$6.9 Million Cap Space

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Surprised. The Browns cut a first round pick in his 4th year, in Phil Taylor. That should put them at the top or close to it shouldn't it.

V3

Hall of Fame
Surprised. The Browns cut a first round pick in his 4th year, in Phil Taylor. That should put them at the top or close to it shouldn't it.
I haven't really followed his performance but I'm pretty sure he's the run stuffing DT that the Rams could use for depth. If he's solid at run D, I'd consider picking him up and drop one of the other D-lineman we have that seem redundant. We are rather thin on the D line when it concerns run stuffing type players, IMO. Maybe he's being dropped because he just sucks? IDK.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
Just thinking about all the young talent we have to resign or lose in the next couple of years is frustrating.There's going to be some tough decisions to make over those next two years.

Psycho_X

Legend
Wait, that means we cut $6.9 million in cap space since Monday on top of what we already had? or after the cuts we have $6.9 million in cap space? Cause if its the latter who did we cut that cost cap space? Cap space is only counted by the highest 53 player contracts and I don't remember us cutting anyone that would fall under that designation.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I haven't really followed his performance but I'm pretty sure he's the run stuffing DT that the Rams could use for depth. If he's solid at run D, I'd consider picking him up and drop one of the other D-lineman we have that seem redundant. We are rather thin on the D line when it concerns run stuffing type players, IMO. Maybe he's being dropped because he just sucks? IDK.

I think the browns run a 3-4 D but so did langford when he came here and that worked out ok. Dude had a good first and second year then he just fell off the map for some reason. I don't know if its injuries, laziness or what I wouldn't pick him up on waivers because I'm sure hes making 4 or 5 mil this year but if he clears I'd at least bring him in and work him out. We need one more fatty to stuff the run

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IIRC there are two things that make the number smaller. One we're at the top 51 salary cap number, meaning the top 51 contracts only count right now. When we cut to 53 that number will of course go up to 53. Secondly we have to sign our practice squad and fit them in with that 6.9 million. The 2 other contracts to get to 53 will be minimums of I believe $583k so those take it down to $5.24 million. I'm not sure practice squad has a set salary it's whatever they agree to but we'll also need a bit to spend in case of injuries for players to be signed. Nice to have a little cushion.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Wait, that means we cut $6.9 million in cap space since Monday on top of what we already had? or after the cuts we have $6.9 million in cap space? Cause if its the latter who did we cut that cost cap space? Cap space is only counted by the highest 53 player contracts and I don't remember us cutting anyone that would fall under that designation.
This confuses me as well. How did we cut that much??? 6.9M sounds more like our total cap#. Of course, cap #s always confuse me somehow.

Alan

Legend
We didn't cut $6.9 million in salaries with those cuts. The minumum salary is $435,000. Reducing our roster from 90 to 75 is a reduction of 15. 15 X $435,000 = $6,525,000 or the same amount of CAP space cut. The difference between $6.9M and $6.525M ($375K) is other money "saved" from injury settlements and the like. This supposed CAP savings is meaningless.
See all the "CAP savings" here:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/cap/

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Browns had him as their NT. He played well but is coming off an ACL or something. He was supposed to see his first action this weekend, but they drafted Danny Shelton and really like him. Taylor can play a 4/3 DT too. He did in college. He would be a good pick up for depth. But he may put the Rams close to the cap. They are a little thin at corner and might need to save the space.

V3

Hall of Fame
Browns had him as their NT. He played well but is coming off an ACL or something. He was supposed to see his first action this weekend, but they drafted Danny Shelton and really like him. Taylor can play a 4/3 DT too. He did in college. He would be a good pick up for depth. But he may put the Rams close to the cap. They are a little thin at corner and might need to save the space.
If he cleared waivers, that would make him cheaper and we could cut Sims to make more room if need be(don't think we'd need to, though). I like Sims but he just seems like the type of player we have too many of. Perhaps we could trade him for some CB or OL depth?

Alan

Legend
For all those who think picking up this player would be a good idea, let's just look at a few facts and one probable truth.
First, this guy wasn't even good enough to make it through the first round of cuts. Granted the Browns have a very good D-line and he probably makes more money than some of their other depth options but still, he probably sucks if they've already given up on a 1st round pick.
More importantly though, we probably won't keep more than 9 players on the D-line and we already don't have room for many of these guys (from the other thread) who are most probably better:
1.Quinn
2.Brockers
3.Donald
4.Long
5.Trinca-Passat
6.Simms
7.Hayes
8.Longacre
9.Fairley
10.Westbrooks
11.Infedi

V3

Hall of Fame
For all those who think picking up this player would be a good idea, let's just look at a few facts and one probable truth.
First, this guy wasn't even good enough to make it through the first round of cuts. Granted the Browns have a very good D-line and he probably makes more money than some of their other depth options but still, he probably sucks if they've already given up on a 1st round pick.
More importantly though, we probably won't keep more than 9 players on the D-line and we already don't have room for many of these guys (from the other thread) who are most probably better:
1.Quinn
2.Brockers
3.Donald
4.Long
5.Trinca-Passat
6.Simms
7.Hayes
8.Longacre
9.Fairley
10.Westbrooks
11.Infedi
That's why I said drop one of the backup vets that are redundant like Sims(last year anyways). I also said that's assuming Taylor's still good at stopping the run. Good players are dropped all the time due to contract sizes and having too many at one position. If Taylor indeed does suck, then never mind.

Either way, it's no biggie. I was just thinking that after Brockers we are woefully thin at DL that are good at stopping the run, and if this guy could do that, why not take a chance.

Alan

Legend
V3 dissing our depth on the D-line:
I was just thinking that after Brockers we are woefully thin at DL that are good at stopping the run, and if this guy could do that, why not take a chance.
I'd have to disagree with you about that contention. The multi-talented (also a DE) Westbrooks is his (Brockers) backup so I'm assuming you think he sucks at run D and since he isn't eligible for the PS I guess you want to cut him or try and slip Trinca-Passat onto the PS right? So basically, you want to take a "chance" on a player that the Browns don't like so that we can cut somebody we do like? Maybe that could work out but I'll pass.

I doubt there will be any player another team cuts that can make us better. This isn't the 2011 Rams.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
1.Quinn
2.Brockers
3.Donald
4.Long
5.Trinca-Passat
6.Simms
7.Hayes
8.Longacre
9.Fairley
10.Westbrooks
11.Infedi
I think we keep 9 of these and I think Trinca-Pasat is #9!!

Last edited:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think we keep 9 of theseand I think Trinca-Pasat is #9!!
I agree and I also think he may become awful good at stopping the run. I mean he is living in an Aaron Donald type frame. I see Infedi and Longacre possibly landing on the PS.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I agree and I also think he may become awful good at stopping the run. I mean he is living in an Aaron Donald type frame. I see Infedi and Longacre possibly landing on the PS.
I'm not sure how long Longacre will last after we cut him! I hope we can get him on the PS!!(y)