56/1 I am Now in Goff's Camp.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
And to say it again, I REALLY like Goff.

I just don't think you can add Goff, stir, and viola...instant success. That wasn't all that was wrong with this offense and if Fisher thinks that, then we have 3-4 years of frustrated tinkering while they try to figure out the obvious...

I don't think it was 'just the QB' either. I think it was a big part. Has been. A lot of things have to come together for this thing to work. GRob working with Bentley has to have the bulb come on. Havenstein has to progress. Brown has to get healthy and progress. Saffold has to stay healthy. And if not Wichmann has to progress. Quick has to get better. Austin and Gurley can't be responsible for 50% of the rushes and receptions. We have to have a good TE. A lot of stuff has to happen. But you can be sure, if by some miracle it does happen, it'll be said it's because of Goff.

And I know you didn't say Goff was the best pick. I just thought your viewpoint of what was going to happen and why was so on point, I figured Goff is the best pick.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Im going to tell you youre wrong"

Talk about hubris.:rolleyes:

Sorry but those guys are not going on anyones list of great QBs. Average to above average at best.

McNair threw for over 16 tds three times in 13 years. Sorry, but no, just no.

edit:: I just looked up the passing td records for single seasons at pro-reference.com. The list stops at the top 236 single seasons.....McNair didnt even crack the list once before it stopped. And the list is littered with average QBs all over the place like Aaron Brooks, Jon Kitna etc. :rolllaugh:

just wondering, did you ever watch mcnair play in the nfl? in his prime? there was nothing average about him.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
McNair was like a MUCH, MUCH bigger Russell Wilson.

He just gave defenses...FITS.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
And to say it again, I REALLY like Goff.

I just don't think you can add Goff, stir, and viola...instant success. That wasn't all that was wrong with this offense and if Fisher thinks that, then we have 3-4 years of frustrated tinkering while they try to figure out the obvious...

And '" the obvious" would be what exactly?
For the record Mack, imho, you are pretty much 100% wrong in your analysis, and I use the term analysis loosely.

To paraphrase Bill, "it's the quarterback stupid".

And to be clear, this is NOT, I repeat, NOT directed at you. You exemplify what makes ROD ROD.

If you don't have a QB, you don't have an "Offensive Philosophy" you have welding rod and baling wire.

And can we please all just fucking stop with the "I don't trust the Rams coaches to "develop" a quarterback?

What does that even fucking mean?

What quarterback has what team "developed"?

Did TB, TEN, and/or CAR "develop Winston, Mariota or Newton?

How'd Newton do when the shit hit the fan. He sucked is what he did, then whined like a little bitch.

Fisher has been so snakebite at QB, he'd makes a Louisiana tent preacher blush.

Did y'all even watch Foles last year- he madePonder look like Montana.

Fuck! :headexplosion:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, firstly, I'm not taking it personal. (y)

I've explained at length over the course of today and going back several days, I think, what I mean.

In 2014, they spent the first 5 games trying to run the WCO. They went 1-4 and looked just awful. They then ditched that and reworked the playbook to focus on the run and went 5-6 after that. Not great, but better. The 2015 draft came along and what did they do?

They drafted a power back with explosion and? Tons of OL for a power running scheme. Were these OL that were excellent fits for a WCO? No. Fisher and Snead fleshed out the personnel for a power running play action offensive scheme. What would those be? Well, you could do it using the Coryell variant that Washington used or you could use the Earhardt Perkins variant that Pittsburgh uses. I prefer the Pittsburgh EP variant because it allows for more creativity and better use of "weapons" and deep threats. But WCO? NDSU used a power running WCO offense, but it also had some read options built in. I honestly don't know if the breakdowns fully work without a QB who does some running. Those pro concepts translate directly to the NFL, but I dunno if you'd want to run that offense IN the NFL.

So now we're in 2016. We've had 3 years of drafts and virtually every pick and FA acquisition has pointed to building a power running, play action offense. Now it's time to get the QB.

There are two QBs available at the top. One is a prototypical big armed, physical, athletic, super-smart, QB who's spent 5 years in a power running, play action, pro style offense. The other is a slim, accurate, slippery, very smart QB who's spent 3 years in a spread and looks to fit the WCO like a glove due to his decision making, arm and touch.

Now, every other player is basically a fit for this power running offense. We don't really have any receivers who are fits for WCO. Fisher prefers big receivers like Britt and Quick. We don't know about Bailey. Marquez is still very new and Tavon is more of a weapon than an X or Y, per se. Gurley is a bell cow back, not someone who's going to get 90 receptions a year. Not that he couldn't, mind you, he's good enough for that. Point being that there are no players on offense who FIT the WCO. The WCO uses lots of pulling guards, for example, smaller, faster guards who can get to the second level in a hurry. We've got hogmolleys who can crush that first block and then watch Gurley blaze past.

Now, in THIS environment, who are they enamored with? Who are they going to draft?

Yep, the WCO QB. And, in all likelihood, revert to that disastrous WCO that Fisher wanted to run before, but couldn't. So glad he spent the last 3 years drafting for an entirely different offense. /smh

As for Fisher, yes, we have 20+ years of his history that we can examine. It's not that hard. We know what he did and didn't do for McNair and Vince Young. We know how he had success and how and why he didn't. With Fisher, it's actually really simple stuff.

That's why those who really know their stuff, guys like Greg Cosell, Mike Mayock, and a bunch of other tape grinders said pretty early that Wentz was the "slam dunk" pick for the Rams. It's not that Wentz is SO much better than Goff. He's not. It's that when you look at how Fisher's constructed this roster and what kind of player has had success under Fisher, Wentz is just beyond the obvious choice. This is from people who've known Fisher for decades.

So, Fisher's going to have his WCO QB and his power running, play action offense. And we know how well this regime has done adjusting the offense to its personnel...:(:(:(

But back to Fisher. Developed means that a QB enters the league and they not only learn better the craft of being a Quarterback in the NFL, but also how to execute a Pro offense. It is clear after all this time that Fisher and his many OCs can get a QB to sometimes execute a hodgepodge offense. Sometimes. They cannot and have not significantly improved the ability to be a thrower, per se. Mike McCarthy truly developed Aaron Rodgers, not just from a scheme standpoint, but also his mechanics, his physicality...everything. Fisher has never developed a QB like that. The best Fisher can say is that he "coached up" a QB in McNair and he gets tons of credit for that. But "coached up" is not developed.

McNair never matured into the thrower that McNabb (his best game was a 5TD game on a badly sprained ankle near the end of his career) or Roethlisberger or Warren Moon became. He always had to rely on making something happen. That's great and he was great at it.

Problem for now is that they just got someone who needs to be actually developed and in over 20 seasons of being an HC...he's never, ever done it. Not once. Moreover, he just spent the last 3 years drafting people for an offense he's not going to run.

If you'd like more specific details on any part of this, just highlight the part and I'll try to break it down.

WvuIN02

Starter
just wondering, did you ever watch mcnair play in the nfl? in his prime? there was nothing average about him.

Yes. Above average during the few years where they made the playoffs/SB, average otherwise. His numbers were never that good. 174 career tds 119 ints, not exactly mind blowing.

My entire family is from near Pittsburgh area so I got to see him twice a year in the days of the AFC central as those games were on every Sunday and Titans games played all the time on local affiliates in WV. And in those pre direct TV etc days I bet I watched more of their games than anyone here unless you were also a Titans fan or living in Tennessee.