3-4 defensive looks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
DE- Langford
NT- Brockers
DE- Donald
OLB- Quinn
ILB- Laurinaitis
ILB- Ogletree
OLB- Long

Carrington can also play 3-4 DE. I definitely see some potential to use this look quite a bit. I think we should be a aggressive defense that changes looks. We definitely have the resources to do so.

V3

Hall of Fame
Didn't Carrington play best when he was used as a 4-3 DT, though? I'm fine with trying it but it's up to Williams. I know he's known for being creative and flexible but does he ever employ the 3-4? It'd be interesting to see how well it'd work with this group.

Wonderboy

Rookie
I like where your head is at! This defense could give all kinds of crazy looks and send people from everywhere. You haven't even mentioned blitzes from the secondary yet!

SierraRam

Recreational User
That leaves 4 db's on passing downs - Long or Quinn on a TE or RB? No bueno.

Interesting option, but I'd prefer to see what the 'Fantastic 4' does first before we tinker.

scifiman

Interesting option, but I'd prefer to see what the 'Fantastic 4' does first before we tinker.
Dont you have 4 db's (2 safeties, 2 cb's) on just about every down? Am I missing something?

SierraRam

Recreational User
Dont you have 4 db's (2 safeties, 2 cb's) on just about every down? Am I missing something?

We usually have 5 on passing downs... But my point was I don't think we want Quinn and Long forced into coverage. But if we want to experiment with different looks, I trust our coaches and talent on D to make it work...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I prefer 425 myself IMO. The addition of these new rookie secondary predators like Reid-Joyner-Alexander coming in from places unknown!

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I prefer 425 myself IMO. The addition of these new rookie secondary predators like Reid-Joyner-Alexander coming in from places unknown!
I was wondering about that myself. That would be one way to effectively work McDonald in with two free safeties against some teams, right?

Williams has run 3-4 and he most definitely likes mixing things up. No doubt he'll be creative, but there's also something to be said for keeping it simple.

On our defensive line, I feel we have the experience to do just about anything. The exciting thing for me is how this plays out for our secondary.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Te 52 defense is where its at my fellow Rammies.
Quinn
Hayes
Brockers
Donald
Long

w/Ogletree and JL

and JJ,Tru,Joyner and TJMac
giphy.gif

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I was wondering about that myself. That would be one way to effectively work McDonald in with two free safeties against some teams, right?....... The exciting thing for me is how this plays out for our secondary.

I said it earlier that he has two serious blitzing DB's in Joyner & Alexander now. I would not be surprised if by the end of the season we see all kinds of defenders mixing it up & where we see TJ McDonald playing deeper and the rookie Alexander playing close as our starting safeties. But Joyner who will be the Nickle has shown to be mightily effective in getting to the QB when he is on the field up close. Don't forget about OLB 'ers Ray Armstrong's ability to flash the blitz too.

fearsomefour

Legend

In that look I would switch Olgetree to OLB for the reason you stated. I would expect to see some different looks but hopefully not too much. The idea of taking Quinn and dropping him into coverage does not excite me.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
Gregg Williams has deployed the 3-4 before, but only as a changeup. He did it in New Orleans against Peyton Manning in the Superbowl. In the 2nd half he switched to a 3-4 in the 3rd quarter and then again mixed it up in the 4th.

I have no idea how well Quinn and Long would be in a 3-4 OLB position, but I would assume that Williams can make it work.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
It's not a new concept. The Rams have run a bit of 3-4 in camp the last few years. More to prep and gauge the Oline than anything else. tho it always seemed to morph in to just into another drill. But if you don't think Long and Quinn can play standing up you're selling there athletic ability short.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
It's not a new concept. The Rams have run a bit of 3-4 in camp the last few years. More to prep and gauge the Oline than anything else. tho it always seemed to morph in to just into another drill. But if you don't think Long and Quinn can play standing up you're selling there athletic ability short.

To be honest I simply have no idea how they would do in a 3-4, but it would be less about their athletic ability and more about my lack of knowledge about the differences in a 4-3 DE and a 3-4 OLB

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

Its not that Long and Quinn aren't excellent athletes - because they are. Its that you still wouldn't want them to get caught in coverage against a really shifty tight end or running back (coverage skills aren't learned in a day no matter how athletic you are) and that you're taking away from their greatest strength - rushing the passer. It might be interesting to see it for a change up - but only for a changeup.

mimontero

UDFA
This team simply does not have the pieces for the 3-4. They may be able to show a look now and then but it isn't something I would prioritize as the concepts are entirely different for the front seven from the 4-3 to the 3-4. Brockers kind of becomes the nose tackle by default but can he really occupy two blockers on a consistent basis? That's something he would have to show. Long played in the 3-4 in college but as a defensive end. In fact, in a 3-4, Long fits much better as a defensive end than as a rush linebacker. Is Long or Quinn a guy you can trust to back into coverage when needed? I don't know. Simply put, I don't think it is worth showing a look for the sake of showing a look if you don't have the personnel to properly execute it and I'm far from convinced that we do.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
The 3-4 ILBs (Ogletree, Laurinaitis) are the coverage linebackers more often than not. Quinn and Long wouldn't have to cover too much in these looks, because they'd likely be pass rushers majority of the time.. Of course, they might get a few plays where they do have to cover, but that's not much different than zone blitzes, where guys like Quinn and Long and Brockers are called to cover fairly often. Brockers in particular I've noticed in coverage.

Our guys can do it. Quinn would make a fantastic 3-4 OLB, honestly. And it's not like it's full time. Just to throw some confusing looks and use our team's versatility. I think we could actually be a great full time 3-4 team if we wanted to. But we're an elite 4-3.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
To be honest I simply have no idea how they would do in a 3-4, but it would be less about their athletic ability and more about my lack of knowledge about the differences in a 4-3 DE and a 3-4 OLB
I'm not sure either. But Long and Quinn were rated kinda high as LB's coming out of college. Long as a Ilb. If the Rams had passed on them they could have ended up in a 3-4 later in the round. They have dropped into coverage many times, more so under Spags. Brockers and Langord as DE's. It's DE's that make the 3-4 work. Donald at NT just to make them account for his pass rush.
But in reality they showed a lot of 3-4 fronts last year. As in 3 down lineman and JL and Oglethorpe with a couple DB's filling in.
Williams is just going to use the 3-4 in blitz packages. And with Williams anything is possible.