9 Facts About Computer Security That Experts Wish You Knew

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I'm an architect, and I'd really like to be able to run Revit (3D architecture/modeling program). Requires a different video card than gaming.Don't know if that's possible.
Music and videos, social networking, games etc are not important.

My desktop numbers: Intel(R) Core(TM) 2700K, 3.5Ghz, 16 GB Ram with an Nvidia Quadro 600 video card.

Last edited:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I just found the following when I searched on Revit & Graphics Cards...

“Does Revit need a fast video card? How fast?"
In the old days of Revit, a super fast video card wasn't particularly useful. These days, the answer is somewhere in the middle. Getting a $500 "Gaming" card or a $1,500 "Pro" card is almost certainly a waste of money - money much better spent on a faster CPU. Despite all the 3D graphics, Revit doesn't require the resources of the latest video games. All that 3D modeling is actually "computed" by the CPU. However, Revit does offer some specific graphic features where you'll really notice the difference with a fast video card - features like "Realistic View", "Shadows" and "Ambient Light". How fast is very relative - recommendations are given at the end of this post.

http://www.revitforum.org/hardware-infrastructure/72-revit-hardware-video-graphic-cards.html
Given the above, I'd recommend a machine with a larger screen, say 15", and the NVIDIA GPU. You'll just have a little more weight to carry around.

So, this means going with the W5xx series Thinkpad. As I said in my earlier posts, I'm not a fan of 530's or newer, so I'd go back to a W520 as long as it has all of the features that you need (above I posted a video of a guy comparing the new vs old lenovo chassis deigns). Also,are there any particular external connection ports that you require?

Also, found that the W520 is on the Autodesk Hardware Certified list, which you can see at:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servle...2&catID=18254205&product=57&os=8192&system=40

They list two configurations, depending on which NVIDIA card you choose (but they recommend Win 7 as the OS).

Review
http://www.notebookreview.com/notebookreview/lenovo-thinkpad-w520-review/

PS. I found a refurbished model at Amazon for $710 with the NVIDIA 1000 GPU (rather than the 2000 GPU)
http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-W520-427637U-Notebook/dp/B004U5Y9LC

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are we talking desktop, laptop,or all in one?

Why the assumption of 3.5 ghz?Audio editing isn't quite as lucrative as video editing i think

8 gigs of ram is the bare minimum you should buy for desktops today, imo. I actually saw over the weekend 16 gigs for $60 on newegg.

I prefer to go with a desktop.

I'm using the FL Studio DAW for recording music and the 3.5 Ghz is one of the minimum requirements for it to run properly. There are lots of plugins that require that especially when I'm doing orchestration.

Yeah, I would like 16 Gb but most of the pc's I'm looking at in my price range, $750.00 or less, have only 4 Gb and sometimes 8Gb.

Btw what do you all think of the All-in-one type pc?

Thanks for all the input gentlemen. It is appreciated.

iced

I prefer to go with a desktop.

I'm using the FL Studio DAW for recording music and the 3.5 Ghz is one of the minimum requirements for it to run properly. There are lots of plugins that require that especially when I'm doing orchestration.

Do they specify if it neeeds to be a duo or quad core?
Yeah, I would like 16 Gb but most of the pc's I'm looking at in my price range, $750.00 or less, have only 4 Gb and sometimes 8Gb.

Eh I'm sure I can find something for ya. I have been doing computer hunting lately for a friend and I've seen some decent desktops here and there.

you looking for a monitor as well?

Btw what do you all think of the All-in-one type pc?

Thanks for all the input gentlemen. It is appreciated.

hate them. Feel like they're more restricting than laptops.

I am old school in the fact that I absolutely love desktops - they allow the most flexibility for upgrades or trouble shooting should something go wrong.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

Eh I'm sure I can find something for ya. I have been doing computer hunting lately for a friend and I've seen some decent desktops here and there.

you looking for a monitor as well?

Forgot to mention that I need a pc with a sound card, CD drive, a monitor, and decent speakers. Thanks.

iced

I'm an architect, and I'd really like to be able to run Revit (3D architecture/modeling program). Requires a different video card than gaming.Don't know if that's possible.
Music and videos, social networking, games etc are not important.

My desktop numbers: Intel(R) Core(TM) 2700K, 3.5Ghz, 16 GB Ram with an Nvidia Quadro 600 video card.

