3 teams in top 5 need QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I realize there's one game left, but the projected top 5 picks right now have 3 teams with a QB need in Cleveland, Dallas, and SF.

From where I'm sitting that means if the Rams are finally serious enough about the position to do something about it in this draft, they're probably going to have to move way up to 1 overall. I mean, if you are going to give up a lot for a guy who might not work out, you might as well get the QB that you think has the best chance.

As to the top pick, it's Cleveland vs Tennessee since both play teams that require that last game to get into the playoffs. I don't see both winning. Cleveland is in Pittsburgh with Davis at QB so they're probably gonna finish with 3 wins. Tennessee is in Indianapolis so chances are they'll lose, however of the two an upset is more likely for them.

IF Cleveland gets the top pick they will take Goff, or at the least QB be it him or Lynch. So IMO best option for the Rams moving up if they are so inclined is a Tennessee loss on Sunday.

FRO

Legend
I'm not sure. At this time in 2014 we all assumed Bridgewater would be the top pick in the draft. There is a ton of time until the draft and a lot will change.

As far as trading up, rarely does it work out. It can at times, but if you look to 2012, Tannehill and Wilson were had in the same draft that the Redskins traded everything to get RGIII. In 2014 the Browns traded up for Manziel and passed Bridgewater and Carr. Sometimes it's best to let the draft come to you. If a reasonable deal can be made, then make it, if not then don't force the issue.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm not sure. At this time in 2014 we all assumed Bridgewater would be the top pick in the draft. There is a ton of time until the draft and a lot will change.

As far as trading up, rarely does it work out. It can at times, but if you look to 2012, Tannehill and Wilson were had in the same draft that the Redskins traded everything to get RGIII. In 2014 the Browns traded up for Manziel and passed Bridgewater and Carr. Sometimes it's best to let the draft come to you. If a reasonable deal can be made, then make it, if not then don't force the issue.

I agree with both of you.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'd love to see the Rams make a play for a QB in the draft - but free agency seems likely to fill at least a few teams QB needs.

Someone is going to give RGIII a spin, for instance.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Until you let the draft come to you, realize that all the QBs just went, and you're left with nothing.

Trading up works out plenty. And when it doesn't, it rarely is because the team traded up. It almost always is because the team selected the wrong player.

I have no doubt a lot will change. Which is why I'm not putting a ton of credence into the people saying we can't get Goff at this point in time. But barring something completely unforeseen, I doubt my stance on Goff changes. The Rams need to get him.

FRO

Legend
Until you let the draft come to you, realize that all the QBs just went, and you're left with nothing.

Trading up works out plenty. And when it doesn't, it rarely is because the team traded up. It almost always is because the team selected the wrong player.

I have no doubt a lot will change. Which is why I'm not putting a ton of credence into the people saying we can't get Goff at this point in time. But barring something completely unforeseen, I doubt my stance on Goff changes. The Rams need to get him.
Trading from late teens to top 5 might be impossible, or super costly. Not many teams picking early are going to drop from top 5 to lower teens without a huge payout. Under further review I'm not sure how much I want to give up for Goff or Lynch. Maybe staying put for Wentz or Cook might be the better option. If we move up to get a QB we limit our ability to improve the WR position that is very poor in and of itself.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trading from late teens to top 5 might be impossible, or super costly. Not many teams picking early are going to drop from top 5 to lower teens without a huge payout. Under further review I'm not sure how much I want to give up for Goff or Lynch. Maybe staying put for Wentz or Cook might be the better option. If we move up to get a QB we limit our ability to improve the WR position that is very poor in and of itself.

Not really. We'll have an opportunity in FA. And through trades in addition to the draft. What we really limit is our ability to upgrade on Cook.

But yes, make the huge payout.

FRO

Legend
Not really. We'll have an opportunity in FA. And through trades in addition to the draft. What we really limit is our ability to upgrade on Cook.

But yes, make the huge payout.

That's where we disagree. To me I would trade up, but I'm not going huge payout. I think we would be better off with Cook or Wentz and picks than Goff or Lynch.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's where we disagree. To me I would trade up, but I'm not going huge payout. I think we would be better off with Cook or Wentz and picks than Goff or Lynch.

Pay what it takes to get Goff.

Athos

Legend

Nope. Be surprised what a quality QB can do, with a, hopefully, improving young o-line.

FRO

Legend
Here is my thing Dalton and Carr were both early second round picks. Both had/have flaws coming out. What their teams did was surround them with top flight talent. They invested early draft picks to surround their QBs. I think the best approach might be to get a Wentz or Cook and just invest with draft picks. The free agent market looks weak receiver wise. Maybe you can pick up a guy in a salary dump.

