20 Random Weighed, Measured, but Slightly Wanting Thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
1. From the standpoint of a diehard Rams fan, a loss to the 49ers is always tough to swallow.

2. From a rational standpoint, however, we learned a lot about the 2023 Rams today, and it was far from all bad.

3. Bottom line: the Rams went toe-to-toe for most of the afternoon with a team that has one of the top 5 rosters in football right now.

4. So what went wrong? I think it comes down to two factors.

5. First... not nearly enough pressure on Brock Purdy. Aaron Donald was stifled all day by double and triple teams, and Byron Young was the only one who hurried Purdy more than once. With a team that can hurt you with the RAC like the 49ers (CMC, Deebo) you can't just sell out and blitz constantly. We need higher win rates from the rushers not named Donald.

6. Second... untimely mistakes. The first interception, which was 100% on Kyren Williams (who, otherwise, was great) was a killer. We also had Red Zone penalties on both sides of the ball (Derion Kendrick is a liability on any pass of more than 10 yards, it seems) that really turned the tide against us. Tutu Atwell also missed a late opportunity to potentially score on a long TD by cutting his route off.

7. Another thing that impacted the game was just plain old bad luck. Ball hits Kittle in motion on shotgun snap... goes right to McCaffrey. Purdy fumbles snap at own 20... bounces right to him. Kyren takes eye off ball, instead of a harmless incompletion, ball pops up and is intercepted. Deebo fumbles... ball goes out of bounds (Or did it... did we miss a chance to challenge?). These aren't excuses, but if you change the outcome of half of those plays, this one probably goes down to the wire, and perhaps we're celebrating now.

8. In the end, though, we fell short... but I feel optimistic. There is some very good young talent on this team, and that supplies hope.

9. What can you say about Puka Nacua? Even though he had a chance to pad his stats a little in what was essentially garbage time, 15 catches for 147 yards (and 25 receptions - a new record for a rookie in his first 2 games) is simply remarkable. What a find this guy is! He's my Offensive Player of the Week once again.

10. You also have to be impressed with the turnaround of the OL. For most of the game, they held up really well against an extremely tough front 7. The fact that the 49ers had to start bringing 5 or 6 pass rushers in the second half is a testament to their effectiveness. They also had some good moments in the running game, again, particularly in the Red Zone.

11. Here's something I didn't expect to be typing: we really missed Joe Noteboom when he went out. I hope he is okay. If not, hopefully Tremayne Anchrum, will play better next game (or, perhaps, Kevin Dotson might be an option).

12. Those who didn't watch the game and only look at the scoreboard might think that Matthew Stafford didn't play all that well. I'd say that, apart from his late interceptions and a few off target throws during desperation time, he was pretty solid. Some nifty footwork too!

13. There was a lot of talk about Van Jefferson last week after his big drop against Seattle. I thought that was premature. This week, however, he disappointed me far more. He was invisible for most of the game. He then had a drop on his first target, and ran a poor route that at least contributed to the second interception. I won't be surprised to see Demarcus Robinson taking some of Jefferson's snaps in the next couple of week and, once Cooper Kupp returns, he may have a hard time getting off the bench.

14. Cam Akers... WTF? It would seem that he may be done as a Ram... though we've thought that before. This time, though...

15. Kyren Williams is a good fit for this offense and (again, apart from the bobble that caused the INT) had a good game. I think we'll see him get some help in the coming weeks, though I don't know if it will be from Ronnie Rivers, or maybe Zach Evans gets an opportunity?

16. Back on the OL, Steve Avila looks really good. Though I simply can't ignore Puka, I could make an argument for giving him the Offensive Player of the Week.

17. Young gets the nod as my Defensive Player of the Week. 5 tackles, 2 QB hits and our only sack.

18. We need to start forcing some turnovers!

19. So, here we are... two weeks in... two tests against division rivals who made the playoffs last year. I think we're off to a solid start. There is still a lot to improve upon, and holes that need to be filled. But this is a competitive team.

