2013 NFL Draft/Prospect Discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
In my opinion, it's never too early to start one of these, especially if you're a draft freak. Basically, this thread is for all 2013 Draft talk, as well as discussing prospects that you think the Rams should target.

I figure that I should start this off with a mock draft of my own (note, this is a preliminary mock based on the eight weeks I've seen; the rankings are fluid and are subject to change in the coming weeks. Trades are not accounted for at the moment.):

Rams #12 - Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee. Our wide receivers are currently Danny Amendola, Brian Quick, Chris Givens, Brandon Gibson, Austin Pettis, and Steve Smith. I love Amendola, but if he's your number one, you have issues. Givens could eventually be a Mike Wallace type, and Brian Quick is still maturing physically and mentally. However, Pettis has not stepped up, Gibson is wildly inconsistent, and Smith can't play anymore. There's not a single number one wideout in this group, and Fisher has to know that.

Enter Justin Hunter. He has size (6'4", 200 lbs.), speed (has been clocked at 4.48), and - yes, Rams fans - he catches the ball extremely well, using his size and hands to present a large target to his quarterback. Some may call him a taller Justin Blackmon; I would compare him to a lesser A.J. Green - a wideout with a similar build and skillset.

Rams #13 - Taylor Lewan, LT, Michigan. Our offensive line, quite frankly, has been a mess. Barry Richardson? Wayne Hunter? Joe Barksdale? Ty Nsekhe? Chris Williams? Yes, some of these guys may have played fairly well in some games (and some like Barksdale and Nsekhe deserve another chance to show what they can do), but the presence of Rodger Saffold is clearly missed. However, even he has issues of his own; some are concerned about his ability to stay healthy, while others are considering moving him to guard. In my opinion, the latter would be a waste of his abilities; Saffold can certainly play left or right tackle in this league. But Fisher knows that he has to find a bookend or, in the worst case scenario, a replacement. Fisher may have to break his streak of not taking an offensive tackle in the first round after watching this putrid performance.

Lewan (6'8", 302 lbs.) is a monster in the running game who has a whole lot more potential to be a franchise left tackle than Joeckel or Matthews. As a run-blocker, he has no flaws; he is a mauler with a serious mean streak. However, his athleticism makes him a perfect candidate for the blindside; he has surprisingly quick feet for his size. His intangibles are also key; he is a junior who has started since he was a true freshman, and he has quickly matured into a leader in the locker room. The comparisons to Jake Long and Michael Roos are not that far-fetched; he is rapidly improving, and though it may take him time to get acclimated to the NFL, he will become a dominant force when he truly arrives.

Rams #42 - Matt Elam, FS, Florida. Mikell will be gone after this year. That much is certain. There's no way that they're going to pay him that much salary to be as ineffective as he is. I expect Dahl to be gone and for Stewart to be a starter (who will be resigned at the end of the year). McLeod and Daniels are interesting prospects, but neither of them should be manning the free safety spot. We need a ball-hawk in the worst sort of way, someone who keep the elite tight ends in check.

Elam fits this description to the letter. While you won't get a Tony Jefferson or a T.J. McDonald with the forty-second pick, Elam is no slouch himself. At 5'10", 205 lbs., he is a hard hitter in the box with the coverage skills of a cornerback. He causes turnovers and splash plays on a regular basis (three picks, three forced fumbles, two sacks, fourteen tackles for a loss, and ten passes broken up throughout his career), and his instincts are off the charts. There's always a place on our team for a talented safety like Elam.

Rams #74 - Levine Toilolo, TE, Stanford. While this is not necessarily a "need" position, it's one that can be upgraded. While Kendricks is an outstanding blocker and an underrated receiver, he still drops far too many passes for my liking. Mulligan should be relegated to a blocking role, and Mike McNeill is not the pass-catching tight end you should be looking for.

Toilolo is an anomaly at tight end; a 6'8", 265 lbs. monster who runs just almost as fast (4.62) as his teammate and fellow tight end, Zach Ertz (6'6", 245, 4.61). This is a true boom-bust prospect; he will either become an elite tight end similar to Jimmy Graham or he'll be a slightly-better Leonard Pope. What helps his cause is that he is a much better receiver than Pope, and although his route-running and blocking need work, those are things that can be improved. But you don't teach size and red-zone ability like Toilolo's.

