2015 Senior Bowl

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mayock: Duke's Laken Tomlinson starred at Senior Bowl
  • 0ap1000000217563.jpg
  • By Mike Huguenin
  • College Football 24/7 writer
  • Published: Jan. 22, 2015 at 06:17 p.m.
  • Updated: Jan. 22, 2015 at 06:37 p.m.
Duke has won at least nine games in back-to-back seasons for the first time in school history, and two of the players most responsible for that run of success had strong performances this week at the Reese's Senior Bowl.

Duke wide receiver Jamison Crowder has received a lot of praise from NFL Media analysts, and Thursday it was Blue Devils guard Laken Tomlinson (6-foot-3¼, 323 pounds) who was singled out by analyst Mike Mayock as having one of the best weeks of practice.

Date: Saturday, Jan. 24
Time: 4 p.m. ET
TV: NFL Network

Reese's Senior Bowl coverage:

Tomlinson was born in Jamaica and moved to Chicago in the eighth grade. He redshirted as a true freshman at Duke in 2010, then started every game the next four seasons.

Tomlinson had a double major at Duke -- evolutionary anthropology and psychology -- and has aspirations of becoming a doctor. Those aspirations likely will have to be put off for at least a few years as Tomlinson presumably enjoys life in the NFL.

Some other observations from the NFL Media analysts:

» Washington DE Hau'oli Kikaha, who led the nation with 19 sacks, impressed analyst Charles Davis. Kikaha's lack of size (6-2½, 246) almost certainly means a move to linebacker at the next level, and his lack of athleticism makes some observers think that will be a dicey move. Davis said Kikaha is at his best when moving straight ahead, and noted you don't draft him and have him drop into coverage. Davis also wondered if there were some teams that would ponder putting Kikaha at inside linebacker and asking him to stuff the run.

» As with Kikaha, Utah DE Nate Orchard -- who was second in the nation with 18.5 sacks -- is another who is seen as somewhat of a 'tweener because of his size (he measured in at 6-3¼ and 251). "His lack of size wasn't an issue" this week, said analyst Daniel Jeremiah, who was impressed with Orchard's ability to get off blocks. Orchard is a good athlete -- he played wide receiver in high school in Salt Lake City -- and was a three-year starter at end for the Utes. Mayock also was impressed, saying simply, "He's a really good football player."

» Mayock also was high on Northwestern S Ibraheim Campbell (5-10½, 210). Campbell is known as a heady, instinctive player who lacks speed, but Mayock said Campbell "did better than I expected in the drills" despite lacking elite safety speed. "He certainly has helped his draft stock," Mayock said. Campbell was stout in run support for the Wildcats; he was a four-year starter and finished his career with 316 tackles, 11 interceptions, 24 pass breakups and six forced fumbles.

» Wisconsin OT Rob Havenstein (6-7, 322) is one of the biggest players at the Senior Bowl, and he stood out for more than his size this week. As with all Badgers offensive linemen, Havenstein is a mauling road-grader in the run game. But he impressed Davis in the pass-blocking drills: "He had better feet than expected." Havenstein was a three-year starter at right tackle for the Badgers, and he arrived on campus weighing 380 pounds. He also played lacrosse and basketball in high school in the Baltimore area. His twin, Jeff, played basketball at Division I Longwood; he also is 6-8 -- but played at just 225 pounds.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...en-tomlinson-starred-at-senior-bowl-practices

Memphis Ram

Legend
2015 Senior Bowl: TCU cornerback leaving lasting impression in Mobile
By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

January 22, 2015 6:52 pm ET

Senior Bowl week started with the unfortunate news that West Virginia wide receiver Kevin White, a potential top-10 draft pick, had pulled out of the event. However, that name has been well represented in Mobile as the “other” Kevin White, a smallish cornerback out of TCU, has turned heads with his performance during practices.

Over the first two days, White was routinely one of the standouts on the South squad and on Thursday, it was more of the same as the former Horned Frog continued to shine.

During drills, White displayed the athleticism needed for the position with natural movement skills, swivel hips and explosive footwork to redirect his momentum in any direction. He also showed route anticipation, balance and burst to decisively click-and-close on plays in front of him, arriving with bad intentions to break up the play. Measuring 5-9 and 180 pounds with arms under the 30-inch benchmark, White doesn't necessarily look the part, but he is a top-notch competitor who doesn't back down physically, attacking the catch point with a “my ball” attitude.

Whether it was seven-on-seven or one-on-one drills, White was routinely in correct position to make a play on the ball, using his natural instincts and read/react quickness to be in the right place at the right time. And that knack is something scouts covet in the position.

A year ago, former TCU cornerback Jason Verrett was unable to participate in Mobile due to his injured shoulder, but he was still a first round draft pick. This year, White entered the week without much buzz, but he leaves Mobile as the talk of the town.

Other Thursday notes from South practice:

• Mississippi State defensive end Preston Smith lacks the natural twitch that is ideal on the edges, but he was still able to be effective during one-on-one's because of his length and point of attack strength. Although he doesn't have the natural burst like other pass rushers in Mobile, Smith has shown he can win in different ways, using every asset at his disposal to be effective against both the pass and the run.
  • The quarterback-to-cornerback transition for Auburn's Nick Marshall has been a bumpy experience in Mobile. He has been grabby and overly physical with a lot of guesswork at the new position, struggling with his new responsibilities. But NFL scouts haven't been overly critical, understanding the reality of such a change in this type of setting. In fact, Marshall seemed to gain more respect from some evaluators for his decision to try the new position at the Senior Bowl, understanding that is his best spot long-term and not backing down from the challenge. At 6-2 and 205 pounds with his speed, Marshall is a player who will get several chances before scouts give up on him.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...rnerback-leaving-lasting-impression-in-mobile

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
And that's what I like about the guys in charge. They don't seem to let that stop them. You gotta draft with an eye towards the future. A lot more weight has to be put on what they'll be down the line over what they'll be in their first...or even second year.

If you think Clemmings is great down the line, you draft him. Well, I'd draft him.

That is what scares me a little about the guys in charge. They really seem to favor elite athleticism first, but as E.J. Gaines is proving, quite often football I.Q/instinct is just as valuable if not more. He played better than Trumaine did in 2013 with lesser tools. I have never been a big proponent of taking the elite athlete and teach him how to play football school. That doesn't always work. Vernon Gholson can attest to that, ditto Mike Mamula and Tony Mandarich.

Jason Smith was chosen in a very weak draft class. He was taken higher than he probably would have been in a stronger class, but there was still some questions about his refinement. He never really refined.

So, sure I get how you think. We have been going back and forth on these types of players for years. You were all about Tavon and Julio and I was against both. Win some you lose some. ETC....

