49ers legend Dwight Clark has Lou Gehrig’s disease

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/20/49ers-legend-dwight-clark-announces-he-has-als/

49ers legend Dwight Clark announces he has ALS
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 20, 2017

ap_17079125895855-e1490002438209.jpg
AP

One of the most celebrated football players of the 1980s, a man who made a single play which helped turn the fortunes of a franchise, now faces a more difficult fight than any on a football field.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14CKs0rY0jE

Former 49ers wide receiver Dwight Clark, known for “The Catch,” which helped forge a dynasty, announced that he has been diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS, a degenerative neurological condition with no known cure.

“I have ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease,” he said in a statement, via Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com. “Those words are still very hard for me to say.

“While I’m still trying to wrap my head around the challenge I will face with this disease over the coming years, the only thing I know is that I’m going to fight like hell and live every day to the fullest.”

In his statement, the 60-year-old Clark said he began feeling weakness in his left hand in September 2015. He initially dismissed it as part of the cost of playing football, like the pain in his neck he’s had since he retired. But as other options were dismissed and the possibilities of other diagnoses narrowed, other symptoms have shown up. He said he’s now experiencing weakness in his right hand, abs, lower back and right leg.

“I can’t run, play golf or walk any distances,” he wrote. “Picking up anything over 30 pounds is a chore. The one piece of good news is that the disease seems to be progressing more slowly than in some patients.”

Clark’s not the first football player diagnosed with the disease, with former Saints safety Steve Gleason having documented his battle, and former Titans linebacker Tim Shaw more recently diagnosed.

Clark played nine seasons in the NFL, all with the 49ers. And while he said in his statement he didn’t want to do interviews now, he said he thought the disease was linked to his playing days.

“I’ve been asked if playing football caused this,” he wrote. “I don’t know for sure. But I certainly suspect it did. And I encourage the NFLPA and the NFL to continue working together in their efforts to make the game of football safer, especially as it relates to head trauma. . . .

“I’m not having a press conference or doing any interviews. That time will come. Right now, I’ve got work to do. I’ve got to devote all my energy preparing for this battle and I would hope you can respect my family’s privacy as I begin this challenge. My ultimate hope is that eventually I can assist in finding a cure for ALS, which disrupts the lives of so many and their loved ones.”

If he can do that, he will have achieved something bigger than anything he did on a football field. And what he did there was merely historic.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/20/dwight-clark-als-catch-49ers-nfl-peter-king

Dwight Clark Has ALS
The former 49er, famous for making ‘The Catch,’ stunned the football community Sunday when he announced he has the incurable disease.
By Peter King

mmqb-dwightclark.jpg

Photo: Focus on Sport/Getty Images

There’s a pall over the Bay Area this morning. The weekend seemed to be setting up for a piece of football euphoria—Marshawn Lynch perhaps coming out of retirement to play for the Raiders in the hometown he loves, a bolt out of the blue that could help make the Raiders the closest NFL contender to the mighty Patriots.

Then came the Tweet from “DwightC87” at 9:03 p.m. Sunday. (I didn’t know that the man who made “The Catch” was on Twitter.)

View: https://twitter.com/DwightC87/status/843628954821054465?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

July 1979. The 32-year-old owner of the 49ers, Eddie DeBartolo Jr., and his friend and adviser Carmen Policy (later to be club president) flew to California for training camp. The new crop of rookies was on hand to try to rejuvenate a sad franchise. Immediately the third-round pick, quarterback Joe Montana from Notre Dame, and 10th-round longshot receiver Dwight Clark stood out. They were drop-dead handsome, first of all, and just as confident.

Years later, Policy recalled seeing Clark and Montana together that first summer. “You wanted to be them,” Policy said. “So handsome, so ready for this moment. Looking at them, they seemed indestructible.”

Until Sunday afternoon, Clark was inclined to try to fight the disease privately, a friend said. While at a sports memorabilia show in Chicago, Clark ran into Jim Kelly, and Clark shared the news. Kelly posted a photo of the two of them on Instagram at 4:54 p.m. Kelly asked his followers to pray for Clark, who was suffering from ALS. That sent Clark’s statement into motion.

He said he began to feel symptoms of muscle weakness in 2015. I’m told he was told with finality he had ALS in the middle of 2016. Said Clark: “I can’t run, play golf or walk any distances. Picking up anything over 30 pounds is a chore. The one piece of good news is that the disease seems to be progressing more slowly than in some patients.”

And he said: “I’ve been asked if playing football caused this. I don’t know for sure. But I certainly suspect it did. And I encourage the NFLPA and the NFL to continue working together in their efforts to make the game of football safer, especially as it relates to head trauma.”

Clark and Montana will always will be intertwined. They are the same age—both 60 now. Both are transplanted Californians—Clark from North Carolina, Montana from south of Pittsburgh. In their third season, 1981, Montana rolled right in the NFC Championship Game, down six as the final minute ticked down, pumped once and then again and then threw a high ball to Clark in the back of the end zone. Clark caught it with his fingertips. “The Catch” sent the Niners to their first of five Super Bowls over the next 15 years. The 49ers won them all.

