49ers’ Antone Exum fined $53,482 for hit on Robert Woods

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...e-exum-fined-53482-for-unnecessary-roughness/

49ers’ Antone Exum fined $53,482 for unnecessary roughness
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 5, 2019

When 49ers defensive back Antone Exum was flagged for unnecessary roughness on Sunday for a hit on Rams wide receiver Robert Woods, he and his teammates insisted he had done nothing wrong. The NFL strongly disagreed.

The league confirmed today that Exum has been fined $53,482 for unnecessary roughness. That’s a huge fine, one that suggests that Exum is lucky he didn’t get suspended, from the league’s perspective.

But from the 49ers’ perspective, Exum did nothing more than make a good football play. Exum’s teammate Richard Sherman said after the game he thought it was ridiculous to throw a flag on the play.

It’s just terrible,” Sherman. “He did all he could. He played by the rules. He hit him in the strike zone. And he got penalized. At this point, you’ve got to let him catch it and don’t hit him hard. Or you’ve got to take guys knees out.”

Those comments and that fine show the NFL and its players continue to have a disconnect about what is and is not legal.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Think I read it was more than his game check too.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

To my eyes he hit woods with the crown of his helmet at full speed. Not sure what dicky boy is crying about.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It’s just terrible,” Sherman. “He did all he could. He played by the rules. He hit him in the strike zone. And he got penalized. At this point, you’ve got to let him catch it and don’t hit him hard. Or you’ve got to take guys knees out.”

I hate listening to this guy complain. And in this case it was FAR from a legal hit. He led with the crown of his helmet.

It's a flag and fine EVERY time.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Shaddup Dick. I'm sure the penis had a really good look at it as it happened.

I thought it deserved a suspension and my guess is that if it weren't for being the last game, it would have drawn one. At least they gave him a bigger stiffy than Sherman's been giving him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It was and i couldn't believe what i was hearing from the announcers. He clearly got him with the crown of the helmet. I don't even know where they got the shoulder tackle talk came from. None of it matters if you still drill him with your helmet, especially at that speed. I was surprised woods got up.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I was. He launched with his helmet and hit Woods in the facemask. Chest my ass. They did it to Cooks too.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I think the penalties should be much higher when the player who gets hit has a game-related concussion history. Suspensions, etc. to say the least. (I know this is more Cooks related.)

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
Someone needs to find the replay. I thought it was a good hit as did the TV crew.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

VFerragamo

Cagey Veteran
Do we know for sure whether Woods is healthy following that hit btw? Looked a little dicey when it happened and he never re-entered the game. Anyone pick anything up in any of McVays pressers or in the media etc??

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Do we know for sure whether Woods is healthy following that hit btw? Looked a little dicey when it happened and he never re-entered the game. Anyone pick anything up in any of McVays pressers or in the media etc??

Woods was about to go in on the last third down with Goff, but didn't get in. Then it was the backups and Mannion. I think he's fine.

And Exum fully deserved that fine. I've said the same thing with guys like Countess.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Someone needs to find the replay. I thought it was a good hit as did the TV crew.
I tried earlier. It would probably have to be copied from the full game replay or the condensed version. It's not in the highlights and I've done a bunch of versions of searches but came up empty.

I really don't think the NFL would be giving that heavy of a fine for a good hit. It's not like they didn't actually watch the tape. I could see maybe a placating fine of the regular amount but double?

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Was watching the replay then... Exum hit the bottom of Woods facemask with his helmet. Maybe he was going for the hard legal shoulder hit but his follow through contact caused Woods to later visit the booth.