2014 do-over draft; Donald and Robinson go top 12

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
While GRob takes a beating at times here, he's still considered a top 12 talent by this draft analyst.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...l-draft-doover-texans-take-derek-carr-at-no-1

12. NEW YORK GIANTS

Pick: Odell Beckham Jr., LSU, WR

Do-over: Greg Robinson, Auburn, OT

Comment: While he still has work to do, Robinson has shown some improvement. He's the type of physical right tackle prospect that would have allowed the 2014 Giants to move Justin Pugh inside

grasshopper.jpg

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
He only seems to like him as a RT though.

I agree, we need to be patient with Robinson because he was raw coming in, but it is kind of frustrating, I expected more from him by now. I hope he can improve from below-average, because that's what he is. If he's not significantly better by next season though, we need to move on. @CoachO has mentioned that it's a chore to get him into the film room, and that's not something you want to hear about your #2 overall pick.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
it's a chore to get him into the film room, and that's not something you want to hear about your #2 overall pick.

That is VERY concerning, if true. :mad:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I would rather Donald than Mack in his scenario. Benjamin with our second first would have been nice.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
We may have to move Robinson to guard next year, he is completely over matched at LT in the NFL.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I can agree with him being a top-12 prospect, but IMO not at left tackle. No doubt he is extremely gifted athletically, but there's more to just being athletic. He needs to be smart. Now I'm not saying he isn't, but watching him play in his first 1+ years, he looks terribly confused when it comes to pass protection most times. Hopefully he's spending more time watching game film critiquing his play, as well as, studying guys he's going to play against and the defensive schemes they employ. His technique is very poor, so he needs to continue working hard to get better. Coming from Auburn, a team that predominately ran the ball, along with very few pass plays and protection schemes, has not helped his transition to the NFL. I've said it before and I will continue beating the drum, until I am proven wrong, he is not fitted to play tackle, but should be playing guard. IMO, he cannot play in space and on an island which is what a left tackle does. Put him in a smaller space and let him "maul" defensive tackles and nose guards. That's what best fits his unique skill set. This off-season it's time to find a true left tackle and move him inside. Now I don't see what goes on inside the confines of Rams Park, but Mr. Robinson has a ton of work to do to prove he is a NFL tackle. I'm not sure Fisher should stake a third year on something I don't think is going to work. Other teams seem to find players that fit into what they are doing sooner rather than later. The days of developing a player over a longer period of time has to start taking a back seat to winning. I, for one, am so tired of saying wait till next year.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Looking at this, who's available in this re-draft, I'd go Blake Bortles at #2, Jake Matthews at #13.

I know we don't get our generational insanely good DT in Donald, but we'd get our franchise LT who looks to be one of the best in the business soon, and our franchise QB who's also on his way to being a great player. This would go A LONG way to fixing our offense and our defense will be fine.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I can agree with him being a top-12 prospect, but IMO not at left tackle. No doubt he is extremely gifted athletically, but there's more to just being athletic. He needs to be smart. Now I'm not saying he isn't, but watching him play in his first 1+ years, he looks terribly confused when it comes to pass protection most times. Hopefully he's spending more time watching game film critiquing his play, as well as, studying guys he's going to play against and the defensive schemes they employ. His technique is very poor, so he needs to continue working hard to get better. Coming from Auburn, a team that predominately ran the ball, along with very few pass plays and protection schemes, has not helped his transition to the NFL. I've said it before and I will continue beating the drum, until I am proven wrong, he is not fitted to play tackle, but should be playing guard. IMO, he cannot play in space and on an island which is what a left tackle does. Put him in a smaller space and let him "maul" defensive tackles and nose guards. That's what best fits his unique skill set. This off-season it's time to find a true left tackle and move him inside. Now I don't see what goes on inside the confines of Rams Park, but Mr. Robinson has a ton of work to do to prove he is a NFL tackle. I'm not sure Fisher should stake a third year on something I don't think is going to work. Other teams seem to find players that fit into what they are doing sooner rather than later. The days of developing a player over a longer period of time has to start taking a back seat to winning. I, for one, am so tired of saying wait till next year.

Said it before and I still believe. Robinson is a tick slow upstairs. Not intending this to be a jab or anything like that. His feet are faster than his brain. It was a main concern I had with watching interviews. I trusted the coaches on the final decision and it was a tough one for me. Ultimately, I leaned Watkins.

Woulda been amazing to have him and Hopkins.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wanted Bortles Mack or Matthews. I'd take anyone of them over GRob who I thought was risky.

Mack is a great player.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Looking at this, who's available in this re-draft, I'd go Blake Bortles at #2, Jake Matthews at #13.

I know we don't get our generational insanely good DT in Donald, but we'd get our franchise LT who looks to be one of the best in the business soon, and our franchise QB who's also on his way to being a great player. This would go A LONG way to fixing our offense and our defense will be fine.

It's hard to say. Would Bortles look as good as he does if Jacksonville didn't hit on two WRs?

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I would have taken Mathews, but then I wanted Watkins. But if it was OL then Mathews was much less of a risk and probably not that far behind an all pro Robinson.
If Robinson can't get into the film room then that is a major problem.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I know what ifs are fun, but I don't really get into the shoulda/coulda/woulda stuff..I do like to read some of it here though...Entertaining...

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
It's hard to say. Would Bortles look as good as he does if Jacksonville didn't hit on two WRs?

Robinson and Hurns definitely help, no doubt about that, but they don't make Bortles throw the lasers he does, or make plays with his legs as well as any QB in this league. That's all on him, because he's a great QB. He can, and does, make any throw and makes plays when his team needs him, even when his guys aren't open.

Plus, I think a lot of the WR issues are actually on our QBs. Too many times I've seen our guys open just to be missed or not thrown to. Bortles wouldn't make those mistakes.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Would those two WRs look as good without Bortles?

Robinson is obviously a talented kid and is making great plays but WRs are at the mercy of their QB.

Bortles is a 2nd year QB on pace to throw 32 TDs to 19 Ints. Pretty impressive. Especially considering he was a raw QB that should have sat as a rookie. He's got Carson Palmer/Big Ben type potential.

Jags made a very smart decision taking him. Here's hoping we'll have a chance to grab a QB of our own.(and pair him with some talented weapons)

We may have to move Robinson to guard next year, he is completely over matched at LT in the NFL.

Yes. We drafted a raw LT so we could move him to OG before he's had 3 years worth of development and even 2 years worth of starts at LT. Robinson is 23 years old. Give him a chance to develop. It's not like the guy is getting embarrassed week after week. He's inconsistent. He gets called for holding too often because he's grabby (technical problem related to experience) and he tends to get beat a few times each game. But he's not out there getting embarrassed every down. He typically will not be heard from for most of the game and then over a 5 play period, get called for holding and give up a QB hit or two. And then be fine the rest of the game.

It's worth pointing out that despite all the frustrations with his mistakes and penalties, he's only given up 3.5 sacks in 11 starts this year. That's not bad at all for a NFL LT.(source: STATS LLC)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was in the Watkins / Mathews camp.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame

That becomes a sticky situation because Saffold and Brown will be back. May just have to move him to the bench and draft a LT if that's the case. But with the perineal injuries of this team, Robinson will get many starts.