A few random thoughts after the Cowboy game...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I haven't rewatched, mind you. Not sure I will, in fact.

But after the first watch, here goes...

Terrible way to inaugurate the first home game, huh? A deflating 101 yard TD return on the opening kickoff. To be fair, I saw a clear block in the back that should have drawn a flag. More like a tackle, really. Other reports I've read where posters watched it in slo mo replay claimed that there were 3 infractions, actually. Refs are in preseason form, too. But still...

The single biggest takeaway from this game? The Cowboy 1's abused our 1's early on. It was 24-7 at halftime, y'all. Lots of work to do on all 3 units these next 3 weeks. Among the starters, anyway.

I'm just gonna get this out of the way, now. I think any thought on Kroenke's part of extending Fisher just yet is premature. Waaaaay premature. If Fisher turns in a 6-2 mid season record, then sure. Go for it. Or a 10-6 record, maybe even playoff appearance at season's end, then yeah, absolutely. But please, NOT after just one preseason game. ESPECIALLY one where we trailed 24-7 at home against the Cowboy 1's. C'mon...

The following is a stream of consciousness thing, so bear with me...

Best rookie QB on the field was clearly Dak Prescott. He toyed with our 1's while in there. Had a 154.5 rating at one point. HE looked like the #1 overall pick, huh?

We can win with Keenum. Won't be real pretty, but I think we can win with him. In a 9-7 kinda way, I mean. His job is to keep us in the hunt until Goff gets his act together, and I think he can and will do at least that.

Not gonna sugarcoat it. Goff was underwhelming, wasn't he? But as Gruden pointed out, there was not a lot of help from his teammates, either. Some good signs, some areas that he needs to improve upon, and quickly. I no longer feel that he is 50-50 to start opening day. He'll get there at some point, but he doesn't look to me like he'll give us the best chance to win by opening day. Oh, Fisher might want to consider surrounding Goff with the 1st string OL next week. (sarcasm alert here)

Camp reporters were right about Mannion. The kid has come a long long way since last year. His offseason workouts with his personal QB guru appear to have paid big dividends. Now looks like he could be our #2 next year behind Goff, making Keenum expendable. Not to mention saving a roster spot for someone else on the 53. Are the naysayers about the Mannion pick having second thoughts? What an inspiring comeback win he executed.

Well, we seem to be in good shape at RB behind Gurley, huh? Tre who? Tremendous battle brewing for those 3rd and 4th spots. I think both Brown and Green make the 53.

I think I underestimated Kush at C. I watched him some and thought he played well. I'm less worried this morning about that position. I guess I overreacted to those bad snaps of his to Goff last week.

I thought GRob had a pretty danged good game. I kinda focused on him and he seems much better this year to me. Let's give both GRob and Bentley some love. I know it's early and I also know that the Cowboy DL are not the league's best, but still...

Higbee certainly didn't disappoint, did he? Camp reporters nailed this early on. Might even go so far as to say a star was born? We got a glimpse of the future? Any other cliche's you can think of? Loved the pick on draft day, and I love it even more now. This kid is a legit weapon for the next 10 years. After seeing how lucky we were to have both Donald and Gurley fall to us, it's kinda amazing to get to snatch Higbee in the 4th round. Wow!

Our WR's Cooper and Thomas were disappointing. Heck, they were very disappointing. Both better pick it up in the next 3 weeks if they want to see significant time on the field this fall. Yeah, Cooper looked good on returns, but we all know he is expected to be a helluva lot more than a returner.

Was it just me, but didn't Quick seem just so so?

I had hoped to see more targets for Duke Williams, but there's still 3 weeks to go.

McRoberts flashed just a little bit. Probably more of a PS candidate though, don't you think?

Those of us that have been praising Spruce certainly have our chests out today. Like a bunch of proud papas. The kid is a football player and just seems to make play after play. Another find that the camp reporters nailed quickly.

Was Ogletree hurt early last night? I mean, he barely had a cameo appearance before Hager took his place. I wanted to see Ogletree vs the Cowboy 1's. Our LB's seemed generally underwhelming, huh? Or was it just me? Maybe I'll rewatch and get a better impression on their play. Maybe...

Okay, I'm a little nervous now about our CB play. TruJo will be fine, of course. But Gaines is being held back to 3rd string? Is his hammy okay, or not, dammit! Sensabaugh might be a wonderful person, but his play in this game was very disappointing. Roberson and Joyner didn't exactly knock my socks off, either. Prescott seemed to be toying with them.

Mike Jordan, Jabriel Washington, and Troy Hill kinda stood out at times to me. Then again, they were going against 3rd stringers. Perhaps GW was running some sophisticated D schemes that were too subtle for me? I dunno. But I sure hope our CB's look better next week. I mean, a LOT better.

Nobody jumped out at me at S, either good or bad. Anybody feel differently?

