A few reflections after Day One of FA...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That backup is on the roster already, Bryce Hager.

Quite possibly. We don't know how the Rams feel about some of the backups. We do know that some of the players who didn't get a lot of playing time this year will be expected to take a leap forward in 2016. That's not just a Ram thing, that's what happens in the NFL. And while Snisher makes mistakes, I have vastly more faith in them having a clue towards late round picks and the value of good backups than the Rams had for the previous decade.

RamBill

Legend
PFF’S LIVE FREE-AGENCY NEWS TRACKER

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/03/07/pro-pffs-live-free-agency-news-tracker/

Check back regularly as the PFF team provides updates and reactions on every NFL free-agent signing.

Throughout free agency, the PFF team will be commenting on the biggest signings, news, and rumors from around the league. Be sure to check back regularly for the latest free agency updates.

Mark Barron’s versatility too much for Rams to part ways with
4:10 p.m. ET, Wed., March 9

According to Ian Rapoport, the Rams gave linebacker Mark Barron a five-year deal worth $45 million. It’s amazing to think that only two years after the Rams tossed pennies to the Bucs (fourth- and sixth-round picks) for Barron, they’re making him one of the highest-paid linebackers in the NFL. The safety/linebacker hybrid is currently the “trendy” position in the NFL, and Barron fills the role admirably. The issue is that his deficiencies in coverage that forced his move from safety didn’t just disappear at linebacker—they were just less costly, as he graded out right around average in coverage. He’ll obviously improve with more experience at the position, but right now, all the Rams are paying for is potential. – Mike Renner, @PFF_Mike

Rams re-signing key defender in William Hayes
4:07 p.m. ET, Wed., March 9

With DE Chris Long cut and DT Nick Fairley on the free-agent market, the Rams have come to terms on a new three-year deal with DE William Hayes (first reported by Mike Garafolo), with a maximum value of $21 million. Hayes was our No. 13 edge defender in 2015, and has graded very well the past four years, despite never officially being a full-time starter. In 652 pass-rush snaps the past two seasons, Hayes has racked up 10 sacks and 72 combined hits and pressures. – Josh Liskiewitz, @PFF_Josh

Rodney McLeod reportedly headed to Philadelphia
1:09 p.m. ET, Wed., March 9

The Philadelphia Eagles are reportedly landing Rams FS Rodney McLeod to a five-year, $37 million deal, per Ian Rapoport. McLeod is PFF’s fourth-best FA safety and 20th-overall FA, as he graded as the 10th best safety in 2015. McLeod played over 90 percent of his snaps from the deep safety spot in 2015, as he has been solid in pass coverage the past two seasons, allowing just three touchdowns to go along with three interceptions. It is yet to be seen how this shakes up the Eagles’ defensive backfield, but presumably this means Walter Thurmond is on his way out of the City of Brotherly Love. – John Kosko, @PFF_JohnKosko

Janoris Jenkins to the New York Giants
6.55 a.m. ET, Wed., March 9

With the Rams tagging Trumaine Johnson it was always likely that Janoris Jenkins wouldn’t be making the move with them to Los Angeles. Well so it proved as according to Adam Schefter he’s going to sign a deal with the New York Giants who continue retooling their secondary. Jenkins has been something of a polarizing player since entering the league. Capable of the sublime and the ridiculous, he’s coming off his most solid year which saw him post his best touchdown allowed to interception differential (five to three) while breaking up a further 10 passes. The money he gets will be worth watching as it could set the market for guys like Sean Smith. Jenkins was our 26th ranked corner in 2015.

Rams re-sign WR Brian Quick
6:08 p.m. ET, Wed., March 9

Brian Quick will be following the Rams to Los Angeles, as he’s signed a one-year, $3.75 million deal. Quick missed the beginning of the 2015 season, but still finished with nearly the same amount of offensive snaps as the previous two years. He finished with just 10 catches for 102 yards, both career lows. Quick’s 50.2 player grade ranked 108th out of 121 qualifying wide receivers last season. 2014 was his best season, when he caught 25 balls for 375 yards and three touchdowns—all career highs. – Matt Claassen, @PFF_Matt

Rams re-sign center Tim Barnes
4:54 p.m. ET, Wed., March 9

According to Sam Farmer, the Rams are bringing back starting center Tim Barnes (45.6 overall grade in 2015). In his first year as a starter, he played in all but five snaps over the course of the season, but graded below average in both pass-blocking and run-blocking. Barnes did have two games against the Seahawks and Lions where he looked like one of the better centers in the league, but in more games than not, he wasn’t helping the team. Outside of right tackle Rob Havenstein (76.3), the Rams’ offensive line is a weak point for the team, and bringing back Barnes isn’t going to help their situation. – Nathan Jahnke, @PFF_NateJahnke

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quite possibly. We don't know how the Rams feel about some of the backups. We do know that some of the players who didn't get a lot of playing time this year will be expected to take a leap forward in 2016. That's not just a Ram thing, that's what happens in the NFL. And while Snisher makes mistakes, I have vastly more faith in them having a clue towards late round picks and the value of good backups than the Rams had for the previous decade.
We as fans tend to discard players if they don't become all pros their rookie years. When Joyner was drafted people were extatic that he'd take over at FS because McLeod sucked.

Hager was just special teams while we watched JL be mediocre so he must not be good.

We watched Bradley Marquez do good in limited action but he wasn't given more play time so he must stink.

GROB struggled early in his first year as a staring LT he must be replaced.

