A few general Monday morning thoughts...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Fisher held out Gurley for almost the entire pre-season. A huge mistake. He wanted to avoid Gurley getting injured, but by not playing he never got a feel for the game.
I disagree. Peterson was always held out of preseason and he did just fine. Plus Gurley has had 7 games to get a 'feel for the game'. A couple more carries during preseason wouldn't have made a difference IMO.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Do you think his contract lines up with his productivity.

In the rams situation they cant lose him . He did account for 10tds last year and that's top wr money. He's never going to grow but like I said I'm happy we don't have to play against him because he can go for a td every time he touches the ball .

lockdnram21

Legend
Another food for thought tidbit.

After leading handily 10-0 in the first qtr, we never scored another freaking point.

Yards, yes. Especially passing yards. Running yardage? Not so much.

But the name of the game is to win games. Need points to win games, yet we were shutout for 3 quarters!

The D held Eli, Beckham, Shepard, et al to 10 damned points! (Giants got 7 points on the pick six}.

You hold Eli to 10 points and you should win 90% plus of the games.

Yep. Our O seems stuck in the mud. We're always finding ways to stop ourselves. Gawd!

I am SO ready to move on from Fisher.
I'm ready to move on from Fisher but is his boss. I'm not so sure he is

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Watching the OL at times is just inexplicable and I think it has to come down to scheme. Our slug refrigerators with legs are simply awful at the lateral movement required in zone blocking. Almost every play requires horizontal steps to reach a guy in the playside gap, and every time there's one or more OL that can't catch up to the guy he's supposed to block so there's constant penetration into gaps by unblocked people.

The answer should be combo blocks but the Rams don't seem to want to do ANY double teams, blocking back or help for guys who are simply too slow and can't reach their assignment. They also don't do any backside cutting, they don't flip their block when beat to at least stay locked up even if beat playside, or any of the zone blocking tricks... This is happening due to either a coaching decree, or they are just so dumb they can't pick up the communication and the nuances of the zone blocking scheme.

I get why use zone -- the NFL offseason has become such a joke that there's no time to install and rep traditional blocking schemes against so many complicated fronts, zone blocking is supposed to be an easy "one size fits all" solution. But now that it's become the majority of the league, you can't just get away with thinking you can trot it out there without doing it well with personnel suited for it and drilled in the technique.

Finally yesterday we saw the toss sweep make a come back. The TE actually blocked down to get an easy outside seal block at the point of attack (gasp!), the playside tackle pulled around and pancaked people. Beautiful and it worked nicely for 6 yard chunks.

What I would like to see in the bye week is the Rams coaching realizing our base split zone run based on the theory of moving the play laterally and creating cut up lanes isn't working for this bunch. Instead, mix in some traditional gap blocking to let these guys block back for a change. And don't be afraid to double team -- heck if one guy isn't blocked we pay Gurley to beat one v. ones -- he just can't beat the 1 v. 5 unblocked we're getting now.

Put our big bodies on their bodies and create holes the traditional hat on hat way by being bigger & stronger and driving the hell out of people, because our OL certainly isn't quicker than any DL. Being married to how the zone blocking is "supposed to be done" ain't working, it's time for these paid coaches to come up with solutions.

Last word is that scheme isn't everything. There's just some awful lack of effort and bewildering whiffs going on that make no sense that are squarely the fault of the individual OL. But a lot stems from scheme because when you know who to hit with 100% confidence and have belief you can execute that block, that can breed success to build on that carries down to the individual skill & effort level. I could be wrong and it could simply be these guys lack talent, but I would like to see some changes at the top first before completely give up on the players.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
We are becoming the laughing stock of the league because there are 5 other rookies that have started.
did you include Hogan @ Cleveland yesterday? I know he didn't start...but he played...and played well....

RamzFanz

Damnit
Kronke doesn't play when it comes to money and public appearance. Fisher doesn't care, but his owner does.

I guess you've never looked at his sports teams? Five sports, five non-producing teams?

Money? Yes, of course, but that comes from TV revenue, not ticket sales.

