2018 NFL Free Agents: Interior Offensive Linemen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Top Free Agents (by current contract salary per year)

Luke Joeckel, guard (Seahawks – $8 million per year)
Shawn Lauvao, guard (Redskins – $4.25 million per year)
Evan Smith, guard (Buccaneers – $3.56 million per year)
Justin Pugh, guard (Giants – $3.43 million per year)
D.J. Fluker, guard (Giants – $3 million per year)
Andrew Norwell, guard (Panthers – $2.746 million per year)
Wesley Johnson, center (Jets – $2.746 million per year)
Joe Berger, guard (Vikings – $2.465 million per year)
Jahri Evans, guard (Packers – $2.25 million per year)
Jonathan Cooper, guard (Cowboys – $2 million per year)
Tom Compton, guard (Bears – $1.85 million per year)
Daniel Kilgore, center (49ers – $1.8 million per year)
Ryan Jensen, center (Ravens – $1.797 million per year)
Josh Kline, guard (Titans – $1.65 million per year)
Matt Slauson, guard (Chargers – $1.5 million per year)
Allen Barbre, guard (Broncos – $1.5 million per year)
Alex Boone, guard (Cardinals – $1.4 million per year)
Xavier Su’a-Filo, guard (Texans – $1.388 million per year)
Senio Kelemete, center (Saints – $1.35 million per year)
Weston Richburg, center (Giants – $1.219 million per year)

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams draft a good C or OG or LT? first or mid-round?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'll say it again: I want Weston Richburg in horns.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Norwell is the only guy on the list i'd like to see joining the Rams.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah Norwell gonna get PAID.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll say it again: I want Weston Richburg in horns.
He's one of if not the best Center on the market and likely to get paid big time. I'm curious how he'll do medically, going on IR from concussions is never a good thing in today's NFL.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams will probably look for an affordable add to the OL in FA, nice project type for Kromer to help hedge their bets against the draft and UDFA.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Dang, the Giants might lose 2 guards and a center. Next year will be tough for them.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Their offensive line sucked with them, they can suck without them!
I thought I read somewhere that one of their guards and the backup center were playing well at some point this season. Probably right before the Rams game as that's the only time if pay any attention to them.

May the Giants continue to suck forever, unless they play the Patriots or niners.

Ram65

Legend
Not a need area except depth. Rams can resign Sullivan a reasonable price and keep the same starters.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not a need area except depth. Rams can resign Sullivan a reasonable price and keep the same starters.

I agree. Unless they are unhappy with somebody's play they won't sign a top free agent Olineman to sit on the bench. I do like Lavau and Norwell though.

With so many of their own to sign this year it would seem replacing a guy like Brown is not a worthwhile move. He is still cheap and showed he could improve under good coaching.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would suggest to forgo any thought of signing any other non Ram UFA OG's but look to secure our present 2018 UFA OL'ers & 2019 UFA OL'ers instead. Might as well get started now. UFA John Sullivan should be hired back for a 2 or 3 yr contract that would take him right into retirement age if his health holds up. QB/OC relationship is vital & it what we saw in 2017 was excellent.

I would also suggest an extension of veteran OLG {2019 UFA} Rodger Saffold. Rodger was our best interior OL'er in 2017. He had his best season as a starter since 2010. RS finally had a good surrounding cast working with him. RS will be 30 when the season begins & could have 4 or 5 good season left in him.

If either of the 2 Ram OL'ers above express desires to play elsewhere then move to talks with Ryan Jensen {26 yrs old}& Spencer Long {27 yrs old} instead. Both of these UFA OL'ers started @ OC but have started @ both OG posts too. Jensen would be my preference but Long played under McVay for several years & there is sure to be a connection. Both of these interior OL'ers are over 6-4 315/320 lbs!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would also suggest an extension of veteran OLG {2019 UFA} Rodger Saffold. Rodger was our best interior OL'er in 2017. He had his best season as a starter since 2010. RS finally had a good surrounding cast working with him. RS will be 30 when the season begins & could have 4 or 5 good season left in him.

My concern with the OL is that you can't pay all of them; at least 2 or 3 need to be young up and comers with club control. As it stands right now...

Whit - PAID
Saff - PAID, and gonna be PAID next year
Sully - FA so gonna be PAID even if it's not big money
Brown - gonna be PAID in 2019 season
Hav - gonna be PAID in 2019 season

It's a helluva puzzle. I guarantee we won't enter 2019 with all five being paid. So some draft capital has to be spent at the very least mid to late rounds in this draft, and I would guess they pay a future piece or two now knowing some of the others will drop off the cap radar down the road.

fearsomefour

Legend
True.
Although both Brown and Havenstein are FA next year. Could sign a guy like Norwell to replace Brown at RG. He would provide an upgrade to the lines weakest spot and on a multi year deal avoid the possibility of having to replace bath in 19.
Odds that happens? I would say very slim.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
True.
Although both Brown and Havenstein are FA next year. Could sign a guy like Norwell to replace Brown at RG. He would provide an upgrade to the lines weakest spot and on a multi year deal avoid the possibility of having to replace bath in 19.
Odds that happens? I would say very slim.

I'd agree on the chances being slim. The only way I see it as even possible is if we don't re-sign Watkins for salary reasons. If we can't gift Watkins to Goff, we might fix two potential future offensive problems with one stone toss by bringing in someone like Norwell who will immediately impact the entire offense. Reynolds would get the opportunity of a lifetime, Goff would get better pass pro, Gurley better run blocking, and the Rams no longer have the worry of Jamon Brown leaving with free agency in 2019. Brown could also be used as trade bait with some team. Signing Norwell long-term would be almost as much of a coup as the Whitworth sign. jmo.

Last edited: