5 players under pressure at training camp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/07/02/5-st-louis-rams-with-the-most-to-lose-during-training-camp/?CsYJZRfHrErz1vZ5.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/07/0 ... Erz1vZ5.99</a>

In the NFL, training camp has always been a time for coaches to evaluate personnel and players to separate themselves from the competition. Particularly with the NFL's CBA that was put into place in 2011, this period of time is important, as it is the first, and really only, time that players are practicing in full pads with a high amount of contact.

If there is any training camp where things are up in the air, it's the St. Louis Rams' camp. Having lost nine starters this offseason, there will be plenty of spots where everyone has a chance to compete. One particularly exciting battle comes at running back, where the four competitors have a combined 108 NFL carries, 98 of those coming from Daryl Richardson. In this camp, there's going to be a huge amount of opportunity.

With opportunity, however, there comes a high amount of risk. The Rams have a huge group of young players who can improve or hurt their reputations based on what they do during the preseason. This is a particularly pressing issue at the positions where inexperienced players are currently at the top of the depth chart. If the team doesn't like what they see, they could end up bringing in free agents to fill those roles. We already saw this when the Rams brought in free agent safety Matt Giordano at the conclusion of the spring practice period.

With so few established starters on the team, plenty of things could change before they kick off the regular season on September 8 versus the Arizona Cardinals. Here are five players that have the biggest load on their shoulders as training camp begins.

#5 Austin Davis

Head coach Jeff Fisher said earlier this season that Davis would likely move into the second-string quarterback role this year after serving as the third-stringer last year. The Rams showed, however, that they don't have 100 percent confidence in the second-year Southern Miss product, as they re-signed veteran backup Kellen Clemens. As things stand now, the plan is for Davis to be the primary backup and Clemens to serve as the third-stringer, but if Davis doesn't show that he is ready during training camp, things could easily go back to the way they were last year.

#4 Harvey Dahl

Dahl missed the last two games of last season with a torn triceps and could still be feeling the effects of that injury during this year's camp. That's inconvenient for him, as the team has plenty of younger, cheaper guards who are ready to challenge for the 32-year-old's spot. It would be a great financial move for the Rams if they were able to plug in a young player and get rid of Dahl's $4 million salary. He needs to outperform several players, particularly Rokevious Watkins and rookie Barrett Jones, in order to feel safe with the starting right guard position this year.

#3 Rok Watkins

Watkins could end up being a key part of the Rams' offensive line this year if he is in condition and plays well during training camp. On the flip side, he is in jeopardy of being cut if he makes more errors in judgement. The fifth-rounder from last year, who is generously listed at only 338 pounds, was expected to compete for the team's starting left guard position last year but came to camp severely out of shape. He was prevented from practicing for a long while because of this and missed out. He recovered well enough to get considerable playing time in the Rams' season opener at Detroit, but he got injured and missed the rest of the season. This may have been a blessing in disguise for Watkins, however, as he had an opportunity to focus solely on working out.

This year, the Rams are justifiably concerned about Watkins gaining too much weight while the team isn't practicing. He seems to be making a good effort, watching what he eats and staying in St. Louis to work out with the Rams' strength staff during the break. That being said, Watkins will also be hampered by a one-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy. The young guard is a ferocious road-grader who can be a difference-maker when he is in shape, but there's always the possibility that he will mess it up.

#2 Darian Stewart

Stewart was expected to be a big part of the Rams' defense last year but got injured and failed miserably. He lost his starting spot to the often-criticized Craig Dahl and was reduced mostly to special teams duty. Luckily for Stewart, the Rams lost both of their starting safeties from 2012 and didn't bring in any sure starters to replace them, so Stewart has a good chance to start again this year.

The 24-year-old had a career year in 2011, when he had 84 combined tackles and three sacks. He was also very solid in coverage. Now, though, injury concerns loom as a cloud over Stewart's reputation, and he does not have the complete trust of the Rams. The team brought in 30-year-old free agent Matt Giordano to compete for a job, and rookie T.J. McDonald is penciled in for a starting spot. Stewart will have to assert himself in order to regain his spot in 2013.

