A few random thoughts after the Cowboy game...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Goff will probably not be ready for quite a while.
If by "quite a while", you mean a few weeks, then I agree. Otherwise I have no idea how you can make this statement from what we have seen from Goff thus far. He had exactly one poor throw out of the 9 he attempted. The ball to Cooper was a throw only he can make consistently.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
This is like the anti-thread of what I posted.

The Cowboy 1's abused our 1's early on. It was 24-7 at halftime, y'all. Lots of work to do on all 3 units these next 3 weeks. Among the starters, anyway.

That's the thing though. It wasn't our "1s".

But please, NOT after just one preseason game. ESPECIALLY one where we trailed 24-7 at home against the Cowboy 1's. C'mon...

Again, not the 1s. On either side.

He toyed with our 1's while in there. Had a 154.5 rating at one point. HE looked like the #1 overall pick, huh?

Again, not the 1s. The only 1s were Terrance Williams and Dez Bryant. And they go against Lamarcus Joyner and Coty Sensabaugh. Dallas WRs win every time.

I thought GRob had a pretty danged good game. I kinda focused on him and he seems much better this year to me.

IDK what is news about that. He was getting better last year, and if he put in the work can continue that.

Our WR's Cooper and Thomas were disappointing. Heck, they were very disappointing. Both better pick it up in the next 3 weeks if they want to see significant time on the field this fall.

IDK what you were expecting for 4th and 6th round picks. They weren't gonna magically become Torry Holt and Ike Bruce after 3 weeks of training camp.

Was it just me, but didn't Quick seem just so so?

I think it was just you.

Was Ogletree hurt early last night? I mean, he barely had a cameo appearance before Hager took his place. I wanted to see Ogletree vs the Cowboy 1's.

That's the point earlier. It wasn't the 1s. Alec was just one of many that hardly played, if at all.

Okay, I'm a little nervous now about our CB play. TruJo will be fine, of course. But Gaines is being held back to 3rd string? Is his hammy okay, or not, dammit! Sensabaugh might be a wonderful person, but his play in this game was very disappointing. Roberson and Joyner didn't exactly knock my socks off, either. Prescott seemed to be toying with them.

I'm not. EJ Gaines being held out is to avoid aggravating that injury.

Easley and Coples seemed to be kinda fitting in

They are Chris Long and Nick Fairley replacements. If one of them have to come in for Michael Brockers or Robert Quinn, they'll be fine.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Ok..... Let me get a few things out of the way.......
1. It was first pre-season game. And if Jeff Fisher teams have taught you anything Fisher doesn't exactly care about the preseason....yeah...maybe because this game had a bit more outside exposure there was a bit more emphasis....but don't kid yourself........it meant more the the C-boys firsts than ours....(because the important 1s....weren't playing for us...and yes...those who want to point out Romo didn't play...that's find...but Bryant being in there into the 2nd quarter....kind of ruins that argument beyond Romo....).
2. They wanted things on film. It's always the MO for Fisher teams to get something on film to build off of. And boy did they get some crap....(or should I simply say shit....) on film. the defense has much to work on. But not having Quinn or Hayes changes everything. Along with our penchant to vanillaize anything defensively setting up the first few games. Gaines will make us better, but no one should think Sensabaugh was going to be JJ the 2nd coming....even JJ sucked during preseason because it isn't taken seriously.
3. Got some good play from our 3rd and fourth teams. As always it's fun to actually watch the guys who want to be out there. It's much different from the guys who don't. but I liked a lot of good efforts from our offensive rookies. Spruce looks like a find. Higbee as well. Greene and Brown (even though he isn't a rook...) both ran well. and Mannion definitely isn't the same wide eyed kid we saw last year. But they need to shine....and last night they did. Don't be surprised. But many will not be around this time in 3 weeks....... (probably most I mentioned will be...but you got the jist....)
4. Goff has a ways to go...... Yes, he got hit with a rook mistake of not seeing a delayed blitz....(not to mention his line missed it too............) but he picked himself up and came back and made some good throws.....yes, some of the better ones we not caught....but that wasn't Goff's fault. His throwing motion (at this point....) looks a bit strange. just something in the mechanics looks forced. But he'll be ok. besides, he ain't the bellcow we will hang our hats on anyway.........
5. Chill.............I know it's been a long offseason where much has happened and we want to get our football critique on and put some of the side issues behind us on this team........but it's preseaon game number 1. There will be some drastic changes to every team in the league over the next few weeks ours included. fisher has been there and he doesn't want everyone to burn out. he needs this team to peak in 4 weeks.....not yesterday. Mistakes will happen deep into the season, but we have to understand this still is a very young team that will step on our proverbial dick now and again....even when we hit our stride........and we're barely crawling. but yes....if 2 weeks from now the same mistakes are being made....then by all means bitch, cuss, whine.....then you'll have your right....but game 1 of preseason?!?!?!?!?
6. Good to see everyone again....... I've been lurking all off season w/ a quip here and there but yesterday it was good to see the gang out in force. And yes.... we have a few new ones that have much to learn but with the guidance of the old guard..... (throws a beleaguered Mojo a bottle of Jack and watches him drain it........) we'll get there. but it's good to have football back and have Logistics off the table as a debate subject.....