Easley and Coples seemed to be kinda fitting in, don't you think? By opening day I think that they will be valuable rotational assets on the best DL in the league. Or am I being too optimistic?

Some fine tuning on kickoff placement strategy still needed, huh? The tinkering kind due to the new rule. We'll get there.

Hekker looks to be in mid season form. Not that anyone is surprised.

Our "new" O under Boras and Groh has a good feel to me. More unpredictable and more effective. Once Goff gets his feet underneath him, together with the likes of Gurley, Britt, Austin, Higbee, Spruce, and who knows else... Man, this could be a fun O to watch while the D gets rested up on the sideline this year.

That's it for now.

Comments welcome from one and all.
Edit Reply Quote Report

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Good write up. We haven't had a decent return man since 2013, so I'm hoping Lucky didn't just get lucky on that return. It'd be nice to have shorter fields to work with. As much as I can't stand pre-season, we have a lot to work on, so I'm glad there are practice games. That game had to been EASILY double the amount of viewers for any (if not all) PS games this year. It felt like a regular season game. I'm so glad football is back.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Nice post!

I agree with all that you said. (like my opinion matters and that you need my validation)

The Coples/Easley assessment caught my eye. I think they both started out slow but then got into the rhythm of the game. Good pick-ups for DL depth.

Kush, he will become a media star with the tank top bit. I like what I saw and he is the #2 center now. Don't know if he can play any other swing position but he could be pushing Barnes. Nice to have competition don't ya think?

Spruce and Higbee - those two will become solid performers. A draft day steal and a UDFA steal.

Quick, like you said didn't impress. More or less out there doing what he is supposed to do. I want to see more Duke also.

I'll stop there, no need to repeat your sentiments.

Of course the come from behind win makes this all a bit easier to critique but all in all, I see promise in this team.

Thanks for your thoughts and take care,

VRF

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
That game had to been EASILY double the amount of viewers for any (if not all) PS games this year. It felt like a regular season game. I'm so glad football is back
On the news this morning they said it was the largest crowd to watch a pre season game in NFL History.
I really like the way Dak Looked @Rynie I thought Jackson looked good also. I would be disappointed if I were a cowboy fan that Fuller wasn't more Involved.

As a Ram fan beyond the stellar play of Higbeast, Spruce and Mannion my hats off to our unnoticed run blocking efficiency, anyone we put in ran like the wind, unfortunately that often is not a wealth of talent at RB but a very effective OLine. That being said we have a wealth of talent at RB

Last edited:

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I agree with just about everything you posted. On Brian Quick .... by now...since he is healthy, I expect him to be balling out. He's not. Looks very average and doesn't bring much to the table. i would rather keep a guy like Williams if i am going to bet on "potential" ... because BQ has had enough time to turn it on. I am not impressed.

lockdnram21

Legend
I agree with just about everything you posted. On Brian Quick .... by now...since he is healthy, I expect him to be balling out. He's not. Looks very average and doesn't bring much to the table. i would rather keep a guy like Williams if i am going to bet on "potential" ... because BQ has had enough time to turn it on. I am not impressed.
He actually made. Catch... Didn't look like keenum was looking for him. The only person Mannion looked for was spruce

lockdnram21

Legend
How was he going to ball out if they don't make. Effort to give him the ball.him and Britt only got 1 target

fearsomefour

Legend
To me pluses....
Kush, Higbee, Spruce, Easely, Mannion and a lack of injuries for both teams.
Negatives....
The normal things for the Rams it seems, dropped passes, getting crossed up and d line stunts and bad G play.

jjab360

Legend
Seems like a lot of overreaction tbh.

I will say that on the QB front, Goff threw strikes on the money that neither Keenum or Mannion even attempted. The throws across the field to Higbee were darts and the throw to Cooper was a dime.

Mannion looked fine dinking and dunking but was off target on pretty much every throw more than 7-10 yards through the air. Sadly, that seems to be the book on him at this point... Foles 2.0. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, there's a spot for QBs like Foles and Mannion in this league.

I will say the one thing that wasn't an overreaction was Thomas' and Cooper's poor showings. Our receivers need to get their shit together, and fast.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So far Titan fans were right about CB Coty Sensabaugh....Seems to be always a day late and a dollar short. Joyner not much better, however, I am biased because I never understood why the Rams traded up to get him.

In fairness to Sensabaugh, he was lined up against one of the premier WR's in the NFL and was with him step for step, but just could not break up the play. Joyner has no excuse for getting beat by Terrence Newman and the pass rush was non existent against the first team OL of Dallas.

Running Backs played really well and in fairness to Brian Quick, he made some great blocks, it was his block that created the seam for Benny Cunningham on the Rams first touchdown. Camp reports have been right on point about the likes of Spruce and Mannion. Mannion really got rid of the ball very quick and even moved in the pocket to create more time albeit against the 3's.