#1 Isaiah Pead

Pead is currently the favorite to win the starting running back position, but he already showed last season that he can have trouble living up to expectations. Pead, who was taken in the second round last year out of Cincinnati, was supposed to be the Rams' number two running back and take some carries away from Steven Jackson. He disappointed and ended up third on the depth chart behind Daryl Richardson, a late seventh round pick, and only got ten carries all year.

Pead got off to a late start after missing minicamp due to the late date of Cincinnati's graduation. This missed time unquestionably hurt him, and he never seemed to get back on the right foot. As we later found out, he was also arrested last July 7 for marijuana possession, so that probably contributed in his entrance to Jeff Fisher's doghouse. It's worth noting, by the way, that he has to serve a one-game suspension for that arrest in the season opener this year.

This year, Pead will be expected to take the majority of the carries, but he will have to fight off competition from fellow second-year players Richardson and Terrance Ganaway, as well as fifth rounder Zac Stacy. The word is that Stacy has been particularly impressive during spring practices, so Pead will have to at least live up to his second-round grade to get playing time.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I'm very surprised that Quick wasn't on this list. I would replace Austin Davis (who is gonna push him?) with Quick.

Lesson

Oh, really?
I don't view Clemens being brought back as a correlation with Davis.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Lesson said:
I don't view Clemens being brought back as a correlation with Davis.

Very true Clemens had no other interest and the fact that he's like having another coach plus being a good locker room guy is the reason he was brought back as third string only. Davis has the goods to be an solid number 2 IMO, but you never know until he plays a few snaps in the regular season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
CGI_Ram said:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/07/02/5-st-louis-rams-with-the-most-to-lose-during-training-camp/?CsYJZRfHrErz1vZ5.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/07/0 ... Erz1vZ5.99</a>

As usual I would like to add some of my thoughts to what Patrick Karraker"s article said.
#4 Harvey Dahl

Dahl missed the last two games of last season with a torn triceps [My information was it was torn biceps not triceps]

& could still be feeling the effects of that injury during this year's camp. [Harvey has suffered a bad injury before with a knee in 2009 & came back just great. Harvey is 32 yrs old but he has only 5 real NFL yrs of wear & tear on him...played in only 78 games started 73. ]

That's inconvenient for him, as the team has plenty of younger, cheaper guards who are ready to challenge for the 32-year-old's spot. [Ok its true that Boudreau has four or five young OG's standing around but they all are LEFT OG types either cut from other teams or never seen an NFL field.]

It would be a great financial move for the Rams if they were able to plug in a young player and get rid of Dahl's $4 million salary.[Very true its really not 4 mil its 8 mil for 2013/2014 seasons..but the Rams have been trying to find a decent complete OLG since Tom Nutten's heyday in 2002 and have failed with over a two dozen non lasting starters ever since & the same could be said about the ORG position until Harvey became a Ram. The fact that the OLG position is still a very big scary unknown now you want to open up Bradford to a big unknown @ ORG?]

He needs to outperform several players, particularly Rokevious Watkins and rookie Barrett Jones, in order to feel safe with the starting right guard position this year. :plzstop: [Let me get this clear Harvey needs to do what???by whom?? :huhidk: Harvey is a PURE Boudreau prodigy Barrett Jones could be an all pro @ center be a great center or a very good mutli positional back up or a fair OLG but beating out a Harvey @ RIGHT OG..Zero chance on that Now let me address Rok if Rok is listed below @ this posters list @ #3 may be enough to say boost my point here on Rok beating out Harvey....not going to be close in TC or pre season.]

