2015 Senior Bowl

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Comparing him to Stanton a good thing or bad thing? I agree with you on the comparison.

Depends on where you want to take him and what you expect out of him. If you consider him a Day 3 pick and want a talented backup...sure...a good thing. If you are expecting a franchise QB and a Day 2 or Day 1 pick...bad thing.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Depends on where you want to take him and what you expect out of him. If you consider him a Day 3 pick and want a talented backup...sure...a good thing. If you are expecting a franchise QB and a Day 2 or Day 1 pick...bad thing.

That's kinda how I feel. It's gonna take him a year to get up to speed. And after that every year he will be fighting off the 3rd string QB in camp, He's much better than Gilbert for sure. But then again with the right QB coach and scheme maybe he suprises.

As a late round flier I'm in providing there's not a better prospect on the board. I'd almost rather go the vet route as a backup if a guy doesn't have the ability to push a legit starter.

Memphis Ram

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Senior Bowl 2015: Draft Scouting and Observations from Day 2
By Matt Bowen, NFL National Lead Writer Jan 21, 2015

NFLdefensive back Matt Bowen will bring you his notes on some of the top prospects in the 2015 NFL draft. The game will take place Saturday, Jan. 24.

Day 2 Standout

Clive Walford, TE, Miami (FL)

Walford made himself some money on Tuesday by winning one-on-one situations and showcasing the ability to work the inside seam during practice. The 6’4”, 254-pound tight end has the athleticism to press a safety’s cushion, create leverage and then separate to go get the football. And he is very fluid after the catch.

I’m thinking of matchups with Walford where the tight end can work versus a linebacker underneath or run the intermediate concepts against a safety rolled down in coverage. That sells in today’s game for a tight end who can produce in the middle of the field and make plays inside the red zone.

Given the lack of top talent at the position in this year’s class, Walford is taking advantage of the opportunity in Mobile to put his skill set on display in front of the entire league. His draft stock should be on the rise. Great day of practice for the former Hurricane.

Stock Up

Here are five players who should draw NFL scouts’ attention after Tuesday’s practice sessions in Mobile, Alabama.

Nate Orchard, OLB, Utah

The ability to convert speed into power. That’s what I saw from Orchard during practice in both one-on-ones and team drills. At 6’3”, 251 pounds with 33” arms, the Utah product has the speed to turn the corner. But I was more impressed with his power at the point of attack.

The Senior Bowl roster isn’t loaded with edge-rushers, but I think Orchard could possibly play on the outside in a 3-4 as a rush ‘backer and then put his hand in the ground in the sub-packages (nickel/dime). The Utah product has good strength on the edge.

Ladarius Gunter, CB, Miami (FL)

Gunter displayed the best technique on the field Wednesday at the cornerback position during the South practice when looking at his footwork, hands and transition speed to break on the throw. The former Hurricane challenged receivers throughout the route, and I loved the way he finished on the ball.

Given his size (6”1”, 200 lbs), Gunter should be climbing up some draft boards because of his ability to play with leverage and compete at the point of attack. And the technique he showed Wednesday will allow Gunter to transition to the NFL game.

Tyler Lockett, WR, Kansas State

Speed from the slot. That’s tough on any secondary when a receiver can work a “two-way-go” on the release and then split a two-deep look down the field. Lockett has that vertical speed to blow the top off the secondary. Plus, the Kansas State wide receiver also brings that sudden burst to the field that allows him to set up defensive backs with a quick double move.

At 5’10”, 181 pounds, Lockett can be a valuable weapon for a team that needs to add some speed to the wide receiver position. Think of Lockett as a No. 3 who can work from inside the numbers to create explosive plays.

Carl Davis, DT, Iowa

Davis made my notes on Monday because of his ability to disrupt the run game and win during one-on-one matchups. And I think he was even better on Tuesday in full pads. Davis made multiple plays behind the line of scrimmage in team drills, and he was very active with his hands during pass-rush periods to get home.

Given his NFL size (6’4”, 321 lbs) and quickness off the ball, Davis has been the most productive interior defensive lineman in Mobile through the first two days of practice. The former Hawkeye is generating some serious buzz at the Senior Bowl.

Danny Shelton, NT, Washington

There were some questions on Shelton’s conditioning level toward the end of Monday’s session as he struggled to play with a low pad level. However, the nose tackle had a much better day on Tuesday coming off the ball and using his enormous size (6”1”, 343 lbs) to take on double-teams and generate a push at the point of attack.

Given the need for defensive tackles who can play the nose in a 3-4 front, I can see why there is so much talk down here regarding Shelton. He has the size and power to eat up blockers while creating space for linebackers to flow to the ball.

Stock Down

Here are five players who need to improve their performances on the field after the second day of practice.

Bryce Petty, QB, Baylor

Petty hasn’t been disappointing, but I was expecting much more from the Baylor product given the lack of talent at the quarterback position in this year’s class. After Florida State’s Jameis Winston and Oregon’s Marcus Mariota, there is a substantial drop-off to the next tier of passers in the draft.

This was an opportunity for Petty to claim that spot as the No. 3 or No. 4 quarterback to come off the board. Plus, with UCLA’s Brett Hundley declining the Senior Bowl invite, the stage was set for Petty to stand out. I haven’t seen enough from Petty to separate him from the group of quarterbacks down here in Mobile.

Ty Sambrailo LT, Colorado State

Sambrailo struggled with his footwork during Tuesday’s session. I would describe it as “choppy” when the Colorado State product kicked-back off the line. This is where he has to win with his initial punch given his lack of fluid movement.

A player with average strength, Sambrailo (6’6”, 307 lbs) needs to develop his footwork and stay square at the point of attack. This will allow him to win more one-on-one matchups.

Ty Montgomery, WR, Stanford

Too many drops. That’s the No. 1 thing I see with Montgomery. And without the top-end speed to consistently separate from defensive backs, the Stanford product has to start making clean grabs when he is targeted in team drills and during individual periods.

Montgomery needs to show more consistency, and I’m still waiting for him to flash on the field. Let’s see if Montgomery can finish plays on Thursday and show some explosive ability at the wide receiver position.

T.J. Clemmings, LT, Pitt

Clemmings has first-round ability because of his footwork and athleticism at the tackle position. He can kick-back and handle speed off the edge. However, he doesn’t have the strongest punch at the point of attack.

