53-man roster predictions - GO!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I didn't think he was overly impressive as a gunner, no. Now I know that gunner isn't exactly a glamorous position - you are often being punished out there by multiple guys - but I thought that Stedman Bailey, for instance, did a much better job out there. I recognize that the ST units were impressive - and lets be honest, most of the credit for that should go to the kickers themselves - but I have wanted to like Pead, have focused on him specifically out there - and no, I didn't think his ST play was overly impressive - certainly not impressive enough to give him a roster spot if he isn't going to be involved in the offense. Is there a particular game I should go back and rewatch to reconsider, or were you just impressed by the overall results of the punt and kickoff teams?

A particular game? No, but I also tend NOT to focus solely on things like him getting an unsportsmanlike penalty (which was a bogus call IMO) because he ran by a returner and said something, while others tend to forgive the numerous indescretions of our new cult hero Ray Ray....

I guess I have always seen the ability with Pead, and like many, am just as frustrated with his overall lack of production. But I also see more of him than a lot in here, and watching the guy do things he does on the practice field is enough for me (and apparently this coaching staff) to want to not give up on him.

If being a core Special Teams guy is enough to keep him active on Sundays, and judging from what you have heard from Schottenheimer, it seems they recognize he still has potential to contribute on offense. Unless and until someone (Stacy?) steps up and shows he can improve in his blitz pickup (see the 1st play of the Carolina game), IMO, Pead will have a role on this team. Does that translate into multiple CARRIES per game this year? Who knows, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

Right now, if I had to guess, I would say the battle for who the 3rd RB dressed on game day comes down to Cunningham and Mason, and whichever one of those guys shows to be more capable as a kickoff return guy. But as it stands today, I would imagine Stacy & Pead will be active on most Sundays.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Unless there's a noticeable difference between Sam and whichever player he ends up battling with, I think they're going to keep him. He's a good player and they drafted him for a reason.

There's also no chance he makes it through waivers. The defensive SEC player of the year last year, and he's 6th in jersey sales (only Ram to break the top ten, I wouldn't be shocked if he's the only Ram to break the top 20 to be honest) a team will take a chance on him for those reasons alone. Unless he totally sucks during camp, which I don't see, I think he has a spot on the team. He's too high profile to slip through waivers, if the Rams want him he makes the 53, if he doesn't win his camp battles, then he doesn't. I don't really see the rage about Westbrooks to be honest.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
A particular game? No, but I also tend NOT to focus solely on things like him getting an unsportsmanlike penalty (which was a bogus call IMO) because he ran by a returner and said something, while others tend to forgive the numerous indescretions of our new cult hero Ray Ray....

I guess I have always seen the ability with Pead, and like many, am just as frustrated with his overall lack of production. But I also see more of him than a lot in here, and watching the guy do things he does on the practice field is enough for me (and apparently this coaching staff) to want to not give up on him.

If being a core Special Teams guy is enough to keep him active on Sundays, and judging from what you have heard from Schottenheimer, it seems they recognize he still has potential to contribute on offense. Unless and until someone (Stacy?) steps up and shows he can improve in his blitz pickup (see the 1st play of the Carolina game), IMO, Pead will have a role on this team. Does that translate into multiple CARRIES per game this year? Who knows, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

Right now, if I had to guess, I would say the battle for who the 3rd RB dressed on game day comes down to Cunningham and Mason, and whichever one of those guys shows to be more capable as a kickoff return guy. But as it stands today, I would imagine Stacy & Pead will be active on most Sundays.

You got me there .... I can't ignore the possibility that my gut feelings for particular players color my impression of how they look out there. I can't attend camp - so I'll defer to your eyes - in the little bits that I do see on TV - Pead has those quick light feet and you think he would be prime to play out there - but this is year 3 - and its not like we are talking about digesting the playbook - he is a RB. Its an attitude - as I understand - that holds him back.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's the thing for me.... Everyone says Sam is a "tweener" at 6'2 261. But then Westbrooks is listed at 6'4 267. It would appear to me, that Sam actually has a stronger base to him, and yes, that pass rush burst that I don't see from Westbrooks. I get that the combine measurables are all the rage. But when you just "watch the tape", all you see is a guy who finds a way to make plays, against the BEST competition in the country.

Whereas, Westbrooks dominated at West Texas A&M. He went undrafted for a reason. NO?

Obviously, we are all just making projections here. But does anyone really believe that if the circus that became the Michael Sam show had not been surrounding him, he would have not been drafted somewhere in round 4 or 5?

I am not projecting my black and gold here either. This is purely from a football standpoint IMO.
Could be. Much of the reason Westbrooks didn't get drafted, I believe, is because of his level of collegiate competition and his inconsistent motor. Sam's too light to move inside, for the most part, and doesn't have the athleticism to play in space. Westbrooks looks more projectable to me, and those two extra inches of height imply that he could put on more weight than Sam could in an NFL conditioning situation.