Rams #106 - Omoregie Uzzi, LG/C, Georgia Tech. While much ado has been made of the offensive tackles, the inside of the line has not been much better. Rob Turner is not suited to be a starter. While Harvey Dahl has retained some ability in the passing game, he has arguably been our worst starting offensive lineman outside of Ojinnaka. While young players like Rokevious Watkins (who I believe will eventually take Dahl's place), Tim Barnes, and Brandon Washington look impressive - and even though Shelley Smith has done a decent job holding down the fort - there's a real weakness at backup center. We do not have a successor to Scott Wells, much like we don't have a successor to Rodger Saffold. When they went down, we had no chance.

Uzzi (6'3", 303) is a very athletic, cerebral zone-blocking guard who may be best suited to play center in the NFL. He is an incredibly smart player who is not only a two-time All-ACC selection, but had already gone into the season with a degree in business management (and was planning on pursuing a second degree in public policy). He is a leader in the Georgia Tech locker room, and he is the best player on a line that has consistently ranked amongst the best in the nation in every category. He'll start out at left guard for us, but he's intelligent enough to learn a new position in center, and in the best case scenario, he will be Wells' successor.

Rams #138 - DeVonte Holloman, OLB, South Carolina. I'll be quite frank: we need serious help at outside linebacker depth. Other than Laurinaitis and Dunbar, there are no linebackers signed beyond this year, and I highly doubt that we resign any of them. The only other linebacker that's in the system, as far as I can tell, is Sammy Brown, and I have no faith in him becoming more than a camp body. Oh, and Dunbar is only signed for two years.

Holloman is a linebacker/safety hybrid with a lot of athleticism and brute strength. He forced his way into a loaded Gamecocks lineup as a true freshman and has done nothing but make splash plays ever since. He fits more as a linebacker than a safety (he's 6'2", 241 lbs.), and he is a major boom-bust prospect since some scouts don't know what kind of role he'll have in the NFL, but his potential as a pass-rushing linebacker who can drop into coverage should be good enough to make him a fifth round pick.

Rams #170 - Tom Wort, OLB, Oklahoma. Same concerns as above, except I'll gloss over the starters this time. McIntosh has basically disappeared most games, Haggan has been out with injuries, and Josh Hull is a special teams player at best and not nearly athletic enough to start. And again, Sammy Brown as the only other option for next year scares me.

Wort has many similarities to Holloman and many differences. Wort has made nothing but splash plays in the running game and in the pass-rush, but he is not as good in coverage as Holloman. That's not to say that he's bad; it's just that he's more-or-less average. Wort is fairly big at 6'0", 238., although his frame is likely maxed out. He is not a sideline-to-sideline linebacker; he is mostly north-south with solid tackling skills and instincts. He has had nagging injuries, which drops him to the sixth round, but his ability to make plays will make him a steal in the sixth round.

Rams #202 - Nickell Robey, CB, USC. Bradley Fletcher is not coming back after this year. With Trumaine Johnson stepping into Fletcher's spot, and Quinton Pointer taking the fourth cornerback job (as he should), there is an opening for a fifth cornerback...or a dimeback if Pointer falters. You can never have too many corners in today's NFL.

Robey reminds me of our very own Cortland Finnegan...in miniature, of course. At 5'8", 165 lbs., he'd be smaller than anyone on our current team or practice squad. He's a violent hitter and a feisty competitor who is also fundamentally sound in tackling. He times his hits perfectly so that he hits the receiver exactly when their hands touch the ball. His coverage skills, surprisingly enough, are even better. He is an explosive player who is lethal on punt returns, and he has started every game since he was a true freshman. If not for his size, he would likely be a second or third round pick. As it is, I see him falling past where he should truly be ranked in favor of bigger corners. Oh well. It's a steal for us, I'd say.

Any thoughts, comments, and/or discussion would be appreciated.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Good stuff, and I'll comment later on today.

In the meantime, I'll sticky this. It's a little early for draft talk, but not if you enjoy it.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Great !!!
Thanks for starting a draft thread. Better late than never.
Been working on the draft for last couple months and I like your choices.

