49ers have 21 new players and want “extreme physicality” on defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/11/49ers-have-21-new-players-and-counting/

49ers have 21 new players, and counting
Posted by Mike Florio on April 11, 2017

Monday’s Number of the Day for the 49ers was 21, as in the number assigned to running back Tim Hightower but rejected by him because it was worn by Frank Gore. (Hightower will instead wear 26.)

But 21 remains relevant to the 49ers because that’s the total number of new players added by the John Lynch/Kyle Shanahan regime without numbers formally assigned to them by the team’s website. And there’s still more than two weeks to go before the draft.

The new players are (alphabetically) quarterback Matt Barkley, receiver DeAndre Carter, linebacker Brock Coyle, linebacker Jayson DiManche, receiver Pierre Garςon, receiver Marquise Goodwin, kicker Robbie Gould, Hightower, quarterback Brian Hoyer, defensive back Don Jones, fullback Kyle Juszczyk, punter Brock Miller, defensive tackle Earl Mitchell, tight end Logan Paulsen, receiver Aldrick Robinson, kicker Nick Rose, receiver Rashad Ross, linebacker Malcolm Smith, linebacker Dekoda Watson, cornerback K’Waun Williams, and offensive lineman Jeremy Zuttah.

Given last year’s 2-14 record, change surely is needed. Major change already is happening, and there’s still a long way to go until the new-look 49ers get to the start of the new regular season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/11/49ers-want-extreme-physicality-on-defense/

49ers want “extreme physicality” on defense

49ers-022817-getty-ftrjpg_wj8mci0549uk1sichqmjwzm50-e1491913254945.jpg
Getty Images

The arrival of Kyle Shanahan as head coach of the 49ers understandably will prompt significant focus on the offensive side of the ball. But the defense will be changing, too, and new coordinator Robert Saleh offered a two-word assessment on Monday of the primary trait he wants.

“Extreme physicality,” Saleh told reporters.

The physicality will be funneled through a defense that has become well known to 49ers fans in recent years, for all the wrong reasons.

“We are a single high defense,” Saleh said of the team’s scheme. “The system, you could say, it originated in Seattle. I was there from the get-go. Three teams currently, Seattle, Atlanta, Jacksonville, if you’re looking at tape, all of them have their nuances and how they operate. This will be a very, I don’t want to say it will be a very different scheme, but there are going to be differences and there will be nuances within this scheme that makes it unique to us.”

Saleh also explained that the base defense typically will be yielding to a nickel scheme, which will change significantly the needs for one of the linebackers.

“It’s real simple, the league back in the day was heavy base,” Saleh said. “SAM [strongside] linebacker, 65-70 percent of the game you’d have a SAM linebacker on the field where he’d need to perform his duties in base defense. Present day, it’s almost 70-percent nickel and the nickel who doesn’t get talked about as a starter, he’s starting to come up as an individual piece to the puzzle.

So when looking at the SAM linebacker and what they’re asked to do on a day-to-day basis, 70-percent of the game their hand will be in the ground. So, we’re looking for more of an edge rusher as opposed to what it was in years past with a brute SAM linebacker, a Bill Romanowski-type. We’re trying to move forward from that.”

Saleh mentioned that players like Ahmad Brooks, Eli Harold, and Dekoda Watson could fill the role of the strongside linebacker in a defense that spends most of its time with extra defensive backs on the field, which means the SAM linebacker will be in a pass-rushing posture.

Then there’s the LEO position in the defense, the one that Saleh calls the “hair . . . on fire, just get after the quarterback” edge rusher. The 49ers are looking for an “elite piece” like that on defense.

“I’ll name some names that have been LEOs in the past, even if they haven’t been attached to this system,” Saleh said. “People who have been attached to this system, you’re looking at Chris Clemons, Cliff Avril, Yannick Ngakoue, Dante Fowler, Vic Beasley. People outside of the system, you’d look at Von Miller, Khalil Mack. Back in his heyday, Charles Haley would have been a guy that would have been a LEO.”