Sam bled production in the SEC. That counts for a lot. But I think he falls into the same trap a lot of guys do - great production in college, but believed to have a low ceiling at the next level - as opposed to a guy like Westbrooks, who they think with the last spot on the roster could be developed into a better-performing pro.

As always, just my opinion, but there it is. And again, if it comes down to special teams contributions, that could well skew the discussion strongly towards Sam.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
You got me there .... I can't ignore the possibility that my gut feelings for particular players color my impression of how they look out there. I can't attend camp - so I'll defer to your eyes - in the little bits that I do see on TV - Pead has those quick light feet and you think he would be prime to play out there - but this is year 3 - and its not like we are talking about digesting the playbook - he is a RB. Its an attitude - as I understand - that holds him back.

Its been well documented on these message boards, that most of Pead's issues are off field and all revolve around his perceived lack of maturity. Being late for meeting, sulking over his lack of playing time, not passing the PED test. All things that appear to be behind him.

I will be the first one to stand up and say, "it's time to move on" if he doesn't show it ON THE FIELD this year. But at least for me, it speaks volumes that it was Daryl Richardson who was shown the door when most everyone here was convinced that it would be Pead who wouldn't even make it to training camp this year.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I will be the first one to stand up and say, "it's time to move on" if he doesn't show it ON THE FIELD this year.

I think this will be pretty evident early in camp - as we have said - we are talking about whats going on between his ears. If I were running things (and for a multitude of reasons, lets all be glad I am not) - the only way he would make my final 53 man roster was if I was convinced that he was 100% committed - in which case, he would be seeing carries and involved in the offense. No more maybes, no more ifs - I can't justify cutting one of these other names to give this guy a 3rd year to 'maybe pull his head out'.

I hope that he does make the team and that this is one of those threads that I am ridiculed over because he runs roughshod this year.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think this will be pretty evident early in camp - as we have said - we are talking about whats going on between his ears. If I were running things (and for a multitude of reasons, lets all be glad I am not) - the only way he would make my final 53 man roster was if I was convinced that he was 100% committed - in which case, he would be seeing carries and involved in the offense. No more maybes, no more ifs - I can't justify cutting one of these other names to give this guy a 3rd year to 'maybe pull his head out'.

I hope that he does make the team and that this is one of those threads that I am ridiculed over because he runs roughshod this year.
I think a lot of what CoachO likes in Pead is that his performance on special teams - and more importantly, his mental approach to playing on special teams. No more moping, no more angst, just an attitude of "F it, I need to be on the field, how can I do that?"

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Lets hope he shows up with that attitude this year. I'd be happy to have been wrong on him.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Not sure if I'm the only one. But when I found out we gave Westbrooks the most money out of the UDFA class I immediately pulled up some game footage of him. Didn't really walk away impressed at all. He was nowhere to be found on most plays. Is that laziness? Or just that he has a low motor? Not sure, but Sam was an absolute beast. Gotta give the kid a leg up until I see something remotely impressive from Westbrooks.

lockdnram21

Legend
ti dont think Cdy davis will make them. Only reason he got on roster last year was because Tj got hurt

CoachO

Hall of Fame
ti dont think Cdy davis will make them. Only reason he got on roster last year was because Tj got hurt

They seem to like him, and he was on the PS from the outset. Once he did get added to the 53 man roster, he gave them no reason NOT to keep him around. With a year under his belt in the system, I see little reason to think he won't make the roster.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

I don't think Pead will be #2. I'd put money it'll be Mason, with Pead scrambling to dress ahead of Cunningham.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I don't think Pead will be #2. I'd put money it'll be Mason, with Pead scrambling to dress ahead of Cunningham.

I didn't mean to infer that Pead will be the #2 RB, what I am saying he will be one of the 3, with either Mason or Cunningham being the odd man out. I foresee both of them competing for the Kickoff Return duties, with the winner becoming the ultimate #2 RB, and Pead being dressed due to his core Special Team contribution, and being the 3rd down back especially in passing situations.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Lots of options for kickoff return - there is no requirement that the gig go to a RB - although that seems to be the M.O. of this regime.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Okay. I'll try my hand at this. Starters will be in bold.

QB - Bradford, Hill, Gilbert.

RB - Stacy, Cunningham, Mason, Reynolds.

TE - Cook, Kendricks, Harkey, Bayer.

WR - Quick, Austin, Givens, Pettis, Moe, Britt.

OL - Long, Robinson, Wells, Saffold, Barksdale, Jones, Joseph, Hooey.

DL - Quinn, Long, Hayes, Sims, Sam, Brockers, Langford, Donald, Westbrooks.

LB - Laurinaitis, Ogletree, Armstrong, Bates, Steward, Wilson.

DB - Jenkins, Johnson, Joyner, McDonald, Alexander, McLeod, Daniels, Davis, Gaines, McGee.

ST - Zuerlein, Hekker, McQuaide.

Suspended - Bailey (IMHO, Britt is the one to go after Bailey gets back).

