20 Random Goodbye AD (and What’s Next) Thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
1. I didn't see this coming...

2. ...because I didn't want to see it coming.

3. I'm happy for Aaron Donald. He gets to ride off into the sunset having accomplished everything a player could wish to accomplish, and now can look forward to a retirement of family, good health, and countless accolades.

4. I'm happy for us for having had the chance to witness one of the great careers of all time.

5. I was fortunate enough to have seen AD play several times. The last time was in 2018 at Detroit. He had 2 sacks, including a key strip sack, of future Ram Matthew Stafford in a 30-16 win.

6. I'll be telling my grandchildren about that one.

7. Not going to lie, though... as a fan, I'm greedy. I wanted another year or two of Donald creating havoc for other teams. I particularly wanted it at this point in history, as I believe the Rams are poised to contend in the next couple of years.

8. Poor Kobie Turner... those are some massive shoes you'll be trying to fill.

9. Lucky Kobie Turner... you learned from the best, and seem to have the drive to emulate what you saw.

10. The Rams apparently knew this was coming, and still declined to pursue any of the DL on the FA market. Looking at the players who moved, I can't say I'm shocked.

11. There is no replacing Donald, but there must be a plan. I can only guess... so I will!

12. Looking at the two moves the Rams have already made on the defense - signing Darious Williams and Kamren Curl- I wonder if the Rams are hoping that a vastly improved DB will mitigate against the loss of their top pass rusher. Looking at this year's draft prospects, I believe the Rams will have the opportunity to add a top CB to the group, and I won't be surprised if this is the plan.

13. There are some intriguing DTs in the draft. Byron Murphy of Texas is a guy who could be in play at pick #19. There are also some who could be there on Day 2 that I like, including Kris Jenkins (Michigan) and Branden Fiske (FSU).

14. If Chris Shula wants to go for an entirely different type of player on the inside, we could also consider T'Vondre Sweat, the massive (6'4, 366) NT from Texas. At least he'd demand some of the double-teams Donald drew.

15. Not seeing any DT in the FA market who I'm dying to get, but perhaps a trade?

16. On the "Mount Rushmore" of "pure" Rams (players who only played for the Rams), Tom Mack must now step aside. Its Merlin Olsen, Jack Youngblood, Jackie Slater... and Aaron Donald.

17. Building the OL so that we can pound the ball and keep the defense off the field now goes from excellent strategy to pure genius.

18. This one will sting for a while, but I'm still excited about this upcoming season.

19. Man, I'm going to miss Donald.

20. Of course, there's always that Eric Weddle scenario...

Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To add onto number 12, I think its possible that all four of our day 1/2 picks could be front 7 - there are different ways to skin a cat, and getting another good ILB who can blitz alongside Ernest would cause confusion for the offense....edge and DT are obvious after this.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
16. On the "Mount Rushmore" of "pure" Rams (players who only played for the Rams), Tom Mack must now step aside. Its Merlin Olsen, Jack Youngblood, Jackie Slater... and Aaron Donald.
No need to step aside. Simply get out the chisel and make it a 5 headed granite monster. I do believe all 4 are in the HOF, joined in 5 years by AD. There certainly won't be a wait and see like with Ike and Torry.

I was trying to remember if I ever saw him in person and I don't think I have. But thanks to DirecTV and YouTubeTV, I did see every one of his NFL games.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
#16) Tom Mack isn't going anywhere. You need a larger Mount Rushmore.

Btw I think I can mebbe help. Since Rushmore is in South Dakota I have taken liberty to put a call into Gov. Kristi Noem about this egregious problem.

I'll let you know when I hear something....

~ArkyRamsFan~

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yeah, can't argue with any of this...but it's Kamren Curl, not "Culp". Perhaps you were confused by Cooper Kupp? :p

Anyway, love the interior line prospects in Day 2. You have potentially Jer'Zhan Newton, Kris Jenkins, Mekhi Wingo, Maason Smith, Brendan Fiske, etc. Lots of options to play with. Not a huge fan of Sweat (I worry a ton about his conditioning, and I don't think he has any pass-rushing potential.), but if we took him with a late second, I wouldn't be too upset.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
To add onto number 12, I think its possible that all four of our day 1/2 picks could be front 7 - there are different ways to skin a cat, and getting another good ILB who can blitz alongside Ernest would cause confusion for the offense....edge and DT are obvious after this.
On that second point, I’m warming up to Edgerrin Cooper as a prospect.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Well said

Aaron Donald is the first franchise player whose career I actively remember from start to finish.