I don't know enough about NFL coaching to really know how much of Clemmings short comings are easily fixed. They weren't for some players and others they were. However, I hoped that there would be more positive from Clemmings Sr. Bowl week. At this point I hope he is not the pick at #10.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
From today's Jim Thomas chat who covered the Senior Bowl:

http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/Rams_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_74?Page=0

Saw that a Rams scout talked to Austin Shepherd at the Senior Bowl, do yoou think he is a name to remember for the later rounds of the draft?

It's certainly a name to keep in mind. But keep in mind, the Rams will talk to plenty of prospects at the Senior Bowl and even more at the Combine.
--------
Do you think WR Dorial Green-Beckham is on the Rams radar? I read an article calling for him to be their first pick. I think they should go OL, C, QB,OL or LB before they draft another WR. Your thoughts?

I'm sure the Rams will look into DGB. But at No. 10 overall? No.
----------
If the Rams are going to draft a QB that is going to be a legitimate option for 2015 (and maybe even a legitimate option beyond 2015), it is sounding more and more like it may have to be Mariota or Winston. Is there a realistic chance they would go big and move up for one of them? Or in drafting a QB, are the Rams looking more at getting a later-round (second round and on) lottery ticket type.

Well, they'd have to use some future picks to do so. And I think the price, particularly for Mariota, would be expensive. I think second_ or third rounder is more realistic.
---------
Draft strategy: Trade down for extra picks, don't chase Mariotta or Winston, get some line help, take a qb if he fits, otherwise lean on run game and defense. Remember, Trent Dilfer has one more ring than Marino!

I don't know if you really need extra picks at this point. I think you pursue Mariota or Winston only if it's a realistic scenario. (Maybe Winston drops some.) But there's no doubt that you have to shore up the O-line, get the run game more productive, etc.
---------
Heard the QB's at the Senior Bowl haven't impressed. Anyone look like a keeper?

Is there anyone at the senior bowl practice that stands out or that you really like?

To be honest, there's no Aaron Donald out there this year.
-----------
I dont know if it was already asked but..the baylor QB in yor article... does you have some insight that Snead can take him in the round 2, since there's real chance that he would be there?

I don't know that Snead/Fisher would take him in the second round. But I do think, from what I know now, that he'll be there. I'm intrigued by the guy.
----------
I know its January but if you had to decide today, what position do the Rams pick with their first round choice?

Best player available. . .if he's a quarterback or offensive lineman.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Washington's Danny Shelton among 10 Senior Bowl standouts
  • 0ap1000000126483.jpg
  • By Charles Davis
  • NFL Media analyst
  • Published: Jan. 23, 2015 at 02:17 p.m.
  • Updated: Jan. 23, 2015 at 03:02 p.m.

MOBILE, Ala. -- The full-contact practices at the Reese's Senior Bowl wrapped up on Thursday, and I've had an up-close look at the draft prospects competing here this week.

Plenty of players have flashed in practices, but which players have stood out the most? Here are the 10 prospects (five each from the North and South teams) that most frequently caught my eye along with some others that piqued my interest and bear watching as the draft process unfolds over the next few months (players are listed in alphabetical order).

Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson

Miami's Denzel Perryman was the most highly regarded of the inside linebackers in Mobile this week, and deservedly so. But Anthony made quite a name for himself, too. He can flat-out run, making plays sideline to sideline. I loved watching him. When Anthony diagnoses and reacts, look out. I was really impressed watching him retreat into coverage and break on the ball. He's a tremendous athlete.

Jamison Crowder, WR, Duke

When I asked defensive backs this week who's been their toughest cover, they consistently said it was Crowder. I knew coming into this week that Crowder was an elite kick and punt returner, and the team that drafts him can count on him to deliver in that way from the jump. However, he also is a great route runner and has good hands. Crowder is well-schooled in the passing game coming from Duke, where he was coached by David Cutcliffe. He's built more like a slot receiver at 5-foot-8, 174 pounds, and he's probably best-suited to play inside.

Carl Davis, DT, Iowa

We saw more from Davis than we might have expected this week in terms of being an upfield penetrator. It might have been the defensive scheme at Iowa that kept him as more of a two-gapper, but I saw him being very disruptive in the offensive backfield this week. He gave his stock a nice boost.

Phillip Dorsett, WR, Miami

You'll hear a lot about Dorsett's speed, which is overwhelming -- he expects to run a 4.3 40 at the NFLScouting Combine next month. But he showed me all week that he's not just a guy that can run fast. He ran good routes, made good cuts and competed for the ball really well. Dorsett made contested catches, and he's not big at 5-9 5/8, 183 pounds. He's more than a one-trick pony, though, and caught my eye at every practice.

Jalston Fowler, FB, Alabama

It might surprise some people to see a fullback on the list given that the position is no longer widely utilized in the NFL, but Fowler (5-11, 264) will run defenders over as a lead blocker. He also is dependable carrying the ball, not that he's asked to do so often, and has good hands to catch the ball out of the backfield. He reminds me a bit of former49ers fullback Tom Rathman. One NFL executive told me Fowler would be a Day 1 starter for any team that still utilizes a fullback.

Nate Orchard, DE, Utah

Orchard entered the week looking to answer questions about whether he has the traits to play as an outside linebacker after playing with his hand in the ground at Utah. I think he proved he can make the transition to standing up. He can rush the passer and is stronger than you would think -- his bull rush surprised people. I saw him walk some offensive linemen back to the quarterback using his bull rush. One NFL executive asked me to please not tell anyone that his team really likes the former Utes star. His secret is safe, but word is out that teams are intrigued by Orchard.

Danny Shelton, NT, Washington

Some people believed coming into the week that Shelton could possibly be a top-10 selection in this year's draft, and he did nothing to dissuade them from that belief with his performance in practices. He's a big man at 6-2, 343, but he has better feet and stamina than you might think. Shelton is not just a sit-in-the-middle nose tackle. I think he can be a three-down defensive lineman at the next level -- he played against a lot of up-tempo offenses in the Pac-12 and he didn't come off the field much. Shelton reminds me of Casey Hampton early in his career with the Steelers.

Laken Tomlinson, G, Duke

The scouting report I had heard coming into this week was that Tomlinson is a good player with heavy feet. However, I thought his feet were more than quick enough when I watched him in practices. Plus, he accepted the challenge of going up against Shelton, the consensus top player at the Senior Bowl, and Tomlinson had no problem dealing with Shelton. In fact, Tomlinson acquitted himself quite nicely when matched up against him. The former Duke guard is a big, strong, forceful interior lineman with a good hand punch. I think he helped himself as much as any prospect at the Senior Bowl.

