7-0 when we score 19 points or more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
The good news is our defense is very good and doesn't need unreasonable offensive production to win. The bad news is we need a QB, and good ones don't become available too often.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

at least keenam is serviceable. something to build on. good enough until the rams actually find and develop their qb of the future.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This just makes me sad. The potential of this team is astounding.
It's really only one bad phase on offense that has sunk the team. Defense and special teams have been there. The run game has been there. The passing game was so bad with Foles our playoff hopes died. Keenum hasn't been lighting it up, but he has done enough for us to win. Just imagine how good we would be with a league average starter.

Athos

Legend
But are those offensive points or is that factoring in ST and defensive scores?

FRO

Legend
But are those offensive points or is that factoring in ST and defensive scores?
That's total points. Against the Lions and Seahawks the defense scored TDs. We probably lose both games if they don't.

FRO

Legend
I think we're in the playoffs with Shotty.
I'm not sure. I don't think he could have made Foles play any better. I don't think any OC could. Foles was as bad as it gets.

Big Willie

Starter
I think we need more production from the defense. If they were worth their salt, they would be prouducing at least 4 turnovers and 2 defensive touchdowns a game. #bluefont

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I think we need more production from the defense. If they were worth their salt, they would be prouducing at least 4 turnovers and 2 defensive touchdowns a game. #bluefont
Yup, defense definitely needs to step it up.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
The good news is our defense is very good and doesn't need unreasonable offensive production to win. The bad news is we need a QB, and good ones don't become available too often.

I would have to debate you on the defense being "very good", or at least clarify your definition of very good. There are 32 teams in the league, therefore, if you are ranked 16th in anything, you would be considered average. The Rams defense so far this season is ranked 21st in Yards per Game, 20th in Yards rushing per Game, and 13th in total Scoring defense. If we are generous and only count the Scoring defense at 13, it is still just better than average, or good. Very good , IMO, would be in the top 25% , or in the top 8. If you say they are consistently good, then I have to ask, where were they in the second game versus the Redskins on the road? Where were they when we got blown out at home against the Bears? How come they couldn't be the deciding factor in helping the team win in close games versus the Vikings and the Ravens ?

Forgive me if I come off as bagging on my team, it's just that I'm not going to call them what they're not, consistently good.

FRO

Legend
I would have to debate you on the defense being "very good", or at least clarify your definition of very good. There are 32 teams in the league, therefore, if you are ranked 16th in anything, you would be considered average. The Rams defense so far this season is ranked 21st in Yards per Game, 20th in Yards rushing per Game, and 13th in total Scoring defense. If we are generous and only count the Scoring defense at 13, it is still just better than average, or good. Very good , IMO, would be in the top 25% , or in the top 8. If you say they are consistently good, then I have to ask, where were they in the second game versus the Redskins on the road? Where were they when we got blown out at home against the Bears? How come they couldn't be the deciding factor in helping the team win in close games versus the Vikings and the Ravens ?

Forgive me if I come off as bagging on my team, it's just that I'm not going to call them what they're not, consistently good.
Would it be fair to say if we had an offense that didn't go three and out often that the defensive numbers would be much better.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes

I have to whole heartedly disagree on your take. If we had ANY sort of offense, our rankings would be much, much higher on defense. During our 5 game losing streak, we scored 18, 13, 13, 10, 3. What in the world is a defense supposed to do with that? We were in the top 10 of nearly every category before the Vikings game. Sometimes the best defense is a good offense.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Would it be fair to say if we had an offense that didn't go three and out often that the defensive numbers would be much better.

You make a good point. Would they be top 10? I don't know. My opinion is that a great Defense will win you a couple of games when the offense is sputtering. But, like you say, they can't do it every game without help.

ViennaMax

Rookie
You make a good point. Would they be top 10? I don't know. My opinion is that a great Defense will win you a couple of games when the offense is sputtering. But, like you say, they can't do it every game without help.

when the offense is sputtering - yes
if there is basically no offense - no

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I have to whole heartedly disagree on your take. If we had ANY sort of offense, our rankings would be much, much higher on defense. During our 5 game losing streak, we scored 18, 13, 13, 10, 3. What in the world is a defense supposed to do with that? We were in the top 10 of nearly every category before the Vikings game. Sometimes the best defense is a good offense.
I understand your point. I agreed basically agreed with @FRO on his similar point that the defense can't carry the team game after game after game. But, I specifically brought up two games that were close, that were winnable in the 4th Qtr ; @ Minnesota and @ Baltimore.
Your point above may lead someone to think we were behind all game in each contest. The fact is we were ahead 15-10 at half of the Vikings game, and we were up 13-3 heading to the 4th Qtr against the Ravens.
My point was that a "great defense", like @FRO had originally posted, would've stopped the opposing offenses from winning those games.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams are a tale of two coordinators...

One, on defense, has kept this unit playing at a high level in spite of everything thrown at it with creativity, using players to the strengths, and coaching up the depth guys who have stepped in and played admirably to keep this defense respectable.

Then you have the other. It's sad how poor our OCs have been under Fisher and that statistic demonstrates it. Here's hoping Boras is the change, the winning lottery ticket.

fearsomefour

Legend
Its a good point.
The win vs Seattle last week was as much about the O helping the D by changing field position and stringing to gather a few first downs several times in that game. Not every drive has to be a scoring drive to help. Moving the ball from deep in their own territory to near midfield before punting is a massive difference between a three and out. Giving the D a good 10 minute rest, including change of possession time, and having the other team start on their own 25 instead of midfield prevents points.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
24 ppg should be the bar set. With the defense and special teams we're trotting out there we'll
win alot of games scoring at that clip.