$6.9 Million Cap Space

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'd have to disagree with you about that contention. The multi-talented (also a DE) Westbrooks is his (Brockers) backup so I'm assuming you think he sucks at run D and since he isn't eligible for the PS I guess you want to cut him or try and slip Trinca-Passat onto the PS right? So basically, you want to take a "chance" on a player that the Browns don't like so that we can cut somebody we do like? Maybe that could work out but I'll pass.

I doubt there will be any player another team cuts that can make us better. This isn't the 2011 Rams.
I said Sims, not Westbrooks or Trinca Passat. Also, Westbrooks is a pass-rushing lineman. He was being used at DT when Brockers couldn't play and it didn't go too well against the run. But again, I'm not saying to try and slip him onto the PS because he wouldn't make it. Sims is declining and doesn't really offer too much more than what we already have. I honestly think Westbrooks could do the same job if given the same snaps. Beyond that, what DT do we have that's a good NT besides Brockers? If Brockers gets hurt during the season it's going to hurt the run D.

If Taylor is cheap and can still stop the run, he'd be a solid backup NT in case that happens. That's all I'm saying.

Alan

Legend
flv showing he's still just as talented as when he played on his little league team:
I don't think it'll make any difference but Westbrooks is eligible for the practice squad. I wasn't sure so I did look it up. The rule says if they were on the 46-man active gameday roster for less than nine regular season games they're still eligible. I checked and Westbrooks was only on the gameday roster for 6 games last season.
I think Fisher will add 1 or 2 cuts that will help us. He loves his FA ST players, especially if they fill the Über-Important 6th and 7th LB spots, :)mad:).
Great catch at the warning track! (y) :LOL:

I really don't think there's any chance he'd actually make it to the PS.

Any idea who might be vulnerable?

Alan

Legend
V3 repeating himself:
I said Sims, not Westbrooks or Trinca Passat. Also, Westbrooks is a pass-rushing lineman. He was being used at DT when Brockers couldn't play and it didn't go too well against the run. But again, I'm not saying to try and slip him onto the PS because he wouldn't make it. Sims is declining and doesn't really offer too much more than what we already have. I honestly think Westbrooks could do the same job if given the same snaps. Beyond that, what DT do we have that's a good NT besides Brockers? If Brockers gets hurt during the season it's going to hurt the run D.

If Taylor is cheap and can still stop the run, he'd be a solid backup NT in case that happens. That's all I'm saying.
A couple of things:

You could just as easily have said Foles because neither one of them is a DT. That's why I actually chose Westbrooks who's right behind him on the depth chart at ESPN. Also, I'm pretty (99.9999%) sure you're wrong about that. There was a recent article at the PD (probably here as well) that talked about that very thing. Westbrook's not even listed as a DE anymore. Though of course, as I mentioned when I called him multi-talented, he can fill in at DE if necessary. Sims however, is exactly what you think Westbrooks is, primarily a DE who moves inside in some pass rush packages.

No, I don't think we have another good D-lineman whose primary skill set is as a NT. But then I don't think you need one when you run a 4-3 base D the majority of the time. Yes, I know we want to mix it up and sometimes run a 3-4 but I'm confident we'll be able to make do with what we have as those we have now actually have talent, something that can't be said for Taylor) even if playing as a NT isn't one of their primary strengths. But of course that's just my opinion and I'm not an expert in this area.

If you think we'd cut any proven D-lineman like Sims for another team's castoff at a different position, I'd like you to send me some of the stuff you're smoking. ;)

PS, I'd like you to send me some of that stuff you're smoking even if you don't think that. :LOL:

BTW, the comment about Trinca-Passat moving to the PS was in lieu of making him our 9th D-linemen. You can't bring in another DT without cutting someone and it would most likely be a DT like Taylor.

