9 Facts About Computer Security That Experts Wish You Knew

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
yea you should be fine with an i-5 or i-7 - i'd say you'd be safe to start at 3 ghz.. i'll see if i can find a machine.. price range?

Around $750.00.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
yea you should be fine with an i-5 or i-7 - i'd say you'd be safe to start at 3 ghz.. i'll see if i can find a machine.. price range?
I'm curious what you find, as I haven't researched desktops in years :)

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
There are several ways.

1)You can block communication and access from certain sites as well as certain ports on your computer. A program, such as Peerblock, is a great tool for this as they regularly download lists Of Malicious Ips, bad ips, spy ips, etc. and block them.

2)Anti-virus and anti-malware software (Malware Antibytes is an absolute must have; avast or avg are nice to have...i have all 3 programs)

3)Read comments before you download whatever you're downloading.

I haven't had to deal with a virus in a long time because of the precautions you take.

It's easier to navigate on vacation (or somewhere you aren't familiar with)when you have a map right?

The biggest issues I see is when people download files and never bother to check the file extension (ESPECIALLY if it says .EXE)

You, me, and probably most everyone else on this site do those things.

Now if you go out and ask 100 random people what they do, you'd be amazed at how many that are computer illiterate.

Side note, I see many are researching desktops. I got lucky and have an HP all in one with Windows 7. Bought it in 2012 @ Best Buy. i7, HDMI, Beats Audio, 2.8 ghz, and I think 2 TB hard drive. It's amazing; no problems and hasn't slowed down (that I've noticed) since I've bought it.

iced

I'm curious what you find, as I haven't researched desktops in years :)

well what I'm thinkin' to day with the way things are today is to find a deal on a desktop and the get the speakers/monitor separately.

Around $750.00.

K having done some research, almost all computers (especially in your price range) have sound integrated into the mother board...so a sound card is going to have to be bought and installed separately (again, super easy..just slides into a slot and you screw it into the side. Could walk you through it or find several videos on how to do it.) Most sound cards are going to go into a PCI or PCI-Express Slot (PCI-E).

Also any preference on windows?

This is one I like but I'm trying to find out about the sound card.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005J0R4D2?psc=1

This one has free slots according to the comments

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AXC-605-...e=UTF8&qid=1425584617&sr=1-2&keywords=desktop

edit:

some more

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229285

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227596R

Last edited:

iced

Now if you go out and ask 100 random people what they do, you'd be amazed at how many that are computer illiterate.

lol I agree - dude you have no idea what I deal with...my parents and brother are somethin else... my brother is so incompetent he actually fell for one the social engineering attacks where they call you, ask for info, lock you out of your computer and demand you to pay like $100 to unlock it..... my other sister's email was hacked and sent links to my parents - who of course didn't think for a second and clicked on it- (I got the email later and immediately knew...if someone sends you just a link out of the blue... that's a "Come on man" moment)

My sister also has a Info Security job as well - too often we look at each other and just shake our heads

iced

Side note, I see many are researching desktops. I got lucky and have an HP all in one with Windows 7. Bought it in 2012 @ Best Buy. i7, HDMI, Beats Audio, 2.8 ghz, and I think 2 TB hard drive. It's amazing; no problems and hasn't slowed down (that I've noticed) since I've bought it.

Yea but difference is in the Ram and video - vegas needed something for his 3d modeling work, prime and vegas need a lot of ram for their video and audio editing/performance

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yea but difference is in the Ram and video - vegas needed something for his 3d modeling work, prime and vegas need a lot of ram for their video and audio editing/performance

Oh, my bad. Just offering (and slightly bragging) MO.

Actually I remember coming here and asking people their thoughts on all-in-ones when I was looking for a desktop.

iced

Oh, my bad. Just offering (and slightly bragging) MO.

Actually I remember coming here and asking people their thoughts on all-in-ones when I was looking for a desktop.

Oh no it's fine - I just wanted to explain why these guys were looking for something in particular.

All-in-ones are fairly new and I'm a little hesitant on them - but that's more out of personnel preference because I like having the freedom and ease of swapping out parts for either troubleshooting,defectiveness,or upgrading.

For example - if I needed more Ram for some reason, depending on what motherboard I have is going to dictate whether or not I can add any...some don't let you expand past their capacity (one corner manufacturer's used to cut down on price), some only a little.

More and more companies are going integrated these days...which limits expansion, or depending on if somethin' goes bad, you could end up having to replace the whole computer instead of just, let's say the CPU, video card, etc.

One thing I am glad I finally did though was just shell out the money for an awesome computer that I probably won't need to upgrade for atleast 4 or 5 years (and most likely it'll just be new video cards by then).

My main desktop that I built:

1000W PSU
I-5 3470 3.4 ghz, turbos to 4.0 ghz.... easily overclocks stable to 3.8...
32 gigs of Ddr3
2 HD's - 1 tb, 1.5tb
(2) Geforce 770's Superclocked 2 Gigs in SLI

Monitor - 24" LED Asus (with Lightboost technology, 3d capable)

Monitors are big for gamers too (gotta love 3d games! lol)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
well what I'm thinkin' to day with the way things are today is to find a deal on a desktop and the get the speakers/monitor separately.

K having done some research, almost all computers (especially in your price range) have sound integrated into the mother board...so a sound card is going to have to be bought and installed separately (again, super easy..just slides into a slot and you screw it into the side. Could walk you through it or find several videos on how to do it.) Most sound cards are going to go into a PCI or PCI-Express Slot (PCI-E).

Also any preference on windows?

This is one I like but I'm trying to find out about the sound card.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005J0R4D2?psc=1

This one has free slots according to the comments

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AXC-605-...e=UTF8&qid=1425584617&sr=1-2&keywords=desktop

edit:

some more

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229285

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227596R

Thanks so much for the research. I'll check out all of these over the next few days and let you know what I find.

iced

Thanks so much for the research. I'll check out all of these over the next few days and let you know what I find.

wouldn't stall too long, these were all on deals lol

no idea how long for or anything like that

happy to help

what'd ya think @Stranger

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Just looked at my laptop - Intel Pentium, 1.60 Ghz with 500 MG Ram.

Might be time to get a new one - (ya' think?) :palm:

iced

my bad iranian (i get those countries mixed up)

can't recall the use of stuxnet atm

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Just looked at my laptop - Intel Pentium, 1.60 Ghz with 500 MG Ram.

Might be time to get a new one - (ya' think?) :palm:

I'm typing this on my Dell. I have only one tab open, ROD. My system information says "497 Mb - 360 Mb used." No wonder it freezes when I have ROD open and try to play a video on You Tube at the same time. My other pc is an old Acer with an AMD chip. It's run out of RAM storage capability and is almost as slow. It may be time for both of us to shop around.

iced

I'm typing this on my Dell. I have only one tab open, ROD. My system information says "497 Mb - 360 Mb used." No wonder it freezes when I have ROD open and try to play a video on You Tube at the same time. My other pc is an old Acer with an AMD chip. It's run out of RAM storage capability and is almost as slow. It may be time for both of us to shop around.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

you guys don't wanna know my "backups" specs

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
You would be a fool to buy a lenovo these days.
I'm suggesting pre-x30 -series. Like the x10 or x20-series. The W520 is a rock solid machine. But yes, I would not touch a 430 or 440, especially after the news that Lenovo has been installing Superfish to corrupt SSL calls.