Unless one of these College WR turn in to a Green/ Jones clone I'm not taking one early. I would rather target one in FA. Already developed and less bust potential.

I would think we'll trade down with 1 of our 1st round picks. That would work out well for rebuilding the line. Any T rated to go in the 1st 2 rounds would be a upgrade over whet played for the Rams since Saffold has been out.
We don't have to have to draft all pro T's just get above avg. guys like Saffold to have a great line. There will be plug and play G's in the 3rd also a dev. center can be taken later.

Got to go early for a safety. This guy has to start game 1. The other safety will come by FA.
Good choices at olb.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Yamahopper said:
Great !!!

Unless one of these College WR turn in to a Green/ Jones clone I'm not taking one early. I would rather target one in FA. Already developed and less bust potential.

I would think we'll trade down with 1 of our 1st round picks. That would work out well for rebuilding the line. Any T rated to go in the 1st 2 rounds would be a upgrade over whet played for the Rams since Saffold has been out.
We don't have to have to draft all pro T's just get above avg. guys like Saffold to have a great line. There will be plug and play G's in the 3rd also a dev. center can be taken later.

Got to go early for a safety. This guy has to start game 1. The other safety will come by FA.
Good choices at olb.

P.S. Langford isn't getting the push he was brought in to provide. DT that can penetrate will be a priority early.

Memento

Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yamahopper said:
Great !!!

Good choices at olb.

P.S. Langford isn't getting the push he was brought in to provide. DT that can penetrate will be a priority early.

Thank you so much for your thoughts and critiques. Again, this draft doesn't predict trades because you can never truly predict them, so I went with what we had at the midpoint of the season.

P.S. I'd rather give Langford one more year. If he's still not getting it done, then draft a pass-rushing defensive tackle in a much superior class next year (this year has more nose-tackle prospects than true pass-rushers) and cut him.

Would love to see your mock when you have time to make it.

superfan24

Starter
MANTI TE'O. I'll be one happy motherfucker if the Rams draft him and move him to OLB. The Rams D will improve tenfold and that is a scary thought.

bluecoconuts

Legend
With the trades last year, I wouldn't be shocked if there's more trades this year. Especially if the Rams aren't totally in love with whoever is there, since we have two first rounders.

I agree with the positions you drafted, and I like each player. I'll probably hold off till later on when the standings are more final to see who will go where, but I wouldn't be upset over a draft similar to this at all.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
superfan24 said:
MANTI TE'O. I'll be one happy motherfucker if the Rams draft him and move him to OLB. The Rams D will improve tenfold and that is a scary thought.

+1

If we could grab him in the first along with a WR Id be ecstatic.

Maybe a Safety in the second(Tony Jefferson is project 2nd or 3rd he may be there, he's a little small for a safety) and some line help in the third.

Still early to have any kinda accuracy in mocks, but it certainly exciting given how many picks we have.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
superfan24 said:
MANTI TE'O. I'll be one happy bloodsucker if the Rams draft him and move him to OLB. The Rams D will improve tenfold and that is a scary thought.

Would love this. He should go top 10.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
JdashSTL said:
superfan24 said:
MANTI TE'O. I'll be one happy bloodsucker if the Rams draft him and move him to OLB. The Rams D will improve tenfold and that is a scary thought.

Would love this. He should go top 10.
You would certainly think so. Him and a Eric Reid with the first two picks would NOT hurt my feelings. But I'm gonna have to play the wait & see card relative to who or what (position) I think we need more. Receiver is certainly in the mix, and TE may even (again, OMG) be a priority as well as a big fatbody NT/DT.

I think we need 2 more first rounders next year.

STLINI

UDFA
Just curious, where is Justin Hunter on your WR rankings, and where is Lewan on your OT rankings?

Seems like Hunter and Allen seem to be the top 2 guys according to most, with some people still having Robert Woods up there. I'm an Allen fan right now, I like his run after the catch ability. That said, I haven't seen a whole lot of either, so I still have a lot to learn about them.

