4 trade targets the Rams should consider pursuing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

If you had to guess which one of these guys be traded to the Rams who would it be?

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tough crowd @jakebogen95 ....LOL....

Joekle....naw, weak at the point of attack...
Alshon...hmmm, interesting...but I still wanna see what we have....Told you I still like Quick
Millner....poor Dee...never liked him at college...feel worse about his pro game..
Stewart...why'd we get rid of him anyway? oh yea, injuries...rather work with what we have...right now....
Yeah I mean its easy to tear into someones work they spent hours compiling and writing while they just barely look at it. Hey I am use to the criticism its what I need to be ready for as I pursue for a career in the journalism field. I will be honest though, most of these replies were not even backed up. Like the guy who says my article is dumb for instance. Oh really Milliner has underperformed ? Like I didn't know that! Of course I did...so did Barron so like what is your point?

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Ok who are we getting rid of on the OLine for Joeckel? And change of scenery for Milliner will cure his injuries? Stewart too?
Are you serious with that? You realize our OL sucks right? Joeckel as said in the article could start out in a rotation. Milliner has underperformed but again so did Barron which is why I don';t think that guy actually read my article before trashing it. I clearly stated Milliner would be a revitalizing job like Barron. Stewart doesn't suck so that is just stupid for people to say.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I mean its easy to tear into someones work they spent hours compiling and writing while they just barely look at it. Hey I am use to the criticism its what I need to be ready for as I pursue for a career in the journalism field. I will be honest though, most of these replies were not even backed up. Like the guy who says my article is dumb for instance. Oh really Milliner has underperformed ? Like I didn't know that! Of course I did...so did Barron so like what is your point?

One very major difference. Prior to coming to the Rams Barron started 37 of 39 games he was on the Bucs. How about Milliner? Oh he's started 14 games and been active for 21 of a possible 48 games. See why people don't want him? He can't stay on the field and when he has been he wasn't good enough to crack the lineup as a former #9 pick in the first round.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Are you serious with that? You realize our OL sucks right? Joeckel as said in the article could start out in a rotation. Milliner has underperformed but again so did Barron which is why I don';t think that guy actually read my article before trashing it. I clearly stated Milliner would be a revitalizing job like Barron. Stewart doesn't suck so that is just stupid for people to say.
Our OLine does not in fact suck sorry. We gave up 18 sacks with a 2nd year LT, a 1st year starter at center 3 rookies cycling at RG and 2 veterans that have been injury prone sharing the other guard duty. Our young LT was majorly struggling early in the season but as we all saw got much better as the year progressed and even cut down his penalties the last 3 or 4 games. He spent the off season working with OLine guru LaCharles Bentley on his technique and his preparation. What we need is continuity on the line not to waste what few draft picks we have next year on bringing in a guy who wasn't good enough for the Jaguars to want to keep around.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
One very major difference. Prior to coming to the Rams Barron started 37 of 39 games he was on the Bucs. How about Milliner? Oh he's started 14 games and been active for 21 of a possible 48 games. See why people don't want him? He can't stay on the field and when he has been he wasn't good enough to crack the lineup as a former #9 pick in the first round.
I am not doubting that but people just saw his name and didn't even read what I had to say haha. It's fine I don't really care but what it comes down to is this...It was just an article like giving out ideas. I didn't say lets go out and trade for Jeffery right this second. People blow things out of proportion

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Our OLine does not in fact suck sorry. We gave up 18 sacks with a 2nd year LT, a 1st year starter at center 3 rookies cycling at RG and 2 veterans that have been injury prone sharing the other guard duty. Our young LT was majorly struggling early in the season but as we all saw got much better as the year progressed and even cut down his penalties the last 3 or 4 games. He spent the off season working with OLine guru LaCharles Bentley on his technique and his preparation. What we need is continuity on the line not to waste what few draft picks we have next year on bringing in a guy who wasn't good enough for the Jaguars to want to keep around.
I am well aware of all that...However I didn't say Joeckel would start. Also our line does suck lets be real here Robinson could be really good or really bad we will see, i like saffold but hes always hurt, reynolds and havenstein are arguably our best lineman, tim barnes is atrocious as are the rest of our centers, i like wichmann, jamon brown was bad...You can't tell me that you look at the names of our depth and say nope Joeckel wouldn't be able to fit in this roster. I mean come on

