4 trade targets the Rams should consider pursuing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

If you had to guess which one of these guys be traded to the Rams who would it be?

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My guess is none of them. I don't feel like any of the four offer the right fit for us. Jeffery isn't the right fit because he's playing on the franchise tag and will cost a lot in terms of compensation. We don't have the resources to pay that compensation after the Goff trade.

Joeckel isn't the right fit because he's injury prone and not effective when healthy. He's struggled with NFL power throughout his career. We already have plenty of depth on the OL. No reason to take him on.

Dee Milliner is highly injury prone and hasn't played well when on the field. We aren't hurting at CB. No reason to take him on.

We already know who Darian Stewart is. He's a replacement-level player. And like the others, he has a long injury history.

If we're going to trade for a player, it needs to be a guy who either offers a short-term fix of a problem or a guy who has long-term appeal. And we should do our best to avoid injury prone players. If I were to offer a short list of guys that I think could fit here (both in terms of being attainable and filling a need), it would be:
1. Pierre Garcon WR Redskins
2. Ronald Leary OG Cowboys
3. T.J. Carrie DB Raiders
4. Crockett Gillmore TE Ravens
5. DeAndre Smelter WR 49ers

Personally, I think the smartest move the Rams could make would be to sign Anquan Boldin. We need a reliable veteran at WR. Boldin would bring leadership and steady play.

However, if they pursued a trade, Garcon also fits that role and Washington could trade him because he's in the final year of his deal and they drafted Josh Doctson in the first round.

Leary makes sense if we're worried about one of our guard spots (Saffold's/Brown's health). He was an above average to good starter on the 2014 Cowboys. La'el Collins took his starting job. The big question would be the cost. He's a free agent at the end of the year so I think Dallas might be willing to deal him.

T.J. Carrie might be available because the Raiders signed Sean Smith and David Amerson played well after the Redskins let him go last year. Carrie has played well throughout his time in Oakland at CB. They needed him to play safety last year due to injuries and he did it decently. He's on a cheap contract and the Raiders might be willing to deal him because they are somewhat deep at CB, signed Reggie Nelson at FS, and drafted Karl Joseph at SS. Carrie would play CB here and allow us to shift LaMarcus Joyner to FS.(an idea that I really like) Plus, he offers additional depth if Gaines is having complications from his foot injury.

I don't know if the Ravens would entertain an offer for Gillmore but I like him. He tore us up last year. He's a do it all type tight end and is still young. They might make him available because Dennis Pitta is supposedly returning from injury.(we'll see) They drafted Maxx Williams in the second round a couple of years ago and signed Ben Watson. If Pitta is back, it might give them enough depth to trade Gillmore who is a solid all-around TE.

I'd be down with trading for Smelter if Chip Kelly isn't high on him. I really liked him in the draft. He redshirted his rookie year after he suffered a torn ACL late in his final year of college. He's a raw kid but is extremely physically talented. I'd definitely take a flier on him if he were cheap to acquire.
I like that and I forgot Boldin has yet to even sign with a team...Garcon is interesting but I would pass since he doesn't bring anything to the table that the Rams already have, which is why Jeffery makes sense.

Ronald Leary is solid but the Cowboys were asking for fourth rounder and he really isn't worth that and Garrett Reynolds played better last year anyway...

T.J. Carrie was moved to safety and should alternate with both Joseph and Nelson.

Don't need a tight end imo I think Kendricks and Higbee could be dynamic if they start Goff. If Keenum starts they won't ever see the ball.

Smelter I like that is probably one of my favorites you listed. He has nice size, speed and can run block. How do I know that? He came out of the school that recruits and teaches those kind of guys. Georgia Tech is the school that is responsible for putting the likes of Calvin Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, Darren Waller and Stephen Hill in the NFL just to name some guys. Smelter could be interesting, however I think the Rams have logjammed the WR position with the 4 UDFAs they got, I believe every single one of them could make an NFL roster and 2 of them could start someday (Duke and Spruce).

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
@jakebogen95 Keep writing kid, your posts come off like articles written by people much older than you. This is a great test platform and your home teams forum. Your points are a bit controversial which is why we have 4 pages which means you have elicited passion and response....."BINGO".

To the point:
  1. Our OL is at a tipping point and will probably not repeat last years accomplishments. We will either turn the corner and become a very solid OL or suffer the misfortunes of the health issues and blocking woes of GR. I hope for the best
  2. We could certainly use a top notch mismatch wide out.
  3. Tru and EJ with LJ should hold up but we did lose our #1 corner that covered the opposing #1 receiver also we must consider the past injury issues of the remaining players
  4. We are looking at a new FS with no obvious or proven replacement in house.

The points you brought up are valid, The timing well no one is trading now but that day may come. Personally I thought Jeffery may have been dealt last year. Depending on the Bears situation later in the season I believe they want to keep and build with him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like that and I forgot Boldin has yet to even sign with a team...Garcon is interesting but I would pass since he doesn't bring anything to the table that the Rams already have, which is why Jeffery makes sense.

Garcon does bring something to the table that the Rams don't have. He is a proven starting caliber WR.

Jeffery doesn't make sense. There isn't a situation where a deal is feasible. The Bears aren't going to give him away for peanuts, and the Rams aren't going to trade significant compensation for a player on the franchise tag who they can't re-sign.

Ronald Leary is solid but the Cowboys were asking for fourth rounder and he really isn't worth that and Garrett Reynolds played better last year anyway...

Leary barely played last year. 2014 Leary was a far better player than Reynolds has ever been.

T.J. Carrie was moved to safety and should alternate with both Joseph and Nelson.

Which is why he might be available. He's not starting at safety or CB this year.