Now I would like to paint this picture a little better here from where Harvey really sits unknown to Mr. Karraker's view on this one player. No disrespect intended ....The Rams current OL of Long-Williams-Wells-Dahl-Saffold only Wells & Harvey have started Ram games @ their present OL positions. Wells missed the entire mini & training 2012 camps & 3 of the 4 preseason games then only finished 7 Ram Games. Harvey started 30 out of 32 Ram games @ ORG/ORT. So Harvey is the on true Ram mainstay on this Boudreau OL.Looks to me that there a good bit of settling goings ons here with this 2013 OL one would hope to have at least one mainstay starting amongst this new configuration...I have not seen any declining or degrading play from Harvey in 2012. The ORT who started next to him last season was released by the Rams due to his inconsistent play in pass blocking. To Harvey's left was Turner who also was released and Wells who even Snead said is on the downward side of his NFL career. Wells IMO was far from being a decent NFL starting center in 2012 when compared to his 2011 season. Three surgical procedures and following three rehabbing events on the same lower leg in less than one year is far more concerning than first time event of torn biceps IMO. Many here in RODville would like to take issue with my painting dark gloomy clouds over Wells 2012 play (I would welcome those posters to take up a different position on his late 2012 play...) but point is Harvey has not had a decent starting ORT (Jason Smith-Goldberg-Mark levoir-Richardson) or OC (Brown-Wragge-Turner-Wells) :pissed: playing next to him since he arrive here! Saffold IMO will be the best & he has yet to play ORT in the NFL. Point is Harvey has been the one true battle tested competitor of this OL the last two seasons!

My final bullet & this is very important to know. Harvey was a starting OT his entire starting HS & college years. He played Right Tackle in the 2005 East–West Shrine Game. He was signed to the 2005 Cowboys as a ORT, He was signed to the 9ers 2006 team as a ORT. He played ORT for the NFL Europe Rhein Fire. The Falcons signed him to the 53 player roster after starting ORT Wayne Gandy was injured in 2007. Early in 2008 a large opening opened up @ ORG with Boudreau the OL coach he nailed shut the door on the starting ORG post. Late in 2011 Ram went through four broke ORT's ....it was Harvey who moved out from his comfortable OG position into the hot fire @ ORT, he assumed the starting ORT post for the rest of the season & was the Rams best ORT in 2011!. While the 6-5 308 pounder may not be a very good starting ORT he held his own with a green as hell rookie exDE Bryan Mattison playing next to him @ ORG.

Now knowing that lets go to the current 2013 ORT situation.

#1-Rams are shaky thin @ ORT Saffold has never played ORT in the NFL worse yet Saffold has been UN ble to remain on the field the last two seasons. #2-Top OT reserve Barksdale has never started a NFL game @ ORT.
#3-Barksdlae failed @ his previous two opportunities to win the ORT post when it was handed to him in Oakland & was released.
#4-The other slight option is Chris Williams who is the lead contender for the large opening @ OLG, CW saw cameo series @ ORT last yr ^& nearly got Bradford IR'd during those times.
#5-CW failed for five yrs with the Bears to win a starting ORT post or even play the position well on cameo appearances..fact was & is CW play @ OT is deplorable thus is the reason he is here trying out @ OG instead.

Can you name me any other well known or talented prospects @ ORT? :???: So this RIGHT OT situation is not the best shape after you get passed Saffold when compared the other OL posts are as a whole.

In conclusion if Harvey was "under pressure to remain a Ram as Karraker posted tell me where this pressure is to come from? Harvey has his first upper body injury in his career & now according to Karraker is under a heavy dark cloud of pressure from this this mighty experienced proven highly talented 2013 OG candidates???? the two who Karraker named one Barrett is being shelved due to injury now by Snead & the other Rok is a last day draft pick in 2012 who has a very long list of bad negative stuff on him in his very short one NFL yr career & has done zero but get suspended for the first game.... :roll: Named me a OL'er who Boudreau would have more trust in than Harvey? Named me a Ol'er who has played better than Harvey? Name me a Ol'er who gives his all on each and every play more than Harvey? If Saffold & Harvey remains healthy & they gets tight together on that right side the NFL world could be shaking for months after this 2013 season is completed & both Harveyt & Rodger could be playing in their first pro bowls together.
:ahahah: So take that Downer Drama Harvey stuff elsewhere Patrick!