The talent is there with Clemmings. No question about that. But we have to remember that he is still developing. Plus he can add some size to his frame (6’5”, 307 lbs). I think Clemmings is a little light at this point.

Ben Koyack, TE, Notre Dame

Koyack doesn’t have the matchup ability when compared to Walford, and I don’t see a tight end who can put stress of safeties in man coverage. As I said above, this tight end class isn’t very strong, and Koyack hasn’t stood out on the practice field in one-on-ones or seven-on-seven drills.

The seam and the corner route. Two concepts that have to be in the game plan for every team in the league when trying to work the ball to the tight ends. With Koyack, can he separate and make plays on those routes when matched up versus quality NFL safeties?

Day 2 Notes

—The South squad has a solid safety combo in Cody Prewitt (Ole Miss) and Anthony Jefferson (UCLA). Both players can roll to the middle of the field, drop down in the box and get off the numbers in Cover 2.

—Minnesota running back David Cobb has the edge in pass protection when compared to Nebraska’s Ameer Abdullah.

—Wide receiver Jamison Crowder (5’8”, 174 lbs) isn’t going to create separation at the top of the route stem using his body. However, when the Duke product can generate leverage off the release, he has the acceleration and playmaking ability to produce after the catch.

—Keep an eye on Miami of Ohio cornerback Quinten Rollins (5’11”, 193 lbs). The former basketball player (with only one year of football experience) is a very fluid athlete. His technique needs to improve, but the skill set is there to develop at the pro level.

—Accuracy and ball placement was an issue with the quarterbacks during the South-squad session. Too many balls thrown to the back shoulder of receivers on inside breaking cuts. That has to improve.

—Duke offensive guard Laken Tomlinson is a player I want to watch on tape. At 6’3”, 323 pounds, he has a strong punch at the point of attack. Physical player.

—Miami linebacker Denzel Perryman didn’t practice Wednesday due to an injury, but I think he is a solid second-round prospect who can play in both the base and sub-packages at the next level.

—I still don’t have a great feel for Auburn wide receiver Sammie Coates. Can he run the 9-route and the dig? Yes. But I want to see more of that explosive play ability.

—Small-school offensive tackle Ali Marpet (Hobart College) was generating some buzz Wednesday during one-on-ones and team drills.

—With both squads in full pads, the competition level dramatically increased during 9-on-7 inside run drill. And the Power O (fullback kick-out, backside guard pull) was on display. Downhill football with nowhere to hide. I could watch that all day.

—NFL scouts told me to focus on Mississippi State defensive end Preston Smith (6’5”, 270 lbs). He has length (34” inch arms) and power to win on the edge.

—Quarterback Sean Mannion threw the best ball of the day versus Cover 3 on the “sail” combo (9-corner-flat). The Oregon State quarterback dropped the ball right over the top of the strong safety to hit the tight end on the corner route.

—Miami wide receiver Phillip Dorsett continues to impress on the practice field. There is very little wasted movement when he accelerates out of his breaks.

—Special teams drills don’t draw a crowd in Mobile. But for many of these prospects, this is how they will earn a paycheck as a rookie while they develop at the pro level. Technique, the ability to play in space and open-field tackling. It’s all there in the kicking game.

—I can’t figure out how Miami went 6-7 on the season…these former Hurricanes came to play this week in Mobile. A lot of speed. And a lot of talent.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...15-draft-scouting-and-observations-from-day-2

Memphis Ram

Legend
The Director's Report
Greg Gabriel's notes from Mobile.

JANUARY 21, 2015, 08:15 AM EST

This is the 31st straight year that I have attended the Senior Bowl. When I was a young scout, it was the premier all-star game and you had a chance to see at least half of the first round practicing for a week. While it is still the premier game, the overall talent level isn’t what it used to be. There are still many of the top seniors in this year’s class, but with over 100 underclassmen in the 2014 draft, that stripped this year’s class of many of the top players. The same thing will hold true for next year as there are over 80 players with eligibility in this year’s draft. In addition, over 25 players (for various reasons) turned down an opportunity to play in this game. Some couldn’t play because of a serious injury late in the season. That group included Oregon corner Ifo Ekpre-Olomu.

Others that could have played in the game but turned down the chance were players like Vic Beasly from Clemson, A.J. Cann from South Carolina, Cam Irving from Florida State and Bud Dupree from Kentucky. One of the top linebackers in this draft also declined to play and that is Eric Kendricks from UCLA. Top receivers like Kevin White from West Virginia and DeVante Parker form Louisville also declined invitations. In the last few years, the NFL has allowed the senior bowl to invite underclassmen who graduated before they used up their eligibility to play in the game. This year that group included Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota and UCLA quarterback Ricky Hundley. Last week, Hundley declined his invitation, and it wasn’t until over the weekend that Mariota decided not to play. Having just finished his college season last week, I can’t blame Mariota for opting out.

That said, there are still over 100 players in attendance and trying to perform well for the hundreds of scouts, coaches and front office staff form all 32 NFL teams as well and many scouts from the CFL. This year, the schedule was pushed back a day with the official weigh in yesterday morning and the first practices Tuesday afternoon. In essence, that gives scouts one less day to observe the more intense practices, and on Thursday, the practices will start to scale down with the game being played on Saturday. The best practices of the week, as far as contact goes, will be today.

Some players who caught my eye at the North squad practice on offense Tuesday afternoon were Duke wide receiver Jamison Crowder, Yale running back Tyler Varga, Hobart offensive lineman Ali Marpet and Nebraska running back Ameer Abdullah.

Crowder isn’t big at 5081 – 174 and has small hands (8 3/8), but he is lightning quick and very difficult to cover one on one. He is a quick cutter who is very quick getting in and out of cuts and is able to get instant separation. Though he has small hands, he caught the ball very well. With his size, he will need to be a slot receiver. In the late 80’s or early 90’s when I was with the Giants, we had a very similar receiver who was very productive for us. The receiver’s name was Stephen Baker (the touchdown maker) from Fresno State.

Ali Marpet is from Division III Hobart. Many times when you get a Division III player in this type of game, they look out of place. That was not the case with Marpet. He has good size at 6036 – 307 and is fairly athletic. Though he is raw from a technique point of view, he was able to hold his own physically against the D-I players.