Don't need a tight end imo I think Kendricks and Higbee could be dynamic if they start Goff. If Keenum starts they won't ever see the ball.

Gillmore would be an upgrade on Kendricks and allow us to move on from Kendricks after 2016.

Smelter I like that is probably one of my favorites you listed. He has nice size, speed and can run block. How do I know that? He came out of the school that recruits and teaches those kind of guys. Georgia Tech is the school that is responsible for putting the likes of Calvin Johnson, Demaryius Thomas, Darren Waller and Stephen Hill in the NFL just to name some guys. Smelter could be interesting, however I think the Rams have logjammed the WR position with the 4 UDFAs they got, I believe every single one of them could make an NFL roster and 2 of them could start someday (Duke and Spruce).

There's no such thing as a logjam of UDFAs. But if Spruce or Duke beats him out, so be it. Would only advocate doing a pick swap or trading a 7th for him if the 49ers are considering moving on.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
@jakebogen95 Keep writing kid, your posts come off like articles written by people much older than you. This is a great test platform and your home teams forum. Your points are a bit controversial which is why we have 4 pages which means you have elicited passion and response....."BINGO".

To the point:
  1. Our OL is at a tipping point and will probably not repeat last years accomplishments. We will either turn the corner and become a very solid OL or suffer the misfortunes of the health issues and blocking woes of GR. I hope for the best
  2. We could certainly use a top notch mismatch wide out.
  3. Tru and EJ with LJ should hold up but we did lose our #1 corner that covered the opposing #1 receiver also we must consider the past injury issues of the remaining players
  4. We are looking at a new FS with no obvious or proven replacement in house.

The points you brought up are valid, The timing well no one is trading now but that day may come. Personally I thought Jeffery may have been dealt last year. Depending on the Bears situation later in the season I believe they want to keep and build with him.
Thank you very much! Glad someone understood my point haha

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Garcon does bring something to the table that the Rams don't have. He is a proven starting caliber WR.

Jeffery doesn't make sense. There isn't a situation where a deal is feasible. The Bears aren't going to give him away for peanuts, and the Rams aren't going to trade significant compensation for a player on the franchise tag who they can't re-sign.

Leary barely played last year. 2014 Leary was a far better player than Reynolds has ever been.

Which is why he might be available. He's not starting at safety or CB this year.

Gillmore would be an upgrade on Kendricks and allow us to move on from Kendricks after 2016.

There's no such thing as a logjam of UDFAs. But if Spruce or Duke beats him out, so be it. Would only advocate doing a pick swap or trading a 7th for him if the 49ers are considering moving on.
All fair points but I don't really care for Garcon would rather have DJax, Leary is good but again I think Reynolds is great for the money, Carrie is ok but I would rather go after Milliner and I like Kendricks alot keep in mind he had his starting spot stripped away in year 2 because of cook. I like Smelter but yes our WRs are logjammed with UDFAs seriously those four created the most insane position battle ive seen since I can remember!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All fair points but I don't really care for Garcon would rather have DJax, Leary is good but again I think Reynolds is great for the money, Carrie is ok but I would rather go after Milliner and I like Kendricks alot keep in mind he had his starting spot stripped away in year 2 because of cook. I like Smelter but yes our WRs are logjammed with UDFAs seriously those four created the most insane position battle ive seen since I can remember!

D-Jax offers a skill-set that is too similar to Britt's. He's a deep threat who isn't very reliable underneath. I don't trust Reynolds long-term. He's always been more of a liability than an asset as a starter. Carrie has played better than Milliner, is cheaper for longer, and doesn't have the injury history.

And I have to disagree. I don't see an insane position battle. I like the guys we brought in, but it's not like we have four All Pros battling it out. They're UDFAs. We have better position battles along the OL.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
D-Jax offers a skill-set that is too similar to Britt's. He's a deep threat who isn't very reliable underneath. I don't trust Reynolds long-term. He's always been more of a liability than an asset as a starter. Carrie has played better than Milliner, is cheaper for longer, and doesn't have the injury history.

And I have to disagree. I don't see an insane position battle. I like the guys we brought in, but it's not like we have four All Pros battling it out. They're UDFAs. We have better position battles along the OL.
Completely disagree our WR's are an insane position battle and Britt isn't anywhere near as fast as D'Jax or as good so I don't get that at all...D'jax has 4'3 speed and Britt has 4'5 no way are they similar

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams OL ranked 28th overall, 25th in pass blocking, 27th in run blocking and 22nd in penalties per PFF and is pretty much how I remember them playing too for the most part. Sure there was good moments but the bad outweighed the good overall, IMO.

and they will continue to improve..Most were freakin rookies last year

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea thats pretty obvious, but it doesn't change the production they had.
Well, if it's pretty obvious that they will improve because they are no longer rookies, doesn't this improvement indicate better blocking and therefore better production?

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Well, if it's pretty obvious that they will improve because they are no longer rookies, doesn't this improvement indicate better blocking and therefore better production?

Yes it does, but the point im getting at is, when did I say they wouldn't improve? I stated facts about the OLs production last season. I know the OL is going to improve which is why I never said anything about them not improving.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Completely disagree our WR's are an insane position battle and Britt isn't anywhere near as fast as D'Jax or as good so I don't get that at all...D'jax has 4'3 speed and Britt has 4'5 no way are they similar

Britt doesn't need to be as fast. He's 6'3" 220+ pounds. Britt's game is separating vertically. Jackson's game is separating vertically. They have the same role in an offense.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Britt doesn't need to be as fast. He's 6'3" 220+ pounds. Britt's game is separating vertically. Jackson's game is separating vertically. They have the same role in an offense.
This.

And like you said, neither is reliable underneath...