Clive Walford, TE, Miami

No matter who was covering Walford this week, the tight end was making plays. Many people think he's the top tight end in this draft, and he showed why this week. He's excellent getting off the line of scrimmage and runs routes well. Walford showed off an arsenal of subtle fakes that leave defenders hanging in coverage, which allows him to gain a step and run. At 6-4, 258, I think he's big enough to handle blocking in-line. Walford has a chance to be a complete tight end.

Kevin White, TCU, CB

I might be a bit biased, having seen White (5-9 3/8, 180) play in person four times over the past year, but just like 2014 first-round pick Jason Verrett, White is a vertically challenged former TCU corner who doesn't let his lack of height affect him. He makes plays on the ball, gains excellent positioning, can run with receivers and will tackle. He's the complete package and is willing to battle.

Others to keep an eye on: Ameer Abdullah, RB, Nebraska; T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh; Grady Jarrett, NT, Clemson; Tyler Lockett, WR, Kansas State; Jeff Luc, LB, Cincinnati; Denzel Perryman, ILB, Miami.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-danny-shelton-among-10-senior-bowl-standouts

Memphis Ram

Legend
Buzz-worthy, buzz-kill players from Day 3 at the Senior Bowl
  • 0ap3000000454479.jpg
  • By Lance Zierlein NFL.com
  • NFL Media draft analyst
  • Published: Jan. 22, 2015 at 07:28 p.m.
  • Updated: Jan. 22, 2015 at 08:00 p.m.
Buzz-worthy and buzz-kill players: Day 1 | Day 2

Thursday marked the final day of practice at the Reese's Senior Bowl. Here's my breakdown of the players who finished strong, and the ones who'll enter Saturday's game on a disappointing note.

Buzz-worthy players

Nate Orchard, DE, Utah
Orchard generated a ton of buzz during his senior season, finishing with 18.5 sacks, including five games with two sacks or more. Orchard came to Utah as a wide receiver but quickly moved to the defensive side of the ball, and he has steadily grown into his 255-pound frame over the last few years. Orchard is going to face questions about whether he is physical enough against the run, but he more than held his own against powerful tackles such as Rob Havenstein of Wisconsin and T.J. Clemmings of Pitt in run-blocking drills, and he also flashed the pass-rushing ability that helped him produce so many sacks during the 2014 season.

Max Garcia, C, Florida
After Andy Gallik of Boston College, Hroniss Grasu of Oregon and Cameron Erving of Florida State had to pull out of the Senior Bowl because of injury concerns, there was a mad scramble to fill those slots with serviceable centers. Garcia got the call and made the most of his opportunity with a steady week of practice reps. His strength at the point of attack against Washington's Danny Shelton and Iowa'sCarl Davis caught the eyes of scouts and could force them to go back and take a closer look at him once again.

Garrett Grayson, QB, Colorado State
Grayson was up and down at this week's practices, which is generally the case for quarterbacks, but he had scouts buzzing in the stands with some of his throws Thursday afternoon. Grayson threw a couple of poor interceptions -- to TCU's Kevin White and Norfolk State's Lynden Trail -- but made up for it with impressive touch on deep throws and with fade routes in the end zone. Grayson is a polarizing prospect in scouting circles but had a solid day.

Antwan Goodley, WR, Baylor
There are personnel men who continue to get caught up in Goodley's body type. At 5-foot-10, 220 pounds, he has been likened to a running back. But his deep speed was on display Thursday, and Goodley got off of press coverage with ease for most of the morning. Goodley was a vertical threat at Baylor and was used as a running back on some zone-read plays, but one scout said Goodley had an eye-opening week showing off his potential outside of the Baylor scheme.

Clive Walford, TE, Miami
Despite missing Miami's bowl game after having surgery for a knee injury, Walford suited up and played well at this week's practices. Several scouts believe he will be one of the top two tight ends off the board in this year's draft. Walford showed he's healthy and continues to gain momentum following an impressive regular season. Walford was adequate as a blocker and looked athletic this week.

Buzz-kill players

Ben Koyack, TE, Notre Dame
Koyack came into the week with mixed reviews from scouts, but it's hard to find many personnel men who have anything positive to say about his week of practice. Koyack struggled in one-on-one blocking drills Thursday and looked stiff and slow in his routes, according to several scouts. While Walford solidified his draft standing, Koyack appears to have hurt his stock.

Reese Dismukes, C, Auburn
Dismukes was a highly decorated SEC center as part of Auburn's explosive offense, but his physical shortcomings were accentuated in practice. Dismukes struggled to consistently anchor up in one-on-one drills on Thursday and was unable to sway scouts that question his ability to block on the move and play with consistent functional strength.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...uzzkill-players-from-day-3-at-the-senior-bowl

Memphis Ram

Legend
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/n...3-Risers/263499b2-483f-4e00-8daf-263e69383645

Senior Bowl: Pauline's Day 3 Risers

Tony PaulineDraftInsider.net

MOBILE, Al. –
The final day of practice from the 2015 Senior Bowl is now in the books and all that's left is to play the game itself. Overall, a good number of defensive linemen really improved their stock and it was a pair of tight ends and cornerbacks who impressed on Thursday. Here are the risers and sliders from the last day of padded practice.

Risers

Laken Tomlinson/G/Duke – Tomlinson has not dominated this week but, at the same time, he's not been beaten and has impressed scouts with disciplined play. Tomlinson blocks with great fundamentals and did not give up an inch to defenders in either drills or scrimmage. He's moved from late-round prospect into the middle frames.

Clive Walford/TE/Miami – There was a lot to like about Walford's performance the past two days. He's been very consistent as both a blocker and pass catcher, handling defenders at the line of scrimmage as well as making receptions down the seam. He's not a true vertical threat rather Walford possesses the skills necessary to be dependable in all areas of the tight end position for years to come.

Nick Boyle/TE/Delaware – Boyle was solid all week yet saved his best for the final practice. He was dominant blocking during the entire session on Thursday besides making several nice receptions down the sidelines. He's not a true downfield threat but has proven himself to be reliable in all aspects of the position. Most feel Boyle will have a long career as a No. 2 tight end in the NFL.

Cody Prewitt/S/Mississippi – Prewitt came to Mobile and ended the notion that he's a run-defending safety who struggles in coverage. Today, he made several nice plays on passes including an interception in the end zone as well as a break-up in the middle of the field. Prewitt's solid play in coverage the past few days will enhance his draft stock.

Quandre Diggs/CB/Texas – Diggs made few mistakes during the start of the week then upped his game on Thursday. He made a terrific play picking off a Bryce Petty pass at the start of Thursday's practice then finished the session with a monstrous hit in scrimmage which drew praise from both scouts and fans. Diggs does not possess classic measurable, but showed enough skill this week to get late-round consideration.