With all the video cards that have come out in the past 2 or 3 years, I sincerely doubt any line from Geforce 400 or later will struggle to run anything.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I just found the following when I searched on Revit & Graphics Cards...

Given the above, I'd recommend a machine with a larger screen, say 15", and the NVIDIA GPU. You'll just have a little more weight to carry around.

So, this means going with the W5xx series Thinkpad. As I said in my earlier posts, I'm not a fan of 530's or newer, so I'd go back to a W520 as long as it has all of the features that you need (above I posted a video of a guy comparing the new vs old lenovo chassis deigns). Also,are there any particular external connection ports that you require?

Also, found that the W520 is on the Autodesk Hardware Certified list, which you can see at:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servle...2&catID=18254205&product=57&os=8192&system=40

They list two configurations, depending on which NVIDIA card you choose (but they recommend Win 7 as the OS).

Review
http://www.notebookreview.com/notebookreview/lenovo-thinkpad-w520-review/

PS. I found a refurbished model at Amazon for $710 with the NVIDIA 1000 GPU (rather than the 2000 GPU)
http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-W520-427637U-Notebook/dp/B004U5Y9LC

Wow - you are thorough. Thanks Stranger. I'll keep an eye out for the W520. Screen size isn't a huge deal - it's just for taking to meetings.
(My desktop setup has dual 24" monitors). Probably just an HDMI and ethernet port.

iced

Forgot to mention that I need a pc with a sound card, CD drive, a monitor, and decent speakers. Thanks.

You mean the sound Card can't be integrated (almost all mother boards these days have sound built in)? Need a separate card for it like a Sound Blaster?

Think this is a good deal on the monitor.

21.5 " , $129
http://www.amazon.com/VS228H-P-21-5-Inch-Full-HD-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B005BZNDOO/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1425578357&sr=1-1&keywords=computer monitor

If you go with Sound blaster for the sound card, from my experience I'd recommend a speaker set from sound blaster (I still have the same set from 2007).

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
With all the video cards that have come out in the past 2 or 3 years, I sincerely doubt any line from Geforce 400 or later will struggle to run anything.
Thanks Iced.

Ask and ye shall receive - what a great Site this is.:rockon::cheers:

iced

Thanks Iced.

Yep.

I don't browse Off Topic too often but I'm graduating here in the next month or 2 w/ an Information Security degree so naturally this thread attracted me lol

iced

Thanks Iced.

what was your price range again on the laptop?

edit:

WOW.. just found this... lol if I didnt have two laptops laying around...

$699
8 gigs of ddr3
i5-4200m 3ghz
Geforce GT840m (800's are one of the newer lines)

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GP70-LEOP...e=UTF8&qid=1425578981&sr=1-14&keywords=laptop

It's got Windows 8 but I'd probably just buy another copy of windows 7 for it..Fresh, clean install.

Last edited:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
no offense but there is a lot of irony in this statement

you can avoid malware and viruses, as well as letters from your ISP

How so? If you go somewhere you don't know much about, its much more likely you'll get a virus.

And sure, you can avoid it that stuff, but you don't even have to deal with it if you are smart in what you do online.

iced

How so? If you go somewhere you don't know much about, its much more likely you'll get a virus.

And sure, you can avoid it that stuff, but you don't even have to deal with it if you are smart in what you do online.

There are several ways.

1)You can block communication and access from certain sites as well as certain ports on your computer. A program, such as Peerblock, is a great tool for this as they regularly download lists Of Malicious Ips, bad ips, spy ips, etc. and block them.

2)Anti-virus and anti-malware software (Malware Antibytes is an absolute must have; avast or avg are nice to have...i have all 3 programs)

3)Read comments before you download whatever you're downloading.

I haven't had to deal with a virus in a long time because of the precautions you take.

It's easier to navigate on vacation (or somewhere you aren't familiar with)when you have a map right?

The biggest issues I see is when people download files and never bother to check the file extension (ESPECIALLY if it says .EXE)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
You mean the sound Card can't be integrated (almost all mother boards these days have sound built in)? Need a separate card for it like a Sound Blaster?

Think this is a good deal on the monitor.

21.5 " , $129
http://www.amazon.com/VS228H-P-21-5-Inch-Full-HD-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B005BZNDOO/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1425578357&sr=1-1&keywords=computer monitor

If you go with Sound blaster for the sound card, from my experience I'd recommend a speaker set from sound blaster (I still have the same set from 2007).