If they had an award for the best physique at the game, Yale running back Tyler Varga may have won it. The Ivy League running back is a very solid 5102 – 227 with virtually no body fat. In practice, Varga showed quick feet and very good body control. He caught the ball very well and has a nice burst after the catch. When running with the ball he stays low and has good vision. Varga is from Canada, and there are some CFL teams here who were hoping he didn’t stand out. One told me after the North practice “we have no chance at him now”. That said, it remains to be seen if he stays in the NFL very long. Varga is an excellent student in the pre-med program at Yale.

Ameer Abdullah doesn’t have great size at 5082 – 198 but he is very quick and strong. He has outstanding balance and excellent vision on the move. He reminds me of two former great Buffalo Bills' running backs (Thurman Thomas and Joe Cribbs). If he turns out like either, some NFL club will have themselves a great back. Everyone I talk to raves about Abdullah's character.

While I spent most of my time watching offense, two defensive lineman did jump out at me. Washington defensive tackle Danny Shelton is a load. At 6016, 346 he is a huge, wide body. In one-on-one drills, he showed excellent initial quickness and quick hands. Every time I saw him take a rep he was able to shed the block very quickly to get penetration. He is an ideal nose in a three-man front.

Some scouts knocked Iowa defensive tackle Carl Davis for his consistency during the season. Yesterday, he showed very good athleticism and strength. He is a huge man at 6045 – 321 and light on his feet. Like Shelton, he was a load to block in one on one drills. He has the size and athleticism to play in a three or four man front and an interesting guy to track during the week.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Senior-Bowl-Notebook-Day-1.html

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Deion Barnes/DL/Penn State – It’s been a struggle for Barnes almost every day. When lined up at defensive end he's easily neutralized by blockers and Barnes looks unnatural and indecisive standing up over tackle.

Barnes decision to enter the draft early was a real head scratcher for most of us PSU fans. Barnes flashed skill at times but never struck me as an NFL DE. He is too light and weak his only game is speed.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Hardy offers a lot of what Jarvis Landry offered last year...but he's a little more athletic without quite as dominant of hands(hands are still great, though). Will be a productive slot WR in the NFL.

I'm not an Anthony fan. LBs aren't my forte but when I watched him on film, he looked soft to me. Didn't get off blocks. Can run but he's big and stiff. Great blitzer. I wasn't blown away. Didn't see a special player. I liked Taiwan Jones from Michigan State a lot more. Taiwan's not quite as fast and has the same stiffness but he's a tank out there. Runs through blocks. He was stacking and shedding OGs in the hole and at the second level. Really jolts his guy on impact. A bit limited in coverage but a great thumper type.

With Anthony, he's a big guy that's decent in coverage and a good blitzer but I just don't see the ability as a run defender to make him a quality starter in the NFL.

Involves his head in his punch in pass pro(opens him up to swim moves and can get him off balance)
Punch timing and placement are inconsistent(hands are often late or early...still learning timing...and he needs to lock on to the chestplate...strong grip but too often is content brawling with the DE)
Will overset at times when facing talented rushers(opens him up to inside counter moves and can get him caught off balance if the DE catches him at the right moment)
Occasionally gets too high in his pass pro setup(can open him up to the bullrush especially when he's early with his punch and doesn't protect his chest)
Too aggressive at times in the run game(needs to play under control...can miss blocks in the open field or on the second level and can lead to him failing to sustain a block that he was dominating on because he got too far ahead of himself)
Overextends himself at times in the run game(treats it like pass pro...needs to lock on, body the defender, and bury him instead of keeping him at arm's length)

All things we knew coming in. They aren't going to change over night.

He's raw. We knew that coming in. The thing about Clemmings isn't where he's at now. It's where he can go from here. Watch him at the start of 2013. Watch him at the start of 2014. Then watch him in the last few games of 2014. The guy has improved significantly...not just from 2013 but from the start of this year. He gets better with every snap. You're not taking him for what he is now. You're taking him for what he'll be down the road.

The point of the Senior Bowl for a guy like Clemmings isn't for him to win every snap and every match-up. He's not going to do that. He's not polished enough yet. The point of the Senior Bowl for him was to show NFL evaluators the tools he has to work with and that he's capable of taking coaching over the week, applying it to his game, and improving. That's all he needs to do.

The kid wasn't going to come in and be Joe Thomas. He wasn't that on film. The issues he had on film are all things being pointed out now. And it's not surprising. But the things Clemmings is trying to sell teams on are his ability to grow from where he is now and that he has the physical tools to be a great LT in the NFL.

Coming in at 6'5" 307 with nearly 35 inch arms and large hands was a good start. And it seems from everything I've read, he's showing off the tools I saw on film...easy movement skills, great balance, powerful hands, and overwhelming strength.

I hope that explains to some that are wondering why the Senior Bowl isn't deterring me.

I am not saying that he cannot become a very good Tackle. I think at this point in the Rams development a project at ORT is not a healthy thing. Do they draft him and let him sit and learn while they play a Barksdale or lesser FA if Barksdale leaves? Or do they just resign Barksdale and move Saffold to ORG next to him and draft a true Guard that has an NFL ready game and NFL ready body.

Does Fisher/Snead let Barksdale walk and plug Clemmings into ORT and risk getting Bradford killed?

I realize that the rookie salary cap has made taking ORTs high less of a risk but still most teams plan to use a guy like Clemmings at OLT down the road once he develops like Peters did.

I think getting a dominant Center and good OLG would be a bigger improvement on the OLine for the team as it stands now. If the QB position gets ironed out they could be a playoff team next season.

I guess it all depends on how fast Snead and Fisher think he can develop but right now, I am guessing that Clemmings does not go top ten and if the Rams sit at 10 and make their pick he wont be it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
—I can’t figure out how Miami went 6-7 on the season…these former Hurricanes came to play this week in Mobile. A lot of speed. And a lot of talent.

Maybe Al Golden and his staff are not that good at developing or taking advantage of their talent. I know Miami fans are not happy with the coordinators.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bryce Petty showing exactly why I like him. Hitting on the mid and long throws, struggling with the short stuff. Short stuff is easy fix with time and coaching, its a technique thing. I'd love to see his number called in round 3, heck even 2

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Involves his head in his punch in pass pro(opens him up to swim moves and can get him off balance)
Punch timing and placement are inconsistent(hands are often late or early...still learning timing...and he needs to lock on to the chestplate...strong grip but too often is content brawling with the DE)
Will overset at times when facing talented rushers(opens him up to inside counter moves and can get him caught off balance if the DE catches him at the right moment)
Occasionally gets too high in his pass pro setup(can open him up to the bullrush especially when he's early with his punch and doesn't protect his chest)
Too aggressive at times in the run game(needs to play under control...can miss blocks in the open field or on the second level and can lead to him failing to sustain a block that he was dominating on because he got too far ahead of himself)
Overextends himself at times in the run game(treats it like pass pro...needs to lock on, body the defender, and bury him instead of keeping him at arm's length)

All things we knew coming in. They aren't going to change over night.