The perfect LEO for the 49ers, who hold the No. 2 pick in the draft, could be the guy who currently is presumed to be the No. 1 overall pick in the draft. Which both makes the 49ers a potential candidate to slide up one spot — and underscores the yet again value of tanking during a season that already was lost.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What the hell is extreme physicality? I guess making strange words for their defense will strike fear in other teams. LOL.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Tread carefully. Jim Harbaugh coached the defense to extreme physicality only to have a huge chunk of their players retire few seasons later. They went from having ridiculous LB depth to only one good starter

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/11/49ers-have-21-new-players-and-counting/

49ers have 21 new players, and counting

Monday’s Number of the Day for the 49ers was 21, as in the number assigned to running back Tim Hightower but rejected by him because it was worn by Frank Gore. (Hightower will instead wear 26.)

But 21 remains relevant to the 49ers because that’s the total number of new players added by the John Lynch/Kyle Shanahan regime without numbers formally assigned to them by the team’s website. And there’s still more than two weeks to go before the draft.

The new players are (alphabetically) quarterback Matt Barkley, receiver DeAndre Carter, linebacker Brock Coyle, linebacker Jayson DiManche, receiver Pierre Garςon, receiver Marquise Goodwin, kicker Robbie Gould, Hightower, quarterback Brian Hoyer, defensive back Don Jones, fullback Kyle Juszczyk, punter Brock Miller, defensive tackle Earl Mitchell, tight end Logan Paulsen, receiver Aldrick Robinson, kicker Nick Rose, receiver Rashad Ross, linebacker Malcolm Smith, linebacker Dekoda Watson, cornerback K’Waun Williams, and offensive lineman Jeremy Zuttah.

Given last year’s 2-14 record, change surely is needed. Major change already is happening, and there’s still a long way to go until the new-look 49ers get to the start of the new regular season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/11/49ers-want-extreme-physicality-on-defense/

49ers want “extreme physicality” on defense

49ers-022817-getty-ftrjpg_wj8mci0549uk1sichqmjwzm50-e1491913254945.jpg
Getty Images

The arrival of Kyle Shanahan as head coach of the 49ers understandably will prompt significant focus on the offensive side of the ball. But the defense will be changing, too, and new coordinator Robert Saleh offered a two-word assessment on Monday of the primary trait he wants.

“Extreme physicality,” Saleh told reporters.

The physicality will be funneled through a defense that has become well known to 49ers fans in recent years, for all the wrong reasons.

“We are a single high defense,” Saleh said of the team’s scheme. “The system, you could say, it originated in Seattle. I was there from the get-go. Three teams currently, Seattle, Atlanta, Jacksonville, if you’re looking at tape, all of them have their nuances and how they operate. This will be a very, I don’t want to say it will be a very different scheme, but there are going to be differences and there will be nuances within this scheme that makes it unique to us.”

Saleh also explained that the base defense typically will be yielding to a nickel scheme, which will change significantly the needs for one of the linebackers.

“It’s real simple, the league back in the day was heavy base,” Saleh said. “SAM [strongside] linebacker, 65-70 percent of the game you’d have a SAM linebacker on the field where he’d need to perform his duties in base defense. Present day, it’s almost 70-percent nickel and the nickel who doesn’t get talked about as a starter, he’s starting to come up as an individual piece to the puzzle.

So when looking at the SAM linebacker and what they’re asked to do on a day-to-day basis, 70-percent of the game their hand will be in the ground. So, we’re looking for more of an edge rusher as opposed to what it was in years past with a brute SAM linebacker, a Bill Romanowski-type. We’re trying to move forward from that.”

Saleh mentioned that players like Ahmad Brooks, Eli Harold, and Dekoda Watson could fill the role of the strongside linebacker in a defense that spends most of its time with extra defensive backs on the field, which means the SAM linebacker will be in a pass-rushing posture.

Then there’s the LEO position in the defense, the one that Saleh calls the “hair . . . on fire, just get after the quarterback” edge rusher. The 49ers are looking for an “elite piece” like that on defense.