I need a top notch sound card with speakers to go along with it. Yeah, the Sound Blaster is what I have on my pc now. Thanks for the info.

iced

I need a top notch sound card with speakers to go along with it. Yeah, the Sound Blaster is what I have on my pc now. Thanks for the info.

lol I keep finding myself searching through the forum trying to piece together everything i'm looking for lol. can you relist the specifics again?

Atleast 8 gigs of Ram, space, atleast 3.5 ghz

I'm wondering how firm we are on the Speed because I think an i-5 or i-7 should be able to handle it - I currently run an I5-3470 (non k version) and its stock speed is 3.4 ghz. Easily overclocks to 3.8 ghz stable, and the I5 on its own under full load will run a single core up at 4 ghz.

I'm not 100% sure about one coming with a sound card on the side - that might have to be a separate purchase (could range anywhere from $60 to $110 depending on what you want)

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
7. Hackers are not criminals
Despite decades of evidence to the contrary, most people think of hackers as the evil adversaries who want nothing more than to steal their digital goods. But hackers can wear white hats as well as black ones — and the white hats break into systems in order to get there before the bad guys do. Once the vulnerabilities have been identified by hackers, they can be patched. Google Chrome's Tabriz says simply:

That is bullshit. If they don't have permission they are still criminals.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

lol I keep finding myself searching through the forum trying to piece together everything i'm looking for lol. can you relist the specifics again?

Atleast 8 gigs of Ram, space, atleast 3.5 ghz

I'm wondering how firm we are on the Speed because I think an i-5 or i-7 should be able to handle it - I currently run an I5-3470 (non k version) and its stock speed is 3.4 ghz. Easily overclocks to 3.8 ghz stable, and the I5 on its own under full load will run a single core up at 4 ghz.

I'm not 100% sure about one coming with a sound card on the side - that might have to be a separate purchase (could range anywhere from $60 to $110 depending on what you want)

Here are the bare minimum requirements to run my FL Studio DAW. I can tell you that a pc like this might work if it has no plugins. I, on the other hand, use tons of plugins some of which are a real drain on the memory.

https://support.image-line.com/knowledgebase/base.php?ans=82

Full system requirements of FL Studio:

• 2Ghz Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon 64 (or later) compatible CPU with full SSE2 support. The faster your CPU and more cores it has the more you will be able to do simultaneously.

• 32 or 64 Bit versions of Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista, XP (with service pack 3)

• 1 Gb or more RAM recommended

• 1 Gb free disk space

• Soundcard with DirectSound drivers. ASIO/ASIO2 compatible required for audio recording (FL Studio installs with generic ASIO4ALL drivers)
If your system meets the minimum system requirements your actual system resources (memory, CPU speed) that will impose limits on your FL Studio projects. See here for more information on choosing good PC for FL Studio.

The faster your CPU the more channels you will be able to run simultaneously and/or the more effects you will be able to use. The more memory you have the larger the samples you will be able to load.

iced

That is bullcrap. If they don't have permission they are still criminals.

There 3 kinds of hackers - white hat, grey hat, and black hat... obviously black is malicious, white is positive intentions.

Most white hat hackers are often Penetration testers (people you pay to test your security to keep black hatters out)... There's also defensive security that are considered white as well..

btw would you consider america white or black when they hacked into israel's nuclear power plant? lol :)

iced

Here are the bare minimum requirements to run my FL Studio DAW. I can tell you that a pc like this might work if it has no plugins. I, on the other hand, use tons of plugins some of which are a real drain on the memory.

https://support.image-line.com/knowledgebase/base.php?ans=82

Full system requirements of FL Studio:

• 2Ghz Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon 64 (or later) compatible CPU with full SSE2 support. The faster your CPU and more cores it has the more you will be able to do simultaneously.

• 32 or 64 Bit versions of Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista, XP (with service pack 3)

• 1 Gb or more RAM recommended

• 1 Gb free disk space

• Soundcard with DirectSound drivers. ASIO/ASIO2 compatible required for audio recording (FL Studio installs with generic ASIO4ALL drivers)
If your system meets the minimum system requirements your actual system resources (memory, CPU speed) that will impose limits on your FL Studio projects. See here for more information on choosing good PC for FL Studio.

The faster your CPU the more channels you will be able to run simultaneously and/or the more effects you will be able to use. The more memory you have the larger the samples you will be able to load.

yea you should be fine with an i-5 or i-7 - i'd say you'd be safe to start at 3 ghz.. i'll see if i can find a machine.. price range?