David Cobb/RB/Minnesota – Teammates Ameer Abdullah and Tyler Varga stole the show in the opening practices but today Cobb stepped to the forefront. His vision, instincts and ability to immediately find the running lanes were impressive as was Cobb's pass-catching out of the backfield. Cobb is more of a one-speed ball carrier with a minimal burst but his versatility to perform multiple tasks at the running back spot is impressive.

Arie Kouandjio/G/Alabama – Kouandjio battled hard during Thursday's practice and won out on just about every snap he took. He blocked with great fundamentals, showed a lot of strength in his game and controlled opponents on the line of scrimmage. Scouts praised Kouandjio after practice as many feel he's solidified his status as a middle-round choice.

Imoan Claiborne/CB/Northwestern State – Claiborne's performance from Wednesday should not go without mention. The feisty, small-school corner played tough, smart football and shut down the talented rivals he faced on a number of occasions. He stayed with opponents out of breaks, quickly located the pass and showed a burst to the ball. Overall, scouts had to be impressed with the attitude Claiborne played with as well as his results.

Sliders

Bryce Petty/QB/Baylor – Thus far, Petty has proven that he's little more than a product of Baylor's high-octane passing offense and has struggled to make scouts believe he offers legitimate NFL talent. He never distinguished himself above the group of mediocre quarterbacks on the North squad and finished his week of Senior Bowl practices by throwing a pair of interceptions on Thursday.

Blake Sims/QB/Alabama – The first-year starter from Alabama is a terrific athlete but proved he's not a great passer. His accuracy was questionable all week as were many of his reads and decisions. Sims was effective rolling outside the pocket then throwing on the move and showed ability picking up yardage with his feet. Teams must now decide if he's worth developing at quarterback or whether Sims revert back to his original position of running back.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Senior Bowl NFL Draft stock report: Who helped themselves in Mobile?
By Dan Kadar@MockingTheDraft on Jan 23 2015, 10:04a 12

Practices in Mobile, Ala. have concluded, and several players put in a good week that could ultimately bump up their draft status.

MOBILE, Ala.: A full week of Senior Bowl practices has come and gone, so that means it's time take a look at the players who helped and hurt their stock in the 2015 NFL Draft.

It should be noted that this isn't a complete indictment on these players – for good or bad. But watching practices offers a different perspective. For the players who struggled, it should force people go back and double check what they saw in games.

As our coverage has noted previously, LSU offensive tackle La'el Collins and Washington defensive tackle Danny Shelton played as expected. That expectation was a high level of play, so they're not listed here. They should both be in the discussion for the top 12 picks.

STOCK UP
Players from Miami
With what the Miami players showed this week, it's almost impossible to figure out how the Hurricanes finished 6-7 this season. Tight end Clive Walford showed better athleticism than expected – especially on a diving catch Wednesday – and should be back in the discussion as being the first tight end drafted. Wide receiver Phillip Dorsett relied on his speed to beat defensive backs, whether he was working the slot or outside. Both of those players could be second-round picks. Linebacker Denzel Perryman looked as expected before he got injured. Cornerback Ladarius Gunter showed flashes. Really, that's all he needed to do. At 6-foot-1 and 203 pounds, a team is going to love Gunter's length and ability to get his hand up and tip away passes.

Laken Tomlinson, G, Duke
In an all-star game environment, it can be challenging for an established interior blocker to improve his stock. Basically, they are who we think they are. But Tomlinson was the exception all week. Of all the North blockers, none did better against Shelton than Tomlinson. He gets good leverage and ability to hold his position. I probably had Tomlinson ranked higher than most as a late second- to early third-round pick, but now he's getting buzz in that area.

Jamison Crowder, WR, Duke
Forget Crowder's height and hand size. Just watch him play. Hopefully that's what NFL teams do. If they do, they'll see a wide receiver who gets up field after the catch in a hurry and is a crisp route runner. Crowder is the type of wide receiver you can pick on the third day and he'll have a solidly productive rookie season.

Kevin White, CB, TCU
Because he's not the biggest cornerback, White has to rely on his instincts more so than any other cornerback in the Senior Bowl. Throughout the week he did that and seemed to play with an edge. He's a player people will have to go back to the tape on and make sure he wasn't just having one good week. But if his performance against West Virginia is any indication, he wasn't. White seems to have everything you want in a cornerback except size and length.

Shaq Mason, G, Georgia Tech
Speaking of a player's tape, Mason has tape that is hard to translate to the NFL since he played in a Georgia Tech option offense that always had him moving. In Mobile, he was asked to be immobile. Ha, that was a joke. Anyway, Mason showed he can hold his position thanks to good strength and leverage. Mason is a squatty blocker who can hold onto his blocks.

Carl Davis, DT, Iowa
After Shelton, the most consistently good defensive player for the North this week was Davis. He had a quiet season due to a lot of double teams. But he showed in Mobile, especially in one-on-one drills, that he's an incredibly skilled and powerful tackle. There is going to be a debate over the next couple of months about Davis and Malcom Brown of Texas about which one could slide into the first round.

Stephone Anthony, MLB, Clemson
There isn't a lot of flash to Anthony. He's just fast enough, just big enough and just instinctual enough. But when you combine all of those things, you have a solid three-down linebacker. When Perryman went down with an injury this week, Anthony seized the moment. He displayed a knack for filling a gap versus the run and enough fluidity to keep up in coverage. Anthony went from being a late Day 3 player to an early Day 3 player.

Nick Boyle, TE, Delaware
After Walford, the best tight end at the Senior Bowl was Boyle. At first he stood out for his run blocking and during pass blocking drills. But as practices progressed, he showed he has good hands and uses his frame to get open. His play in Mobile was reminiscent of Crockett Gilmore last year. Boyle isn't the fastest, but other than that he projects as a good No. 2 tight end and a good late-round pick.

Small-school gems
It wasn't just Boyle who looks like he'll make the successful jump to the NFL. On Thursday, you met Hobart College offensive lineman Ali Marpet. Samford safety Jaquiski Tartt had a good week. He is a physical safety, but showed he can hold up in coverage. In a draft class that needs that type of safety, Tartt dramatically improved his stock. Central Arkansas wide receiverDezmin Lewis had the sort of week that should lock up a spot in the draft for him. He showed the ability to high point the ball and looks fluid and speedy. When you add in that he's 6-foot-3, you get solid prospect to mold. Northern Iowa running back David Johnson looked like the best all-around running back in practices. He can handle himself in pass protection and is a good runner. But it's his skills as a pass catcher that will keep him on an NFL roster. Johnson's versatility could lead to a productive NFL career.