fearsomefour

Legend
Trades always come down to two things to me....asking price and role of the player you are getting.
After the Goff trade I don't think the Rams have much to give up in a trade.
The asking price for Jeffrey would be high...that would be the obvious guy to get.
Joeckel maybe, would depend on what they had to give and where they saw the role for him. A 24 year old high draft pick is still going to demand something to get in a trade.
That said, where would he fit? T depth or could he help the real issue on the line, G?
O line depth is so hard to develop I think it would be tough to trade for any lineman with value just about.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Keep in mind that adding payroll to the team - like trading for a franchised WR - means that the Rams would be harder pressed to sign their own free agents this offseason. And would still need to find the money to pay their acquisition in addition. Oh, and they would be out draft picks so they couldn't draft inexpensive players.

So Jeffery likely doesn't make sense.

I would rather the Rams develop the rookies they drafted last year than trade for an underperforming OT who - if he works out - would be a free agent after this season.

A CB who can't stay healthy is not really a priority to trade for, imo. And Stewart has been viewed by Fisher extensively and given up on. The one position I trust Fisher on unreservedly is safety, so I see no point in giving up anything of value for a safety at this point.

The Rams need to keep their quality players and draft picks, not trade for guys who will be free agents after this season.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Keep in mind that adding payroll to the team - like trading for a franchised WR - means that the Rams would be harder pressed to sign their own free agents this offseason. And would still need to find the money to pay their acquisition in addition. Oh, and they would be out draft picks so they couldn't draft inexpensive players.

So Jeffery likely doesn't make sense.

I would rather the Rams develop the rookies they drafted last year than trade for an underperforming OT who - if he works out - would be a free agent after this season.

A CB who can't stay healthy is not really a priority to trade for, imo. And Stewart has been viewed by Fisher extensively and given up on. The one position I trust Fisher on unreservedly is safety, so I see no point in giving up anything of value for a safety at this point.

The Rams need to keep their quality players and draft picks, not trade for guys who will be free agents after this season.
I like our team as it is now these were just some options. IMO I think Jeffery goes to the Rams in FA next season anyway

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They might if they cant get a long term deal, joeckel is still just in need of a change of scenery, milliner too, stewart was actually really good last year.

How can you be so sure that Joeckel and Milliner just need a change of scenery to be worth trading for? Lots of first round picks never reach their projected potential. And are you assuming that Greg Robinson wont continue to improve and will need to be replaced? And what about EJ Gaines, Trumaine, and Joyner? All three were better than Milliner has been.

Stewart fit better in Baltimores defense. He was not a sure enough tackler for the Rams. He always goes for the big hit and doesn't wrap up well enough. He may have improved a little but the Rams have been grooming enough players to play the safety positions. They don't need to be trading picks or players to get something they already have on the roster.......or better.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Oh really Milliner has underperformed ? Like I didn't know that! Of course I did...so did Barron so like what is your point?
I loved Barron in college...Millner...not so much...He was just a run fast at the combine guy to me....Kinda reminds me of the guy at Cleveland now...from Oklahoma State...
Plus, these guys addressed my major concern at this moment....

A CB who can't stay healthy is not really a priority to trade for
How about Milliner? Oh he's started 14 games and been active for 21 of a possible 48 games. See why people don't want him? He can't stay on the field and when he has been he wasn't good enough to crack the lineup as a former #9 pick in the first round.
It's not really performance for me, he can't stay out there enough to get better...he has some skill.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am not doubting that but people just saw his name and didn't even read what I had to say haha. It's fine I don't really care but what it comes down to is this...It was just an article like giving out ideas. I didn't say lets go out and trade for Jeffery right this second. People blow things out of proportion

Even those responding to people blow things out of proportions :whistle: And you're right some didn't think out a response and some did. Some did research into these players before even responding and gave you thought out and articulated responses.

I am well aware of all that...However I didn't say Joeckel would start. Also our line does suck lets be real here Robinson could be really good or really bad we will see, i like saffold but hes always hurt, reynolds and havenstein are arguably our best lineman, tim barnes is atrocious as are the rest of our centers, i like wichmann, jamon brown was bad...You can't tell me that you look at the names of our depth and say nope Joeckel wouldn't be able to fit in this roster. I mean come on

Sorry you're 100% wrong on that last line. I can't unequivocally say that I wouldn't add Joeckel and his almost $7 million dollar salary to our line to be a backup over Daryl Williams and Isaiah Battle who combined make $1.045 million. Couple that with the fact that we have less than $5 million in cap space available it's really a no brainer.

