CAMP REPORT 2019 NFL Draft Round 2-3 (no spoilers!)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
... or hopefully the lack of taking a DT or edge player means they like Sebastion Joseph-Day & Obo/ Lawler/ Young

Well, they have a bunch of holes, at least players who will be gone or too expensive in future years. I think they went with BPA at a bunch of holes. The RB is informative, though McVay has said he wanted to add more explosive players to the team. He definitely did that, though lack of blocking is concerning. Of course, if the defense pins its ears back and go all out to get Goff, Henderson could be the safety valve to make them pay - possibly with long TDs.

Hram

UDFA
We didn’t need starters this draft. We needed freshman we could redshirt and develop. Bonus if they have special teams ability.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I may have had too many beers , but I'm not impressed at all with what Snead did . Could've had two plug and play starters and ended up with none . The rest of the NFC West just closed the gap on the Rams . JMO
And those two starters are, in your opinion? Remember, we didn't have a 2nd, and only 2 late third rounders. I think some of us didn't like how we drafted, or who we drafted, but I think the Rams love what they did, and got the players they targeted.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I may have had too many beers , but I'm not impressed at all with what Snead did . Could've had two plug and play starters and ended up with none . The rest of the NFC West just closed the gap on the Rams . JMO

I look at it this way JJ III & Rapp will be our starters @ both safety posyts in 2020. CB David long fits wha Wade desires in the Marcus Peters post. RB Henderson may be the most important selection since the Goff pick in 2016. Evans who played both left & right OT appears like a good swing OT prospect for 2019. Could see early OG action if there is a need.

It's going to be a little hard on Bobby Evans being a 3rd round pick like Joe Noteboom was. Evans has 26 Games starting @ RT & 14 games @ LT. Most draft sites see him as a swing OG more than a swing OT.

Last edited:

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Here's Kyle Crabbs of The Draft Network's assessment of Evans:

Bobby Evans projects as a starting Left Tackle in the NFL. His functional athleticism, length and ability in the run game are all plus traits that should be centerpieces of Evans' usage in the NFL. An NFL team would be wise to focus on improving his initial release out of his stance to protect him from compromising his pass sets. As a result, there may be some growing pains in his initial transition to the NFL. Has all the needed tools to be a successful long term starter in the league.​

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
My only real concern in our base packages is LB. We aren't deep at D.L and O.L is in need of some proven youth but you don't fix everything at once. If the O.L is solid we are fine on O. D is the question and we have a lot of pieces lets hope they fit

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Well, they have a bunch of holes, at least players who will be gone or too expensive in future years. I think they went with BPA at a bunch of holes. The RB is informative, though McVay has said he wanted to add more explosive players to the team. He definitely did that, though lack of blocking is concerning. Of course, if the defense pins its ears back and go all out to get Goff, Henderson could be the safety valve to make them pay - possibly with long TDs.

My guess is that the Rams will still draft a WR & QB late, but many of the remaining 4 picks and UDFA's will likely be dedicated to trench positions. Including the 4 draftees today, we now have 63 players of the 80 which will be brought in to camp, so we may yet see some of our own and some outside CAP cut free agents coming in to compete for jobs. jmo.

Ram65

Legend
You have to think the Rams knew what they were doing. Looks like two starters next year on defense with both contributing this year. That's much needed depth in the defensive back end this year. Got a RB that can catch and is explosive. Added depth at offensive line with potential to start next year at OG.

Not what many were expecting. I thought defensive line but, safety and CB were needs as well. Lots of moving around that you needed a score card to keep track. Top of head ended up with 61 70 78 and 97. Started with 31. 94 and 98 IIRC. They added another player and moved up greatly on the middle two picks. Rams scouts found players that fit what the Rams coaches like. Snead may have been able to do a little better but, it appears he got what he wanted.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
We didn’t need starters this draft. We needed freshman we could redshirt and develop. Bonus if they have special teams ability.
I think they are light on the DL unless Joseph-Day is being expected to contribute this year.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Tomorrow, we get some front 7 D help. I doubt we sit pat with those 3 5th rounders. They must have really liked Evans to give up the 4th. We were set up to use one of those 5ths to move up in the 4th to get the best that's left. We'll see Snead do some more voodoo tomorrow.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think they are light on the DL unless Joseph-Day is being expected to contribute this year.