STOCK DOWN:
T.J. Clemmings, OT, Pittsburgh
Make no mistake, Clemmings is still probably going to be a top 20 pick. And maybe Clemmings was just a victim to the circumstance. But when Titans coaches had him on the left side in drills, he didn't look good. He looked like what you'd expect from player who played just two years at right tackle. His handwork was inconsistent and coaches were often drilling him on where to target. If anyone considered Clemmings a potential left tackle, he showed this week he needs to stay on the right side. Really, there's nothing wrong with that, though.

Quarterbacks
Another all-star game, another week of lackluster quarterback play. Throughout the week the quarterbacks in Mobile were missing easy throws, throwing interceptions, dropping snaps and bobbling handoffs. There were six in attendance – Bryan Bennettof Southeast Louisiana, Shane Carden of East Carolina, Garrett Grayson of Colorado State, Sean Mannion of Oregon State, Bryce Petty of Baylor and Blake Sims of Alabama. How many of these guys will have a draftable grade? Three? Grayson looked the best of the group, but still missed too many easy throws.

Ty Montgomery, WR, Stanford
The issue with Montgomery entering the week was how well he runs routes and finds the deep ball. Stanford liked to use him in the quick passing game, and it showed during practices. Montgomery will have to be put on a team that utilizes his assets as a versatile offensive weapon. If they want him to come in and be a traditional receiver who runs a full route tree, they may be disappointed.

Ty Sambrailo, OT, Colorado State
Not to make this an anti-Ty brigade, but Sambrailo had a chance to really show himself as a top 40 pick in Mobile. He didn't. Sambrailo's play clearly shows he's a player who has to add strength and may need to sit a year to do so in an NFL strength program. If he does get stronger, Sambrailo is a good left tackle candidate because of his flexibility and foot quickness. But defensive players often drove him backward and shed him during practices.

Ben Koyack, TE, Notre Dame
Whatever team drafts Koyack will have to do so with the understanding that he's limited as mostly a receiving tight end and not much else. His blocking was criticized early in the week and he didn't make many memorable plays on Thursday. He's not on the same level as Troy Niklas last year or Tyler Eifert the year before.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/1/23/7877005/senior-bowl-stock-report-nfl-draft

Memphis Ram

Legend
Quarterback big winner at Senior Bowl

ketchman60.jpg
Vic Ketchmanpackers.com editor

Practices complete; combine next for prospects

150123-senior-bowl-300.jpg

Colorado State quarterback Garrett Grayson would appear to be one of the big winners following Senior Bowl practices in Mobile, Ala., this week.

“Big arm; can make all of the throws. No mental mistakes, which is the concern in his game,” draft analyst Tony Pauline said of Grayson, who performed well enough to possibly push himself into the middle rounds of the draft.

Here’s a position-by-position look at the highs and lows of the week:

Quarterback – Grayson came to the Senior Bowl as a late-round prospect. His performance this week gives him a chance to push into the top rounds with a strong combine effort. Alabama’s Blake Sims struggled in the passing game, but his athletic ability was obvious. He might interest teams as a running back, similar to what Michael Robinson achieved at the Senior Bowl several years ago.

Running back – Yale’s Tyler Varga is the big winner. Varga wasn’t even rated by scouts coming into the week, but will leave Mobile having dominated drills. “Complete running back; stood out in running drills; outstanding receiver; stood out in blocking drills,” Pauline said. Northern Iowa’s David Johnson didn’t live up to expectations. He’ll have a chance to improve his draft stock at the combine.

Receivers and tight ends – Tight end Clive Walford of Miami was consistent in all areas. He caught well and blocked well. “Not top two rounds but good No. 2 tight end for a very long time,” Pauline said. Donatella Luckett of Harding in Arkansas had the dropsies in Mobile, which wasn’t good for a small-school guy on a big stage. The combine will offer a bigger stage.

Offensive line – Ali Marpet of Division III Hobart College is the big winner. He dominated some of the top guys and was consistently the best offensive lineman in Mobile. He worked at left tackle and guard and suffered no breakdowns. Pauline said Marpet has moved from the late rounds up to round three. Tackle T.J. Clemmings of Pitt was a steady riser through the season. Late in the season, he was said to have pushed his way into possibly the top half of the first round, but Clemmings didn’t have a good week in Mobile. Pauline thinks Clemmings might’ve fallen a round or two, as a result.

Defensive line – Iowa’s Carl Davis dominated from the first practice through the last. He was athletic and explosive, and Pauline says Davis has the strength to play on the nose and the athleticism to play end in a three-man front. “Unstoppable all week. Double-teamed on the last day to slow him down. Second round to late first round,” Pauline said. Hau’oli Kikaha of Washington is an undersized end that struggled getting off blocks in a three-point stance. He also took snaps at outside linebacker and would appear to be a tweener.

Linebacker – Clemson’s Stephone Anthony is the big winner. He was consistent and proved he can be a three-down defender. “Doesn’t make mental mistakes in coverage,” Pauline said. Jeff Luc in Cincinnati struggled in coverage and appears to be an in-the-box, two-down defender.

Defensive back – Safety Anthony Jefferson of UCLA wasn’t highly rated coming to Mobile but used the Senior Bowl practices to show a lot of skill and versatility. “Good against the run, fluid in the hips, good closing burst. Not much known about him and he did really well,” Pauline said. TCU’s Kevin White is a smallish cornerback who struggled with his back to the ball and was beaten for some receptions. The combine will be a rebound platform for him.

The combine is set for Feb. 17-23.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-eve...pr=35865630&campaign=social_20150123_39284207

Memphis Ram

Legend
Draft analyst discusses prospects from third day of Senior Bowl
BY TEREZ A. PAYLOR

THE KANSAS CITY STAR

01/23/2015 11:29 AM

MOBILE, ALA.
Bryan Perez from DraftBreakdown.com names the three winners and three losers after Thursday, the last day of full-pad practices at the Senior Bowl.

Winners
▪ Tony Lippett, wide receiver, Michigan State

Bryan Perez: “I wasn’t sure what to expect from him coming into this week, but he’s got that really nice combination of size and quickness. He had cornerbacks turning around, tripping over their own feet. He did a really nice job creating separation in short areas.”

▪ Quinten Rollins, cornerback, Miami (OH)

Perez: “I think he showed a solid all-around game. He looks the part of a guy you can rely on, and he’s not gonna be somebody that costs you the game. He can play press, drop into zone, click and close. He had a really good day.”

▪ Clive Walford, tight end, Miami

Perez: “He has arguably had the best Senior Bowl of any position. He has continually been uncoverable.”

Losers
Vince Mayle, wide receiver, Washington State

Perez: “In terms of creating separation, he seemed a little tight in the hips, rounding off his routes, he looked a little underwhelmed. He didn’t excite me as much as I was hoping he would.”