There are more but those are good examples of players we fans want gone or replaced because they don't live up to our weekend GM expectations.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Best preview of looming apocalypse
The Los Angeles Rams issued a first-round tender to restricted free-agent quarterback Case Keenum -- a player who has been released three times, traded once for a seventh-round pick and has never had higher than a 47.7 QBR in a season. The Rams say he is their starter entering the offseason, and the move was designed to dissuade opposing teams from signing him to an offer sheet. What's worse? That the Rams were worried about someone stealing him away, or that -- given the desperate quarterback market -- they probably made the right move?

It kinda irked me how the Keenum thing was discussed when it went down. Clearly they could not afford to lose their bridge QB to some idiotic team, and tendered him for a nice backup QB rate of less than $4 million. Nothing wrong with that move, really, but there were a lot of folks laughing at them about it in the media like it was a circus move. Meanwhile they ignore the fact that he's a solid backup caliber QB and he played just as well as some of these clowns who just got huge paydays. But somehow they're not laughing at those teams, which I personally find annoying. Nothing wrong with paying Scam Bradford big money, or Brock Osweiler, or even bringing in Chase to Philly to backup Bradford at $7 million per. Whatever.

Rams brought back the best player from their defense, and the best player available in FA in my estimation: Barron. They had a good day and now can look for FA bargains or go into the draft with their only needs being primarily on offense. Their defense is still loaded.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
According to Ian Rapoport, the Rams gave linebacker Mark Barron a five-year deal worth $45 million. It’s amazing to think that only two years after the Rams tossed pennies to the Bucs (fourth- and sixth-round picks) for Barron, they’re making him one of the highest-paid linebackers in the NFL. The safety/linebacker hybrid is currently the “trendy” position in the NFL, and Barron fills the role admirably. The issue is that his deficiencies in coverage that forced his move from safety didn’t just disappear at linebacker—they were just less costly, as he graded out right around average in coverage. He’ll obviously improve with more experience at the position, but right now, all the Rams are paying for is potential. – Mike Renner, @PFF_Mike

This dude is an effin clown. A moron who clearly does not watch actual football games of players he is discussing. Every single game Barron was in after they stuck him near the LOS in that role he absolutely killed it. The dude made flash play after flash play. Several games where he was second only to Donald in being the best player on the field for us. It's crazy how good he played last year.

Paying for potential? Yeah. Turn on a game and prepare to be amazed you maroon.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It kinda irked me how the Keenum thing was discussed when it went down. Clearly they could not afford to lose their bridge QB to some idiotic team, and tendered him for a nice backup QB rate of less than $4 million. Nothing wrong with that move, really, but there were a lot of folks laughing at them about it in the media like it was a circus move. Meanwhile they ignore the fact that he's a solid backup caliber QB and he played just as well as some of these clowns who just got huge paydays. But somehow they're not laughing at those teams, which I personally find annoying. Nothing wrong with paying Scam Bradford big money, or Brock Osweiler, or even bringing in Chase to Philly to backup Bradford at $7 million per. Whatever.

Rams brought back the best player from their defense, and the best player available in FA in my estimation: Barron. They had a good day and now can look for FA bargains or go into the draft with their only needs being primarily on offense. Their defense is still loaded.

OutSTANDING post, Merlin!

You absolutely nailed it, man.

The pundit ignorance and hypocrisy is strong today. Lol.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea, I'm not seeing a daunting list. But I am disappointed with how FA started.

Rainram

Starter

Yea...clearly there were more than a few people without an understanding of how things work. The Keenum move was a good and smart move. There was no part about it that deserved any ridicule. Weird.

How do people get in the business of football (in any capacity) and not understand these things is beyond me.

My overall take so far (aligns with most people probably)...

McLeod. I'm fine with him walking. I like our safety/secondary depth...Alexander and Bryant.

Jenks and Trumaine. I sure would liked to have kept 'em both. I'll have to see how the rest of the off-season plays out...but player for player, across the board...I think I may have paid the piper. Here again...depends on what else we do and what other talent we can bring in. Not completely heart-broken over losing him, but I'm on the fence a bit...and I wonder if at the end of the day, he would have been worth it. (I also have one eye on future contracts in this regard)

Barron. I know Jrry considered him a bit more expendable (even though he was still a fan). But I love keeping him around! The cost...meh...I can swallow it because I love a talented front 7.

Hayes. Good deal. Thanks to Hayes for playing nice with us...as he may have been able to get a bit more somewhere else. Hope he continues the great production!

Barnes. Okay, fine. But I hope we find better in Rounds 2-4

Quick. Ugh...they just can't let him go can they? lol. But for a guaranteed $1.5M or whatever...might as well keep him another year I guess. Besides...there ain't much in FA, I wouldn't have paid the $7M/per for Jones...so whatever. It just sucks right now that we're lacking at wideout/pass-catchers. And the draft ain't exactly exploding with talent in this area. Hmmm.

One quick mention to our overall roster...We still have a lot of talent here fellas. "The Gold Jacket," Quinn and Brockers, plus our DLIne depth is still among the best in the league. Ogletree healthy, Barron. Ayers is a role player. Color me 'interested' in our LBer depth (Lynch and Hager). Trumaine. TJ. Gaines. Mo. The defense is still plenty good...if they can stay healthy.

Gurley!!! Tavon! OLine can only get better right. Another year for Havenstein, Brown back healthy. GRob has gotta be better, right?...or he's moving inside? QB might be rough...but I'll take efficiency and consistency with an improved ground game. If Lance can get his head out of his @$$, he can be effective.

Not every team rolls out all-stars all over. We need a bit more talent and some good role players. Niners don't worry me. Seattle is getting picked apart. The Cards might be a force, but we play them tough and Palmer is getting older. We are young and hungry!!!