49ers have 21 new players and want “extreme physicality” on defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Extreme physicality....so they will take over from the Rams with the most personal foul penalties next year? ok.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Totally....
Matt Barkley just screams "extreme physicality"

Too bad Brian Bosworth and Robert Gallery aren't in this draft to push a few real prospects our way in round 2

fearsomefour

Legend
When the focus gets too heavy on physicality you have guys focus on (and get atta boys) for big hits.....this also means missed tackles and assignments.
Sounds like a catch phrase to me.
But, catch phrase aside, the players have to understand the scheme, know their responsibility and execute.
Hopefully the DC can't coach and players don't have the skill.
Extreme suckability.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
When the focus gets too heavy on physicality you have guys focus on (and get atta boys) for big hits.....this also means missed tackles and assignments.
Not to mention getting really beat up in camp and increasing the possibility of injuries.

You have to build a defense up slowly to that type of game.

You can't just say "extreme physicality" and think that has any chance of working.

First you have to teach them solid defense and then you add the extreme physicality.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The last two drafts they selected & used both first round picks 2015 & 2016 on prototype 34 DE's. Arick Armstead 6-7 295 & Deforest Buckner 6-7 300. I have no ideal if they will both be moved inside or left outside?

, Are they going to a 4-3 defense? If so, yeah, those DEs don't really fit do they? LOL
I think Armstead could play anywhere along the LOS, and will be an excellent DE. Buckner is a straight DT, but could also imagine he could get on the edge and cause some problems.

I don't think it's that big of a switch if coached correctly. I also hear they may draft Solomon Thomas...who's also a very good defensive lineman...and can play anywhere on the line.