7 Teams That Could Trade For Nick Foles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
June 26th, 2016 at 9:00pm CST by Dallas Robinson

http://www.profootballrumors.com/2016/06/7-teams-that-could-trade-for-nick-foles

A little over 15 months ago, the Rams acquired Nick Foles from the Eagles and quickly locked him into a two-year extension worth $24.5MM, handing him more than $12MM in guaranteed money. After starting 11 games, and completing less than 57% of his passes while posting a 7:10 touchdown-to-interception ratio, Foles was benched for Case Keenum, and remained on the sidelines for the rest of season.

Given that Los Angeles traded up to acquire the No. 1 overall pick and select Jared Goff, Foles is clearly not in the club’s plans, as Keenum and 2015 draft choice Sean Mannion are projected to make the squad. Foles is unhappy with his position on the club and didn’t attend OTAs, and with the Rams exploring a trade, Foles isn’t expected to be with the team at the start of training camp — at the very least, he’ll be dealt away (or possibly released) before Week 1.

Foles, 27, drew trade interest around draft time, but ultimately wasn’t moved. Albert Breer of The MMQB recently reported that Los Angeles is holding onto Foles for the time being in the hopes that he could accrue more value as training camp approaches. An injury could spur other teams to inquire about Foles, but his contract is also a plus. Because the Rams already paid out Foles’ guaranteed $6MM roster bonus, an acquiring club would only be on the hook for Foles’ $1.75MM base salary — a palatable figure for a backup quarterback.

With that preamble out of the way, let’s take a look at a few teams that could express interest in Foles…

Dallas Cowboys — The 2015 Cowboys season showed just how valuable a backup quarterback can be, as Dallas ran through Matt Cassel, Brandon Weeden, and Kellen Mooreas Tony Romo dealt with injury. That threesome posted a combined 1-11 record, leaving Cowboys fans wondering what could have been had the club had a competent No. 2 signal-caller. Moore is set to return as the backup, with fourth-round rookie Dak Prescott scheduled to handle clipboard duties, as Roster Resource shows. Foles would be an improvement over both of those options, and Dallas was one of several teams that Ian Rapoport of NFL.com linked to Foles at the beginning of the league year.

Detroit Lions — The Lions re-signed backup Dan Orlovsky this offseason, but they only handed the veteran $160K guaranteed on a one-year, minimum salary benefit contract, so they could easily move on if they were to acquire Foles. Elsewhere on the roster, Detroit boasts 2016 sixth-round pick Jake Rudock, who has yet to inspire confidence. “There’s not a phase that he has under control at this point in time,” head coach Jim Caldwell said of Rudock earlier this month. Matthew Stafford has been remarkably since a lost 2010 season, as he hasn’t missed a single start over the past five years, so giving up anything of value for Foles might not be worth it.

Indianapolis Colts — Like the Lions, the Colts have a somewhat reputable backup option inScott Tolzien, whom they signed to a two-year deal that contains $500K guaranteed. Because of that amount of guaranteed cash, Indianapolis is highly unlikely to move on from Tolzien at any point this season, so they’re probably among the least likely teams on this list to go after Foles. But I included them here because Tolzien is far from a lock as a No. 2 quarterback. He’s probably gained some recognition over the years for serving as Aaron Rodgers‘ backup, but Tolzien has only attempted 91 passes during his career — most of those attempts came back in 2013, when he tossed five interceptions against just one touchdown.

Kansas City ChiefsAndy Reid is a known developer of quarterback talent, and the Chiefs have brought in several backup options over the past couple years, investing draft capital inKevin Hogan and Aaron Murray, while signing (and then extending) undrafted free agentTyler Bray. The only problem? None of those signal-callers have ever taken a snap in an NFL game, which means Kansas City could be in a precarious position if Alex Smith goes down. Foles, then, would represent a bit more certainty at the No. 2 position.

New York Jets — Though negotiations between the Jets and Ryan Fitzpatrick continue to drag on, it still seems like the two sides will eventually come to an agreement. If that happens, New York clearly won’t be in the market for another quarterback. But as things currently stand, Foles would represent an upgrade over Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty, and is perhaps on par with fellow starting option Geno Smith. General manager Mike Maccagnansaid during the draft that he wasn’t aiming to acquire another quarterback, but that was before talks with Fitzpatrick stalled.

San Francisco 49ers — Whether or not the Rams would be open to trading within their division is an open question, but Foles had the most success of his career under current 49ers head coach Chip Kelly, tossing 27 touchdowns in 2013 when the duo was with the Eagles. Still, San Francisco looks set to go forward with a competition between Colin Kaepernick and Blaine Gabbert, so Foles might not be the best fit, especially given that Kaepernick’s base salary is fully guaranteed.