jap

Legend
It's mid-summer before training camp. Traditionally, many sports writers resort to creating "controversies" and imaginary struggles around this time just to be able to sell their stories. It's difficult for me to take anything these guys say anytime in general, but especially at dead times like this. :ww:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
jap said:
It's mid-summer before training camp. Traditionally, many sports writers resort to creating "controversies" and imaginary struggles around this time just to be able to sell their stories. It's difficult for me to take anything these guys say anytime in general, but especially at dead times like this. :ww:

Hey jap your right as you have stated above.... nothing more than IMAGINARY. But I just felt the need to protect one of my Favorite Ram Sam Protectors here! Plus its been flooding here in the deep south since Thursday last week. Can't go nowhere because the roads are all under water.

Demoff & Snead sure could have used that $$$$ 8 million tied up in a old broken down ORG who has to show something before being dumped for a 2012/2013 last day drafted OL'er who has done NOTHING. The fact that subject never really surfaced early when the Rams were scratching around for pennies should be further proof of what the Rams org feels about this Harvey guy.

jap

Legend
BonifayRam said:
jap said:

Hey jap your right as you have stated above.... nothing more than IMAGINARY. But I just felt the need to protect one of my Favorite Ram Sam Protectors here! Plus its been flooding here in the deep south since Thursday last week. Can't go nowhere because the roads are all under water.

Demoff & Snead sure could have used that $$$$ 8 million tied up in a old broken down ORG who has to show something before being dumped for a 2012/2013 last day drafted OL'er who has done NOTHING. The fact that subject never really surfaced early when the Rams were scratching around for pennies should be further proof of what the Rams org feels about this Harvey guy.

As long as Couch Bou is naming the starting five, we can be sure his prize pupil, Harvey Dahl, is safe. If Harvey is past his time, I am sure Coach Bou will be the first to inform him. This is not to take away from your great arguments; Harvey has been spread pretty thin covering for inferior adjacent line mates. He now has to help get an inexperienced RT Rodger Saffold up to speed and, depending on Scott Wells' health, may have to help break in a young center in rookie Barrett Jones if Scott's body goes south again.

Fish, Coach Bou, and the rest of the Rams coaching team have been showing the reading audience just how ignorant many of these sports writers are. Even with the obvious improvement last season and two back-to-back drafts par excellence, most still publicly dismiss|ignore the Rams as a viable contender threat. There will be more future embarrassments for the writers before they finally prostrate themselves before the Fisher King and his vastly experienced royal court of coaches.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
jap said:
BonifayRam said:
jap said:

As long as Couch Bou is naming the starting five, we can be sure his prize pupil, Harvey Dahl, is safe. If Harvey is past his time, I am sure Coach Bou will be the first to inform him. This is not to take away from your great arguments; Harvey has been spread pretty thin covering for inferior adjacent line mates. He now has to help get an inexperienced RT Rodger Saffold up to speed and, depending on Scott Wells' health, may have to help break in a young center in rookie Barrett Jones if Scott's body goes south again.

Fish, Coach Bou, and the rest of the Rams coaching team have been showing the reading audience just how ignorant many of these sports writers are. Even with the obvious improvement last season and two back-to-back drafts par excellence, most still publicly dismiss|ignore the Rams as a viable contender threat. There will be more future embarrassments for the writers before they finally prostrate themselves before the Fisher King and his vastly experienced royal court of coaches.

I don't think Harvey gets the credit he should. He has been healthy in his career AND can play RT if need be. Not to mention he plays with attitude... something we love in linemen.