Public appearance? This is a guy who fields all average teams and hosed his own home state. There's no shame in his game.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Watching the OL at times is just inexplicable and I think it has to come down to scheme. Our slug refrigerators with legs are simply awful at the lateral movement required in zone blocking. Almost every play requires horizontal steps to reach a guy in the playside gap, and every time there's one or more OL that can't catch up to the guy he's supposed to block so there's constant penetration into gaps by unblocked people.

The answer should be combo blocks but the Rams don't seem to want to do ANY double teams, blocking back or help for guys who are simply too slow and can't reach their assignment. They also don't do any backside cutting, they don't flip their block when beat to at least stay locked up even if beat playside, or any of the zone blocking tricks... This is happening due to either a coaching decree, or they are just so dumb they can't pick up the communication and the nuances of the zone blocking scheme.

I get why use zone -- the NFL offseason has become such a joke that there's no time to install and rep traditional blocking schemes against so many complicated fronts, zone blocking is supposed to be an easy "one size fits all" solution. But now that it's become the majority of the league, you can't just get away with thinking you can trot it out there without doing it well with personnel suited for it and drilled in the technique.

Finally yesterday we saw the toss sweep make a come back. The TE actually blocked down to get an easy outside seal block at the point of attack (gasp!), the playside tackle pulled around and pancaked people. Beautiful and it worked nicely for 6 yard chunks.

What I would like to see in the bye week is the Rams coaching realizing our base split zone run based on the theory of moving the play laterally and creating cut up lanes isn't working for this bunch. Instead, mix in some traditional gap blocking to let these guys block back for a change. And don't be afraid to double team -- heck if one guy isn't blocked we pay Gurley to beat one v. ones -- he just can't beat the 1 v. 5 unblocked we're getting now.

Put our big bodies on their bodies and create holes the traditional hat on hat way by being bigger & stronger and driving the hell out of people, because our OL certainly isn't quicker than any DL. Being married to how the zone blocking is "supposed to be done" ain't working, it's time for these paid coaches to come up with solutions.

Last word is that scheme isn't everything. There's just some awful lack of effort and bewildering whiffs going on that make no sense that are squarely the fault of the individual OL. But a lot stems from scheme because when you know who to hit with 100% confidence and have belief you can execute that block, that can breed success to build on that carries down to the individual skill & effort level. I could be wrong and it could simply be these guys lack talent, but I would like to see some changes at the top first before completely give up on the players.

Out-fking-standing post. Take a bow.

(y)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

:bow:

It all starts up front. Just for discussion here the Rams 2015 OL vs the current version......pretty much the same bunch right? 3 of the 2015 rookies who played well are now 2nd season OL'ers....we lost a veteran Garrett Reynolds & gained back the refurbished Saffold & healed broken Brown. So are we saying that this basically same OL has declined in less than a yr ? A OL unit that is one of the youngest active OL's in the NFL?

Think on that did the injection of veteran OL'er Rodger Saffold back in the starting unit in 2016 cause this pile of :poop:? Is the current WWC unemployed OLG Garrett Reynolds really that much better than Saffold? 2015 Rookie Wichmann next to 2015 Rookie Havenstein worked well over the second half of 2015 did it not? Gurley was finding the holes on that right side well enough. Havenstein was the best rookie ORT in the NFL in 2015 by most all who awards such things what happen???

Barnes is now well settled in as a two yr starter after his first 2015 season has declined?? Don't think soo_O.......... Jamon Brown earned the left OG post early in 2015 pre season & played well for a rookie until Boudreau flipped Brown to the right side to right OG when his play began to fall off what happed:thinking: ? So both our starting 2015 rookie OG's have fell off this season?

Finally onto the Biggy..... 3rd yr starter OLT Greg Robinson issue that seems to play a major role & a magnifier in most all OL "Fail Modes" ...after the off season fine tuning & effort put into the technical side of his game he has returned to the :puke:version of himself . Many here continue to muster & dig up old excuses for the big strong man GRob mostly by herding up the bad play of the other 5 starters to help cloak blind most from the flashing red & blue lights on #73. Fine go right ahead but I still see him just fine as the #1 issue here. Its not working & moving him inside will NOT improve him.

