2019 Offense: To do list......

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
We need to be able to be more flexible in our personal groupings. Need to be able to present a different look.
Clearly in my opinion we need to add an in line blocking TE that can also catch the ball to give us a 2 TE look. The key is we can run and pass equally out of this formation.
Keep CJ Anderson or find another good fat RB, which will allow us to keep TG3 fresh.
Also I want McVay to mix in his 3 TE stuff he used in DC.

I still think we can upgrade our ROG. Need someone will a little more size/weight. Allow Goff to step up better in the pocket and run more effectively to the right.

I still want to see some of that old Gibbs 2TE Offense, then flip back into 3 WR personal we do so well. Need a change of pace if you will.

Just my 2 cents fellas

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I disagree. The offense with kupp was unstoppable. Goff will get better. Gurley will get healthy.

Mcvay will have all off-season to work out how to attack these schemes that got the better of him and Goff.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I think the biggest thing needed is McVay working on a counter to what the Patriots and Bears defenses did against our ZBS this year to make sure that can't happen again. Every team that faces us next year is going to watch replays of those two games to try to figure out how to stop us.

Second - get the TE's more involved, particularly the athletic Everett. Not just to diversify the offense, but to give us more options in case the unthinkable happens and we lose one of our top 3 WR's.

Related to the previous paragraph, I think McVay needs to add some dink and dunk to the offense. It doesn't sound exciting, and it's not how I would want to run the offense all the time, but sometimes when the chunk plays aren't there that's what you have to do. Plus, it helps establish some offensive rhythm, and if you do it long enough, the opposing D is going to have to react and then some chunk plays will be there.

On OL, I think we need to keep Saffold and get younger at C. Other than that, I wouldn't change anything. Blythe had a bad game, yes, but so did the other OLinemen, but they individually and as a unit had a great season.

Last edited:

LFMako

UDFA
Name
Sandy
Offseason priorities…Offense

Offensive Coordinator… I love Sean, wouldn’t trade him for any other coach in the NFL. But he has a lot of other responsibilities. OC would take everything from Run and Pass coordinators, from Sean and keep a bigger picture. Someone who’d be able to spend more time on preparing and giving Sean a better perspective in the tough games. Someone who’d be able to get in Sean’s ear, and advocate for attacking what we are seeing rather than what we prepared for.

Lines, lines, lines… Our O line was owned, whether that was scheme, talent, gameplan. It needs to be fixed- Noteboom looks like a puzzle piece, not sure on Allen, Blythe - no.

TE that commands respect. Hoping Everett needed one more year..not so sure. Higbee – solid role player- but will never command respect.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I think the biggest thing needed is McVay working on a counter to what the Patriots and Bears defenses did against our ZBS this year to make sure that can't happen again. Every team that faces us next year is going to watch replays of those two games to try to figure out how to stop us.

Second - get the TE's more involved, particularly the athletic Everett. Not just to diversify the offense, but to give us more options in case the unthinkable happens and we lose one of our top 3 WR's.

Related to the previous paragraph, I think McVay needs to add some dink and dunk to the offense. It doesn't sound exciting, and it's not how I would want to run the offense all the time, but sometimes when the chunk plays aren't there, that's what you have to do. Plus, it helps establish some offensive rhythm, and if you do it long enough, the opposing D is going to have to react and then some chunk plays will be there.

On OL, I think we need to keep Saffold and get younger at C. Other than that, I wouldn't change anything. Blythe had a bad game, yes, but so did the other OLinemen, but they individually and as a unit had a great season.

it's funny, I totally called it before the SB that the Pats were going to run the same defense that the Lions and Bears did against us. I'm surprised he didn't have a better gameplan in lieu of probably knowing that in the back of his mind. And you're correct, teams will hone in on that and study us in the offseason. Right now we're the team to beat, along with the Saints, KC, and NE. Teams are going to study film on these 3 or 4 high powered offenses and figure out ways to slow them/us down. Getting back to us, think about it like this. the Vikings did the same thing to us last year, gave our offense lots of problems presnap, well Mcvay learned from it and handled them this year with authority, and you might say so did a lot of other teams. But I am almost certain those other teams studied the hell out of Minnesota in their offseasons and came up with ways to beat them, and for the most part it worked! The Rams have to be very careful this offseason to make sure the same thing doesn't happen to us. I believe McVay is too smart to let that happen but he's also young and naive, so hopefully he doesn't fall into that trap.