Shane Carden, QB, East Carolina

Perez: “From a technical standpoint, his elongated release just won’t work in the league. The ball fluttered out of his hand and lacked any velocity. Poor ball placement. I really do hope I’m wrong, but he didn’t look the part of an NFL quarterback.”

The offensive tackle group

Perez: “I don’t think any one of them did anything to generate any kind of confidence. (T.J.) Clemmings has the physical makeup to be a top 10 guy. He was just extremely inconsistent, and I don’t think you can take a guy like that that high. Ty Sambrailo, his film shows a real physical, brawling player and just didn’t get it done. (La’El) Collins mauls people like a grizzly bear, but he couldn’t get his legs under him in Mobile.”

| Terez A. Paylor, tpaylor@kcstar.com

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article7998771.html

Memphis Ram

Legend
Senior Bowl 2015: Matt Miller's Scouting Notebook
By Matt Miller, NFL Draft Lead Writer Jan 23, 2015

January 21, 2015

The long wait is over. Senior Bowl week is here. After a week spent in sunny Mobile, Alabama, here are my notes from viewing practices and talking to players and scouts in attendance for the premier all-star game.

The Scout's Report
— The Cleveland Browns were very interested in Ole Miss cornerback Senquez Golson, and I've spoken with sources close to both sides who say they've spent a lot of time with him this week.

— The San Francisco 49ers need cornerback help, and Texas' Quandre Diggsis high on their list, per a team source.

— USC cornerback Josh Shawhad a good enough Shrine Game week that he was invited to Mobile for the Senior Bowl. My scouting sources tell me he's very coached up in interviews and isn't giving teams a real look at his personality and character.

— Washington linebacker Shaq Thompson has unique, rare athletic ability, and that has led to some teams suggesting he would be a better candidate at running back (a position he played some in college), per team sources.

— In talking to sources about the quarterback class, I've been told by several scouts that they don't have a top-100 grade on anyone other than Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota.

— Cincinnati linebacker Jeff Luc and Yale fullback Tyler Vargas both wowed during weigh-ins, but neither followed up with impressive play on the field. Luc is simply too stiff and doesn't play with functional strength, while Vargas isn't a true blocker at fullback.

— "You guys were way off on him," is how one scout put the media perception of Wisconsin tackle Rob Havenstein. He's right. Havenstein looks like a top-100 pick and starting-caliber right tackle.

— Washington nose tackle Danny Shelton was my top-ranked player at the Senior Bowl, and he lived up to expectations. Shelton was held and grabbed so much that by Thursday morning he no longer had numbers on his jersey.

— Iowa's Carl Davis made himself a lot of money this week, but UCLA's Owa Odighizuwa was the second-best riser on defense this week. He's explosive off the line, very long and has the agility to be a threat with a shoulder dip or hip roll.

— The small receiver dominated this week. You'll hear a lot about Phillip Dorsett, but I also liked Jamison Crowder (Duke), Tyler Lockett (Kansas State) and Justin Hardy (East Carolina).

Five Up, Five Down
Each week, "Five Up, Five Down" will monitor the movements of players on my draft board.

5. DT Carl Davis, Iowa

Iowa's Carl Davis entered the 2014 season as a potential Round 1 player, and he backed that up with an awesome performance each day in Mobile.

Davis' film was inconsistent at times, but he played with fire with the Tennessee Titans looking on. His pad level, first-step quickness and ability to find the football were all eye-opening. Davis' snaps became appointment-viewing.

4. The University of Miami

How did The U post just six wins in 2014?

Wide receiver Phillip Dorsett was the most impressive player at the position this week, tight end Clive Walford was the best at his spot, middle linebacker Denzel Perryman is the highest-ranked player in Mobile at his position and cornerback Ladarius Gunter was the most impressive outside cornerback.

Al Golden can recruit, but this showing by the former Miami players is putting his coaching skills into question.

The 2015 draft class is very good at edge-rusher, but after Bud Dupree (Kentucky) pulled out of the Senior Bowl, the top-end talent looked to be uncertain. Then Nate Orchard started practicing.

The Utah senior showed the same skills he used in dominating Andrus Peat of Stanford in their head-to-head matchup this season. He's able to convert speed to power and has the agility and flexibility to dip his shoulder and drive past blockers.

Orchard routinely beat up on T.J. Clemmings of Pitt.

2. OT Rob Havenstein, Wisconsin, and OG Laken Tomlinson, Duke

I wanted to highlight a few offensive linemen who really stood out this week. Wisconsin tackle Rob Havenstein played on the right side for the Badgers and showed an impressive array of agility, strength, technique and football IQ. You can tell he's been well coached and is NFL-ready.

Duke guard Laken Tomlinson is well-put-together, measuring in at 6'3 1/4" and 323 pounds. He's solid and very thick throughout his trunk. That size moves well when asked to pull, and he showed very good strength and anchoring skills in drills. He's a natural left guard.

1. ILB Jordan Hicks, Texas

A hip injury in 2012 and an Achilles injury in 2013 cut Jordan Hicks' time at Texas way down, but the athletic linebacker was the most impressive of all the inside linebackers here this week.

He's a naturally gifted athlete with the strength to fill against the run and the range to be a factor in pass coverage. Hicks looks like the new breed of agile, mobile inside linebackers who can stay on the field for three downs.

1. WR Ty Montgomery, Stanford

Drops, drops and more drops filled up my scouting notes on Ty Montgomery this week. He's not a refined or confident pass-catcher and fell out of too many routes. I even questioned his effort on passes over the middle during seven-on-seven drills and in team scrimmage sessions.

2. The Quarterbacks

Ugh. This was the worst group of senior quarterbacks I've seen during my time covering the Senior Bowl. All six quarterbacks struggled to make simple throws with ball placement, velocity and touch. Even simple things like taking the snap was a struggle.

I came into the week trying to separate Bryce Petty, Garrett Grayson and Shane Carden for my No. 4 quarterback spot and will go home even more unimpressed with the senior class of passers.

3. DE/LB Hau'oli Kikaha, Washington

Asking a defensive end to make the transition to a stand-up linebacker role is not easy, but Hau'oli Kikaha struggled to make plays in space all week. He wasn't explosive as a pass-rusher and did not impress in either individual or one-on-one drills.

He's a rusher only and looks like a liability in coverage and against the run.

4. WR Sammie Coates, Auburn, and WR Devin Smith, Ohio State

It was a tough week for the wide receivers in Mobile. With below-average quarterback play, it was tough for speedsters Sammie Coates and Devin Smith to wow scouts with their exceptional ability down the field.

Coates did play well in a red-zone drill Thursday afternoon, but both players were held back this week by situations in practice and poor quarterback play. Coates was not able to quiet concerns about his hands (he dropped too many easy passes), and Smith has yet to show he's more than just a deep threat.