I suspect he is, based on comments by coaches - but it wouldn't shock me if they drafted a NT. It's not unusual for a 2 down big body to drop a bit in the draft.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If he’s supposed to be the Whitworth replacement...I don’t like the pick...at all.

Noteboom is Whitworth's replacement...Evans is big & bad and I trust Kromer, if he feels he can work with Evans,plus he's a better RT than LT, his tape was better last season at RT. Strong and can move inside and IMO has a future at Guard either left or right.

Three-year starter with tackle experience on both sides who plays with excellent core strength, good hand placement and a noticeable nasty streak. Evans is below average as an athlete but makes up for it with upper-body power and solid technique. Despite being under 6-foot-5, his arm length (34 3/4 inches) might convince a team to try him at right tackle before any moves inside. He might be scheme-dependent, but strength and toughness give him a shot at becoming a good backup with eventual starter potential.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/bobby-evans?id=32194556-4123-7310-44e4-5ca5223f4b63

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Bobby Evans - 6'-4" 312 lbs.

Bobby Evans - OT - Oklahoma - 6'-4" 312 lbs. -A smooth moving, athletic OT with decent power and a good anchor. Run blocking is ahead of his pass blocking. ZBS fit.

"Honorable mention - Bobby Evans - OT - Oklahoma - He fits the Rams zone blocking scheme perfectly and can be had on day 3, needs some tech. work and a weight room, but give him a year and you should really have something."

Positives:
Good length for a LT
Smooth mover
good power
really mobile, 2nd level like mobility
competes hard
Athletic frame
high potential in a OZS

Negatives:
not a mauler, needs more weight room
footwork and hand placement need work
needs a year in a pro system

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I believe that SJD is being considered a rotational starter this season @ NT. SJD did look good in preseason against the run. I also believe that JFM will be listed as the starting DE in the 5 tech post unless Morgan Fox finally collects himself after last pre seasons ACL tear.

Wade goes to a four DL front often in passing downs. When he lines up like this he utilizes his OLB'ers @ DE with only two DL'ers. No reason to think he will change in 2019 with Matthews/ Fowler/ Okoronkwo/ Ebukam/ Lawler & Young.

In TC & pre-season I will be looking to see if last years rookie ER's (Young/Lawler) will have increased their GIRTH & strength coming into their 2nd season in the NFL. Lawler was already a very big OLB'er being 6-4 265 lbs as a rookie. Young was 6-4 260lbs. Both could be considered more DL'ers than LB'ers. DL coach Henderson will have input there.

There are some decent bona fide NT available today. NT's Renell Wren & Daylon Mack should be off the board when we are up. I like Mack. Good chance that Bama's NT Isaiah Buggs will be there with one of the three 5th round picks. NT Greg Gaines would be a good 7th round selection.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
My only real concern in our base packages is LB. We aren't deep at D.L and O.L is in need of some proven youth but you don't fix everything at once. If the O.L is solid we are fine on O. D is the question and we have a lot of pieces lets hope they fit

I am guessing a cheap vet like Groy is added to provide some back up experience to the OL. Maybe a Tyrun Walker type is added to the DL... again a cheap vet to provide depth if Joseph-Day can't play.

Ants

Starter
Don’t care what anyone says... the guy looks lost running around. He runs around like one of those 8 year old girls playing soccer...

Basically, his footwork is total crap, but if Kromer can fix that, he’s got other skills to be really good inside.

NO WAY does he have the feet to play outside in the NFL.

Noteboom looks like Fred Astaire compared to Bobby Evans.

I like him inside. I like him after a year of working on his footwork.

If he’s supposed to be the Whitworth replacement...I don’t like the pick...at all.

Yeah, I don't see that at all.
From what I've seen of him (highlight reel, some Orange Bowl video, and other video), he looks like a real solid player.
He looks to be pretty good on his feet, gets to the next level, has really good vision, and seals off blocks.
The only real bad tendency might be when a pass rusher attempts to go around him deep...he tends to not stick with him. I think a lot of guys do the same thing - but that's the one thing I saw.
I also didn't see too many running plays, so I'm not sure what he's like as a run blocker. He does seem to position himself well. So if he's not a "mauler", at least he gets in position.

I like the pick.
icon_cool.gif