He's raw. We knew that coming in. The thing about Clemmings isn't where he's at now. It's where he can go from here. Watch him at the start of 2013. Watch him at the start of 2014. Then watch him in the last few games of 2014. The guy has improved significantly...not just from 2013 but from the start of this year. He gets better with every snap. You're not taking him for what he is now. You're taking him for what he'll be down the road.

The point of the Senior Bowl for a guy like Clemmings isn't for him to win every snap and every match-up. He's not going to do that. He's not polished enough yet. The point of the Senior Bowl for him was to show NFL evaluators the tools he has to work with and that he's capable of taking coaching over the week, applying it to his game, and improving. That's all he needs to do.

The kid wasn't going to come in and be Joe Thomas. He wasn't that on film. The issues he had on film are all things being pointed out now. And it's not surprising. But the things Clemmings is trying to sell teams on are his ability to grow from where he is now and that he has the physical tools to be a great LT in the NFL.

Coming in at 6'5" 307 with nearly 35 inch arms and large hands was a good start. And it seems from everything I've read, he's showing off the tools I saw on film...easy movement skills, great balance, powerful hands, and overwhelming strength.

I hope that explains to some that are wondering why the Senior Bowl isn't deterring me.

Good observations & comments here jrry32, I continue to vacuum up all info I can read & see on Clemmings too. To write Clemmings off the Rams radar range with that first selection would be a big mistake IMO.

Rams still have the option of inserting Clemmings into the Davin Joseph OL post. IMO its an upgrade that will pay big dividends. Saffold could man the ORT post in 2015 until Clemmings is ready to handle the ORT duties. In time I feel conformable that he can be what the Rams need @ ORT. Plus as he learns the NFL he can be the swing OT too.

I am not saying that he cannot become a very good Tackle. I think at this point in the Rams development a project at ORT is not a healthy thing. Do they draft him and let him sit and learn while they play a Barksdale or lesser FA if Barksdale leaves? Or do they just resign Barksdale and move Saffold to ORG next to him and draft a true Guard that has an NFL ready game and NFL ready body.

Does Fisher/Snead let Barksdale walk and plug Clemmings into ORT and risk getting Bradford killed?

I realize that the rookie salary cap has made taking ORTs high less of a risk but still most teams plan to use a guy like Clemmings at OLT down the road once he develops like Peters did.

I think getting a dominant Center and good OLG would be a bigger improvement on the OLine for the team as it stands now. If the QB position gets ironed out they could be a playoff team next season.

I guess it all depends on how fast Snead and Fisher think he can develop but right now, I am guessing that Clemmings does not go top ten and if the Rams sit at 10 and make their pick he wont be it.

I chimed in on your questions about Clemmings hope you don't mind....with some of my thoughts Elmgrovegnome. I think adding a TJ Clemmings would be a great start on day one of the draft. But certainly not the only OL post to get an upgrade. I see no dominant OC's in this draft just some good ones.

I do see some excellent OLG's that will be available with our 2nd [#41] & 3rd [#72] round selections. I watched a very nice OG last week in John miller who could be a 3rd rd selection. OLG Laken Tomilinson looks to be working himself up the draft boards where he has been slated to be a 3 or 4th rd'er now looks like a sure 2nd round candidate. You could also throw in another ORT candidate in the 5th rd. like Donovan Smith.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bryce Petty showing exactly why I like him. Hitting on the mid and long throws, struggling with the short stuff. Short stuff is easy fix with time and coaching, its a technique thing. I'd love to see his number called in round 3, heck even 2

Ehhhh...gotta disagree with that.

And that's what I like about the guys in charge. They don't seem to let that stop them. You gotta draft with an eye towards the future. A lot more weight has to be put on what they'll be down the line over what they'll be in their first...or even second year.

If you think Clemmings is great down the line, you draft him. Well, I'd draft him.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Norris: Senior Bowl Day 2
Thursday, January 22, 2015

Prospects have cemented their status this week more than emerged from obscurity. For that reason, I have mainly stuck with my pre-event top 20 of those attending. There will be a few minor changes in the review piece, but here is how I listed them on Sunday:

1. T La’El Collins, LSU

2. T T.J. Clemmings, Pitt

3. EDGE Hau’oli Kikaha, Washington

4. DL Preston Smith, Miss State

5. DL Henry Anderson, Stanford

6. DL Danny Shelton, Washington

7. CB Quinten Rollins, Miami (OH)

8. RB David Cobb, Minnesota

9. EDGE Owamagbe Odighizuwa, UCLA

10. CB Kevin White, TCU

11. WR Tony Lippett, Michigan State

12. WR Jamison Crowder, Duke

13. G Shaq Mason, Georgia Tech

14. G Arie Kouandjio, Alabama

15. T Ty Sambrailo, Colorado St

16. RB Ameer Abdullah, Nebraska

17. DL Carl Davis, Iowa

18. CB Senquez Golson, Ole Miss

19. TE Ben Koyack, Notre Dame

20. S Jaquiski Tartt, Samford

This mid-week review will feature two videos. First, Paul Burmeister and I analyzing the weeks La’El Collins, T.J. Clemmings, Danny Shelton and Jamison Crowder have out together.

Can La’El stay on the left side and at tackle? I absolutely think so. Crowder first the theme of the 2015 Senior Bowl: “Small” WRs who win “Big.”

Next, Paul asked about my ranking of Marcus Mariota over Jameis Winston (albeit barely since the duo are No. 1 and No. 2 overall at the top). Then we transitioned over to No. 3 QB talk. I am practically alone in saying Blake Simsgets the nod at three, but I still would not select him until the third day. Brett Hundley’s name then is brought up, since most place him as the third passer in this class.