5. OT T.J. Clemmings, Pitt

The hype surrounding T.J. Clemmings the athlete is real. He's long, lean and has very little softness to his body. But as a left tackle, Clemmings struggled this week. He's definitely a project more than a product at this stage of his development.

His punch needs work, and while his feet are very quick and fluid, he has to become a better puncher in pass protection and show more strength in the run game.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2337836-senior-bowl-2015-matt-millers-scouting-notebook

Memphis Ram

Legend
Senior Bowl: Listing Out 10 Prospects With Rising Stock After Mobile Performance
Friday, January 23, 2015 10:33 AM CST
By Dane Brugler

MOBILE, Ala. - The 2015 edition of the Senior Bowl will be played this Saturday, but the heavy lifting is already done as all 32 NFL teams were represented in Mobile this week to evaluate prospects during daily practices. The game itself, scheduled for 4 p.m. eastern on NFL Network, carries some value, but the majority of scouts and executives have already left town, having seen what they needed to see.

Below are 10 Senior Bowl prospects who opened eyes this week and helped themselves in the minds of NFL evaluators.

CB Kevin White, TCU

During practice drills, White displayed the athleticism needed for the position with natural movement skills, swivel hips and explosive footwork to redirect his momentum in any direction. Measuring 5-9 and 180 pounds with arms under the 30-inch benchmark, White doesn’t necessarily look the part, but he is a top-notch competitor who doesn’t back down physically, attacking the catch point with a “my ball” attitude.

DT Carl Davis, Iowa

After playing mostly a one-technique role for the Hawkeyes, Davis didn’t have too many splash plays on his college game film. But when put in one-on-one opportunities in Mobile, he was near unblockable, using his initial quickness, brute power and natural leverage to shine during drills. Davis was already considered a top-75 draft pick entering the week, but after this week, he might have cemented himself as a top-50 prospect.

WR Jamison Crowder, Duke

It can be tough for a 5-8, 174-pound wide receiver to stand tall in this type of all-star setting, but that’s exactly what Crowder did this week, showing the best combination of explosion and polish at the position. He has a tiny catching radius and small hands (8 3/8”), but caught everything thrown his way during drills, showing the ballskills and separation skills that will appeal to teams in search of an impact slot target.

DE/OLB Nate Orchard, Utah

Despite a record-setting senior season at Utah, Orchard wasn’t considered a first round pick entering the week and was far from being a top-100 lock. But he forced evaluators to take a second look after he routinely flashed during practices, winning with edge speed, long arms and active energy. Orchard has his limitations, but he also uses his bag of tricks to be effective, reinforcing that at times the end result is more important than the process.

DT Danny Shelton, Washington

Shelton entered the week with a good amount of hype and he lived up to the expectations, showing off rare movement skills for a 343-pound body. He also has the upper body power to match, but got away with bullying blockers in college and needs to develop his hand technique for the next level. As the week winds down, Shelton is the prevailing favorite to be the first player drafted from the Senior Bowl rosters.

CB Quinten Rollins, Miami (Ohio)

When small school and MAC prospects participate at the Senior Bowl, it’s easy to tell right away whether or not they belong. And Rollins belongs, competing with the best seniors in the country and holding his own. With only one year of experience at the position, he had his hiccups, but also displayed the recovery speed and twitchiness that cornerbacks need to be effective at the next level.

RB David Johnson, Northern Iowa

Looking like a linebacker during the weigh-ins, Johnson was another small school player who immediately proved that he belonged, especially as pass catcher out of the backfield. He doesn’t have the traditional frame for the position and might be best suited as a hybrid H-back role, utilizing his ability as a receiver and blocker in pass pro. But regardless, he’s a versatile prospect teams would love to add to the depth chart.

OT La’el Collins, LSU

Just like his game tape, it didn’t always look pretty for Collins in Mobile, but more often than not, he gets the job done. Seeing reps at tackle and guard, he showed the same grit and determination during drills that he does during games, extending and selling out on each snap. Collins will fall off balance and overextend himself at times, but he also showed that he can recover and finish his blocks. He reinforced the first round grades being thrown at him.

FB Jalston Fowler, Alabama

Although he’s tagged with the “fullback” label, Fowler showed that he’s much more than that. With only 12 carries as a senior for the Crimson Tide, he was an afterthought on that offense, but after seeing him during Senior Bowl practices, it was clear he was also underutilized. During drills, Fowler was quick through the hole with decisive quickness and the pop to brush off contact, keeping his feet and rumbling to the second level.

G/C Shaq Mason, Georgia Tech

It was easy to see Mason’s body control and quickness in Georgia Tech’s triple option offense, but it was near impossible to truly evaluate him until seeing him outside of that scheme. This week in Mobile provided scouts that opportunity to judge his talent in a pro-style look and Mason didn’t disappoint. He made the easy transition and even took some snaps at center, which might be his best NFL position.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...bpr=8824902&campaign=social_20150123_39291927

Memphis Ram

Legend
2015 SENIOR BOWL SCOUTING: INSIDE THE XOS FILM ROOM, WITH JOSH NORRIS
Posted by Eric Galko on Jan 23, 2015 08:10

After the dust settled from the final day of padded practices, I joined NBC draft analyst Josh Norris for a 2015 Senior Bowl scouting film session of the one-on-one drills from the past week. We looked at every one of the offensive line and defensive line battles, and also broke down a handful of the wide receiver and defensive back one-on-one’s.

Here’s a breakdown of prospects that stood out, for better or worse, during our film study.

By: Alex Brown

Pit Drills: Offensive Line vs Defensive Line

Offensive LineOne high profile prospect that disappointed was Pittsburgh’s T.J. Clemmings. Clemmings would stop his feet after initial contact and lose balance, or show his hands too early and expose himself to counter moves. There were even times where Clemmings was walked back into the pocket with a direct speed-to-power rush. When his punch lands on the defender, he doesn’t consistently gain a proper fit and is forced to lunge out of ideal positioning. He has to be more patient with his technique on pass sets to maximize his length advantage versus edge speed.

At offensive guard, Shaq Mason was downright impressive. His footwork was inconsistent at best to start the week, but he blocked from a more centered, secure base as the week wore on. He plays so low to the ground and has bullish strength to punch and sustain blocks. Seeing this type of development in pass protection is huge for a guard prospect that comes from a triple option offense.

Early in the week, Duke guard Laken Tomlinson had difficulty digging his feet in the ground to anchor the interior pocket. As he had more reps, Tomlinson showed improvements with his anchor and a natural ability to sink his lower half. He can bend in the ankles, hips and knees, enabling him to access his full lower body strength. Laterally, he also has the foot quicks to cut off inside counters.