20. Next up... the Super Bowl rematch!

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I dont think anyone expected the Rams to win today, although several of us thought they had a chance to win today. Considering the youth of the Rams, the future looks bright.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stafford was mostly outstanding today until the pressure ramped up..I think he's a top 5 QB right now

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
You cant really be mad at the team after today. They were going to win as usual, but we fought hard all game. A few different bounces and we win this game.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stafford was mostly outstanding today until the pressure ramped up..I think he's a top 5 QB right now
On the flip side, as good Purdy was distributing the ball on the short to intermediate throws, his inability to connect on the deep ball (he overthrew three open receivers) helped keep the game close.

Last edited:

TexasRam

Legend
1. From the standpoint of a diehard Rams fan, a loss to the 49ers is always tough to swallow.

2. From a rational standpoint, however, we learned a lot about the 2023 Rams today, and it was far from all bad.

3. Bottom line: the Rams went toe-to-toe for most of the afternoon with a team that has one of the top 5 rosters in football right now.

4. So what went wrong? I think it comes down to two factors.

5. First... not nearly enough pressure on Brock Purdy. Aaron Donald was stifled all day by double and triple teams, and Byron Young was the only one who hurried Purdy more than once. With a team that can hurt you with the RAC like the 49ers (CMC, Deebo) you can't just sell out and blitz constantly. We need higher win rates from the rushers not named Donald.

6. Second... untimely mistakes. The first interception, which was 100% on Kyren Williams (who, otherwise, was great) was a killer. We also had Red Zone penalties on both sides of the ball (Derion Kendrick is a liability on any pass of more than 10 yards, it seems) that really turned the tide against us. Tutu Atwell also missed a late opportunity to potentially score on a long TD by cutting his route off.

7. Another thing that impacted the game was just plain old bad luck. Ball hits Kittle in motion on shotgun snap... goes right to McCaffrey. Purdy fumbles snap at own 20... bounces right to him. Kyren takes eye off ball, instead of a harmless incompletion, ball pops up and is intercepted. Deebo fumbles... ball goes out of bounds (Or did it... did we miss a chance to challenge?). These aren't excuses, but if you change the outcome of half of those plays, this one probably goes down to the wire, and perhaps we're celebrating now.

8. In the end, though, we fell short... but I feel optimistic. There is some very good young talent on this team, and that supplies hope.

9. What can you say about Puka Nacua? Even though he had a chance to pad his stats a little in what was essentially garbage time, 15 catches for 147 yards (and 25 receptions - a new record for a rookie in his first 2 games) is simply remarkable. What a find this guy is! He's my Offensive Player of the Week once again.

10. You also have to be impressed with the turnaround of the OL. For most of the game, they held up really well against an extremely tough front 7. The fact that the 49ers had to start bringing 5 or 6 pass rushers in the second half is a testament to their effectiveness. They also had some good moments in the running game, again, particularly in the Red Zone.

11. Here's something I didn't expect to be typing: we really missed Joe Noteboom when he went out. I hope he is okay. If not, hopefully Tremayne Anchrum, will play better next game (or, perhaps, Kevin Dotson might be an option).

12. Those who didn't watch the game and only look at the scoreboard might think that Matthew Stafford didn't play all that well. I'd say that, apart from his late interceptions and a few off target throws during desperation time, he was pretty solid. Some nifty footwork too!

13. There was a lot of talk about Van Jefferson last week after his big drop against Seattle. I thought that was premature. This week, however, he disappointed me far more. He was invisible for most of the game. He then had a drop on his first target, and ran a poor route that at least contributed to the second interception. I won't be surprised to see Demarcus Robinson taking some of Jefferson's snaps in the next couple of week and, once Cooper Kupp returns, he may have a hard time getting off the bench.

14. Cam Akers... WTF? It would seem that he may be done as a Ram... though we've thought that before. This time, though...

15. Kyren Williams is a good fit for this offense and (again, apart from the bobble that caused the INT) had a good game. I think we'll see him get some help in the coming weeks, though I don't know if it will be from Ronnie Rivers, or maybe Zach Evans gets an opportunity?

