3-4 defensive looks

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Its not that Long and Quinn aren't excellent athletes - because they are. Its that you still wouldn't want them to get caught in coverage against a really shifty tight end or running back (coverage skills aren't learned in a day no matter how athletic you are) and that you're taking away from their greatest strength - rushing the passer. It might be interesting to see it for a change up - but only for a changeup.
Can they be any worse than Dunbar. And even last year less than under Spags tho. they do drop into coverage.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
With all due respect Fro, why mess with success? The little bit you may accomplish by switching it up for a series or two, as I think you are suggesting, would be so minimal, especially compared to the preparation time needed to learn all the different techniques. There are enough teams already playing a base 3-4, that teams know how to attack it, how to block it, and the preparation time that would be needed for your defensive players takes away from what you are trying to do with your base defense.

You can accomplish the same concept by just varying the line calls out of the base 4-3.

And if you may have noticed, there were plenty of instances in the past 2 years, where they went to a "sub" package called the "30-nickel", which is 3 down linemen, 3 LBS and 5 DBs.

They have also started to incorporate some 5 man fronts in 3rd and short situations. Where they stay with 3 LBs and lost a DB depending on the Offensive Personal packages they are facing.

My take on staying with the Base 4-3, is simple. Just be as good as you can be with the people you have and if you execute and play mistake free football, it shouldn't matter what formation you are in!

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
With the amount of pressure we get with a 4 man front, I'd rather take away the ability of the offense to force Long/Quinn to drop into coverage and just play a straight up 4-3.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
With all due respect Fro, why mess with success? The little bit you may accomplish by switching it up for a series or two, as I think you are suggesting, would be so minimal, especially compared to the preparation time needed to learn all the different techniques. There are enough teams already playing a base 3-4, that teams know how to attack it, how to block it, and the preparation time that would be needed for your defensive players takes away from what you are trying to do with your base defense.

You can accomplish the same concept by just varying the line calls out of the base 4-3.

And if you may have noticed, there were plenty of instances in the past 2 years, where they went to a "sub" package called the "30-nickel", which is 3 down linemen, 3 LBS and 5 DBs.

They have also started to incorporate some 5 man fronts in 3rd and short situations. Where they stay with 3 LBs and lost a DB depending on the Offensive Personal packages they are facing.

My take on staying with the Base 4-3, is simple. Just be as good as you can be with the people you have and if you execute and play mistake free football, it shouldn't matter what formation you are in!
I'm not even saying a series or two. I'm saying a play or two. Show offenses different looks. Have an offensive defense. It was just a thought I had float in my mind to bring up a football conversation when there isn't much going on. I thought our defense under performed last year. I place a ton of that blame on Walton and I feel that Williams will be creative and get this defense attacking and creating instead of waiting and reacting.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Te 52 defense is where its at my fellow Rammies.
Quinn
Hayes
Brockers
Donald
Long

w/Ogletree and JL

and JJ,Tru,Joyner and TJMac
giphy.gif

Awesome! This sould play on the Big Screen at the ED on every 3rd down.

scifiman

I dont know that you have to get too fancy one way or the other with the dl we may have. It has all the potential to allow the defense to constantly put pressure on the qb with 4 guys. This would make life much easier on defense having 7 guys in coverage. But if you want to really create havoc then rush 6. The other team does not have a chance.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
With all the DB's we just drafted, I have to wonder if Williams is gonna break out the 3-3-5 nickel again.