Go Rams!

RamzFanz

Damnit
If by "quite a while", you mean a few weeks, then I agree. Otherwise I have no idea how you can make this statement from what we have seen from Goff thus far. He had exactly one poor throw out of the 9 he attempted. The ball to Cooper was a throw only he can make consistently.

I suspect the lack of a 2 minute drill shows he's not ready in his education. We need to see more.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The single biggest takeaway from this game? The Cowboy 1's abused our 1's early on.
I get the feeling that our passing defenders got abused....specifically our corners...D-Line didn't look like it was fucking people up either...

Thought our Offense was decent. Running game had some juice..

Giving up a 101 yard return puts some ST players on notice...need a few games to see if there are replacements on the roster...
ABused..no...but definitely punched us in the mouth...the defense wasn't sharp.

Not gonna sugarcoat it. Goff was underwhelming, wasn't he?
My one complaint...Why throw your major investment in there with the 2nd team line? Reynolds misses an easy pass off...int...Williams is 2nd team over Battle? Donnall is 2nd team??? Really...Terrible pass blocking by this unit...I wanted to still see more...seemed like we were in good field position when stuff was happening. USED HIGBEE EXCELLENTLY...
But, because of the way the pressure was on him...I wish we had a lil more mobility...
Was it just me, but didn't Quick seem just so so?
Caught a wide open 15 yard out...was overthrown by Goff, who was under pressure..didn't give him a chance as the ball sailed out of bounds..had some great blocks in a dominant run game..and forced a fumble on Goff's pick...It was you 43. LOL

Feeling you about Fish...don't understand why you put that line in front of Goff. If Mannion had played last year, he'd be WAY ahead of Goff...NOt sure I understand why we pick up Coty Sensabaugh? He's tight on his man, but his ball skills...we're in trouble if he's playing...Joyner...man...Fisher is under a microscope..he usually comes out swinging...lets see...Preseason game 3 will tell alot.

In fairness to Sensabaugh, he was lined up against one of the premier WR's in the NFL and was with him step for step, but just could not break up the play.
No excuses...I think Williams put Sensabaugh & Joyner on the Dallas #1 wrs for a reason...To see if they can play...
Well, I miss EJ Gaines now...wanna see Roberson & Hill more now...

My thoughts...great running by the starters...Keenum did what he was working on in camp. Wish Quick was in the plan more...Huge 3rd down drop by the new leader at wr....just bad karma..then Cooper drops a big one...Thomas too...they went in the 4th & 6th for a reason...Cooper did look explosive on returns...but if he's like the supposed "leader" of the receivers...
Our reserves kicked ass...no other way to say it...Damn...Nelson fucking Spruce...welcome...now...it's time to see if it works vs the 1st team...Right now...I'm moving Spruce, Duke, and Quick AHEAD of Tavon, Thomas, and Cooper... a lil competition never hurt.
Maybe moving Mannion up too...just to see...

TexasRam

Legend
Trust me on this as someone who has played a lot of corner... Sensabaugh and Joyner aren't going to cut it at corner.

Neither has the instincts to play the position.

The sooner we move on the better

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is like the anti-thread of what I posted.

That's the thing though. It wasn't our "1s".