I do agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of our TE usage. It's a headscratcher, I thought for sure we would have utilized our TE's more in the SB than what we did. I don't even think we targeted one the entire game. I mean it is a possibility that they were never open or maybe Jared had a better target in mind but those guys are supposed to be your outlet when no one else is open. And I just don't see that out of our offense. Occasionally I do but not often enough, and we have to fix that. Furthermore, I know McVay likes to use the TE he had a great one in Washington which he obviously doesn't have here. I think next year Everett will be healthy in the offseason which will be huge. The guy missed all of the beginning of last year and didn't play in a handful of games and he still impressed when given the chance. Hopefully he takes the next big step.

As far as game-planning, McVay does deploy the dink and dunk at times. Rewatch the Seattles games this year. We had a ton of 3 to 5 yard quick passes. That's how we attacked them, and it worked beautifully. I do agree that he does get carried away with the deepball or the 15+ yarders. I think this year you'll see some maturing from our offense and scheme and it will be more fine tuned. I don't really want to see our team give up on a game plan too quickly but I think he does need to adjust faster when things aren't going our way, or when the opposing team is exploiting us.

Oline, we need to get younger. I don't know if Whitworth will be back. That man looked destroyed after the NE game. He even said himself he has to think about it. He's 37 years old, and when it he goes, he's going to go very quickly and I dunno about you, but I don't want to have to rely on a guy midseason that hasn't at least shown the coaching staff his tendencies on film or in a live game.
I would love Whitworth to remain on the rams staff as a coach if he decides to retire. The man can teach, and everyone listens to him in the room. I just wish he was 10 years younger and a ram for life. He's a true icon.

One last thing i want to add. Everyone wants to keep CJ on our team. But i think you guys are forgetting how good Malcom Brown was when he was healthy. We didn't miss a beat. I'm not saying to not make CJ an offer but if we lose him to FA don't fret, we have some capable backups.

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Great post.

The Rams have to be very careful this offseason to make sure the same thing doesn't happen to us. I believe McVay is too smart to let that happen but he's also young and naive, so hopefully he doesn't fall into that trap.

I have a feeling McVay is going to absolutely OBSESS over what happened in the SB and will do everything he can to develop a counter to what they did. The fact that he flat out admitted he was outcoached was a great sign, and totally un-Martz like. He's probably in the film room as I type this.

As far as game-planning, McVay does deploy the dink and dunk at times. Rewatch the Seattles games this year. We had a ton of 3 to 5 yard quick passes. That's how we attacked them, and it worked beautifully. I do agree that he does get carried away with the deepball or the 15+ yarders.

I'll have to take you up on re-watching those games, and maybe it's a function of Goff wanting the big play rather than the sure play. In the SB, I think some short passes early just to get them in a rhythm, something akin to the original WCO, would have helped greatly and would have given the offense confidence.

I do agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of our TE usage. It's a headscratcher, I thought for sure we would have utilized our TE's more in the SB than what we did. I don't even think we targeted one the entire game. I mean it is a possibility that they were never open or maybe Jared had a better target in mind but those guys are supposed to be your outlet when no one else is open. And I just don't see that out of our offense. Occasionally I do but not often enough, and we have to fix that. Furthermore, I know McVay likes to use the TE he had a great one in Washington which he obviously doesn't have here. I think next year Everett will be healthy in the offseason which will be huge. The guy missed all of the beginning of last year and didn't play in a handful of games and he still impressed when given the chance. Hopefully he takes the next big step.

I think we targeted Everett once, but it wasn't until well into the 3rd quarter. But yes, we need to use him and TE's in general more. One good thing is that both Everett and Higbee have shown year-to-year improvements since McVay arrived. I think Higbee might be near his ceiling, which is as an average TE than can block ok and can make a play once in a while. Everett is the more dynamic player and I don't think he's fully reached his potential yet. I'm hoping for another big year-over-year leap for him going into next season.

Oline, we need to get younger. I don't know if Whitworth will be back. That man looked destroyed after the NE game. He even said himself he has to think about it. He's 37 years old, and when it he goes, he's going to go very quickly and I dunno about you, but I don't want to have to rely on a guy midseason that hasn't at least shown the coaching staff his tendencies on film or in a live game.
I would love Whitworth to remain on the rams staff as a coach if he decides to retire. The man can teach, and everyone listens to him in the room. I just wish he was 10 years younger and a ram for life. He's a true icon.

Yes, you are right here, and I too am nervous about Whit going forward. I do feel confident that Noteboom can be a good replacement, and it helps that he got a year under Whitworth to learn. If Whitworth does retire, the Rams should offer him a place on the staff just to be Noteboom's personal coach and to help him adjust to being the starter.