This news is a surprise to me, it looked like he was having fun with Kobie Turner and the new youth movement.

His work ethic and training probably impresses me more than his on-field performance. We've watched his body transform from a chubby tackle to a leaner, stronger beast. He's like the NFL version of Kobe, just always in the zone.

Also, it makes it sweeter that we share the same birthday of 5/23/91. It makes me question what I'm doing with my life, but is also motivating.

Cheers
:cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2:

Memento

Name
Jemma
Well said

Aaron Donald is the first franchise player whose career I actively remember from start to finish.

This news is a surprise to me, it looked like he was having fun with Kobie Turner and the new youth movement.

His work ethic and training probably impresses me more than his on-field performance. We've watched his body transform from a chubby tackle to a leaner, stronger beast. He's like the NFL version of Kobe, just always in the zone.

Also, it makes it sweeter that we share the same birthday of 5/23/91. It makes me question what I'm doing with my life, but is also motivating.

Cheers
:cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2:

Dude, I'm literally one day older than both of you.

Memento

Name
Jemma
It sounds like you were too early for the GOAT train :p

Should've been born earlier; my mother spent - in her words - "forty hours of love" on me before finally going for the C-section. :p

Haden

Kurt Warner for President
Name
Dave
Good points. Can anyone tell me what the effect on the cap is? Are we eating a ton of dead money?

Tano

Legend
1. I didn't see this coming...

2. ...because I didn't want to see it coming.

3. I'm happy for Aaron Donald. He gets to ride off into the sunset having accomplished everything a player could wish to accomplish, and now can look forward to a retirement of family, good health, and countless accolades.

4. I'm happy for us for having had the chance to witness one of the great careers of all time.

5. I was fortunate enough to have seen AD play several times. The last time was in 2018 at Detroit. He had 2 sacks, including a key strip sack, of future Ram Matthew Stafford in a 30-16 win.

6. I'll be telling my grandchildren about that one.

7. Not going to lie, though... as a fan, I'm greedy. I wanted another year or two of Donald creating havoc for other teams. I particularly wanted it at this point in history, as I believe the Rams are poised to contend in the next couple of years.

8. Poor Kobie Turner... those are some massive shoes you'll be trying to fill.

9. Lucky Kobie Turner... you learned from the best, and seem to have the drive to emulate what you saw.

10. The Rams apparently knew this was coming, and still declined to pursue any of the DL on the FA market. Looking at the players who moved, I can't say I'm shocked.

11. There is no replacing Donald, but there must be a plan. I can only guess... so I will!

12. Looking at the two moves the Rams have already made on the defense - signing Darious Williams and Kamren Curl- I wonder if the Rams are hoping that a vastly improved DB will mitigate against the loss of their top pass rusher. Looking at this year's draft prospects, I believe the Rams will have the opportunity to add a top CB to the group, and I won't be surprised if this is the plan.

13. There are some intriguing DTs in the draft. Byron Murphy of Texas is a guy who could be in play at pick #19. There are also some who could be there on Day 2 that I like, including Kris Jenkins (Michigan) and Branden Fiske (FSU).

14. If Chris Shula wants to go for an entirely different type of player on the inside, we could also consider T'Vondre Sweat, the massive (6'4, 366) NT from Texas. At least he'd demand some of the double-teams Donald drew.

15. Not seeing any DT in the FA market who I'm dying to get, but perhaps a trade?

17. Building the OL so that we can pound the ball and keep the defense off the field now goes from excellent strategy to pure genius.

18. This one will sting for a while, but I'm still excited about this upcoming season.

19. Man, I'm going to miss Donald.

20. Of course, there's always that Eric Weddle scenario...
This....

If we are looking good for the playoffs, I could see AD coming back for a playoff run

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we could get some vets at DL or edge it would be huge before going into the draft

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We ranked 12th this past season in rushing yards allowed, on defense.
2022: 13th
2021: 6th
2020: 3rd

So… top half of the league the past 4 seasons. I’m feeling spoiled by that.

Donald’s run defense is an underrated part of his game and some big shoes to fill on defense.

Our offense needs a good run defense - get them the ball as many times possible per game.