That’s why the Bay Area will be in the dumps for a while. The region loves Montana dearly, and loves his decades-long sidekick almost as much. This will hit hard.

And it will put some pressure on the league to address ALS more aggressively than it has. Clark becomes at least the sixth former player in the past 10 years to be diagnosed with this incurable disease that gradually shuts down every muscle in the body.

Former Patriots and Eagles running back Kevin Turner had ALS and died in 2016. Saints special-teamer Steve Gleason, who turned 40 on Sunday, lives with the malady and has become a tireless advocate for funding to try to find a cure. Former Tennessee linebacker Tim Shaw also has the disease and is an advocate for a cure.

Former Raiders fullback Steve Smith suffers from it as well, as does former Dolphins and Ravens special-teamer O.J. Brigance. In 2012, the American Academy of Neurology published a study of 3,500 former players that said pro football players were four times as likely to die from ALS or Alzheimer’s disease as the general population.

As Clark said in his statement, it’s incumbent on the stewards of the game to press for as safe a sport as possible. Clark’s case is just another clarion call for the people who run the sport to make the equipment safer, and to spend generously to study the effect of brain trauma on post-football life for players.

You can be sure that as evidence of links to long-term brain injuries and devastating diseases like ALS mounts, more and more parents of young people will question at what age—if ever—they’ll allow their children to play tackle football. And rightfully so.

bnw

Pro Bowler
That is horrible. I wish him and his family the best. Not sure about the link to football. Wonder if boxers are more prone to ALS?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My prayers and thoughts are with Dwight Clark and his family...May God give Dwight and everybody around him the strength to carry them through this journey.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That is horrible. I wish him and his family the best. Not sure about the link to football. Wonder if boxers are more prone to ALS?
Lou Gerhig himself played a mostly non-contact sport...Unless he received brain damage from beaned balls, his sport just required skill and athletic ability....... This tendency to want to blame anything other than genetics for medical defects, is just one sign that our society is getting rotten to the core..jmho. (just my humble opinion)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Praying for Clark....damn shame....10th round pick too...Like I just said in the Gale Sayers thread...Pay these guys...

Lou Gerhig himself played a mostly non-contact sport
Lou played football too. Plus baseball has a bunch of contact...and can beat you up...stealing bases...never missing games.

http://www.biography.com/people/lou-gehrig-9308266

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Gehrig
Initially, he went to Columbia on a football scholarship............. In 1922, Gehrig returned to collegiate sports as a fullback for the Columbia Lions football program.

Last edited:

Zodi

Hall of Fame
This tendency to want to blame anything other than genetics for medical defects, is just one sign that our society is getting rotten to the core..jmho. (just my humble opinion)

Um.. so you don't think external factors can cause "medical defects", at all?

Two more questions: How old is the Earth, and is it flat?

I'm pretty sure ALS is still one of those things we simply don't know enough about yet to classify a genetic disorder or caused from other factors. Medicine and biology in general is developing at a rapid case. Hell, I read the other day that the medical community is trying to reclassify Alzheimers as type-3 diabetes.

Best of luck to Clark. Hopefully he's in a position to enjoy his last few years to the fullest.

Last edited:

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception

Pesticides cause many health issues, even this GMO junk in most foods. Earth is pretty much spherical since the beginning of time...

Wish well for Clark hope he can get through this.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm pretty sure ALS is still one of those things we simply don't know enough about yet to classify a genetic disorder or caused from other factors. Medicine and biology in general is developing at a rapid case. Hell, I read the other day that the medical community is trying to reclassify Alzheimers as type-3 diabetes.

Best of luck to Clark. Hopefully he's in a position to enjoy his last few years to the fullest.

Um...activities of a vibrant growing culture sometimes involves risk. I am almost entirely certain that those involved in sports, especially pro-sports are aware of possible injuries that CAN occur. I would also assert that almost 100% of them wouldn't be deterred by this knowledge, because the young think it will happen to the other guy, and not "him."

So yes, injuries happen to those that do things they love...Sometimes skydiver chutes don't open..sometimes a boxer fails to defend himself from that right cross...sometimes Junior Seau's refuse to stop playing football, when their bodies clearly told them to stop years before they did...But even if it was one hit that caused medical issues, we take care of them afterwards if possible. We don't immediately call a lawyer on speed dial to sue because something bad happened in an activity that we all knew was a risky activity.

Most, if not all of these involve personal choice. No one forced them to play. What I was speaking to was the degeneracy of our culture to immediately go the litigious route, when something bad happens medically (or at least they immediately "wonder" if ALS might be connected to sport, with personal lawyers in attendance, as I imagine how it was presented to the press). I think it is a human need to push the envelope in life, expressed sometimes by sport. We all like to see great athletic feats that mostly involve risk. It's also cultural rot to blame others for the effects of activities that one has chosen to engage in. Want to be totally safe? Don't do anything that has any risk (IE, don't live life)

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pesticides cause many health issues, even this GMO junk in most foods. Earth is pretty much spherical since the beginning of time...