Again, not the 1s. On either side.

Again, not the 1s. The only 1s were Terrance Williams and Dez Bryant. And they go against Lamarcus Joyner and Coty Sensabaugh. Dallas WRs win every time.

IDK what is news about that. He was getting better last year, and if he put in the work can continue that.

IDK what you were expecting for 4th and 6th round picks. They weren't gonna magically become Torry Holt and Ike Bruce after 3 weeks of training camp.

I think it was just you.

That's the point earlier. It wasn't the 1s. Alec was just one of many that hardly played, if at all.

I'm not. EJ Gaines being held out is to avoid aggravating that injury.

They are Chris Long and Nick Fairley replacements. If one of them have to come in for Michael Brockers or Robert Quinn, they'll be fine.

Just two things, Angry...

We must have been watching two different games.

And it's ALMOST like you got up on the "snarky" side of the bed this morning. Lol.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Trust me on this as someone who has played a lot of corner... Sensabaugh and Joyner aren't going to cut it at corner.

Well, that's a concern because they paid for Sensabaugh and traded up for Joyner. Now IMO the problem is that the both of them are not primary CB's, they are nickle and dime backs and I concur I would look more towards Roberson & Hill, but as I posted back during the first OTA's E.J. Gaines is a player the Rams need to revert back to his rookie form and stay healthy, if not, the RCB position is going to drive all of us crazy all season long.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Good to see you posting again Bomebadeeda, and with a very good one.

I'd like to add, GW had the DB's playing soft and off, he's done that the past 2 pre-seasons. Rams played soft with both 1st teams. Fisher likes to "ease" into the pre-season, keeps injuries down. Didn't risk Quinn, Hayes, only played Brockers one series. Sat other "ones" after a series or two.

Don't get excited folks, Rams are easing into the season, and like the coaching staff, I'm sick and tired of key players not making it out of TC and pre-season and ending up on IR. Look at the last few years. Gaines, Ogletree, Saffold, Long, the list goes on. Rams need to get out of TC and pre-season without injury to a starter for a change.
Trying to offset injury is reflected in the way they approach the pre-season games. We saw it yesterday in the 1st half, vanilla offense, soft coverage D.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Just two things, Angry...

We must have been watching two different games.

And it's ALMOST like you got up on the "snarky" side of the bed this morning. Lol.

It's not snark. We watched the same game. We just had different expectations from the first preseason game. And what you described (1s getting "abused") is something I don't agree with at all.

I feel this year's preseason has been more hyped than others. Hey, don't get me wrong, I watched all the games that were on tv (for fun, b/c I want to see as much football as possible). And they were all the same: starters barely playing and a bunch of meh everywhere else.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Too much analysis for the 1st preseason game where the only planning the coaches do is telling the players to just go out there and play.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

I'm almost to this point myself....Almost..I've seen a bunch of Joyner....I'm learning Sensabaugh....and personally, it's not a lesson that's going smoothly...

JRobinson

MiLB

Whoa whoa whoa brother.... what? I ask that you would elaborate on what you mean by this statement.

Joyer has been getting better since he stepped onto the field as a rookie, and to deny that would be absurd because the track record is on the film, and from the words of our coach. As it seems, you're referring to the play which he got beat on the double move by Williams. There is nothing instinctual about that particular play, that was just man-to-man coverage as you well know since you played the position. If you watch the replay, Joyner did an outstanding job in coverage on that play. It just so happens that it took a perfect throw and catch to complete the play. Give credit where credit is due rather than condemning a player that did a good job on his own behalf. If you want to criticize the lack of size of Joyner, or say that it was a poor mismatch on the Rams part, then that is completely fine. But again, to criticize a players "instincts" would not be the correct way of reading into Joyner's performance on this play.

Instincts requires one to be able to pre-read a play, or to pre-read a route, or to change the outcome of a play when another player has a mental error and is out of position. Instincts is realizing that although the defensive call may be a cover two on a 3rd and 12, that it is highly likely for a screen or a draw to be called, and making an impactful play realizing the situation. So if you referring to things like that when you say "instincts", I feel that there is not been close to enough evidence for you to make that statement IMO. So again, please elaborate on what you mean.