The next piece will likely be video heavy, and then a review will be posted this weekend. Thank you all so much for reading and watching.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/51782/351/norris-senior-bowl-day-2

Memphis Ram

Legend
2015 Senior Bowl: Utah's Nate Orchard blooming for North
By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

January 22, 2015 2:07 pm ET

img24984027.jpg

Utah defensive end Nate Orchard gets in the grill of Delaware tight end Nick Boyle. (USATSI)

Given that he won the Ted Hendricks Award as the nation's top defensive end and the Morris Trophy as the Pac-12's best defensive lineman, it would be hard to characterize Utah's Nate Orchard as underrated. Still, his performance this week at the Senior Bowl is turning skeptics into believers.

Thursday's practice was a perfect example.

When the Tennessee Titans elected to use Orchard as a pass rusher, the 6-foot-3, 251- pounder was a constant thorn in the side of opposing offensive linemen and the skill position players they're attempting to protect.

Using a variety of pass rush moves -- including a varied burst off the ball, over-arm swim and very effective bull-rush, Orchard consistently beat the North's tackles in one-on-one drills and was even more noticeable in scrimmages, tracking down Washington State wideoutVince Mayle for a big loss on an end-around, recording an interception of Baylor's Bryce Petty on a screen pass and consistently applying pressure as a rusher.

Orchard, who was recruited to Utah as a wide receiver, doesn't possess ideal bulk for the 4-3 defensive end role in which he's likely to play in the NFL. He has relatively narrow shoulders and relies more on technique and awareness than an explosive speed or power. He has reasonable body control for a player of his size but is clearly more comfortable rushing than he is dropping into coverage, as he was often asked to do in linebacker drills.

Because of these limitations, Orchard could get pushed into the draft's second day despite his stellar production (84 tackles including 21.5 tackles for loss and 18.5 sacks in 2014) and impressive week in Mobile. Don't be surprised, however, when Orchard ultimately out-plays his draft pick and blossoms into a quality pass-rusher in the NFL.

Among other highlights from Thursday's North practice:

Orchard is technically listed as an outside linebacker for the North, which is good because the rest of the unit hasn't been nearly as impressive. Washington's Hau'oli Kikaha, like Orchard, is much better rushing the passer than he is in coverage, where his lack of balance and fluidity are readily apparent. Hayes Pullard tipped a pass in the end zone that resulted in an interception by fellow Trojan Josh Shaw, but other than this, his greatest contribution has been as an explosive downhill hitter in run support. While full-on tackling is not allowed in practice, Pullard has consistently rocked fullbacks and pulling guards on his way to "tapping" the ball-carrier. This is the area in which Cincinnati's Leff Luc has excelled, as well, though the muscle-bound 6-foot, 263 pounder has struggled moving laterally and may not possess the straight-line speed to beat backs to the edge. Each look like traditional two-down Mike linebackers at the next level and Day Three prospects at that.

Texas' Jordan Hicks, on the other hand, has shown an intriguing blend of size (6-foot-1 1/2, 241 pounds) and athleticism. He has the speed to meet backs on the perimeter and has enough agility and recognition for coverage responsibilities. Hicks has also shown some physicality in Mobile after generally relying on his athleticism at Texas.

Prior to the start of practice, scouts were notified that a handful of players would not be participating due to injury. Michigan State running back Jeremy Langford was among them, giving his fellow former Big Ten backs Ameer Abdullah (Nebraska) and David Cobb(Minnesota) plenty of opportunity to demonstrate their very different skill sets. The 5-8, 198-pound Abdullah is the most exciting runner participating in the Senior Bowl, routinely dazzling with his natural elusiveness and acceleration. When given a crease Wednesday, he zipped through the line of scrimmage, leaving the North's slow-footed linebackers in his wake. At a shade under 5-foot-11 and 229 pounds, Cobb is a much more physical, churning his legs through contact to finish runs. Not surprisingly, he was also the North's stoutest pass-blocking during blitz pick-up drills. Cobb also caught the ball well out of the backfield.

At a chiseled 5-foot-10, 227 pounds, Yale's Tyler Varga did a nice job of picking up blitzers, himself, including when asked to play fullback. On the few opportunities in which he was given the ball, Varga also showed a nice burst through the line of scrimmage, as well as the balance and body control to spin off contact and keep running forward.

Though I focused on the linebackers and running backs throughout most of Thursday's practice, Northwestern safety Ibraheim Cambell made a couple of impressive plays in coverage that caught my eye. The 5-foot-11 1/2, 210-pounder showed good range and hand-eye coordination to recover and slap away a deep pass in the end zone early in practice. Later in the day, he intercepted Oregon State's Sean Mannion, as well.

In years past, Thursday practices were a glorified walk-through. With the practice week pushed back to Tuesday this year, however, Thursday provided scouts with a rare third day of full hitting. Most scouts will leave Mobile today or early Friday with the anticipation that Friday's practice will be a walk-through without pads to help players recover in time for Saturday's game.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...or-bowl-utahs-nate-orchard-blooming-for-north

Memphis Ram

Legend
Mayock: T.J. Clemmings losing buzz as potential top-10 pick
  • 0ap1000000217563.jpg
  • By Mike Huguenin
  • College Football 24/7 writer
  • Published: Jan. 22, 2015 at 05:27 p.m.
  • Updated: Jan. 22, 2015 at 05:56 p.m.
Pittsburgh offensive tackle T.J. Clemmings was a fast climber on most draft boards this season. Iowa defensive tackle Carl Davis, meanwhile, seemingly regressed a bit on the field. But they have had different results at the Reese's Senior Bowl this week.

» Sources Tell Us: What we're hearing about Senior Bowl prospects
NFL Media analysts say Clemmings (6-foot-5, 307 pounds) has struggled and Davis (6-4 1/2, 321) has impressed.

Analyst Mike Mayock said during the NFL Network's coverage of Senior Bowl practices Thursday that going into the week, he had Clemmings as a potential top-10 sleeper pick. That's not the case anymore for Mayock. Clemmings has played just two seasons on the offensive line and both were at right tackle; still, there was a thought he could play left tackle.

Mayock said Clemmings is "still raw" and has "struggled in pass protection" during drills this week. But Mayock said the issues were "technique-related," and those are correctable. Remember that Clemmings never has played left tackle, and getting your first reps at left tackle at the Senior Bowl can be daunting.

Davis had a strong junior season and was expected to truly blossom as a senior. But he didn't consistently flash in 2014, and in some games, he was overshadowed by fellow tackleLouis Trinca-Pasat, who also is at the Senior Bowl. But analyst Daniel Jeremiah said Davis definitely has helped himself this week.