Our online is shaping up to be awesome!

nighttrain

Legend
albefree69 said:
I'm very surprised that Quick wasn't on this list. I would replace Austin Davis (who is gonna push him?) with Quick.
indeed, Davis seems a lock at #2 QB, while Quick has to prove he's caught up to the NFL
traim

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
nighttrain said:
albefree69 said:
indeed, Davis seems a lock at #2 QB, while Quick has to prove he's caught up to the NFL
traim

Agree, shall I offer up a few reasons for Quick being @ the top of a training camp pressure?

#1- When you draft a WR with the very first selection just after the First Round of the 2012 Draft concluded......

#2- On top of that its the first selection on the second day....where the value of that pick is off the charts in trade value! ........

#3- Then this player is playing on what most believe is the weakest WR cadre in the 2012 NFL! Snead & Fisher thought that Quick was the top #33 rd player in the 2012 draft?

#4- This weak WR cadre of of six WR's on this 2012 roster this #33rd pick was far down on that depth chart like the 6th WR Quick was beat out by a 4th rd. rookie, a UDFA, a 6th rd Eagles pick, & a 3rd rd. 2011 pick.

#5- Rams still felt so uncomfortable early this off season that Org. piled up a wheelbarrow of $$$ to purchase receiver Jared Cook.....still feeling bad about the wr cadre they then used its priceless acquired draft picks in the RG3 trade to spend some of that assets to move up a good chunk of the first round to get the best WR in the 2013 draft even after all that the Org still felt the need to then used its 3rd round pick on another WR....

So yes albefree & train Quick would be my top Ram in a training camp in the pressure cooker!

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
BonifayRam batting .800:

Agree, shall I offer up a few reasons for Quick being @ the top of a training camp pressure?

#5- Rams still felt so uncomfortable early this off season that Org. piled up a wheelbarrow of $$$ to purchase receiver Jared Cook.....still feeling bad about the wr cadre they then used its priceless acquired draft picks in the RG3 trade to spend some of that assets to move up a good chunk of the first round to get the best WR in the 2013 draft even after all that the Org still felt the need to then used its 3rd round pick on another WR....

That statement might be true but there are alternate explanations.

You refer to Cook as a receiver but I believe he's a TE who just can't block very well. I believe that the acquisition of Cook would have been very smart of Snisher regardless of the progress of Quick. Cook was a player that Fish had drafted and the two TE Cheatriot model is all the rage now in the NFL. In addition, while I have warmed up considerably to Kendricks we would still have had to spend a very high draft pick at the position with no guarantee of success and a built in learning curve for whichever TE we drafted.

As for drafting another WR in the third round, I don't believe we had any choice after losing both Gibson and DA. We've seen what waiting until later in the draft gets us haven't we? Keeping DA or Gibson would have been a mistake IMO and again that is independent of Quick's development or lack thereof.

I do agree with your agreement of what train and I asserted. :plzstop:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
There is a lot of pressure on Quick, good points made.

I'm glad to see he's working hard. He might have the talent, but he won't reach it without the work.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
albefree69 said:
BonifayRam batting .800:

That statement might be true but there are alternate explanations.

You refer to Cook as a receiver but I believe he's a TE who just can't block very well. I believe that the acquisition of Cook would have been very smart of Snisher regardless of the progress of Quick. Cook was a player that Fish had drafted and the two TE Cheatriot model is all the rage now in the NFL. In addition, while I have warmed up considerably to Kendricks we would still have had to spend a very high draft pick at the position with no guarantee of success and a built in learning curve for whichever TE we drafted.

As for drafting another WR in the third round, I don't believe we had any choice after losing both Gibson and DA. We've seen what waiting until later in the draft gets us haven't we? Keeping DA or Gibson would have been a mistake IMO and again that is independent of Quick's development or lack thereof.

I do agree with your agreement of what train and I asserted. :plzstop:

I can't wait to get your old butt in that ROD chat room in a few months and see you chat that Jared plays like & looks like a TE! :box: :ninja: :cheers: Its going to be great! Start working out your fingers!