“I’ll name some names that have been LEOs in the past, even if they haven’t been attached to this system,” Saleh said. “People who have been attached to this system, you’re looking at Chris Clemons, Cliff Avril, Yannick Ngakoue, Dante Fowler, Vic Beasley. People outside of the system, you’d look at Von Miller, Khalil Mack. Back in his heyday, Charles Haley would have been a guy that would have been a LEO.”

The perfect LEO for the 49ers, who hold the No. 2 pick in the draft, could be the guy who currently is presumed to be the No. 1 overall pick in the draft. Which both makes the 49ers a potential candidate to slide up one spot — and underscores the yet again value of tanking during a season that already was lost.
They may want to get physical on defense, but so far, 13 or 14 of thse 21 Player are on OFFENCE or Special Teams!! Just sayin'!!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
They needed to clean house...I wonder how Ray Ray fits in?

They still don't have any QB's yet? Strange offseason.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
They can be as physical as they want, Wades D is gonna make them look like kittens at the end of the day.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Let's hope they don't draft well............................ Wouldn't surprise all that much if they did select

By: Luke Easterling | 4 hours ago
49ers considering Leonard Fournette at No. 2 overall?

They could swing away on a potential franchise quarterback, or add a top defensive prospect at any of the three levels. But a dark-horse candidate may be emerging.

The team is reportedly considering LSU running back Leonard Fournette, per Tony Pauline of DraftAnalyst.com:

The new front office wants a bigger back to run the offense and they’re ready to give up on Carlos Hyde, who has had his struggles staying healthy since being drafted by the franchise in 2014.

Fournette’s rare blend of size, power and speed make him one of the most intriguing prospects in this draft, but even with his level of talent, it’s hard to stomach the idea of a running back going that high in a class this deep.

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/04/11/49ers-considering-leonard-fournette-at-no-2-overall/

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I still trying to figure out how the departure from the 3-4 style new 43 defense will work out. The last two drafts they selected & used both first round picks 2015 & 2016 on prototype 34 DE's. Arick Armstead 6-7 295 & Deforest Buckner 6-7 300. I have no ideal if they will both be moved inside or left outside?

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I still trying to figure out how the departure from the 3-4 style new 43 defense will work out. The last two drafts they selected & used both first round picks 2015 & 2016 on prototype 34 DE's. Arick Armstead 6-7 295 & Deforest Buckner 6-7 300. I have no ideal if they will both be moved inside or left outside?

I thought about that as well Bonifay... Something tells me they might do something out of the box and not take another Defensive Lineman so high in the draft. This is why they could go for the BIG RB or at least go in another direction?

Lynch & Kyle's first draft
images

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Good for them.

I want things too.

An army at my command. A 21 car garage filled with exotic vehicles. And a bevy of chicks on call.

Fuck the 49ers to death.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
They would have been the worst team in the NFL last year if not for us. We need to take advantage of these clowns this season!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They would have been the worst team in the NFL last year if not for us. We need to take advantage of these clowns this season!

Fisher's strategy was to keep the first pick in the draft away from the Niners. Good thing too. Those losses prevent them from getting Garret and helped to show Fisher to the exit.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
What the hell is extreme physicality? I guess making strange words for their defense will strike fear in other teams. LOL.

I prefer "belligerent pressure", but that's just me...

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

Good for them.

I want things too.

An army at my command. A 21 car garage filled with exotic vehicles. And a bevy of chicks on call.
You might have missed your calling. You would have made a good middle eastern strongman.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan

I don't keep up much with 49ers news, LOL, Are they going to a 4-3 defense? If so, yeah, those DEs don't really fit do they? LOL

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The Rams themselves seemed to have problems on offense when facing a 3-4 defense.

Maybe we can split with the 49ers this year since they're going with a 4-3. :)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They can be as physical as they want, Wades D is gonna make them look like kittens at the end of the day.

This.

It feels good to be able to not worry about what division rivals are doing because I know we're set up for good things regardless of what the other teams do or who they draft. This is a great time to be a Rams fan dudes. Great days ahead!