70's Fads You Participated in...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
The first Borg/McEnroe Wimbledon final in 1980, won by Borg in 5 sets, was the greatest tennis match, and one of the greatest sporting events, I ever watched.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Definitely did 8-tracks and bell bottoms.

Not necessarily a 70's fad, but popular then - I built a shitload of plastic models (mostly airplanes) and built and flew a lot of model rockets.

And 70's rock was THE BEST EVER.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
To me, if you're rotating Centers in and out, it means you don't have one that's clearly above the other. Which is worrisome considering they've tried to gamble on not adding OL and rolling with what they have, only to bite them in the ass. PARTICULARLY at Center.

I was playing a lot of tennis through the 70's and 80's. I hated Jimmy Connors and it came back to haunt me in the 90's.

Me too. I used to play almost daily and watched it on tv almost every weekend. Bjorn Borg was a machine and it was mind blowing when McEnroe beat him.

I did too in the 80's. That was when tennis was at it's peak in many different ways.
I carried my racket with me everywhere when I was in HS. Borg was my favorite so I grew my hair out like his and always wore that headband when playing. I played at lunch and after school every day.

I recently found my racket at a thrift store. Of course I had to buy it.
IMG_20210810_095351329.jpg

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I carried my racket with me everywhere when I was in HS. Borg was my favorite so I grew my hair out like his and always wore that headband when playing. I played at lunch and after school every day.

I recently found my racket at a thrift store. Of course I had to buy it.View attachment 47120
I HAD THAT RACKET TOO! lol....

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Little factoid about Borg too. You never saw him get pissy with the line judges like Nasty or McEnroe. The reason? Bejorn tried that at an early age so his dad took his racket away. Problem solved.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

I recently found my racket at a thrift store. Of course I had to buy it.View attachment 47120

Ha... that's pretty cool. That racquet looks similar to the famous piece of shit Wilson T2000. LOL. I had one of those way back in the day.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Little factoid about Borg too. You never saw him get pissy with the line judges like Nasty or McEnroe. The reason? Bejorn tried that at an early age so his dad took his racket away. Problem solved.
He was indomitable. It seemed that he took apart opponents without emotion. I wondered how discouraging it would be to play him, knowing you were going to lose....

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

I preferred Mc's approach. Seriously. LOL

I went to see Borg play in what was billed as his last professional match. It was in Kansas City against Roscoe Tanner. I think I still have the newspaper article about it. Borg was one hell of a player.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I HAD THAT RACKET TOO! lol....
I also wore these constantly. Although I was a toe dragger so the toes didn't stay white long. I literally wore holes in the toes of every pair I owned when I was playing. I still have a couple pair of these but in black. Most comfortable shoes in the world.
1628615459986.png

Ha... that's pretty cool. That racquet looks similar to the famous piece of shit Wilson T2000. LOL. I had one of those way back in the day.
I had one of those but couldn't stand it. I also had a Dunlop McEnroe Maxply wood racket but the Head Standard was by far my favorite. When I found the racket I saw it was in perfect condition - I don't think it's ever been played. Right behind it was another one. So I bought them both so I could play the used one. One was $4, the other $2. :ROFLMAO:

It cracks me up though to look at how different the head sizes are on modern rackets. I remember those Prince rackets being all the rage back then too. But all I could think of was
Animated GIF

But this shows how much bigger the racket heads are now. I think you had to be a bit better to hit the ball with the old ones. Well at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Rackets.jpg

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I wore Diadora tennis shoes because of Borg. The Fila tennis outfits were bit pricey, so I tended to go with Izod.

I even modeled my game after him. I was a baseliner with a topspin forehand and a two-handed backhand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I also wore these constantly. Although I was a toe dragger so the toes didn't stay white long. I literally wore holes in the toes of every pair I owned when I was playing. I still have a couple pair of these but in black. Most comfortable shoes in the world.
View attachment 47121

I had one of those but couldn't stand it. I also had a Dunlop McEnroe Maxply wood racket but the Head Standard was by far my favorite. When I found the racket I saw it was in perfect condition - I don't think it's ever been played. Right behind it was another one. So I bought them both so I could play the used one. One was $4, the other $2. :ROFLMAO:

It cracks me up though to look at how different the head sizes are on modern rackets. I remember those Prince rackets being all the rage back then too. But all I could think of was
Animated GIF

But this shows how much bigger the racket heads are now. I think you had to be a bit better to hit the ball with the old ones. Well at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View attachment 47122

That's funny. I never went the Prince route either. I tried hitting with some of my friends', but I didn't like them.

I ended up using Head racquets. They had larger racquet heads... but not as big as the Prince racquets. I remember my first real quality racquet was made out of graphite (a Head racquet). I still have it. The advancements in racquet tech were so amazing.

Fucking Jimmy Connors and that pos T2000. My God.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I wore Diadora tennis shoes because of Borg. The Fila tennis outfits were bit pricey, so I tended to go with Izod.

I even modeled my game after him. I was a baseliner with a topspin forehand and a two-handed backhand.
To this day I cant do a two handed backhand except for bunting at the net. Lord knows I've tried.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I spent many hours in my youth making those..

View attachment 47116

Eventually, I graduated to bigger and badder

View attachment 47117

In the end I think we ended up blowing them up with m80s or torching them with gasoline.
Me too. I graduated to glue together and painting. I really got into WWII era planes. I’d follow the directions and painted them and used every decal. I had a huge Ebola Gay bomber. Once I graduated I was tired of it taking up so much space and I launched into the fire pit.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Me too. I graduated to glue together and painting. I really got into WWII era planes. I’d follow the directions and painted them and used every decal. I had a huge Ebola Gay bomber. Once I graduated I was tired of it taking up so much space and I launched into the fire pit.
Yep. Huffing glue and Testor's paint. We shot my B52 up with BB guns and then lit it on fire. My P51 Mustang is on my dad's bookshelf in his office. I did the Bah Bah Blacksheep model.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
My dad had one of those briefcase mobile phones in the 70s. SOOOOO sophisticated. It would honk the car horn when he got a call. He still has it in his office.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh yeah...
Who didnt feel like the king of the road riding one of these?
1970-schwinn-stingray-banana-seat-bike-bicycle-krate.jpg

And if you were REAL cool, you'd....
1628631771337.jpeg

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course we had to have one of these in our back pocket at all times, you know because we gots to be combing our hair and stuff.
(While wearing a vent-back baseball hat)
52011e53bfc42ed0d58a768a0b5c28e6.jpg