Alshon Jeffery $14.6 million
Dee Milliner $4.025 million
Darian Stewart $3.25 million

Now the only one that we aren't going to fit on the roster I'm sorry there's no way in hell we fit that contract of Alshon on the team this year or next. Here's something else to keep in mind when adding salary.

Free agents next year.
Trumaine Johnson
Michael Brockers
Kenny Britt
TJ McDonald

Alec Ogletree
Greg Robinson
Aaron Donald
LaMarcus Joyner
EJ Gaines

Now some of those 1st rounders can be pushed back a year but that just makes them even more expensive in the 5th year. So when adding a salary like Alshon we have to realize that will likely cost us a one of our own free agents or two.

Sorry you feel that people are piling on you but when you come out and say that these responses are dumb and our team sucks you're going to get a forceful reaction. Again my personal opinion is the only one of the 4 I'd want on the team is Alshon. The problem is we have nothing to trade for him that we can realistically give up. Couple that with his salary is going to keep some of our home grown talent from being able to resign with us and that's strike 2 or 3 for us. As for the other 3 sorry but Joeckel is somebody else's trash that I'm not trading for to take that salary. Next year on a prove it deal? Maybe we can talk. Milliner is just a no we don't need to trade for $4 million dollar injury problems. We had Stewart, he wasn't as good in my opinion as you seem to remember him. I think he's going to get paid off of being on last years defense and that team will regret it. Let it be another team and lets not forget, Fisher had a chance to keep him and thought better of it. And there are two things that nobody can question with Fisher and that's an eye for talent on the DLine and in DB's and he and Williams develop them.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I simply love your work, jake.

But I don't see any of these proposed trades in the cards for the Rams.

Alshon would be nice to have, of course. But the costs would be prohibitive, I think. Both in terms of picks and cap dollars.

We're gonna have to make do with some combination 6 of our current receivers this year. Maybe a WR will be our early pick next year. But on the other hand, maybe we are pleasantly surprised by one of our "keepers"?

Generally speaking, blockbuster trades don't work out so well for the acquiring team, anyway.

The other players you suggested? I just don't see us with needs at those various positions, TBH. I think we're gonna be just fine at OT, CB, and S this year. More than fine.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap

Hate to say it but you are in need of a major reevaluation of your opinions about the line. IMO you're really off-base, don't know what your basing your opinions on but don't think you're going to find too many in agreement with your overall evaluation. I like the articles you write, but you're not really researching some of your statements. Sorry, don't agree that Joeckel would be an upgrade. This line has a lot of potential and if you would have watched any of the last 5 or 6 games you would have seen how once some continuity developed they played pretty darned good.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I wasn't rough on him IMO just honest in explaining why I at least feel we won't and don't need to trade for the four targets. I also don't think we'll do any trading unless it's to move a player off of the roster for draft picks next year.

I agree with you, wasn't really talking about you but I didn't want to point anyone out at the same time. :hiding:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I wanted post a reply to the OP, but OldShool did such a good job, I could only give him a "like" and read on.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
None of the above. Only guy I'd want is Jeffery but I'm not about to move the picks it would require for him.

Defense, run game, and low turnovers are what win games. Rams have all the pieces just have to get them all assembled and working together as one unit.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm just curious as to what assets the Rams have available to trade for any of these guys?

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Again I appreciate the activity and all this article is not supposed to mean lets go out and trade for 4 guys. This article was pure for fun. I mean as I said and I can't stress it enough content is extremely hard to come by this period in time and I was just trying to have fun with the original pieces i came up with like this one and the all-time rams and all-time coaches and razahn howard. I am sorry if you did not like this piece we actually got great reviews off of this one. Most just think I don't know what I am talking about but the fact of the matter is that I do. This wasn't a "Breaking down four trade options the Rams need to make" this was "4 trade targets the Rams should consider pursuing". Completely different than a breakdown. Now with that being said, had I done a breakdown. I would have included salary structure and the whole thing. Seeing as this was just to get some names out there I didn't do that.