"You know he can play the run," said Jeremiah, who noted that Davis showed more up-the-field quickness than expected this week.

One reason for that is that Iowa's defense is predicated on its linebackers making a lot of plays, meaning it's the job of the defensive tackles to take on double teams and open up things for the linebackers. Davis is known for his strength -- he holds the school record for a "hang clean" by a defensive tackle at 415 pounds - - but the quickness he showed this week should help his draft status.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...clemmings-losing-buzz-as-potential-top10-pick

Memphis Ram

Legend
Scout’s Eye: More Notes From Senior Bowl Practices; Standouts From The North Team
Thursday, January 22, 2015 5:05 PM CST
broaddus-twitter-small.jpg

By Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout

IRVING, Texas – We’re back from the Reese’s Senior Bowl practices in Mobile, Ala., but I’ve only just begun to break down the prospects we watched there.

Here are some of my refined impressions from watching the North squad practice this week. I’ll have notes on the South squad on Friday.
  • As this draft process starts out, keep an eye on Stanford’s defensive end, Henry Anderson. He wasn’t a player that was initially on my radar before I made the trip to Mobile, but after studying his work from the practices, I have to admit he got my attention.

At 6-6, 287, he might be more of an end in a 3-4 defense than an edge rusher in a 4-3. But what I liked about the player was his ability to come off the ball and use his hands to control the blocker. There were several snaps in the one-on-one pass rush drills where he was able to fire those hands inside, grab the blocker and disengage to get up the field. Anderson also plays with some surprising power to the point where he is driving the blocker back into the quarterback.

He managed to play this way with Jamal Douglas and Robert Myers when they tried to sit down on him. Later in the drill, Anderson lined up on the outside shoulder of center Max Garcia and quickly beat him to his snapping hand to gain a pressure. There were no negative plays from him in the opportunities that I saw.

My experience in going to these Senior Bowl practices tells me that there will be times when coaches would like to see a player move from his natural, college position to one that might better suit him in the NFL game.

• Last year, Michael Sam worked as an outside linebacker and it didn’t go well for him in that look. This year there are a couple of different players that fit this bill in Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall at corner and Harvard’s Zack Hodges at outside linebacker.

The player I want to focus on is Hodges, who played as a defensive end for the Crimson. At 6-2, 245, he might not have the ideal weight as, say Nate Orchard or Markus Golden, but in studying his game tape from Harvard he can bring the same amount of pressure off the edge. I was surprised by how well Hodges was able to move in space while dropping in coverage but also how well he reacted out of the drop.

The only fault that I observed in his coverage was there was a lack of feel in the way he covered, and what I mean is when the receiver took him up the field he just wasn’t near enough to feel when the receiver was breaking the route off. This is more about a lack of experience than it was bad technique. I could see a team using Hodges as a strong side linebacker in a base defense, then having him put his hand on the ground and rush out of the nickel.

During these North practices there was plenty of focus on Miami-Ohio’s cornerback Quintin Rollins, and rightfully so -- but the smart scouts also had an eye on Quandre Diggs out of Texas.

• At 5-9, 196, might not have the ideal height, but he is extremely solid at that weight. What caught my attention was the way that Diggs was able to, no matter what receiver he was covering, keep an ideal position. Diggs was able to carry receivers not only on the outside, but there was a snap or two where he shifted inside and ran with the receiver out of the slot.

In the one-on-one period with the receivers, the offensive coaches tried to hit him on a vertical “9” route with Devin Smith, but he was able to stay with him and later in the period they tested him across the field and not only did he play the route well but was able to knock the ball away.

I am looking forward to getting the opportunity of studying Diggs’ work from his season with the Longhorns to determine where he falls on this board. First impressions were very good.

• http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...es-senior-bowl-practices-standouts-north-team

Memphis Ram

Legend
2015 SENIOR BOWL SCOUTING: THURSDAY SOUTH PRACTICE NOTES
Posted by Eric Galko on Jan 22, 2015 17:50

Thursday marked the final day of padded practices here at the Senior Bowl and here were the winners from the 2015 Senior Bowl Scouting for the South squad: Sammie Coates, Arie Kouandjio, Owamagbe Odighizuwa, Stephone Anthony, D’Joun Smith and Kevin White. Our scouts split up the position groups, with Alex Brown writing on the skill players and Ian Wharton focusing on the trench battles.

Quarterbacks-It was more of the same with the South team quarterbacks. Colorado State’s Garrett Grayson made better decisions and located more touch throws in the redzone than the other two passers, but continued to lack any sort of deep ball accuracy. Grayson, Blake Sims and Bryan Bennett all had their fair share of missed reads and missed throws in this practice.

Running BacksNorthern Iowa running back David Johnson had a good showing. He’s not a shifty back, so his carries might be limited at the next level. But, he’s strong and a great third down player. He is a weapon for an offense and compares favorably to Miami Dolphins hybrid TE/H-Back Charles Clay, who ran the ball at Tulsa but excelled as a pass catcher.

Wide Receivers-Auburn receiver Sammie Coates looks like a man amongst boys here at the Senior Bowl. Able to blow by off-man cornerbacks on vertical patterns and finish back shoulder receptions in the redzone, Coates consistently won his one-on-one matchups. He tripped over his own feet on one slant pattern and dropped an easy crossing route over the middle, but dominated the South cornerbacks for most of the afternoon.

-Miami speedster Philip Dorsett moves exceptionally well and has an extra gear to win downfield, however, he had difficulty fighting through the physicality of cornerbacks like D’Joun Smith and Kevin White. Dorsett needs to improve on using his hands to avoid contact on in-breaking patterns, particularly when asked to run slant routes.

-Tyler Lockett also made plays during the final practice, capping off a solid week of practices. Lockett’s foot quickness at the line and refined routes make him a very difficult cover. Still, he doesn’t have the size or length to recover from effective hand checks downfield. He’s ideally suited to play in the slot and caught the ball much more cleanly than he did as a senior at Kansas State.

-I thought Rannell Hall tracked the football beautifully on back shoulder fades and sideline targets, finishing a handful of difficult receptions along the back pylon. He’s a “loud catcher” that lets throws into his framework and doesn’t consistently extend for the football, but showed he could smoothly adjust to off-target throws.
Tight Ends-BYU’s Devin Mahina doesn’t threaten defenses vertically whatsoever, but did use his big body to position and shield off safeties during one-on-one drills. He looks like a third tight end that can serve as an underneath outlet and develop into a blocking reserve tight end.

