2018 NFL Free Agents: Interior Offensive Linemen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Norwell would be my pick!
Going to cost a lot. We'd likely miss out on TruJo, Watkins or Joyner or have to cut Quinn. Then replace one of those. That's the issue with adding the best free agent at any position, it costs a lot.

Ram65

Legend
My concern with the OL is that you can't pay all of them; at least 2 or 3 need to be young up and comers with club control. As it stands right now...

Whit - PAID
Saff - PAID, and gonna be PAID next year
Sully - FA so gonna be PAID even if it's not big money
Brown - gonna be PAID in 2019 season
Hav - gonna be PAID in 2019 season

It's a helluva puzzle. I guarantee we won't enter 2019 with all five being paid. So some draft capital has to be spent at the very least mid to late rounds in this draft, and I would guess they pay a future piece or two now knowing some of the others will drop off the cap radar down the road.

It is a hella puzzle. It's possible the Rams offer Brown and Hav an extension this off season. Getting the deals done this off season should save them money. If they were free agents now neither would be top level gets. Blythe OC/OG in waiting. Rams will lose the Whit payment after 2019 so that's another problem but, it gives money to others later in their deals. They do need a couple young guys to compete at cheap prices.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'd agree on the chances being slim. The only way I see it as even possible is if we don't re-sign Watkins for salary reasons. If we can't gift Watkins to Goff, we might fix two potential future offensive problems with one stone toss by bringing in someone like Norwell who will immediately impact the entire offense. Reynolds would get the opportunity of a lifetime, Goff would get better pass pro, Gurley better run blocking, and the Rams no longer have the worry of Jamon Brown leaving with free agency in 2019. Brown could also be used as trade bait with some team. Signing Norwell long-term would be almost as much of a coup as the Whitworth sign. jmo.
Yeah, I don't disagree.
Given Whitworths age maybe more of one to land Norwell.
The line is fine with Brown. Norwell fits because Brown was the weakest link in the line overall last year. But, he massively improved and is still young. So, I'm sure Brown is the guy going forward. Hopefully he continues to improve and earns the big payday.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
He's one of if not the best Center on the market and likely to get paid big time. I'm curious how he'll do medically, going on IR from concussions is never a good thing in today's NFL.

That's why I think we'll be able to afford him. The concussions are a concern, but the talent is there, and we were saying the same thing about Sullivan and his injury history. Richburg is only twenty-six, so I don't have the same concerns as I did with Sullivan (although, granted, Sullivan played extremely well.)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's why I think we'll be able to afford him. The concussions are a concern, but the talent is there, and we were saying the same thing about Sullivan and his injury history. Richburg is only twenty-six, so I don't have the same concerns as I did with Sullivan (although, granted, Sullivan played extremely well.)
So did Blythe who's already signed. I just don't see us spending free agent money on the OLine this off season. There are IMO other bigger priorities.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
So did Blythe who's already signed. I just don't see us spending free agent money on the OLine this off season. There are IMO other bigger priorities.

Blythe is a good backup. I don't think he's more than that. Center is definitely a priority, especially if we don't re-sign Sullivan.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Blythe is a good backup. I don't think he's more than that. Center is definitely a priority, especially if we don't re-sign Sullivan.

While I can see the Rams drafting an OG/C for depth, I can't see them NOT making Sullivan a viable offer. I'd guess a 2 year, $5.5mil. contract should get the job done. jmo.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Going to cost a lot. We'd likely miss out on TruJo, Watkins or Joyner or have to cut Quinn. Then replace one of those. That's the issue with adding the best free agent at any position, it costs a lot.
I'm not so sure about this^^! JMHO

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not so sure about this^^! JMHO
The top free agent guard last year hauled in a 4 year $36 million contract. Add a little bit for a year later and he's about $10 million a year at least. Add to that a couple of the teams that really need a guard have a ton of space and $11 million is easy to see.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The top free agent guard last year hauled in a 4 year $36 million contract. Add a little bit for a year later and he's about $10 million a year at least. Add to that a couple of the teams that really need a guard have a ton of space and $11 million is easy to see.

As mentioned earlier, for me it comes down to what happens with Watkins' contract. I've been quite vocal in my support for re-signing Watkins, but if it came down to a choice between Watkins at $10.mil per ($50.mil, 5 years) and Norwell at $12.mil per ($60.mil, 5 years), I have to lean Norwell at a contract matching Kevin Zeitler's 2017 deal with Cleveland, adding a little more signing bonus & guaranteed money. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As mentioned earlier, for me it comes down to what happens with Watkins' contract. I've been quite vocal in my support for re-signing Watkins, but if it came down to a choice between Watkins at $10.mil per ($50.mil, 5 years) and Norwell at $12.mil per ($60.mil, 5 years), I have to lean Norwell at a contract matching Kevin Zeitler's 2017 deal with Cleveland, adding a little more signing bonus & guaranteed money. jmo.
Which I wouldn't have a problem with at all. My question was it's going to be expensive and may cost us one of our own free agents. Which are people comfortable with losing.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Which I wouldn't have a problem with at all. My question was it's going to be expensive and may cost us one of our own free agents. Which are people comfortable with losing.

I believe of the three players/positions you mentioned, TruJo, Joyner & Watkins, Watkins is the only one who might be replaced with someone already on the roster, so that would be the direction i'd be looking in. jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My concern with the OL is that you can't pay all of them; at least 2 or 3 need to be young up and comers with club control. As it stands right now...

Whit - PAID
Saff - PAID, and gonna be PAID next year
Sully - FA so gonna be PAID even if it's not big money
Brown - gonna be PAID in 2019 season
Hav - gonna be PAID in 2019 season

It's a helluva puzzle. I guarantee we won't enter 2019 with all five being paid. So some draft capital has to be spent at the very least mid to late rounds in this draft, and I would guess they pay a future piece or two now knowing some of the others will drop off the cap radar down the road.
I would think that a good amount of draft assets will be utilized to beef up a very weak in Talent & Skill & in overall numbers in the OL reserve cadre. The only viable OL reserve is Austin Blythe. We know that RFA Darrell Williams is a one post OL'er {OLT} & he has no future as a starter here which makes him close to worthless in the overall plan.

Rams will have six last day draft selections available to do what needs to be done. I would look for @ least 2 OT's to be drafted maybe 3. Snead has already let that be known. If 2 of the 4 current starters bolt for bigger $$$ they (Snead/McVay) will just have to keep drafting OL'ers in the coming drafts. But I would almost guarantee that a non Ram veteran starting UFA OL'er will enter the picture @ some point. Goff can not function behind a poor OL so all those expensive contracted offensive play toys will be useless without a highly functioning OL.