Overall, I think most of the personnel questions for our O going into 2019 are either OL and backup RB. But the other big need - biggest IMO - is that McVay needs to hit the drawing board to keep ahead of what NFL defenses are doing and develop more game-day counterpunches in his repertoire.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ya agreed the OL depth needs to continue to improve. And Im not so sure Everett is the playmaker at TE. Great input by all you fellas

Rainram

Starter
I like John Kelly with a year under his belt!

If Whit stays, I’m good with it. But I also like what I’ve seen from Noteboom. That’s good.

Sully has to be done. And backup OG should be a priority too. I’m not as down on Blythe as most seem to be, but I’d bring in a OG that can compete with him and give us insurance for Saffold who I would extend on a 2-3 year deal.

TE...who knows. I can’t figure this one out. Everett isn’t good enough of an in-line blocker. Higbee isn’t a great receiving weapon. We already have a ton invested into WRs and RB, I just don’t know how much we can afford to allocate to TE and there isn’t a Gronkowski-clone we can nab in the draft. I think we might be stuck with Everett and Higbee another year. I don’t hate that because they both do have something to offer, but with the 11 personnel we run and our OLine scheme, that makes our TE useage predictably underwhelming. I don’t know what the answer here is.

Now...I’m gonna go contemplate our defense.........that’s a different beast.....

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
The D will be retooled just because the Cap hits that are pending. On O, I'd really like to see a shifty RB that excels as a pass catcher. That with Kupp back next year will elevate the O and provide another outlet for Goff. Gurley needs a little space to do his thing. A guy that could create on his own 1 on 1 would be amazing. Similar to Kamara, White or Chris Thompson is what I have in mind.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I'll tackle Defense...

Dline:
Obviously AD and Brokers stays.

Fowler
I'd like to keep him. He played pretty damn well esp towards the end of the year. I think he'll come at a decent price and I don't think teams will overpay to keep him. Plus if he really wants to be on a real contenders team then he should stay put.

Samson Eko
Back up player. Plain and simple. I love the kid, He has tons of heart but I didn't see anything outside of the KC game to show that he should be a starting OLB on the QB's blind side. In theory the ROLB should be the best pass rusher on your team. He's our worst. Bummer to say because he plays damn hard on every down. I'd keep him but as a backup rotational role. He has lots of experience and isn't a huge liability.

Longacre
Next!!!! Slow and clumsy. Not a fit at OLB.

Suh
I don't know...If he signs a 3 year TEAM FRIENDLY deal I'd take a long hard look at him. My only concern is his wear and tear. Sure he played lights out during the playoffs. However, he didn't play that well during the regular season. I don't really blame him for playing softer during the season because of his age but we need players that give 100% every down. Again he would be a great rotational player, but he has to be paid like one.

Westbrooks
Did he even play this year? decent rotation. Worth looking for an upgrade that maybe fits better in Wades system.

Oko,
Not really sure, the guy hasn't played at all. Not sure why we're holding on to a 6th round draft pick like he's going to light the world on fire. Maybe wait and see what he has next year?

ILBs

Hagar,
Good rotational player. I suspect that he could actually start next to Littleton and do a decent job. I'd still like to see him get a shot at playing there.

Littleton,
I think he's better suited to play in Barrons role. But a decent to good player. Good pickup and great ST player.

Barron,
I don't know what happened to him. he played better down the stretch but his salary hit next season isn't worth it IMO. I think he either takes a huge pay cut or cut him.

Ramick Wilson,
Good rotational player / backup. Keep him.

CBs

Talib,
Keep him for the right price. The guy still has it. But i would only bring him back on a 2 or 3 year contract. Hopefully he doesn't cost too much and it's not a front loaded contract.

Peters,
Im confused on him. Does he have another year here? or is he a FA? Either way, I'd say cut bait with him if he's an FA. The guy is a head case and played as one of the worst CB's in the league.

Hill,
I think he's better than people give him credit for. But not a starter. Decent backup.

NRC
Baller

Johnson
Baller

Joyner,
Had such high hopes for this guy. Last year he balled out and was one of the best Fs's in the league. I don't know what the F happened to this guy. Lack of focus? Maybe he just doesn't care because we didn't give him his big fat contract? Well I have to say it looks like the rams FO made the right choice. Next up.

IMO, it's pretty obvious in the areas we need to hit in either FA or the Draft. We have to be careful not to overpay some of these older players. It could really bite us in the ass.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I'll tackle Defense...

Dline:
Obviously AD and Brokers stays.