I think that Kendricks has excelled big time in his new position in Shotty's FB/H-back his run blocks have been OUTSTANDING! Fisher seems also to like his returning young TE's Harkey, McNeil, Graham. Plus Fisher also has signed three large TE's.... two rookies Phillip Lutzenkirchen 6-3 265 & Colby Prince 6-5 260 plus 6-7 270 pound Zack Potter who has 14 starts was a DE in college.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
BonifayRam throwing the gauntlet:
I can't wait to get your old butt in that ROD chat room in a few months and see you chat that Jared plays like & looks like a TE! :box: :ninja: :cheers: Its going to be great! Start working out your fingers!

I think that Kendricks has excelled big time in his new position in Shotty's FB/H-back his run blocks have been OUTSTANDING! Fisher seems also to like his returning young TE's Harkey, McNeil, Graham. Plus Fisher also has signed three large TE's.... two rookies Phillip Lutzenkirchen 6-3 265 & Colby Prince 6-5 260 plus 6-7 270 pound Zack Potter who has 14 starts was a DE in college.
:lol:
I really can't do the game day thread/chat room thing because of my vision problems. It takes me a long time to read what others write. Even worse, I can't see what I'm typing until after I finishing typing it. I leave out whole thoughts and sentences that I have to edit in or out after I post it. I would never be able to keep up with you guys.

As for Kendricks, I'm in total accord with you there. Where we might diverge is your statement about the skills needed by the other TE. The Cheatriots have shown us the huge advantages of having two TE weapons on the field at once. I think Fisher has adopted this trend and that's why we went after Cook so heavily.

P.S. Posters should never reply to my posts without giving me at least 2 or 3 minutes to correct my mistakes. :oops:

RamzFanz

Damnit
Yep. Quick is under pressure. With AP impressing early, he's under a lot of pressure.

If he or AP or Bailey emerge as a real threat... I'm just giddy to think Givens, TA, Cook, Kendricks, AND Quick or AP or Bailey could be reliable targets for Sammy. It's a whole new show!

Bold prediction - Zak Stacy takes starter spot by game 5.

FSOT - Fastest Show On Turf - 2013

Ramaro21

UDFA
BonifayRam said:

#1- When you draft a WR with the very first selection just after the First Round of the 2012 Draft concluded......

#2- On top of that its the first selection on the second day....where the value of that pick is off the charts in trade value! ........

#3- Then this player is playing on what most believe is the weakest WR cadre in the 2012 NFL! Snead & Fisher thought that Quick was the top #33 rd player in the 2012 draft?

#4- This weak WR cadre of of six WR's on this 2012 roster this #33rd pick was far down on that depth chart like the 6th WR Quick was beat out by a 4th rd. rookie, a UDFA, a 6th rd Eagles pick, & a 3rd rd. 2011 pick.

So yes albefree & train Quick would be my top Ram in a training camp in the pressure cooker!

I'll bite.
1 and 2. I believe Snead and Fisher knew what they were getting with Quick. They also know they are in it for the long haul and not just the current year. I also believe Quick knows this too and is working hard to be what they expect him to be. Only draft geeks care about draft position in the new CBA world. I doubt Snead of Fisher do because they are looking at long term results.

3. Fisher and Snead IMO thought he was the best WR there for the future...not last year. To them, he has the most upside for the future.

4. Again you seem to be a draft geek and care about draft positions too much. There are millions of examples of lower round drafted players playing better than higher ones.

As for Givens...he's fast. That's how he got on the field before Quick last year. If you watched, he didn't do more then go routes the first half of the season. Then did the famous double move that isn't very hard to do and Bruce and Holt made a living of of. Givens got better in the second half and sucked up up really well when Amendola went down. He will be good going forward obviously.

Quick is not fast. Quick was learning all the route trees. IMO that was his job last year. Learn. He had a lot to learn, so I didn't expect him out there much anyway. But we will see this year and the next if Fisher and Snead got the right guy...for the Rams future next 5-10 years. I'm guessing he will show us.