-Much more natural at tracking downfield throws, Auburn TE C.J. Uzomah made a few nice grabs away from his body. He possesses the ball skills and movements to grade out as a flex tight end, and reminds me of the athletic tight ends produced at Missouri in recent drafts –Michael Egnew (2012) and Chase Coffman (2009). Uzomah similarly lacks development as a blocker, but isn’t as gifted a route runner as Egnew or Coffman were in those draft classes. Neither of the Missouri tight ends were able to develop into consistent NFL starters, so I currently have Uzomah graded as a late round flier to UDFA prospect.

Offensive Line
-The winner of the lineman group was Alabama’s Arie Kouandijo. He used his length much more effectively as he locked his arms out and kept the rusher away from his frame. He also moved in the zone blocking scheme better, looking smoother than he did earlier in the week.

-Ty Sambrailo improved today as well. He used his hands better, landing his punch within the chest of defenders, and it was way more effective than his previous attempts at blocking earlier in the week. It was a positive finish to a bad week of practices for Ty

-LSU tackle La’el Collins played better today, but his technique wasn’t the reason why. He is over reliant on his length and strength. Today it happened to work. He has to stay more balanced and keep his legs moving, or else he’s vulnerable.

Defensive Line
-UCLA stud Owamagbe Odighizuwa had another strong day of work. He’s very physical and has plus power. He doesn’t have great twitch, but he’s quick enough to be a threat as a defensive end to complement his power.

-The SEC duo of Preston Smith and Trey Flowers each showed great power and length in team drills. Both are able to set the edge and force running backs to cutback early. Neither of them are incredibly quick, but they work hard and look like Day 2 athletes.

Linebackers
-It was a good day to see which linebackers can drop into coverage. Clemson’sStephone Anthony and Arkansas’ Martrell Spaight were very natural in coverage, retreating into zone with ease. Both are also clearly team leaders, as they were vocal throughout practice.

-Lorenzo Mauldin of Louisville struggled rushing and dropping into coverage. He’s an impressive athlete that moves well when attacking the line of scrimmage, but he’s not very fluid or confident in
coverage.

Defensive Backs-Florida Atlantic CB D’Joun Smith had another strong practice on Thursday, cementing his status as one of the better defensive backs here at the Senior Bowl. Staying square with the receiver’s release in press or off-man coverage, Smith knows how to take away inside leverage, reroute receivers and find the football. He shows a clear understanding of when to create contact and when to look for the football.

-Though not as patient at the line of scrimmage as Smith, TCU’s Kevin White showed the best foot quicks and mirror ability among the South corners. He’s very balanced through the hip turn, able to flip and recover downfield, and highly competitive at the catch point. Versus the speedier Philip Dorsett, White used the sideline as an extra defender and consistently fit onto the receiver’s hip pocket for positioning. He located an underthrown deep ball during team drills for an interception and broke up a handful of throws during one-on-ones. Despite being undersized, White looked like a guy that can limit separation from opponents as a nickel or outside cornerback.

-A corner that had issues during the final padded practice was Miami’s Ladarius Gunter. Multiple times, the Jaguars defensive back coaches were telling Gunter to “Find the ball.” Even though he moves fluidly enough to stay in phase, Gunter struggled to play the ball in-air and win at the catch point. From a length and athleticism standpoint, Gunter more than looks the part but he’ll have to improve at his ball location skills.

-Safety Jaquiski Tartt had a nice first day of practice, but showed some of his limitations today. Beaten by every tight end and even DE prospect Lynden Trail in red zone drills, Tartt lacked balance and redirect ability to execute man coverage responsibilities. Moving onto 7-on-7 and team, however, he played much better in zone coverage and made an interception to end the day. His movements look far more instinctive as a read-and-react zone defender, especially when he avoid turning his back on the quarterback.

-While Tartt struggled in man coverage, Ole Miss’ Cody Prewitt only allowed one scoring reception during red zone drills and bullied opposing tight ends off the line. Prewitt’s combination of size, physicality and ball skills to defend the catch point were on display in one-on-one coverage against tight ends and I think he’s a strong safety prospect at the next level. Prewitt has the range to defend routes along the inside of the numbers, but isn’t able to reach either sideline from a single high, middle of the field alignment.

http://optimumscouting.com/draft/2015-senior-bowl-scouting-thursday-south-practice-notes.html

Memphis Ram

Legend
2015 SENIOR BOWL SCOUTING: THURSDAY NORTH PRACTICE NOTES
Posted by Eric Galko on Jan 22, 2015 17:44

The winners from the final day of padded practices for 2015 Senior Bowl Scouting for the North squad were Ali Marpet, Nate Orchard, Hayes Pullard, Jeff Luc, Ibraheim Campbell and Eric Rowe. For the practice, Alex Brown broke down quarterbacks and skill players while Ian Wharton took notes on running backs, linebackers and the line play.

Quarterbacks-For the North, none of the quarterbacks stood out in a positive light. Baylor’s Bryce Petty did not showcase any anticipation or field vision for reading coverage. During 7-on-7 pass skeleton drills, he only completed passes to checkdowns and also threw one interception. His inability to scan past his first read is a huge drawback for NFL teams.

-East Carolina QB Shane Carden had his struggles as well, tossing two interceptions during an early team walk-through and another interception during a later portion of team drills. His lack of velocity and awkward delivery make it almost impossible for him to execute intermediate passes without perfect timing.

-Oregon QB Sean Mannion was just as underwhelming today, showing sluggish feet during pocket footwork drills and not displaying the arm you’d expect from a passer with his frame. Mannion was more efficient at locating targets during 7-on-7, but wasn’t able to separate himself from the other two passers.

Running Backs-Minnesota running back David Cobb separated himself as a pass blocker, showing that he has a strong base and ability to mirror pass rushers effectively. Cobb is a solid interior runner, but his ability to impact a team right away as a blocker is key for his draft projection and likeliness to get on the field.

-Nebraska’s Ameer Abdullah was bullied by blitzing linebackers, and his lack of bulk is going to limit his contributions as a pass blocker. He works hard, but doesn’t have the power to jolt the rushers back. He looked good on several inside running plays, specifically when he had to one cut up the field.

-Yale fullback Tyler Varga is a fun player to root for. He had a diving catch out of bounds, highlighting his athleticism and focus. He is not agile, though, and this hurts his route running and blocking potential.