I would assume Joekel is your #1 tackle, and #12 or 13 would certainly be too low to get him. I have mixed thoughts on Lewan. Sometimes I think he looks like a monster, but sometimes I just don't see a dominant side in him like I would expect. Anybody think that Jake Matthews has a future at LT at all? I like him, but obviously that's high to take a RT. Could be a case like Tyron Smith at USC where the guy at LT is just better in college.

Anyway, good early thoughts on the draft. I don't think its ever too early to start discussing. :ww:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
STLINI said:
Just curious, where is Justin Hunter on your WR rankings, and where is Lewan on your OT rankings?

Seems like Hunter and Allen seem to be the top 2 guys according to most, with some people still having Robert Woods up there. I'm an Allen fan right now, I like his run after the catch ability. That said, I haven't seen a whole lot of either, so I still have a lot to learn about them.

I would assume Joekel is your #1 tackle, and #12 or 13 would certainly be too low to get him. I have mixed thoughts on Lewan. Sometimes I think he looks like a monster, but sometimes I just don't see a dominant side in him like I would expect. Anybody think that Jake Matthews has a future at LT at all? I like him, but obviously that's high to take a RT. Could be a case like Tyron Smith at USC where the guy at LT is just better in college.

Anyway, good early thoughts on the draft. I don't think its ever too early to start discussing. :ww:
All we need is a new QB.

Any moron can see that.

Jeez.

STLINI

UDFA
X said:
STLINI said:

All we need is a new QB.

Any moron can see that.

Jeez.

:cheese: I've had about all I can take there. There aren't any Rams discussions there anymore, it's simply guys that wanna bitch about the Rams, and handful of guys that actually wanna talk football. I regret being away so long, I'll be here much more often. :ww:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
STLINI said:
X said:
STLINI said:

All we need is a new QB.

Any moron can see that.

Jeez.

:cheese: I've had about all I can take there. There aren't any Rams discussions there anymore, it's simply guys that wanna bitch about the Rams, and guys that wanna talk football. I regret being away so long, I'll be here much more often. :ww:
Well good. I haven't seen you over here in two years, ya slacker.

Honestly, you're one of the more level-headed posters over there, but I could see it taking its toll on you too. When you're reduced to calling a moron, a moron, on a daily basis - hourly, even; then, there's really no redeeming value left in that whole forum. The ignore function would be fine, but it doesn't erase quoted morons. Did I mention there are morons over there?

And hey, if you feel the need to mix it up a little, I'll just start talking about how awesome Vick is and how he did nothing wrong & how he should be a Ram. And probably will be. Guaranteed. Next year. Or I'll delete my account.

Justin Hunter should be a mid-first rounder. Those big tall receivers are becoming a commodity now. This is JMO, of course. I could see the Rams taking a run at him if they have a high first (either ours or theirs) and trading it away to move down a few. He might drop with Barkley & Smith up there and the bevvy of DTs (which every team could use) like Hankerson, Jenkins and Lotulelei. Not to mention the good DEs and safeties that will be available.

Do YOU think we should invest a first on a WR? Or did our defense last week change your priorities?

Memento

Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
STLINI said:

Actually, in my opinion, both Hunter and Lewan are number one at their respective positions. I grade players by past production, potential, and how likely they are to reach said potential.

Hunter has A.J. Green/Randy Moss potential, and if it were not for his injury last year (which he's recovered from), he'd be a top ten pick. I like Keenan Allen as well (wouldn't mind taking him if Hunter wasn't there), but his hands worry me; he drops more passes than he should because he tries to run before catching the ball. Robert Woods has fallen down my list because of injury.

Joeckel is my number two tackle with Matthews right behind. I see Joeckel as a Jeff Backus type: an eight year starter at tackle who is good but not elite. He's got the highest floor out of any prospect, but his ceiling is too low for my liking. He and Matthews have also struggled against top competition, which concerns me.

Matthews' situation is like Tyron Smith's (in fact, I'd actually compare him to Tyron Smith), but in this case, I think Matthews has the higher ceiling than his left tackle counterpart. The only reason he's lower than Joeckel is because he hasn't proven that he can play left tackle, but his versatility should get him drafted high. He would play left tackle if Joeckel wasn't there, but he's going to have to show scouts that he has the ability.