5. Not even going to comment on that. Any comment that states Fisher and Snead "felt so uncomfortable early this off season" doesn't need to be addressed. albefree69 answered it well enough. :cool:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ramaro21 said:
BonifayRam said:

I'll bite.
1 and 2. I believe Snead and Fisher knew what they were getting with Quick. They also know they are in it for the long haul and not just the current year. I also believe Quick knows this too and is working hard to be what they expect him to be. Only draft geeks care about draft position in the new CBA world. I doubt Snead of Fisher do because they are looking at long term results.

3. Fisher and Snead IMO thought he was the best WR there for the future...not last year. To them, he has the most upside for the future.

4. Again you seem to be a draft geek and care about draft positions too much. There are millions of examples of lower round drafted players playing better than higher ones.

As for Givens...he's fast. That's how he got on the field before Quick last year. If you watched, he didn't do more then go routes the first half of the season. Then did the famous double move that isn't very hard to do and Bruce and Holt made a living of of. Givens got better in the second half and sucked up up really well when Amendola went down. He will be good going forward obviously.

Quick is not fast. Quick was learning all the route trees. IMO that was his job last year. Learn. He had a lot to learn, so I didn't expect him out there much anyway. But we will see this year and the next if Fisher and Snead got the right guy...for the Rams future next 5-10 years. I'm guessing he will show us.

5. Not even going to comment on that. Any comment that states Fisher and Snead "felt so uncomfortable early this off season" doesn't need to be addressed. albefree69 answered it well enough. :cool:

Nice counter, Ramaro!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ramaro21 said:
I'll bite.

5. Not even going to comment on that. Any comment that states Fisher and Snead "felt so uncomfortable early this off season" doesn't need to be addressed. albefree69 answered it well enough.

Yes nice counter on my post! WE will disagree big. Better plan on building your Ram NFL team with your unbelievable valued priceless provided draft picks! When you utilize multiple high draft selections for one position like WR......33rd & then Snead follows by using a 4th & then 1st & 3rd draft picks in back to back drafts...Not so sure how that totally is a big pressure release for Quick. It sure does not speak in fact on how much this Org has in Quick. Then throw in the fact Fisher purchased a top receiver in Jared Cook in UFA too. I am not in your corner that Snead & Fisher feel just fine with what they got and it was what they were expecting. Usually bad loosing teams with the ugliest receiving group in the NFL in 2011 and then you select a WR with a 33rd pick for a far off future possible starter in 2014 or 2015 when Quick is departing for UFA'cy ? No you use this selection with the expectations to start!

Ram fans who have suffered greatly from losing season to loosing season have witnessed over & over again when a NFL team FAILS to make good draft selections. I will continue to stress and stress again that those high draft selections are extremely important to winning team. Presently the Ram org. has got very little in return from that pick in 2012. As far as Quick being Fishers WR for the next 5 to 10 yrs? His contract only goes till 2015 when he is UFA. I want Quick starting from day one in 2013 TC and never look back. Thanks for your reply on my post.

Iron Lion

Starter
CGI_Ram said:
#5 Austin Davis

Head coach Jeff Fisher said earlier this season that Davis would likely move into the second-string quarterback role this year after serving as the third-stringer last year. The Rams showed, however, that they don't have 100 percent confidence in the second-year Southern Miss product, as they re-signed veteran backup Kellen Clemens. As things stand now, the plan is for Davis to be the primary backup and Clemens to serve as the third-stringer, but if Davis doesn't show that he is ready during training camp, things could easily go back to the way they were last year.

That makes literally zero sense.

The standard model for your QB depth is

1. Franchise QB
2. Veteran Backup
3. Developmental guy

I said last year in the preseason that I like Austin Davis. I'm not opposed to him being the #2. But if you do that, you have to release Clemens. You can't have the veteran at #3 it's just bad front office mechanics. If you put Davis at #2 then get an UDFA for #3.

Of course I know this is just a beat writer trying to fluff the dead zone of football we're in right now but come on, he has to write something that's actually plausible.