A few reflections after Day One of FA...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Just for purposes of some perspective.

We had some wins, but we had a couple of big losses, too.

Here's what I think we still need. Warning: it's a daunting list.

In no particular order...

QB
WR's (at least 2 of them)
TE
C (at least a backup to Barnes)
DE (the more studly, the better)
MLB (been begging for one for 2 years now, not sold on Tree as MLB just yet)
CB
FS
PK

That's 10 players at a bare minimum.

Our resources to fill those needs?

Draft. Only 6 picks currently, but 5 of them are in the top 110, or so.

FA. But my rough calculations show that we spent approx $36 million today on Tru, Barron, Hayes, Keenum, Barnes, and Quick. That leaves only $18-19 million left, doesn't it? And maybe $5 million needs to be set aside for rookie signings and IR replacement signings. Now we're down to $13-14 million, aren't we?

Capologists should feel free to tweak these numbers. But now we're seeing why the FO felt the need to hold the line on the Jenkins and McLeod negotiations?

Lastly, we have the UDFA class as a resource. But it's not realistic to find starting caliber players there, is it? Development and ST types are much more likely.

So there it is. Sorry for the splash of cold water, but it is what it is. Unless, of course, my calculations are way off base.

Our FO trio will have their hands full this offseason if they hope to finish this renovation by opening day, given the above needs and restrictions.

What did I miss?

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Might be a tough ask to progress our roster from what looked at the end of last season to be one r two positions away from post-season success...

We're suddenly 10 players short - and we need some real quality injections at positions like QB and WR as well as in the secondary.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I don't think the Rams agree with all your list. For instance, Rhaney is the backup to Barnes at C. He wasn't quite strong enough in camp last year to beat Barnes out, but has had a year of strength training under the Rams, after being injured the year before. I would expect him to be a solid backup this year. Obviously the Rams think that Ogletree is the MLB. I suspect any of several backups are viewed as the new FS. Many kickers are UDFA, and Z was so erratic last year that they should be able to find a replacement - assuming they don't resign him still.

Still a lot of holes to fill, but they aren't done yet with free agency either.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
The Rams made the right choice walking away from a few players. E.g. Jenkins, Cook, JL55, Long. Having said that, we are now short several starters and have brought in nobody to replace them. It is still early. But most of the big names are gone. As things stand, barring some luck*, I expect us to be worse in 2016-17 than we were in 2015-16. :( We shall see what Snisher has in store. I know the draft is coming.... but every other team is drafting their own set of prospects, too. The only way I see the draft making a significant impact for us immediately, relative to our peers, is if we grab a stud QB and he happens to be productive right away.

*We had lots of key injuries last year. Ogletree and Quinn are huge names to be without. And seemingly every other injury was to the o-line. If we can get Gaines back to playing good football, keep our stars healthy and productive this year, and avoid every injury attacking the same position group, we might be able to tread water (or even slightly improve) based on that alone. I also think our schedule is a bit easier. But that is always a crap-shoot. There are both teams that exceed expectations and flop every year.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Rams need to get Tru signed to a new deal so he isn't eating up basically $14 mil of cap space. That would help tremendously. But the rams kind of painted themselves into this corner. they way they build in the draft ... going "all in" on either one position or side of the ball, then what happens is all your young talent you drafted and groomed all come due at the same time. They did it on the defensive side of the ball ... and last yr with the OL.

I think for the most part they have done well drafting...especially on the Defensive side of the ball ... but they did it very quick and then you end up with a roster purge on one side.. or at certain positions ... while still needing the other parts.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Likely a long term deal with Tru will lower his 2016 cap hit.

Then again, Demoff has preferred front loaded deals. With Brockers and Ogletree next in line for extensions... He might do it again. Austin is on the radar too.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, I don't think the Rams agree with all your list. For instance, Rhaney is the backup to Barnes at C. He wasn't quite strong enough in camp last year to beat Barnes out, but has had a year of strength training under the Rams, after being injured the year before. I would expect him to be a solid backup this year. Obviously the Rams think that Ogletree is the MLB. I suspect any of several backups are viewed as the new FS. Many kickers are UDFA, and Z was so erratic last year that they should be able to find a replacement - assuming they don't resign him still.

Still a lot of holes to fill, but they aren't done yet with free agency either.

You may be right about Rhaney, Akrasian.

But right now he's the only backup to Barnes, isn't he?