Wish well for Clark hope he can get through this.
Of course, we all do...

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Um...activities of a vibrant growing culture sometimes involves risk. I am almost entirely certain that those involved in sports, especially pro-sports are aware of possible injuries that CAN occur. I would also assert that almost 100% of them wouldn't be deterred by this knowledge, because the young think it will happen to the other guy, and not "him."

So yes, injuries happen to those that do things they love...Sometimes skydiver chutes don't open..sometimes a boxer fails to defend himself from that right cross...sometimes Junior Seau's refuse to stop playing football, when their bodies clearly told them to stop years before they did...But even if it was one hit that caused medical issues, we take care of them afterwards if possible. We don't immediately call a lawyer on speed dial to sue because something bad happened in an activity that we all knew was a risky activity.

Most, if not all of these involve personal choice. No one forced them to play. What I was speaking to was the degeneracy of our culture to immediately go the litigious route, when something bad happens medically (or at least they immediately "wonder" if ALS might be connected to sport, with personal lawyers in attendance, as I imagine how it was presented to the press). I think it is a human need to push the envelope in life, expressed sometimes by sport. We all like to see great athletic feats that mostly involve risk. It's also cultural rot to blame others for the effects of activities that one has chosen to engage in. Want to be totally safe? Don't do anything that has any risk (IE, don't live life)

Unless I completely misunderstood your first post, you contradict yourself there on the genetic "medical defects" issue. You're also arguing two different issues: personal responsibility involving athletes and the potential for long term, lasting injuries and whether or not a disorder/disease/etc is genetic or caused by external factors.

In Clark's (and many athletes from that time) case involving the former, I'd say he has more of a case for monetary assistance not only because those guys made pennies comparable to athletes today (while building the foundation for the product we see on TV now), but also because they didn't have the luxury of factoring modern science's knowledge about contact sports and it's lasting effects into their decision to play or not.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unless I completely misunderstood your first post, you contradict yourself there on the genetic "medical defects" issue. You're also arguing two different issues: personal responsibility involving athletes and the potential for long term, lasting injuries and whether or not a disorder/disease/etc is genetic or caused by external factors.

In Clark's (and many athletes from that time) case involving the former, I'd say he has more of a case for monetary assistance not only because those guys made pennies comparable to athletes today (while building the foundation for the product we see on TV now), but also because they didn't have the luxury of factoring modern science's knowledge about contact sports and it's lasting effects into their decision to play or not.
Like life, the issue has more complexity. I was arguing in that particular issue, it might be a genetic defect. You assumed that I meant that sport couldn't cause medical issues, but that is where I brought personal responsibility into the mix. People get hurt in all types of activities and it is a weakness that our culture now deals with bad things in life by trying to blame/sue others if possible. Our ancestors were stronger people because they took the blows and kept going as best they could....They didn't have access to ambulance chasing lawyers, and so that wasn't an immediate option for them ....
This is my opinion, which you don't share (that's fine). let's leave it at that.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Let me chime in on this , it is not genetic from research to this point . My dad had it , & was told so from many Dr.'s

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
My mother passed from ALS, it's a horrible disease. Comes on slow than takes away your muscle functions. She passed a year after diagnosed.
She played no sports and it's not genetic.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Like life, the issue has more complexity. I was arguing in that particular issue, it might be a genetic defect. You assumed that I meant that sport couldn't cause medical issues, but that is where I brought personal responsibility into the mix. People get hurt in all types of activities and it is a weakness that our culture now deals with bad things in life by trying to blame/sue others if possible. Our ancestors were stronger people because they took the blows and kept going as best they could....They didn't have access to ambulance chasing lawyers, and so that wasn't an immediate option for them ....
This is my opinion, which you don't share (that's fine). let's leave it at that.

Well I know Dr.'s are afraid to diagnose it, that is why he saw 6 different Dr.'s I'm sure.

My question to all is it a Brian thing ?? I thought it was nerves(feeling) ? You loss control of body parts as it gets worse. Then you can't control breathing ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My mother passed from ALS, it's a horrible disease. Comes on slow than takes away your muscle functions. She passed a year after diagnosed.

My father got panteratic cancer as well. I think that got him ? Got Meded out. So not sure. I know he couldn't barley take a bath by himself. Loved to get in the tub though. -- Sad thing

My question is how is it a head injury ?? would it be ??

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow...sorry for your loss.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
My father got panteratic cancer as well. I think that got him ? Got Meded out. So not sure. I know he couldn't barley take a bath by himself. Loved to get in the tub though. -- Sad thing

My question is how is it a head injury ?? would it be ??
It's not a head injury.