Fatbot is mining & digging into the hard rock here on this FAILED 2016 OL I think he is very close to the discovery of the issue.:whistle:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Nice post Bonifay. Too many failures and back sliding to blame the whole OL. Rams OL failures fall squarely on the shoulders of OL coach Paul Boudreau. His failure to see what works and what doesn't is baffling. Gurley was finding holes and running amok last year. Why wouldn't he start the same OL that Gurley was running behind?

I sure would like to know what Garrett Reynolds injury status is. He seems to be the missing cog in the Rams OL success of last year. He was the senior vet and a coach and leader on the field. I think this current OL is missing that. They IR'd him and then released him. I believe the rules say he can be re-signed after 6 games. The Rams have played seven.

Its time to bench GRob, start Saffold at LT and Brown at LG. I wish they had a better option at C. Barnes is still getting pushed around.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Please no. I think they were still wearing leather helmets the last time he coached.....
And just how long has it been since John Gruden Coached!?! :rolleyes:And How long was Dick Vermeil out of Coaching before he came to the Rams!?!:D

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Nice post Bonifay. Too many failures and back sliding to blame the whole OL. Rams OL failures fall squarely on the shoulders of OL coach Paul Boudreau. His failure to see what works and what doesn't is baffling. Gurley was finding holes and running amok last year. Why wouldn't he start the same OL that Gurley was running behind?

I sure would like to know what Garrett Reynolds injury status is. He seems to be the missing cog in the Rams OL success of last year. He was the senior vet and a coach and leader on the field. I think this current OL is missing that. They IR'd him and then released him. I believe the rules say he can be re-signed after 6 games. The Rams have played seven.

Its time to bench GRob, start Saffold at LT and Brown at LG. I wish they had a better option at C. Barnes is still getting pushed around.

The OLT post is currently worked by GRob with Saffold remaining the main back up. Fact as it has been brought out here numerous times is Saffold has been Fisher's primary OLT back up since the 2013 season. So this is not a new thing but a very old thing. Does Boudreau really believe that Saffold will be less effective than GRob? I see the common thread post that Saffold always gets hurt playing left OT. Fact is Saffold has not been hurt playing OLT since 2012 season. All those other injuries took place @ OG!

If Boudreau made the move today he would have both his 2nd yr 2015 drafted OG's starting. Youth is served! Both are 6-4 & 6-5 that are massive sized 324 & 325 pounders. Its not like Saffold is performing at all pro level @ OLG currently. Fact is his pass protection usually grades out very high for OG's. So would the interior OL really be degraded by the lost of Saffold to OT?

If you want to counter me in saying it would deplete the reserve pool @ OG.....I would say HOW? They have Andrew Donnal & Demetrius Rhaney sitting on the bench. Both have started in the NFL last season @ OG. Then there's Garrett Reynolds in the WWC unit waiting to fully heal & get a call for duty too. There is no real problem is there?

You simply use the most experienced & highest paid OL'er of the entire 11 Ram OL & insert him into the main problem post to upgrade the entire OL. Saffold is a very sound pass blocking technician. Boudreau will then need a active game back up to the OLT post simple that's GRob's new role. Not a bad spot for GRob to be in where he can remain involved & active ready for duty if there is a need on the left side. Tell me where this a problem?

I agree with you here that Brown needs to return back to the left side of this OL now! Jamon brown has two weeks to get his injury fully healed. If Brown is limited then GRob, Donnal & Rhaney will get some heavy action in @ left OG then, once again not an issue. Use this bye week time wisely to get this OL repaired & functioning as an effective unit. Not prone to these drive killing holding calls by GRob.:rant:

I sure would not want to see Jared Goff starting when GRob is our OLT pass blocking RDE speeders. Talk about a Goff DISASTER:death:!

MountainRam

Rookie
Why do I have a feeling John Harbaugh will end up as Rams coach in about 16 months or so? You heard it here first.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And just how long has it been since John Gruden Coached!?! :rolleyes:And How long was Dick Vermeil out of Coaching before he came to the Rams!?!:D
I don't want Gruden and Vermeil went 9-23 in his 1st 2 seasons.
If we have to go through 2 years of dreck I don't think I could take it!