And has he given you reason to think our C position was in good hands if Barnes gets hurt? I mean, we have numerous players to plug in at OG and OT. But C? I would think a better backup would be in order. Could be a very inexpensive one, of course. Or a 4th round pick, depending on who falls.

As to CB and FS, I'm mostly thinking in terms of backup to players already on our roster. But they will still consume picks or FA cap dollars to acquire.

Regarding Tree, it's just my personal belief that a MLB added, leaving Tree on the outside would be a better strategy. Other opinions may vary. Lol.

And I agree that GZ can be replaced by a UDFA. And a damned good one, at that.

Not saying that this renno is hopeless. Just saying it will require careful planning and tough decisions, rather than being a day at the beach. Our resources are very finite.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Also, contracts aren't even so we don't know how much each deal takes in cap this year. You can't just average each year like you, these might be frontloaded

Ram65

Legend
FA. But my rough calculations show that we spent approx $36 million today on Tru, Barron, Hayes, Keenum, Barnes, and Quick. That leaves only $18-19 million left, doesn't it? And maybe $5 million needs to be set aside for rookie signings and IR replacement signings. Now we're down to $13-14 million, aren't we?

I'm not sure on the numbers. Have they all been released as far as cap hit this year? Keep in mind that when/if Tru signs a long term deal the Rams should gain 2-3 or more in cap space.

I think your underestimating players that are on the roster. There are holes but not a many as you think. I'll have to wait and see more till I get really bumped out about the Rams decisions.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think your underestimating players that are on the roster. There are holes but not a many as you think. I'll have to wait and see more till I get really bumped out about the Rams decisions.

Yes. The Rams have a better idea about which backups are ready to be starters - ESPECIALLY in the secondary. One of Fisher's strengths is being able to find and develop the defensive backfield. Part of that means that when players there get expensive, they can move on to less expensive options. JJ will be hard to replace at his 2015 levels - but there are legitimate questions about his maintaining that level. They also have a better idea about EJ's recovery, of course.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
While I believe the OP's $36.mil. calculation is pretty close, it may not be the true 2016 CAP hit for these players. Consider there is until July to sign Tru to a long term contract, and even if it happens to be as high as what Jenkins received, it would shave a few million off the franchise tag dollars. Also, even though the Rams tend to front load contracts, the first year of these contracts are often less than year 2 and 3, so Tru, Barron's & Hayes' 2016 CAP hit may be a bit exaggerated when comparing averages by dividing the money according to the length of the contract. Just guessing, but i'd estimate the 2016 CAP hit for those 6 players as closer to $30.5 to $31.5mil. so long as we get Truman signed to a long-term contract.
Even if we add another available $5.mil to the total, the OP's point is well taken that we went through quite a bit of CAP today without bringing anyone in from outside. I have us closer to $24mil left in available CAP and usually prefer to hold back about $7.mil for the draft class and potential later season injury additions, hopefully giving us closer to $17.mil. Still, these calculations are difficult to process until we see how each individual contract is laid out, that and completing the transition of Tru Johnson from franchisee back to long-term.
Other than the re-signing of Barnes, I was quite happy with todays results for the Rams. JJ was an expected departure imo and McLeod overpriced himself to the point where our front office felt other options would make better sense. Seems several positions may be filled in-house, nice to have some depth for a change. I'm fine with Ogletree at MLB and believe we may have improved the position/unit by the subtraction of Laurinaitis. I was hoping for Marvin Jones to be signed at WR, so it's now up to the draft to upgrade here, hopefully Stedman Bailey makes a miraculous recovery and can rejoin the team soon. Longacre may replace Sims, and Worthington or Trinca-Pasat may replace Fairley. It appears Hayes is replacing Long and Gaines is replacing JJ. Besides the big hole at QB, a vacancy at FS exists which may be filled by Alexander or Joyner, along with a few others at CB, DE, & TE. Center is yet to be determined after Barnes' re-signing and Rhaney's questionable development. The Rams made an unsuccessful run for a blocking TE today, so I have to wonder if Harkey is still part of the overall plan. Anyway, free agency has just begun and there is plenty of time to hunt down depth players, and the draft will offer up another 6 players and a few UDFA's. QB, DE, WR, TE & possibly FS are must positions to improve if the Rams are to take the next step imo, the remaining are depth positions which should be more easily filled thru free agency and the lower rounds of the draft. jmo.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
You might not be sold on Tree as MLB, but the coaching staff is. MLB isn't a need except for depth.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You might not be sold on Tree as MLB, but the coaching staff is. MLB isn't a need except for depth.

