A modest definition of bad OL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
I would like to see it broken down by run ranking vs pass pro ranking.

Outside of Robinson the group is pretty decent overall in pass pro.

They can't run block at all but they can at times pass block.

Psycho_X

Legend
I would like to see it broken down by run ranking vs pass pro ranking.

Outside of Robinson the group is pretty decent overall in pass pro.

They can't run block at all but they can at times pass block.

I don't know, they haven't been asked to do much this season because of Keenum's limitations. It'll be curious how they perform when they have to protect a QB who wants to throw it down the field.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
Yeah they suck. a C - pass block team or worse. They are on pace for 40+ sacks given up. And a major F in run blocking. They are so weak its pathetic.

Robert

Rookie
The o line has me really worried about protecting Goff. idk if we can afford it but they need to go after a better left tackle in the offseason seeing how we don't have much draft stock. Grob looks like a complete bust at this point maybe he can turn it around at gaurd

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Meh, I'll insist on blaming the coaching staff for insisting on breaking cohesion on the line. Pass protection has been solid but Keenum's limitations definitely attributed to their shortcomings. Goff's quick release will definitely make them look better than they are.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Yes you still have people making out they aren't playing like total crap this year.

This is pretty much every year. I'd say our O-line has been average throughout Fisher's career. The blunders we have at QB (Clemons, Hill, Davis, Foles) and OCs (Schottenheimer and Cignetti) just made them look bad.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Is it the ZBS, coaching or are these guys just short on talent?

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Im not worried about the pass pro I still think Mannion has the best pocket awarness out of the 3 but Goff has the ability to slide outside the pocket and make throws. A lot of Keenum sacks where actually on him not being able to step up because of his height or his inability to feel the rush. Thats something that Goff shouodnt have any problems with. So i definitely feel like our pass pro is gonna be even better because of who we have under center.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
This alone should get Snisher fired

Jake Mathews has a 79.5 and grades among the highest LT's in the NFL

Greg 'the bust' Robinson has a grade of 34.5 which is 3rd to last in the NFL

Freakin laughable.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
This alone should get Snisher fired

Jake Mathews has a 79.5 and grades among the highest LT's in the NFL

Greg 'the bust' Robinson has a grade of 34.5 which is 3rd to last in the NFL

Freakin laughable.

I preferred Matthews at the draft and still wish we selected him. But I don't care what the PFF people say. I watch the Rams every week. G-Rob has lots of improving to do and isn't worth the #2 pick we invested in him. But he isn't playing like a league's worst LT. For me, the eye test confirms PFF is wrong.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This is pretty much every year. I'd say our O-line has been average throughout Fisher's career. The blunders we have at QB (Clemons, Hill, Davis, Foles) and OCs (Schottenheimer and Cignetti) just made them look bad.

The one common denominator is Boudreau. He did the pre draft workouts and he coached them. Time for Bou to hang it up.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
The one common denominator is Boudreau. He did the pre draft workouts and he coached them. Time for Bou to hang it up.

Yeah I forgot to mention him too. When it comes to evaluating O-line, it's best to judge based on the unit, not he individual pieces. What infuriates me is when there's a lot of shuffling going on, that breaks continuity. And Saffold's regressed mightily as of recent.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Shoot, the entire OL has regressed this year.

How is that possible?

One more year of experience.
One more year of cohesion.
Much better health this year among OL players.

WTF?

Gotta be the coaching, fellas. Technique or scheme. Or both. Unless we believe that 5 starters all simultaneously took a giant step backwards while relatively healthy. C'mon...

I'll go waaaaay out on a limb here and predict that the new coaching staff next year will have these same exact players on OL and Gurley producing at league average level at the very minimum. Probably much higher.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If the weak link according to most is Robinson then why not try to make the weak link stronger? Boudreau has a OLG who was selected in the 3rd round last season sitting on the bench waiting to start. Boudreau has a four yr starting OLT in college, was the Rams starting OT for four seasons (2010 thru 2013) 3 of which were @ left tackle named Rodger Saffold. This same player is our highest paid OL'er & is in the top 5 of the highest paid Ram players. Saffold has been much better this season @ pass blocking that @ run blocking. Jamon Brown has shown to be a better run blocker than pass blocker this season. Its time for some serious tinkering & adjustments to this awful performing OL. ....what's the hold up with getting some improvements done?

Does any member here think that if Boudreau inserted the 6-4 323 pound Jamon Brown in @ OLG & the 6-5 332 pound Rodger Saffold in @ OLT that we would see a decline in overall OL play:thinking: on that left side? Can anyone make an argument :argue: against my suggestion here? I surely open for it...........

Would this seasons on going HOLDNG CALLS that has killed most all offensive series....committed by that present weak link @ OLT continue if Robinson was on the bench?

:bueller:

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

Yes you still have people making out they aren't playing like total crap this year.
believe PFF much? I'm sure Greg's rating is based on penalties...rather is skewed to the negative because of the many holding calls, that may or may not be influenced by his reputation...Case still ran into too many sacks, and never fully made teams pay for stacking the box or sitting on underneath routes...the easiest way to loosen them up is to complete deep passes.
I preferred Matthews at the draft and still wish we selected him. But I don't care what the PFF people say. I watch the Rams every week. G-Rob has lots of improving to do and isn't worth the #2 pick we invested in him. But he isn't playing like a league's worst LT. For me, the eye test confirms PFF is wrong.
Agree with most of this...Worth the #2 pick...maybe, maybe not...I still say until we get this young man playing at his optimal level we won't know what his real worth is...
And when grading a player that's play is based on a unit, PFF is BS.