16. Back on the OL, Steve Avila looks really good. Though I simply can't ignore Puka, I could make an argument for giving him the Offensive Player of the Week.

17. Young gets the nod as my Defensive Player of the Week. 5 tackles, 2 QB hits and our only sack.

18. We need to start forcing some turnovers!

19. So, here we are... two weeks in... two tests against division rivals who made the playoffs last year. I think we're off to a solid start. There is still a lot to improve upon, and holes that need to be filled. But this is a competitive team.

20. Next up... the Super Bowl rematch!
Solid summary and I feel the same way on nearly all your points.

Noteboom - He really is a solid pass protector as subpar as he is in run blocking. He can get jolted and give up a few pressures here and there but has those quick feet and usually is solid within the team pass pro, adjusting to stunts and passing/picking rushers up. Anhrum might be able to play at Joe's level but it seems it would take time in the fire, which he hasn't had yet.

Stafford - I agree he was excellent. Not perfect but way better then the stats show. Was off on more then a few throws that his WRs bailed him out on and he missed some wide open WR's, but he really is sliding like a G in the pocket and making excellent decisions overall. Both interceptions were really not on him.

Blitz - I agree you cannot sell out the blitz constantly but you have to bring it more then we do in my opinion. The key is to be unpredictable and not let the QB get comfortable. We forced some key incompletions the few times we did. If we brought it more and coached it up/ schemed it up a little better, then we would see much better results. You also solve the no turnover issue by getting free rushers getting the sack and fumble or a QB rushing his throws and throwing haphazardly into coverage.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
20RT footnote…

It will fascinating to see how McVay and Stafford ultimately integrate Nakua and Kupp into the same offense. In a lot of ways, they are comparable and maybe even a little redundant.

If the play design and distribution fosters a complementary relationship, look out!

WestCoastRam

Legend
On the flip side, as good Purdy was distributing the ball on the short to intermediate throws, his inability to connect on the deep ball (he overthrew three open receivers) helped keep the game close.

Yeaaaaah, he makes those two throws and this game would have been real lopsided. But... that's why you play the game.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Yeaaaaah, he makes those two throws and this game would have been real lopsided. But... that's why you play the game.

Purhaps we have witnessed the limitations of Purdy. He's a dink and dunk processor, but not a downfield thrower. Hopefully our defense had contributed to putting out some tape on how to play him.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Purhaps we have witnessed the limitations of Purdy. He's a dink and dunk processor, but not a downfield thrower. Hopefully our defense had contributed to putting out some tape on how to play him.
That’s a good thing - because Purdy will need to hit on deep balls to win it all. And if he can’t do that, then the 9ers won’t get it done.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
That’s a good thing - because Purdy will need to hit on deep balls to win it all. And if he can’t do that, then the 9ers won’t get it done.

Exactly. He's small and weak and if teams start coordinating blitzes with short zones to sit on his outlet passes, he's done for.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly. He's small and weak and if teams start coordinating blitzes with short zones to sit on his outlet passes, he's done for.

The difference between the 1st half and 2nd was night and day for the Rams d. They were in their face, beating blocks and making tackles for short or no gains every time that little turd threw a short pass out wide. 2nd half came and the attitude was different. By the time dumbo scored his mandatory td against the Rams the d looked exactly the same as it always has in this losing streak. Bad tacking, bad angles, bad attitude.

That awful defensive stand in the last minute of the 1st half totally changed the game. No timeouts and they let that little turd march down the field and score a td? Hopeless.

Same thing happened in last game of the regular season in the superbowl season. All over them then a horrible defensive stand in the last minute in the half propelled the whiners in the 2nd half.

Why can't they just keep doing what they were doing for the first 29 minutes of the half?

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
That awful defensive stand in the last minute of the 1st half totally changed the game.

I think you're right. And I think the Rams should use that failure to self scout. It was like a microcosm of what needs fix'en.