2014 do-over draft; Donald and Robinson go top 12

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
That becomes a sticky situation because Saffold and Brown will be back. May just have to move him to the bench and draft a LT if that's the case. But with the perineal injuries of this team, Robinson will get many starts.

Not sure that Saffold is still in their long term starter plans, 28.

Nor probably should he be.

Just can't count on him to be there every Sunday.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Watkins (or even Hopkins) with this current O-line, who knows, besides I don't think he would make a difference w/ Foles (severely lacking) production so far this season.
This is weighed on if..... all other O-line picks and additions were as they are, and Foles was acquired, and yada yada yada.

I feel Tavon is comparable to those two, but only to a small extent as TA is used completely as that gadget guy, we don't see him contest or stretch the field... he's not that mold.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Not sure that Saffold is still in their long term starter plans, 28.

Nor probably should he be.

Just can't count on him to be there every Sunday.

Yeah, could be. But he's had both shoulders repaired now and his contract is pretty high. I'd roll with him another year. But if it's the same song and dance next year, I would cut him.

Athos

Legend
He only seems to like him as a RT though.

I agree, we need to be patient with Robinson because he was raw coming in, but it is kind of frustrating, I expected more from him by now. I hope he can improve from below-average, because that's what he is. If he's not significantly better by next season though, we need to move on. @CoachO has mentioned that it's a chore to get him into the film room, and that's not something you want to hear about your #2 overall pick.

Gross. He doesn't like the film room? Gotta say, people, players, what have you, that don't do whatever they can do better their subpar work performance piss me off.

How else is he gonna learn if he doesn't watch tape of himself failing or studying the moves of the premiere edge rushers? Speaks of laziness.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Pretty much any WR at 2 would have been a good pick that year:
Watkins
Evans
Beckham Jr.
Cooks
Benjamin
Robinson
Landry
Hurns

What a class, and there's guys I've left off the list who have been injured at some point or have done good but not great who could still develop. Of course I'm showing my lack of knowledge by believing this team needs a WR :whistle:.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Hurns was an UDRFA, I believe. Sometimes those guys work out as we've seen firsthand. We've yet to really hit on a WR via that route unless you count Marquez the ST's ace.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I wanted Bortles Mack or Matthews. I'd take anyone of them over GRob who I thought was risky.

Mack is a great player.

Mack was clearly the BPA in that spot. Chalk another on up to BPA over need. His pass rushing ability would be great to have with Quinn out.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mack is elite, but so is AD. No way would I take Mack over AD.
i've watched lawrence taylors, derrick thomas' all the great 70's defenses, da bears 86, etc. aaron donald is something else altogether. i cant remember another DT getting into the backfield like he does. fisher can pick the D guys. just no good with the O guys. but if the 2 pick was bortles, then yes you have to get a cornerstone LT like a matthews to protect him.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Would those two WRs look as good without Bortles?

Robinson is obviously a talented kid and is making great plays but WRs are at the mercy of their QB.

Bortles is a 2nd year QB on pace to throw 32 TDs to 19 Ints. Pretty impressive. Especially considering he was a raw QB that should have sat as a rookie. He's got Carson Palmer/Big Ben type potential.

Jags made a very smart decision taking him. Here's hoping we'll have a chance to grab a QB of our own.(and pair him with some talented weapons)

Yes. We drafted a raw LT so we could move him to OG before he's had 3 years worth of development and even 2 years worth of starts at LT. Robinson is 23 years old. Give him a chance to develop. It's not like the guy is getting embarrassed week after week. He's inconsistent. He gets called for holding too often because he's grabby (technical problem related to experience) and he tends to get beat a few times each game. But he's not out there getting embarrassed every down. He typically will not be heard from for most of the game and then over a 5 play period, get called for holding and give up a QB hit or two. And then be fine the rest of the game.

It's worth pointing out that despite all the frustrations with his mistakes and penalties, he's only given up 3.5 sacks in 11 starts this year. That's not bad at all for a NFL LT.(source: STATS LLC)

I'm not taking anything away from him. I think hes a stud. I'm just not sure how fast he would have developed without those two. They definitely have had something to do with it.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I didn't know enough last year to make educated mocks.....but I was in Camp Mathews with you due to pedigree.

That was my rationale at the time, too.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I'm starting to want to blame Coach B for half of his problems and the rest of them over the years

FRO

Legend
I was in the Watkins / Mathews camp.
So was I.

As for Robinson, give him another year at LT. He didn't have a playbook in college and he rarely dropped in pass protection. To expect a guy that raw to come in and be flawless is silly. It's his first full year in the pros at LT. Give him another one and if he doesn't improve then kick him inside.

FrankenRam

Starter
That becomes a sticky situation because Saffold and Brown will be back. May just have to move him to the bench and draft a LT if that's the case. But with the perineal injuries of this team, Robinson will get many starts.

IF Saffold could be counted on to be healthy, I'd almost consider putting him back at LT and move Robinson to guard. RS played a more than respectable LT his first couple years. But given his shoulders seem to have acquired a case of Bradforditis, that's a pipedream at this point.