I like Lewan's potential, and the fact that he cracked the lineup as a true freshman and has improved every year is something that I like from a prospect. I've never seen him slack off in the running game; he has a real mean streak, and he hasn't racked up penalties this season like he has in the past. He struggles a bit in pass-protection, but he has surprising athleticism for his size, enough where he can stay at either spot permanently. I'm not kidding when I say that the Jake Long/Michael Roos comparisons aren't that far-fetched. Give him time in the weight room, and he could very well add twenty more pounds without losing any agility.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I'm limited typing on a phone. I don't see how we take any WR in the 1st round however some of that may or may not rely on Amendola's future. Although you didn't list any slot receivers I guess we have 2 1st rounders w/ Redskins possibly in the top 10 (hope we finish 7-9 or above) maybe its not so far fetched we go after another WR like Hunter or Allen.

Man I know its way past the time but Leonard is paying off for the Broncos just a random name late FA add. Yes safety has been a huge liability and exposure for us esp of late. Nothing against Dahl I'm just an observer just can't see how we didn't end up with a better option in his place I know Cecil sees this! Tru's athleticism alone should sit Dahl. Its worth a shot esp w/ Niners WRs in 2 weeks. JMO

STLINI

UDFA
X said:
STLINI said:
X said:
STLINI said:

All we need is a new QB.

Any moron can see that.

Jeez.

:cheese: I've had about all I can take there. There aren't any Rams discussions there anymore, it's simply guys that wanna bitch about the Rams, and guys that wanna talk football. I regret being away so long, I'll be here much more often. :ww:
Well good. I haven't seen you over here in two years, ya slacker.

Honestly, you're one of the more level-headed posters over there, but I could see it taking its toll on you too. When you're reduced to calling a moron, a moron, on a daily basis - hourly, even; then, there's really no redeeming value left in that whole forum. The ignore function would be fine, but it doesn't erase quoted morons. Did I mention there are morons over there?

And hey, if you feel the need to mix it up a little, I'll just start talking about how awesome Vick is and how he did nothing wrong & how he should be a Ram. And probably will be. Guaranteed. Next year. Or I'll delete my account.

Justin Hunter should be a mid-first rounder. Those big tall receivers are becoming a commodity now. This is JMO, of course. I could see the Rams taking a run at him if they have a high first (either ours or theirs) and trading it away to move down a few. He might drop with Barkley & Smith up there and the bevvy of DTs (which every team could use) like Hankerson, Jenkins and Lotulelei. Not to mention the good DEs and safeties that will be available.

Do YOU think we should invest a first on a WR? Or did our defense last week change your priorities?

I'm really torn on whether or not I think we should take a WR. If there was a sure fire AJ Green/Julio Jones/Megatron type, then obviously I'd say no doubt. But with Hunter and Allen, I don't see either of them as a sure thing right now so I'm hesitant. You would think that our first round picks have to be between OT, S, WR and LB. Right now, I don't see a Safety worth a top 15 pick, so that would knock that position out of the first round given our likely draft position. Aside from Te'o and Jarvis Jones, there aren't any LB'ers worth a top 15 pick that would fit in a 4-3. So it may come down to OL and WR.

My first choice would be to sign a veteran WR, but usually the really good ones don't hit the FA market, so that may not be an option. So I guess to make a long answer short, if one of those WR's truly are the best available at our pick, I'd be fine with taking them. I would rather take one of those guys, than waste a mid-round pick on another development guy, we seem to have plenty of those.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Great job, Memento. I'll contribute more later. I'm still at the point of just watching games and seeing players that pop. You have some good players on your list.

As far as WR's go, if Lee was eligible I'd be interested, but I really want to pick up a high end FA WR. We can't go another year without legitimate weapons out there.

Really nice start to the draft.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
Great job, Memento. I'll contribute more later. I'm still at the point of just watching games and seeing players that pop. You have some good players on your list.

As far as WR's go, if Lee was eligible I'd be interested, but I really want to pick up a high end FA WR. We can't go another year without legitimate weapons out there.

Really nice start to the draft.

Greg Jennings, Mike Wallace, Dwayne Bowe, and Wes Welker are all FAs. Unfortunately so is DannyA