Fowler
I'd like to keep him. He played pretty damn well esp towards the end of the year. I think he'll come at a decent price and I don't think teams will overpay to keep him. Plus if he really wants to be on a real contenders team then he should stay put.

Samson Eko
Back up player. Plain and simple. I love the kid, He has tons of heart but I didn't see anything outside of the KC game to show that he should be a starting OLB on the QB's blind side. In theory the ROLB should be the best pass rusher on your team. He's our worst. Bummer to say because he plays damn hard on every down. I'd keep him but as a backup rotational role. He has lots of experience and isn't a huge liability.

Longacre
Next!!!! Slow and clumsy. Not a fit at OLB.

Suh
I don't know...If he signs a 3 year TEAM FRIENDLY deal I'd take a long hard look at him. My only concern is his wear and tear. Sure he played lights out during the playoffs. However, he didn't play that well during the regular season. I don't really blame him for playing softer during the season because of his age but we need players that give 100% every down. Again he would be a great rotational player, but he has to be paid like one.

Westbrooks
Did he even play this year? decent rotation. Worth looking for an upgrade that maybe fits better in Wades system.

Oko,
Not really sure, the guy hasn't played at all. Not sure why we're holding on to a 6th round draft pick like he's going to light the world on fire. Maybe wait and see what he has next year?

ILBs

Hagar,
Good rotational player. I suspect that he could actually start next to Littleton and do a decent job. I'd still like to see him get a shot at playing there.

Littleton,
I think he's better suited to play in Barrons role. But a decent to good player. Good pickup and great ST player.

Barron,
I don't know what happened to him. he played better down the stretch but his salary hit next season isn't worth it IMO. I think he either takes a huge pay cut or cut him.

Ramick Wilson,
Good rotational player / backup. Keep him.

CBs

Talib,
Keep him for the right price. The guy still has it. But i would only bring him back on a 2 or 3 year contract. Hopefully he doesn't cost too much and it's not a front loaded contract.

Peters,
Im confused on him. Does he have another year here? or is he a FA? Either way, I'd say cut bait with him if he's an FA. The guy is a head case and played as one of the worst CB's in the league.

Hill,
I think he's better than people give him credit for. But not a starter. Decent backup.

NRC
Baller

Johnson
Baller

Joyner,
Had such high hopes for this guy. Last year he balled out and was one of the best Fs's in the league. I don't know what the F happened to this guy. Lack of focus? Maybe he just doesn't care because we didn't give him his big fat contract? Well I have to say it looks like the rams FO made the right choice. Next up.

IMO, it's pretty obvious in the areas we need to hit in either FA or the Draft. We have to be careful not to overpay some of these older players. It could really bite us in the ass.
I'm 98% certain that Talib is still under contract for one more year. No need to renegotiate impress they want to keep him longer and move him to safety.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
And Im not so sure Everett is the playmaker at TE.
I think it's very clear that Everett is a #1 TE on the verge. He hasn't been given many opportunities playing behind Higs and a TE group that is third fiddle behind the WR's and RB's in terms of offensive focus. Whenever #81 gets the ball he's made good things happen. IMO he's a big play guy who just needs touches.

I see it. Good hands, aggressive, speed, power, YAC. I'd be willing to bet that Higs will be playing behind Everett next season.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Peters

He has one more year on his deal. I think you have to separate the part of the season without Talib (and where he was playing through some injuries) with the parts with Talib. He was rated much higher with Talib in the lineup, was very good in the playoffs, and lights out in the Super Bowl. Let's see how he does next year.

Talib,

I think he still has one year left on his deal. He's a guy I might consider moving to S to replace Joyner, depending on whether we can get an adequate replacement at CB.

Oko,

We're holding on because 6th round pick has a 6th round salary, and he has potential. He was hurt this year early and never made it on the field. Let's give him a full training camp as a healthy player and see what he can do. Maybe he can replace Ebukam if we keep Fowler.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I think it's very clear that Everett is a #1 TE on the verge. He hasn't been given many opportunities playing behind Higs and a TE group that is third fiddle behind the WR's and RB's in terms of offensive focus. Whenever #81 gets the ball he's made good things happen. IMO he's a big play guy who just needs touches.

I see it. Good hands, aggressive, speed, power, YAC. I'd be willing to bet that Higs will be playing behind Everett next season.