I wouldn't be surprised about a mid to late round pick be used for an ILB, if nobody is signed as a backup. But it's not a top priority. They need depth all over. Every year. As every team does.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You know that available cap space (which is just a hair under $20M right now) would be significantly lower, if not depleted, if we dipped our toes in day 1 of the free agent frenzy or succumbed to some of the ludicrous asks some our own players were looking for. Also, by signing Barron and Hayes we kept ourselves out of some of the more expensive parts of free agency {LB and DE). Maybe we could have gotten a QB, but with Brock Osweiler commanding $78M, I think it's safe to say we'll turn our attention to the draft to meet that need. Same with CB and WR. The rest leaves us with some small holes, but that's the case with every team. No team has 100% quality starters and depth. Still quite a few players left in free agency, and some of them might fit nicely. Who thought Barron would turn out to be so good, and we plucked him off a team where he didn't fit and put him in the right situation. We could probably do that again.

RamBill

Legend
The winners and losers of free agency Day 1
By Kevin Seifert

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/199680/the-winners-and-losers-of-free-agency-day-1

Opening day of the NFL's free-agent market is drawing to a close. While we have a moment, let's consider some winners and losers.

Best value
The Minnesota Vikings signed a highly regarded, still-young offensive lineman to fill arguably their biggest need without setting a financial precedent. Guard Alex Boone, 28, will sign a contract that averages $6.6 million annually -- a bit more than half what the Oakland Raiders committed to Kelechi Osemele a day earlier. At the moment, Boone ranks sixth among NFL guards in annual pay, and his $10 million in guarantees ranks No. 10. After Osemele, Boone was the Vikings' best option for shoring up an offensive line that left quarterback Teddy Bridgewater pressured on an NFL-high 37 percent of his dropbacks.

Worst value
The Miami Dolphins took on two descending players and dropped out of the draft's top 10 in a trade that will take some time to understand -- if indeed the reasoning ever becomes clear. Playing with the Philadelphia Eagles last season, Byron Maxwell proved that he doesn't like to tackle and that he is nowhere close to a shutdown corner. Linebacker Kiko Alonso, meanwhile, did nothing to dissuade the notion that he is an injury risk. He has now missed 21 games in the past two seasons. How did this trade do anything but leave the Dolphins with two discards and diminished draft position?

Best fit
Running back Matt Forte is 30 and might not be equipped to take 250 carries in a season anymore. But he is a unique asset, something the New York Jets recognized as they locked him down moments after the market opened. Forte might be the best receiving back in the NFL, and his ability to run sophisticated routes and make difficult catches -- back shoulder, fingertips in traffic, you name it -- will extend his career beyond the point of most running backs. Jets running backs made 94 catches in offensive coordinator Chan Gailey's scheme last season, and if used correctly, Forte could approach that number himself in 2016.

Instantly regrettable
Doug Martin is an above-average NFL running back who has exceeded 1,400 yards in two of his four seasons -- and finished below 500 yards in his other two. He turned 27 earlier this month, an age that is just about the career peak for most running backs. Yet the Tampa Bay Buccaneers gave Martin a five-year deal worth $7 million annually. Last year at this time, the Bucs were so unsure about Martin's future that they declined the fifth-year option in his contract. His new deal will soon mirror the mistakes other teams have made on DeMarco Murray, LeSean McCoy and others.

Under the radar
Receiver Travis Benjamin should blossom now that he's out of Cleveland and catching passes from Philip Rivers in San Diego. Benjamin nabbed 86 receptions and scored eight touchdowns the past two seasons while playing for a Cleveland Browns team whose starting quarterbacks included Josh McCown, Johnny Manziel, Austin Davis, Brian Hoyer and Connor Shaw. Browns QBs completed 58.1 percent of their passes over that period, second-lowest in the NFL. Rivers completed 66.3 percent, fifth-best in the league.

Best preview of looming apocalypse
The Los Angeles Rams issued a first-round tender to restricted free-agent quarterback Case Keenum -- a player who has been released three times, traded once for a seventh-round pick and has never had higher than a 47.7 QBR in a season. The Rams say he is their starter entering the offseason, and the move was designed to dissuade opposing teams from signing him to an offer sheet. What's worse? That the Rams were worried about someone stealing him away, or that -- given the desperate quarterback market -- they probably made the right move?