* there's no need to elaborate on Sensabaugh as his play was the exact same as Joyner's play. Perfect throw, perfect catch.

lockdnram21

Legend
I'm worried about both cornerbacks.. Tru was getting torched to. We don't have the benefit of having another good cb on other side so Tru is going to have to shadow receivers. Me personally don't think he can... I think we will be spending our 2nd round pick in next draft on a cb

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm worried about both cornerbacks.. Tru was getting torched to. We don't have the benefit of having another good cb on other side so Tru is going to have to shadow receivers. Me personally don't think he can... I think we will be spending our 2nd round pick in next draft on a cb

I dunno, lockdn.

Both TruJo and a healthy Gaines are proven commodities in real games when everything is on the line and against opposing quality starters. Might be a bit premature to think that they will not be able to do the job this year as starters together.

I know that you're disappointed by the loss of Jenkins. But I think that this will work out just fine.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me greatly if a healthy Gaines had a better year than a healthy Jenkins. How 'bout THEM apples? Lol.

lockdnram21

Legend
I dunno, lockdn.

Both TruJo and a healthy Gaines are proven commodities in real games when everything is on the line and against opposing quality starters. Might be a bit premature to think that they will not be able to do the job this year as starters together.

I know that you're disappointed by the loss of Jenkins. But I think that this will work out just fine.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me greatly if a healthy Gaines had a better year than a healthy Jenkins. How 'bout THEM apples? Lol.
It has nothing to do with Jenkins.. I just don't see tru covering number 1 receivers full time..

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Seems like a lot of overreaction tbh.

I will say that on the QB front, Goff threw strikes on the money that neither Keenum or Mannion even attempted. The throws across the field to Higbee were darts and the throw to Cooper was a dime.

Mannion looked fine dinking and dunking but was off target on pretty much every throw more than 7-10 yards through the air. Sadly, that seems to be the book on him at this point... Foles 2.0. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, there's a spot for QBs like Foles and Mannion in this league.

I will say the one thing that wasn't an overreaction was Thomas' and Cooper's poor showings. Our receivers need to get their crap together, and fast.

If your going to go that route !! I call total BS. --
--Case looked good & he was not in a 2 minute situation. Thomas missed a catch with him, but Kendrick made plays just like Higbee. Higbee real looks like a stud,& bailed The Rams & Goff out by breaking a tackle & still getting out of bounds gaining an additional 10 yards.
-- That moving of the ball call killed a drive.Case should have trusted his O-Line. That hole closed up fast,but he still had a pocket to throw.

---Agree WR's need to get there crap together. Kenny Britt needs to block better.
Brian Quick is tough in red zone,but the truth is he does not separate in open field. Sad spot to be in .
Tavon Austin can't miss that out by Case Keenum. TALK about a Throw ??
That is a first down throw that was flat out dropped.There goes 2 drives that died because of mental errors. Case did his job, & he did it well. He runs The Rams offense real well.
--I don't know if you watch the end of last season when Keenum threw those balls to Kenny Britt for some nice TD's.
---Yes Goff has the better arm & future. That does not take anything away from how solid Case Keenum is.

lockdnram21

Legend
If your going to go that route !! I call total BS. --
--Case looked good & he was not in a 2 minute situation. Thomas missed a catch with him, but Kendrick made plays just like Higbee. Higbee real looks like a stud,& bailed The Rams & Goff out by breaking a tackle & still getting out of bounds gaining an additional 10 yards.
-- That moving of the ball call killed a drive.Case should have trusted his O-Line. That hole closed up fast,but he still had a pocket to throw.

---Agree WR's need to get there crap together. Kenny Britt needs to block better.
Brian Quick is tough in red zone,but the truth is he does not separate in open field. Sad spot to be in .
Tavon Austin can't miss that out by Case Keenum. TALK about a Throw ??
That is a first down throw that was flat out dropped.There goes 2 drives that died because of mental errors. Case did his job, & he did it well. He runs The Rams offense real well.
--I don't know if you watch the end of last season when Keenum threw those balls to Kenny Britt for some nice TD's.
---Yes Goff has the better arm & future. That does not take anything away from how solid Case Keenum is.
From what I seen qbs rarely looked past 1st read and didn't look down field. Seems like they were focused on underneath