I like Goff as much if not more than the next guy. I think he goes top 5. For the Redskins to trade from 6 to 2 it cost way too much. To go late teens to top five is going to be about as pricy. I would be willing to give my first this year and next along with both seconds this year. I'm just not sure that will get it done.

FRO

Legend
I did see a mock today where Goff dropped to us in the first round. I'm hoping a Bridgewater type thing happens to Goff.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here is my thing Dalton and Carr were both early second round picks. Both had/have flaws coming out. What their teams did was surround them with top flight talent. They invested early draft picks to surround their QBs. I think the best approach might be to get a Wentz or Cook and just invest with draft picks. The free agent market looks weak receiver wise. Maybe you can pick up a guy in a salary dump.

I like Goff as much if not more than the next guy. I think he goes top 5. For the Redskins to trade from 6 to 2 it cost way too much. To go late teens to top five is going to be about as pricy. I would be willing to give my first this year and next along with both seconds this year. I'm just not sure that will get it done.

That also worked because both those QBs outplayed their draft slots.

If we take Cook or Wentz, I'll be fine. Although, we'll have to see how pro ready Wentz is as the Senior Bowl.

But I think Goff is the next great QB. I'd pay what it takes to get him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

What's funny is Bridgewater is probably the best QB from that draft too. Bortles still has more upside and is looking good but still gonna have to wait and see there. IMO there's a lot of danger in changing boards due to the combine and offseason workouts at the QB position. It's one of those positions where you just cannot encapsulate what they do in a workout or quantify it easily.

I'd love nothing more than for Goff to fall in perceived value. But it won't matter because with the amount of bad teams that need QB he won't fall that far. You just can't screw around with QBs because even teams that have one will take them end of the first round if they're smart. Supply and demand has to be considered and I am pretty sure that Fish is gonna be all over that, given he has a team with most other positions covered.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What's funny is Bridgewater is probably the best QB from that draft too. Bortles still has more upside and is looking good but still gonna have to wait and see there. IMO there's a lot of danger in changing boards due to the combine and offseason workouts at the QB position. It's one of those positions where you just cannot encapsulate what they do in a workout or quantify it easily.

I'd love nothing more than for Goff to fall in perceived value. But it won't matter because with the amount of bad teams that need QB he won't fall that far. You just can't screw around with QBs because even teams that have one will take them end of the first round if they're smart. Supply and demand has to be considered and I am pretty sure that Fish is gonna be all over that, given he has a team with most other positions covered.

Eh, disagree. I think Teddy is going to be really good. And it wouldn't surprise me if he has a strong playoff run this year. But Bortles and Carr outplayed him this year. Teddy was playing mediocre football until the last 3 weeks.

I'd also love for Goff to fall. And it's certainly possible. Teddy got knocked for having a thin frame, small hands, and a non-elite arm. Goff might be knocked for two of the three or all three.(and his offensive system)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Pay what it takes to get Goff.

Not sure the Rams will be able to do this, but I concur because if not Goff, IMO, then I would go with Carson Wentz and he will need to sit a year most likely. Goff could start from day one and I have my doubts about Connor Cook as well.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Gee. I'd say that both Carr and Bortles have outplayed Bridgewater. And I wonder if Garoppolo might do the same if given the opportunity.

Athos

Legend
We WILL have an opportunity to get a QB be it Goff with a trade, Lynch, Cook, or Wentz.

I just pray someone in Rams Park tells the damn jokers in charge to draft one of them.

This draft should again be about offensive guys.

I wouldn't be pissed if Cook fell to us or we settle for Wentz. Then we get Henry and Boyd and call it a day.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hackenberg has a chance to make this QB thing interesting in about :30 mins....I'm expecting a great game from him....

New leaders in my personal QB derby....
Goff, Cook, Hogan, Lynch, .....and I did like what that Bama QB did....AJ McCarron has me looking at him a lil differently.

Stel

Starter
I realize there's one game left, but the projected top 5 picks right now have 3 teams with a QB need in Cleveland, Dallas, and SF.

Just because they need a QB doesn't mean they take on. There are some very good non-QB prospects in this draft and many teams need those positions, too. The only team I don't think will pass on a QB ins SF. Cleveland may give Manziel another shot, or wait until the second round. They have other needs that could be in play high (like a DE who can get to the QB). Dallas may also wait for a QB because I don't think Romo will be going anywhere. Out of the teams selecting before SF, I think we have more to worry about from other teams trading up than those teams taking a QB.