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Surprised. The Browns cut a first round pick in his 4th year, in Phil Taylor. That should put them at the top or close to it shouldn't it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ssing-on-phil-taylor-because-of-knee-problem/

Steelers passing on Phil Taylor because of knee problem
Posted by Darin Gantt on September 3, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptiznzbkztkxmtiwm2ewmzgwyjewmgfmnmrkowjkmdjl-e1441275064391.jpeg
Getty Images

The Steelers might still be interested in finding a veteran defensive tackle, but it won’t be former Browns first-rounder Phil Taylor.

According to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Steelers are taking a pass on the recent visitor because they think he has a bad knee which will require surgery.

Although the Browns released Taylor without any type of injury designation, he will receive his base salary of $5.477 million, most likely without offset.

Taylor visited the Steelers Wednesday, but they determined he wouldn’t be able to help them soon. They need some immediate depth up front, so expect them to continue to comb through the discard pile the next few days to look for a big body.

Alan

Legend
Prime Time with part of the story:
Steelers passing on Phil Taylor because of knee problem
The Steelers might still be interested in finding a veteran defensive tackle, but it won’t be former Browns first-rounder Phil Taylor.

According to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Steelers are taking a pass on the recent visitor because they think he has a bad knee which will require surgery.

Although the Browns released Taylor without any type of injury designation, he will receive his base salary of $5.477 million, most likely without offset.

Taylor visited the Steelers Wednesday, but they determined he wouldn’t be able to help them soon. They need some immediate depth up front, so expect them to continue to comb through the discard pile the next few days to look for a big body.
This does not appear to be the whole story. Were it just the injury they could have just put him on IR and it would have cost them the same amount of money. Apparently, they don't want him even after he heals up. All the more reason why other potential buyers should beware.

Alan

Legend
@flv with this scenario:
Perhaps the Browns get cap relief if someone else signs him. The Rams had an offset clause in Finnegan's contract which helped us out to the tune of $3M.

I'm pretty sure that isn't possible. The article seems to say that they are on the hook for his whole salary which can only mean it's guaranteed. I don't think guaranteed money can be transferred without a trade. I'm not sure it can be transferred even with a trade. Only the salary can be transferred and that only via trade.

Teams can only put a player on IR with the player's consent. The Rams wanted to put Danario Alexander on IR since he wasn't able to perform in the 2012 preseason. Alexander thought he'd be ready for the 2nd half of the season so he requested an injury settlement. He was paid by the Rams for the early weeks before he was free to join the Chargers, (where he had a successful end to the season). There is no advantage to Taylor in being put on IR if he can play at all this year without surgery. (He could earn something with a new team in addition to his full settlement with the Browns). However, being a FA right now required him being released without an injury settlement so the Browns are not liable if he has further medical expenses.

I don't believe that a team needs a player's consent to be put on IR. They do need the league's consent though and there are options for the players. Requesting an injury settlement and retiring are two of the their options. I did several searches on this and nowhere could I find anything that said a player's consent was needed. If you can find where it says that let me know because I'd like to read it.

What we can deduce is the Browns would rather pay another DT, (in addition to Taylor's $5M+), for they can have that new player available for 16 games rather than stick with Taylor as the 4th/emergency DT and save $500K+. The Steelers don't seem to think Taylor can play either.

I don't agree with that that is the only reasonable deduction. CAP ramifications are one thing but you don't cut a player that you think can be an asset to your team unless you can't afford him. While it may be what's happening here, I have my doubts. I think one of two things are happening. Either they have given up on him because they don't think he's capable of recovering sufficiently from his injury (Denario Alexander) or they don't think he's talented enough even if he recovers completely. Or both. But then again you could be right that it's totally CAP related.

Alan

Legend
flv with a bunch of good stuff:
Bottom line. What happens if a team puts a player on IR and the player publicly says he's healthy enough to play?
I think this is where the requirement that the NFL approves placing a player on IR comes into play. Though I doubt what the player says would mean much. Now, if the player got a second opinion and the second opinion guy said he was good to go then they'd probably have to either work something out with the team involved (probably force them to either cut the player or put him back on the active roster) or refuse the team's request. Though again, I'm not basing this on any direct knowledge but merely inferring it from what I do know.