Wide Receivers-While Carden had his struggles, his ECU receiver Justin Hardy set up routes with controlled footwork and displayed his excellent hands at the catch point. Like we’ve said all week, Hardy doesn’t have elite speed or explosiveness but is extremely nuanced at the position and skilled as a route runner. He’ll contribute day one out of the slot.

-Duke receiver Jamison Crowder is a fun package receiver to evaluate with his exceptional quicks and refined routes, but it’s tough to overlook his diminutive frame. Crowder was knocked off path and into the sideline versus a longer corner in Eric Rowe, and also had his fair share of rough snaps during redzone one-on-ones. During team, he also didn’t help Shane Carden out on an interception, as he did not settle into the soft area of zone coverage on a simple seam pattern. He’s refined as a route runner and able to create separation, but he’ll need to learn how to avoid contact through the route.

-A receiver that showed improvement versus the press was Stanford wideout Ty Montgomery. Built like a halfback, Montgomery simply didn’t show the quicks or footwork to win at the line of scrimmage during the first two days of practice. Today, he set up defensive backs and fought through the contact. With that said, he doesn’t move fluidly as a route runner and looks more like a complementary piece than a primary target.

-Another receiver that showed improvement was Tony Lippett from Michigan State. Avoiding contact and getting to landmarks as a route runner, Lippett looked very smooth in his release technique and route breaks. He skied for a few acrobatic catches and also used his length well during contest reception drills.

-Ohio State’s Devin Smith could not handle cornerbacks at the line of scrimmage and still needs to develop as a route runner. From footwork to hand use, Smith doesn’t have the technique to defeat press coverage. He caught the ball better today and extended for multiple high targets, but needs time to become more than a vertical weapon.

Tight Ends-The North tight ends lack any exceptional qualities but both Notre Dame’s Ben Koyackand Kent State’s Casey Pierce could be backup types in the league. Pierce continued to build on a solid week of practice, tracking the ball well and finishing catches away from his frame. For Koyack, he doesn’t threaten defenses as a receiver but is a reliable blocker on the edge.

Offensive Line-The star of the week was Hobart’s Ali Marpet. The DIII lineman has been fantastic at guard, jolting rushers back despite not having an ultra strong frame. His leverage and hand placement is very refined, and it shows in team and individual drills. He’s a stud that is looking like a potential Day 2 pick.

-Laken Tomlinson and Jamil Douglas had somewhat inconsistent final practices, but both leave with a positive impression. When everything works, they’re each very good. Both sometimes allow the defender too far into the pocket, leaving them to reset their feet. They still win, so that’s a positive, but it’s something to improve upon.

-Pittsburgh tackle T.J. Clemmings continues to struggle in pass pro. He’s a rare athlete for the position, but all of the edge guys were using speed to power to get inside of his frame. Clemmings lacks the technical skill to punch and keep edge rushers at bay, and once he loses the initial position advantage, he doesn’t recover. He is a major project at tackle right now.

Defensive Line-Washington’s Danny Shelton has been utterly dominant this week in team and individual workouts. He is so quick off the snap with his first step and uses his power to shed blocks with ease. He does struggle against doubles, though, and that’s an area that could hurt his case as a nose tackle.

-Harvard edge rusher Zack Hodges was hurt, but still practiced today. He looked good when moving in team drills, but very still and noticeably injured during individual workouts. He should be praised for fighting through his knee injury. 

-Utah edge Nate Orchard had a huge day. He looked extremely quick as a wide 9 end showed the burst and hands en route to many wins in individual and team routes. He had an impressive interception on a screen play, where he read the play, disengaged quickly and scooped the ball up.

-Iowa tackle Carl Davis continued to have a good well as well. He’s strong as an ox when he has leverage, and he’s been low all week. He takes on doubles well and can get upfield into the backfield on some run plays.

-The worst player this week was Stanford’s Henry Anderson. He was on the ground most of his reps, failing to get low or get inside of the blocker. He’s strong, but has zero technical skill right now and doesn’t have quickness to win with.

Linebackers-USC inside linebacker Hayes Pullard had a fantastic day. Pullard dominated team and individual drills, showing light, quick feet and great coverage fluidity. He is able to turn and run downfield with running backs, and he logged an interception where he rode the hip of Abdullah until the ball arrived. His ability in run fits was also on display, as he filled a run lane perfectly and re-directed the back inside.

-Jeff Luc continued to have a strong week. The former Cincinnati Bearcat doesn’t move incredibly well, but he does so at least enough to warrant playing. He’s able to read the QB in coverage effectively and handle backs in the flat. His real impact comes against the run, where he has a nose for the ball and disengages really well.

-Texas off ball linebacker Jordan Hicks had a good showing in coverage as well. He isn’t a terrific athlete, but he’s smart and gets the job done. He logged an interception by staying on top of the back, then jumped underneath for the ball. He may have solidified his outlook as a potential starting caliber strong side linebacker.

Defensive Backs-The big winner of the day was Northwestern safety Ibraheim Campbell. In one-on-one’s with the receivers, he locked up Devin Smith and Jamison Crowder with ease. He shows physical hands and patient footwork to cut off the receiver’s release, and moved well downfield. In the team setting, he followed the quarterback’s eyes to intercept a seam pattern and was consistent with his run fits.

-Another safety that continued to build on positive momentum was Utah’s Eric Rowe. At free safety, he picked off a seam pattern and did a good job of reading the eye level of opposing North quarterbacks. In team setting, he also lined up some at cornerback and excelled at rerouting the receiver’s release in Cover 2 press alignment. He’s a plus length defensive back with ball skills to make plays, so he’ll be a valued commodity.

-Oregon State cornerback Steven Nelson performed well again in press looks and competed throughout the practice, but needs to be more patient in off-coverage and less grabby. I love Nelson’s willingness to be physical and his foot quickness is good enough to work from the slot. In the right system, he could play inside or outside but he needs to operate quieter with his hands to avoid interference calls at the next level.

-Miami (OH) corner Quinton Rollins moved far more efficiently during individual drills and in his backpedal than previously this week. He’s taken to coaching well and looked better in downfield coverage thanks to improved timing of his hip turn. His athleticism and ball skills could lead to a corner or safety projection, but he’ll still need time to develop the technical aspects of defensive back play.

http://optimumscouting.com/draft/2015-senior-bowl-scouting-thursday-north-practice-notes.html