Worst timing
New York Giants general manager Jerry Reese operated Wednesday like an executive on the hot seat. Reese guaranteed a combined $76.5 million to defensive end Olivier Vernon and defensive tackle Damon Harrison, on top of the $8.5 million he had already committed to defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul. Building a dominant defensive line is a reliable, winning strategy. In this case, however, Reese could have done it more cheaply. Defensive line is the strength of the 2016 draft, but a mandate to improve the roster immediately meant Reese didn't have enough equity to draft and develop.

Best generator of overzealous speculation
Last week, the Philadelphia Eagles signed quarterback Sam Bradford to a deal that guarantees him $22 million over the next 12 months. That figure made clear Bradford would be the Eagles' 2016 starter. Wednesday, they signed career backup Chase Daniel to a deal that guarantees him $12 million. Daniel's deal is rich for a No. 2 but necessary when the starter has the kind of injury history that Bradford does. It will also suggest to some that he will be given a chance to beat out Bradford, but that will only happen if Bradford completely bombs in coach Doug Pederson's system.

Best reaction
So a team assembles the most unorthodox front office in recent NFL memory, and you're surprised/hysterical/dubious when it doesn't make conventional moves at the outset of free agency? The Cleveland Browns have three Harvard graduates making and guiding their long-term plan. One (Sashi Brown) is the team's former attorney and another (Paul DePodesta) has never worked for a football team. I don't know if they made a calculated decision to part ways with Benjamin, offensive lineman Mitchell Schwartz, safety Tashaun Gipson and center Alex Mack -- or whether the departures were a function of inexperience (or even incompetence). Same goes for their failure to cut ties with Manziel at their earliest opportunity. But I'm in no way surprised that the Browns didn't follow conventional wisdom on Day 1. Neither should you be.

And a few quick hits:

I think the Denver Broncos deserve some blame for failing to develop Brock Osweiler into a quarterback they would pay market value for. But as ESPN Insider columnist Mike Sando writes, general manager John Elway deserves credit for recognizing the situation for what it was.

Anyone who wants their team to sign quarterback Robert Griffin III should read what former Washington tight end Chris Cooley said about him.

ESPN Green Bay Packers reporter Rob Demovsky is our own version of the Maytag repairman. The Packers once again were on the free-agent sidelines even amid rumors they would have interest in Forte.

New Chicago Bears linebacker Danny Trevathan is one of the NFL's top coverage players at his positions. That's one of the assessments in this ESPN Insider piece on his move from the Broncos.

The Atlanta Falcons upgraded their offensive line with free-agent center Alex Mack, assuming he can stay healthy. ESPN Falcons reporter Vaughn McClure considered center one of the team's most pressing needs.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
You know that available cap space (which is just a hair under $20M right now) would be significantly lower, if not depleted, if we dipped our toes in day 1 of the free agent frenzy or succumbed to some of the ludicrous asks some our own players were looking for. Also, by signing Barron and Hayes we kept ourselves out of some of the more expensive parts of free agency {LB and DE). Maybe we could have gotten a QB, but with Brock Osweiler commanding $78M, I think it's safe to say we'll turn our attention to the draft to meet that need. Same with CB and WR. The rest leaves us with some small holes, but that's the case with every team. No team has 100% quality starters and depth. Still quite a few players left in free agency, and some of them might fit nicely. Who thought Barron would turn out to be so good, and we plucked him off a team where he didn't fit and put him in the right situation. We could probably do that again.
One Player we might go after is CB Brent Grimes! He got released today! He could be a good replacement for Jenkins!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
One Player we might go after is CB Brent Grimes! He got released today! He could be a good replacement for Jenkins!
I think we're out of the market for corners who will be 33 before the season starts.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the rams knew this day was coming years ago. that's why they stocked up on corners and safeties. barron was a godsend. hayes means the dline doesn't miss a beat. they will draft a de high to take over next season. i'm not worried in the slightest.

except they still have no qb. hopefully mannion makes the jump this season.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't be surprised about a mid to late round pick be used for an ILB, if nobody is signed as a backup. But it's not a top priority. They need depth all over. Every year. As every team does.
That backup is on the roster already, Bryce Hager.