Alabama guard Arie Kouandjio had issues early in the week with the quicks and bend of Clemson’s Grady Jarrett. He was slow to deliver a punch and simply not quick enough laterally to recover. When he does fire his hands out on time, Kouandjio can stalemate opposing rushers without issue. It’s quickness that gives Kouandjio fits and he’ll have to improve at firing his hands out faster.

I was pleased with the way Florida State’s Tre’ Jackson mirrored in one-on-one’s, sitting back patiently in his pass set and mirroring his opponent’s movements. He lacks elite power but is more than functionally strong enough to win at the next level. His balance, anchor set and footwork were all better than advertised.

The last prospect worth noting was Wisconsin’s Rob Havenstein. Despite being long-armed and massive on the right side, Havenstein too often allows rushers into his framework. As a result, he is constantly in a recovery position and walked backwards by much smaller defensive ends. He’s often too late to jab and extend on the edge, which negates the length advantage he possesses. He could be a much more effective pass protector, if he only understood his punch “strike zone.”

Defensive LineThe most effective pass rusher bar none was Stanford’s Henry Anderson. He calculated, sudden and multiple with his pass rush repertoire. Able to locate inside hand placement and press with power, or setup rip and swim moves, the Stanford defensive lineman won in a variety of ways. The only times he did not produce pressure, occurred when he lined up as a 7-technique DE and also when he tripped over the feet of a nearby offensive lineman. He’s a plus fit at the 5-technique or 3-technique, thanks to his refined hand usage.

As we watched players develop from day one to day three, Preston Smithlearned that his best (and only effective) move was to the inside with power. He’s too slow off the line and not bendy enough to get around the corner, but is extremely effective at finding inside hand positioning and jolting opposing blockers back into the passer’s lap. Smith has great tape as a sub-package 1-technique (shade nose tackle) and looks the part of a base end for 3-4 defenses. Having the ability to impact the game on passing downs with the bull rush and defend the run, Smith is a player that definitely deserves day two consideration.

Switching gears to a highly touted prospect, most people, including myself gave glowing reviews on Danny Shelton’s anchor and overall strength at the point of attack. Now while that power showed in the team setting, neither Josh nor myself saw Shelton display much development in terms of a pass rush. Only using a club move, Shelton could not locate break points to disengage and could not maintain rush lane integrity. We noted Shelton’s inability to work through double teams and the underlying issue with both concerns is hand usage.

UCLA’s Owamagbe Odighizuwa easily had the first step and suddenness among edge rushers here. His speed to power move was ferocious, and only La’el Collins could anchor down against “Diggy”. The problem we both saw during film study was Odighizuwa’s lack of self-awarenss. He needs to realize that his speed-to-power is his number one move and rely on that explosive power more often. He doesn’t need to waste his time with a speed rush and instead needs to play directly through his opponent.

One edge rusher that showed improvement and an ability to read the opposing offensive tackle’s pass set was Nate Orchard out of Utah. Capitalizing against the lack of technical refinement in T.J. Clemmings’ game, Orchard took the edge with speed and even walked the big Pitt tackle back into the pocket by converting speed-to-power moves. He has good, not great first step quickness but improved as the week went along. As far as edge rushers go, Orchard had one of the better weeks among Senior Bowl prospects.

On the interior, Clemson’s Grady Jarrett was really quick off the ball and able to play low to the ground with great lower half flexibility. He whipped Arie Kouandjio with his rip and step through move, and repeatedly did a nice job of crossing the blocker’s face to initiate a speed rush move from his 3-technique position. Jarrett did lean out over his toes and lose footing on a few reps, and was smothered by Kouandjio on the final day of practices, causing some concern over his lack of plus size. Still, he’s got a low center of gravity, twitched up movements, active hands and the ability to bend underneath blockers for leverage. He’s a disruptive cat that fits the bill as a one-gapping defensive tackle.

Passing Drills: One-on-One’s with Receivers and Defensive Backs

Wide ReceiversFirst off, it’s clear that Auburn’s Sammie Coates has elite length, speed and natural athletic ability. It was scary how fast Coates was able to eat up the cushion of off-man cover corners. He was running vertical routes at a different speed than the rest of the Senior Bowl receivers, and also dominated at the catch point during red zone drills. His evaluation is a difficult one, in that he isn’t a natural hands catcher and lacks clean route running technique. He’ll have to be taught how to run a route tree and is a bit of a one trick pony, but that one trick was tough to stop here in Mobile for the Senior Bowl.

A player I was too low on entering the event was Kansas State’s Tyler Lockett. He’s a fast, quick-footed and well-nuanced receiver that understands how to create consistent separation with his routes, but the concern going into the event was Lockett’s inability to catch the ball away from his frame. Cutting down on the drops this week and tracking downfield throws without issue, I was glad to see Lockett perform at such a high level. He’s a technician with obvious quickness and obvious limitations from a size perspective, but someone that an NFL team will want in their passing game.

Much the opposite of Lockett’s progression, Stanford’s Ty Montgomery showed more concerns than promise as we reviewed the tape. Ty could not track the deep ball and struggled to move fluidly through the route tree. He’s a package player that needs manufactured touches on returns, reverses and underneath crossers, and his saving grace is the ability to make plays when the ball is in his hands.

Last but not least, Central Arkansas’ Dezmin Lewis is a small school prospect you need to familiarize yourself with. Very fluid in and out of breaks, and gorgeously athletic at the catch point, Lewis moves so well for a 6’3 ½” 215 lbs. wide receiver. He showed he could win contested catches and that’s exactly what you want to see from a receiver with size and length.

Defensive BacksLooking at the cover corners, none moved better than Quinton Rollins andKevin White. Rollins lacks a refined skill set but showed he could pedal, halt his momentum and get back up to speed. He was burned vertically by Jamison Crowder early in the week, but continually improved the timing of his hip turn and overall feel for routes developing.

Kevin White moved extremely well and showcased the foot speed, downfield ball tracking skill and fluidity to win at the next level. On one play in particular, he read the receiver’s shallow crossing pattern, shifted his vision to the inside and was able to sift his way through a crowd of offensive receivers and defensive backs to stay in phase with the route. He is prone to flipping his hips open at the line of scrimmage and “running ahead of the receiver”, but I am going to have to look back at the TCU corner’s film.

Unfortunately, we weren’t able to watch all of the wide receiver and defensive back drills. For that reason, there’s more discussion here on offensive and defensive line play than the receivers and defensive backs. Thanks again for reading and following our practice notes from the 2015 Senior Bowl.

http://optimumscouting.com/draft/2015-senior-bowl-scouting-inside-xos-film-room-josh-norris.html