Seattle Seahawks — Again, it’s not clear if Los Angeles would want to trade Foles to another team in the NFC West, but the Seahawks have very little between Russell Wilson. Tarvaris Jackson doesn’t look to be an option after being arrested on Friday, so it looks as though the club will go with undrafted free agent Trevone Boykin as their backup signal-caller. Boykin, like Wilson, offers mobility in and outside the pocket, so Seattle might prefer him to Foles, who sometimes resembles a statue under center.

Some of these clubs make more sense than others — the Cowboys, for example, stand out as a club that could certainly use an upgrade at backup quarterback. Additionally, it’s reasonable to expect that the Rams find they can’t acquire anything of value in exchange for Foles, and are instead forced to release him. If that’s the case, this list simply becomes a catalog of clubs who could express interest in signing the veteran quarterback.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I really thought Kansas City was the right landing spot for Foles, however, with Murray & Hogan unless the Chiefs have an injury, I don't see it coming. Let's hope that Jerry Jones does the Rams another favor and trades for Foles. Garrett might be great for Nick and I do believe is a better option than Moore.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
May as well post an article titled "7 Teams who's QB is going to get injured in Pre-season" because that's clearly the only way he's getting traded IMO

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
May as well post an article titled "7 Teams who's QB is going to get injured in Pre-season" because that's clearly the only way he's getting traded IMO

or 7 brides for 7 brothers as I showcase my softer side.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
JMHO! BUT! Just because the could 'express interest' doesn't mean they will, when push-comes-to-shove!!:cool:

They will trade him injuries happen in camp as we as Ram fans know far too well, I still believe Jerry Jones will make a deal or if push does come to shove, they will release Foles.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Unless Chip Kelly is really stupid....and I don't think he's stupid, just crazy.....We're gonna have to eat this mess....Foles will be cut around Week 3 of TC.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Unless Chip Kelly is really stupid....and I don't think he's stupid, just crazy.....We're gonna have to eat this mess....Foles will be cut around Week 3 of TC.
That will be the scenario unless another team steps up like Dallas, Chip didn't like Foles when he had him.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I was thinking CFL but the USFL is more appropriate for Nick Folds
Come on Memphis Showboats give us a 7th round pick in the 1985 draft!!!!

image.jpg

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
There is another scenario that hopefully never plays out.

Some may diasagree with me on this point but Foles still has value to the Rams if (heaven forbid) Keenum or Goff gets hurt in the preseason, especially Keenum

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He's gonna get traded. Pat Kirwan went down the list of teams naming backups for direct comparison, and there were plenty of teams that would see him as an upgrade. Last year with the Rams was a "rookie" season for him in a real pro offense too, keep in mind, and that is part of the reason he struggled. The dude simply didn't know the offense the way he needs to but as a backup yes he's got experience.

With the Chiefs it depends on Hogan. I think they'd prefer Foles over Murray but they have a kid who was in a pro style offense in Hogan so I think he has a good chance of surprising by winning the backup job outright. Really the whiners are the best choice because he knows the offense and could backup there, but then again that offense is so easy I doubt the other two will have any issues picking it up. I expect Kaep to excel in it.

Either way though we're not talking big draft pick compensation. They're not in a hurry now that they've paid his roster bonus or whatever, so his cap hit is what it is and they can hold off a bit and see if another team gets desperate i.e. is willing to pay more than what they're getting now. But worst case I think he's moved for a late round pick.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'm going to be very surprised if we are actually able to receive anything in a trade for Folds... and I mean ANYTHING.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I make it 60% likely that Foles is traded before final cut downs.

By then, teams will have had a good look at their backup options and rookie QB's. Some teams won't like what they've seen.

Plus there's the injury factor. It's inevitable that a few QB injuries will have occurred.

And Foles is gonna be an inexpensive option, at that.

But we'll only get a 7th for him. So it's not a biggie, either way.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
pretty shitty list imo...

cowboys- most likely option

lions- doubt they consider foles a big enough upgrade to trade much, but maybe

colts- doubt they consider foles a big enough upgrade to trade much, but maybe

chiefs- unless they give up on murray or hogan early, wont happen

jets- way too many qbs already, wont happen

niners- have 3 qbs already, wont happen

seahawks- possible if the rams are willing, but the seahawks have seemed to prefer running qbs so idk about that

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW

That ship sailed and then sank when Foles showed just how bad he is under real game pressure.
He will never play another down for the Rams and possibly not for anyone else either.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I don't think anybody would deal a half a bag of stale chips for Foles...Especially when they can grab him after he's released...

Dan Poplawski

Rookie
Name
Dan Poplawski
Before the draft I strongly felt Foles would go to Dallas in a trade, was very surprised it didn't happen.