49ers legend Dwight Clark has Lou Gehrig’s disease

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
My Brother-In-Law's Mother died from ALS just a few years ago. It's a horrible disease. His mother went from normal, to speech impaired, to wheelchair, to death in about 2 years. The person is still there,,, and so is their mind,,, but their muscles just don't work anymore. So sad.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
ALS is a death sentence for most people.
It's a terrible way to go out. I had a friend from high school die from it a few years back. Your mind is fine but your body slowly fails you. Prayers for him and his family.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Real sad
My Brother-In-Law's Mother died from ALS just a few years ago. It's a horrible disease. His mother went from normal, to speech impaired, to wheelchair, to death in about 2 years. The person is still there,,, and so is their mind,,, but their muscles just don't work anymore. So sad.

Real sad , I guess I was lucky never seeing my dad get that bad. The good thing was it start in his foot. My dad was a very strong man.The good thing was it wasn't sudden, which allows family to support. Then again that is not fun either.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Like life, the issue has more complexity. I was arguing in that particular issue, it might be a genetic defect. You assumed that I meant that sport couldn't cause medical issues, but that is where I brought personal responsibility into the mix. People get hurt in all types of activities and it is a weakness that our culture now deals with bad things in life by trying to blame/sue others if possible. Our ancestors were stronger people because they took the blows and kept going as best they could....They didn't have access to ambulance chasing lawyers, and so that wasn't an immediate option for them ....
This is my opinion, which you don't share (that's fine). let's leave it at that.

Gotcha. No worries brother, and I tend to agree about this generation's inability to take personal responsibility. Just not on this particular issue. I enjoy the discussion!

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
So how does football play a role in this ?

That is the part I don't understand.
It shouldn't play a role. My mother never was in a bad accident or had head trauma. Never played contact sports.
As far as the doctors told us it could happen to anyone. This was 1996- 97.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
ALS is a terrible disease. I hope that Clark and his family can stay strong during the time he's alive.