I'm with you. Lots of people are down on Everett in this thread it seems. I think he is improving every year and well on his way to being a legit #1 TE in this league. Every time he gets the ball he makes plays - it is perplexing why they don't use him more. He also provides an element that we lack at WR and is very important to have on your roster - a big, strong receiving target that is aggressive and really fights for the football. Just look at the way he came back to the football for his big play against New Orleans in the NFCC before proceeding to get huge yards after the catch. At a time when we needed a big play badly. Crucial moment. Big game. Everett delivered.

He can even be used as a downfield target as well to great effect as his highlights indicate, in case anyone needs a refresher:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGMB1kB4y38

And who could forget his clutch TD grab and superb balance vs. Kansas City to win that shootout in what was a huge game at the time with both squads 9-1 and trying to prove who was top dog:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uss8rOGeBc41

Everett needs more targets next year. McVay is supposed to be good at utilizing TEs. So when he invested high draft capital in Everett, I was excited of what was to come. So far, McVay has disappointed in how he has used Everett in my opinion, despite flashes. Our passing plays sure weren't working in the Super Bowl. Throwing a few balls Everett's way to switch things up sure would have been nice to see...

EDIT - Although less dynamic, Higbee has been improving yearly too, and is both a competent blocking and receiving option. I quite like our TEs, and they are currently had at quite an economical price, so I wouldn't be looking to change much with this unit, especially when both seem to be growing every year. You can't have superstars at every position with a salary cap. It's up to McVay to maximize what we have at the position, because it should be more than enough to compliment our other offensive weapons well where we have bigger money invested.

Last edited:

dang

Legend
The key to this offense is the OL. Must resign Saffold and ensure Whit comes back for one more year or OL is in complete rebuild mode. When the OL dominates - the Offense rolls. When it struggles - Goff under constant pressure (Chicago, NE) is their kryptonite. Although having Kupp back as a safety valve and Gurley at 100% will be a tremendous boost.

How about Blythe to OC and Noteboom or quality FA to ROG? Sullivan is smart and solid but we need improvement at that position. I don't think the Rams can afford CJ Anderson unless Gurley is truly injured. I think it obvious that using Brown more will be required to reduce the wear and tear on Gurley.

McVay has to figure out what he is doing with Everett. He is much too athletic to be used so inconsistently. He also needs to go back to the drawing board on how to respond to DL stunts, blitzes and Edge pressure. He and Goff got caught with their pants down in both the Chicago and NE games when their defenses brought the house.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
You guys know what this team really needs?
A bunch of draft picks for Les Sneed to work with.
I want to get back to drafting and growing this for long term success.
Go get us some more Gurleys, Donalds, Kupps, JJ3s,....

Ellard80

Legend
McVay is going to have to go back to the Lab offensively... I have faith in him.

But our offense was not the explosive unit it was the 1st half of the season.

Scoring 3 pts in the Super Bowl pretty much makes it clear to me that some new schemes are in order.

fearsomefour

Legend
The OL needs more depth, not just to develop depth, but for the future of an aging line.
Noteboom and Allen seem promising.
I would draft two OL, a mid round and a later round and maybe pursue a low cost FA to team with Noteboom, Allen, Demby and the other young OL guys.
For an in line blocking TE I might take a flyer on a small school LT that lacks the size to play OL in the pros.
I think both Everett and Higby developed well this year. Higbey was often given backside blocking responsibilities in the play action game (as the line shifted). I was really happy with his progress as a blocker.
Everett looked lost a year ago and developed some play making ability.
The TEs seemed to be forgotten by McVay at times. I don't know if they was because of the defenses they were playing he just liked other receiving options.
Back up QB. The Rams won't use (and shouldn't) a high draft pick on one and won't (and shouldn't) spend a lot of FA money on one. So, likely Mannion stays. But, I would still try to find a cheap vet FA and draft a late rounder.
I like our RB depth and WR depth.
KR will be interesting to see if something else is tried or if Natson sticks as the last WR on the roster.
Would be nice to get more out of that spot.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
2019 Offense We need to too list......
Okay...In February & March sign the below:

#1 priority in Free Agency offer 30 yr old OLG Rodger Saffold a 5 yr contract @ total $38 mil.
RFA RB Malcolm Brown
ERFA's WR's Khadarel Hodge & JoJo Natson.
Cap Casualty WWC FA veteran Back Up QB.
Rams four 2018 practice squad OL'ers: OC/OG Aaron Neary, RT/OG/OC JJ Dielman, OT Darrell Williams & OT Kyle Murphy, QB Brandon Allen, TE Henry Krieger-Coble & WR Austin Proehl.

Okay... in Late April NFL Draft:
Offensively Concentrate finding prospects @ the following positions: LT/OG & Back Up QB,