IR - Christian Bryant.

PS - Roberson, Reid, Franklin, Rhaney, Van Dyk. (I'm guessing that we sign three other players not currently on our roster to the practice squad).

All thoughts are welcome.

Last edited:

Debacled

Starter
QB - Sam Bradford, Sean Hill, Garrett Gilbert
RB - Zac Stacy, Benny Cunningham, Tre Mason, Isaiah Pead
WR - Kenny Britt, Brian Quick, Tavon Austin, Chris Givens, Austin Pettis, Stedman Bailey
OT - Jake Long, Joe Barksdale, Sam Hooey
OG - Rodger Saffold, Greg Robinson, Barrett Jones, Davin Joseph
OC - Scott Wells, Tim Barnes
TE - Jared Cook, Lance Kendricks, Cory Harkey

MLB - James Laurinaitis
OLB - Alec Ogletree, Jo-Lonn Dunbar, Ray-Ray Armstrong, Daren Bates
FS - Rodney McLeod, Mo Alexander
SS - TJ McDonald, Cody Davis, Matt Daniels
CB - Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, LaMarcus Joyner, EJ Gaines, Brandon McGee, Greg Reid
DE - Robert Quinn, Chris Long, William Hayes, Eugene Sims
DT - Michael Brockers, Kendall Langford, Aaron Donald, Alex Carrington, Ethan Westbrooks

K - Greg Zuerlein
P - Johnny Hekker
LS - Jake McQuaide

Little heavy on the DBs here, but there is a lot of young talent back there. They may keep another lineman, although I don't really thing Sam Hooey or Mike Person are two of the best 53 they need a little depth at OT. Consider Garrett Gilbert, Isaiah Pead, Davin Joseph, Brandon McGee, Greg Reid, and Ethan Westbrooks on the bubble in this list.

If JL goes down would have Dunbar step in at MLB. Might keep another LB as well.

PS as of right now

Marcus Roberson, Christian Bryant, Justice Cunningham, Mitchell Van Dyke, Brandon Washington, Demetrius Rhaney, Phillip Steward, Michael Sam

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Okay. I'll try my hand at this. Starters will be in bold.

QB - Bradford, Hill, Gilbert.

RB - Stacy, Cunningham, Mason, Reynolds.

TE - Cook, Kendricks, Harkey, Bayer.

WR - Quick, Austin, Givens, Pettis, Moe, Britt.

OL - Long, Robinson, Wells, Saffold, Barksdale, Jones, Joseph, Hooey.

DL - Quinn, Long, Hayes, Sims, Sam, Brockers, Langford, Donald, Westbrooks.

LB - Laurinaitis, Ogletree, Armstrong, Bates, Steward, Wilson.

DB - Jenkins, Johnson, Joyner, McDonald, Alexander, McLeod, Daniels, Davis, Gaines, McGee.

ST - Zuerlein, Hekker, McQuaide.

Suspended - Bailey (IMHO, Britt is the one to go after Bailey gets back).

IR - Christian Bryant.

PS - Roberson, Reid, Franklin, Rhaney, Van Dyk. (I'm guessing that we sign three other players not currently on our roster to the practice squad).

All thoughts are welcome.

Just an observation and my opinion, but if Alexander starts this year, we're going to get destroyed in coverage. He is pretty bad from what I've seen, and McDonald isnt good enough in pure coverage ability to make up for that. Once Alexander starts improving in the back end in the next couple seasons, he'll be a monster tandem with TJ but not yet.

And Carrington doesn't make the roster?

Just my opinion of course.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Just an observation and my opinion, but if Alexander starts this year, we're going to get destroyed in coverage. He is pretty bad from what I've seen, and McDonald isnt good enough in pure coverage ability to make up for that. Once Alexander starts improving in the back end in the next couple seasons, he'll be a monster tandem with TJ but not yet.

And Carrington doesn't make the roster?

Just my opinion of course.

Personally, I don't think Carrington makes the roster because he is coming off of a significant injury. In addition, he has a one-year contract compared to Westbrooks' fully-guaranteed contract at three years. I don't think his spot is all that safe.

As for Alexander starting, I could definitely replace his name with McLeod's. I just have a good feeling about Alexander, and I believe that he'll eventually become the starter.

Thank you very much for your observations. I appreciate them a lot.

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Personally, I don't think Carrington makes the roster because he is coming off of a significant injury. In addition, he has a one-year contract compared to Westbrooks' fully-guaranteed contract at three years. I don't think his spot is all that safe.

As for Alexander starting, I could definitely replace his name with McLeod's. I just have a good feeling about Alexander, and I believe that he'll eventually become the starter.

Thank you very much for your observations. I appreciate them a lot.

Not sure where you get that Westbrooks contract is FULLY GUARANTEED for 3 years.

Ethan Westbrooks DE 3 yr Total Contract $1,550,000 Average: $516,667 Guaranteed $50,000

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/

Memento

Name
Jemma