Overall the Cowboys have an excellent offense, but the QB was a rookie and the Cowboy defense is IMO going to be at the bottom of the league and I don't care how creative Rod Marinelli gets, but for the Los Angeles Rams there is plenty of work to do and as to the extensions for Fisher & Snead, IMO, there is the relocation factor and I feel ESK is committed to the regime, however, I look for a two year extension and if the team does not enter post season by 2018, enter David Shaw!

Gilley

UDFA
Sometimes I feel like I don't know crap about football because in all honesty, I thought Goff actually looked good from what we got to see. It wasn't much, but he was throwing darts and came out firing even after getting rocked on that first throw. He did about as good as he could with the receivers he had, in my opinion. That throw to Cooper was beautiful. It just needed to be caught.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Are the naysayers about the Mannion pick having second thoughts? What an inspiring comeback win he executed.

I've always thought it was just a matter of time. Call me crazy but our depth may read 1) Keenum 2) Mannion 3) Goff and stay that way all season if they have success. Goff is not ready and it's for the same reason Mannion wasn't, learning. Rams may not need Goff this season, and that's a good thing.

Not gonna sugarcoat it. Goff was underwhelming, wasn't he?

Yep. Not dumping on the kid, he had some pretty throws, but he needs time.

Well, we seem to be in good shape at RB behind Gurley, huh? Tre who? Tremendous battle brewing for those 3rd and 4th spots. I think both Brown and Green make the 53.

Man, they had some fun runs out there. My thoughts exactly.

Higbee certainly didn't disappoint, did he?

Cook should take notes, not that it will help him.

Our WR's Cooper and Thomas were disappointing.

Yeah, not impressed at this point.

Was it just me, but didn't Quick seem just so so?

Quick seemed like quick. I wish Goff had hit him on that deep ball down the right side, I really wanted to see if he's regained his confidence and would fight for the ball.

Those of us that have been praising Spruce certainly have our chests out today.

Really nice first outing.

Our "new" O under Boras and Groh has a good feel to me. More unpredictable and more effective. Once Goff gets his feet underneath him, together with the likes of Gurley, Britt, Austin, Higbee, Spruce, and who knows else... Man, this could be a fun O to watch while the D gets rested up on the sideline this year.

It had its moments. There is hope!

RamzFanz

Damnit

I will say that on the QB front, Goff threw strikes on the money that neither Keenum or Mannion even attempted. The throws across the field to Higbee were darts and the throw to Cooper was a dime.

Mannion looked fine dinking and dunking but was off target on pretty much every throw more than 7-10 yards through the air. Sadly, that seems to be the book on him at this point... Foles 2.0. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, there's a spot for QBs like Foles and Mannion in this league.

I will say the one thing that wasn't an overreaction was Thomas' and Cooper's poor showings. Our receivers need to get their crap together, and fast.

Way too soon to judge Mannion, but his completion rate is sweet, very unlike Foles. I agree the passes were mostly short.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

I will say the one thing that wasn't an overreaction was Thomas' and Cooper's poor showings. Our receivers need to get their crap together, and fast.

It looks to me like Goff can make throws Keenum and Mannion cannot. They're limited on what throws they can make and defenses will take advantage of that. Anyone who thinks Mannion is better is not paying attention. Having a better game in preseason doesn't make someone the better player. Goff had a less that ideal start. But even with the limited pass attempts, he clearly looked like the quarterback with the most upside.

For Thomas and Cooper we can only hope it was the first game action in the NFL and they'll get better. If Cooper holds onto that ball and they go on to score from there, the perception of Goff's first game would be totally different.

RamzFanz

Damnit
It looks to me like Goff can make throws Keenum and Mannion cannot. They're limited on what throws they can make and defenses will take advantage of that. Anyone who thinks Mannion is better is not paying attention. Having a better game in preseason doesn't make someone the better player. Goff had a less that ideal start. But even with the limited pass attempts, he clearly looked like the quarterback with the most upside.

For Thomas and Cooper we can only hope it was the first game action in the NFL and they'll get better. If Cooper holds onto that ball and they go on to score from there, the perception of Goff's first game would be totally different.

His quick release and pretty throws were on display. He has the skill sets.

Mannion was the best QB on the field yesterday though and that's a good thing. Goff will probably not be ready for quite a while. I'll also gladly eat my words if he emerges.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
I don't know why everyone is saying Goff didn't look good. What game were y'all watching? He showed nice feet, a quick release, and was hitting receivers right in the chest. If Cooper had held on to the ball that would've been the best pass in the game. I'm not going to hold that interception against him when he was getting leveled as he threw. I honestly was pleased with what I saw.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The biggest difference is that Mannion's dinks and dunks were on time and in the catch radius where the player could catch and get YAC. I liked what I saw out of him. But let's not get too committed to any player good or bad after one pre-season game.

And also, my guess is that Fisher didn't like the match-ups he saw on the line and the fact that Marinelli was dialing up blitzes. Seemed like a good move pulling Goff in that situation. It got Mannion some extra work so I think it was a win/win.