20 Random Crashing Down to Earth Thoughts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
1. That was U-G-L-Y.

2. And we ain't got no alibi.

3. We all knew that there would be disappointments along the way, but... man, that was bad.

4. I can't escape the thought that the Number 1 problem today was a lack of effort.

5. On offense, it manifest in missed opportunities, poor execution (particularly in the Red Zone), and an inability to finish drives.

6. On defense, it was evident all day. The Rams were a step slow, and couldn't find a "splash" play all afternoon.

7. The coaching staff had a bad day too. McVay's play calling - particularly, again, in the Red Zone, was... I don't know... tone deaf? He just didn't seem to take what the defense was giving us.

8. On defense... this is not the first time we've seen Kyler Murray. And, yet... we didn't seem to have the kind of containment plan we've had in the past.

9. So frustrating to see the defense break down every time it had a chance for a key stop.

10. Burn the tape on this one.

11. Okay... any bright spots? I guess you can cite to Van Jefferson, who had a nice game.

12. That said, I do think Stafford was forcing the ball to Kupp today and ignoring Robert Woods.

13. Darrell Henderson had a nice game in his return.

14. Sony Michel... ugh, that's a one way ticket to the dog house.

15. Right now, the defense is pretty bad. I do think, however, that there is enough talent there that it can improve substantially as the season progresses.

16. What cliche should I use to swing this back to an optimistic note... "wake up call," maybe?

17. Well, we'll find out soon enough, with the Seahawks looming on Thursday night.

18. I'll say this about the Cardinals. They are improved, and are a quality team, but they don't scare me. I still think we beat them on a day that we play well.

19. Man, I hate losing.

20. Onward.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Cardinals are for real and my hope is after a big win last week the Rams let their guard down a little.

on to Seattle!

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
can‘t stand the midget

brutally bad time for a fumble

Liberator

Pro Bowler
Oh do you guys come up with these this quickly lol

but you're not wrong. Ugly game. And we can shit on the defense as we should, but an INT and a fumble gave them points as well. Bad defense gave this to the Cardinals, but mistakes made this a blowout.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Morris has yet to prove that he can scheme against an offense. He's definitely closer to Wade in that regard and not so much Staley.

jap

Legend
I wonder if we have sufficient motivation & energy to slap around the 'Hawks ... in THEIR own house?

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I just realized, they were dropping everybody into coverage against us, that's why the running game was so effective, and eventually Stafford just started running for big chunks himself on the last drive that mattered. McVay didn't capitalize on what was there for the taking, and insisted on passing all the time, even though Stafford had a bad day throwing the ball.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Cardinals were physical with our receivers and it messed with timing between Stafford and receivers.

I expect this to be the blue print we see until the Rams can beat it.

The Cardinals mediocre offensive line played well against the Rams DLine for the most part. But too many times Morris had the wrong alignments. Murray and Kingsbury toyed with Morris’ defense.

The Cards DLine brought the Rams offensive line back down to earth. Pass blocking was not great.

It took too long to get Stafford running. He was ignored for most of the game.

McVay should have threw the challenge flag. When the offense is not playing great a TD is more valuable than a time out.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
All things being equal, this is on Morris. (I know the whole team didn't have a great day)

We had NO CONTAIN.

And I'll beat this point until it's horse pate: we KNOW how to play mobile QBs and if we don't get back to it, it WILL end our season. Explicitly, we MUST avoid running those inside stunts with the OLBs if there's no plan for alternate contain. You cannot rely on the DE to run with a mobile QB and that's presuming he gets into the chase with any get up and go.

The upside is that I don't see this escalating to a systemic issue. I think after viewing the tape, this will be addressed with all due haste.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
D hasn't generated turnovers or sacks that much. After JR'S pick against Jacob Eason, nothing. And today the O gave it away. Bad combination.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
All things being equal, this is on Morris. (I know the whole team didn't have a great day)

We had NO CONTAIN.

And I'll beat this point until it's horse pate: we KNOW how to play mobile QBs and if we don't get back to it, it WILL end our season. Explicitly, we MUST avoid running those inside stunts with the OLBs if there's no plan for alternate contain. You cannot rely on the DE to run with a mobile QB and that's presuming he gets into the chase with any get up and go.

The upside is that I don't see this escalating to a systemic issue. I think after viewing the tape, this will be addressed with all due haste.
Agree with this, but also have to note that Murray's speed is unbelievable, and it showed today. I don't think an aging Wilson would have gashed us as bad as Murray did today.

Just now watched a vid of Murray sprinting against a guy who ran a 4.31 forty at the combine, and Murray was with him every step of the way.

Also have to note that as bad as our D looked today, at least it was against the #1 offense in the NFL. Cards are averaging 35 points and 440 yards per game... today they scored 37 and gained 465. So a slightly better than typical day for them.

That Cards offense is going to start getting the recognition it deserves.. they are scary talented. So if our D is going to get exposed, at least it was against the #1 offense in the NFL.

TexasRam

Legend

We had NO CONTAIN.

100%

TexasRam

Legend
I don't buy the lack of effort argument and never will. Players have millions of dollars on the line every game.

The problem is Stafford as just off today, that's OK though. It happens to every QB. His value will be determined in the big games later in the season. Plus, he's still very new in our offense so I can see him getting more comfortable and settling down with the calls and routes.

The real issue was coaching and that was very evident. The defensive personnel of 22 and 24 as questionable starters was common knowledge before the season began, but someone in that building decided to go with it. In 4 games we have seen they are massive liabilities, many of us were talking about it on this board as the loose coverage and lack of play on the ball consistently is around these two defenders.

Coaching is also massively responsible for not having the DE's contain the edge. That destroyed us in this game. We have always emphasized that vs Murray and Wilson and for some reason under Morris it disappeared. That is on him.

Great learning lesson for the coaches and if they can make the adjustments we will be fine.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Great learning lesson for the coaches and if they can make the adjustments we will be fine.
This! But do we all feel confident it will happen? I'm not so sure.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I don't buy the lack of effort argument and never will. Players have millions of dollars on the line every game.

The problem is Stafford as just off today, that's OK though. It happens to every QB. His value will be determined in the big games later in the season. Plus, he's still very new in our offense so I can see him getting more comfortable and settling down with the calls and routes.

The real issue was coaching and that was very evident. The defensive personnel of 22 and 24 as questionable starters was common knowledge before the season began, but someone in that building decided to go with it. In 4 games we have seen they are massive liabilities, many of us were talking about it on this board as the loose coverage and lack of play on the ball consistently is around these two defenders.

Coaching is also massively responsible for not having the DE's contain the edge. That destroyed us in this game. We have always emphasized that vs Murray and Wilson and for some reason under Morris it disappeared. That is on him.

^100% this, very well said TexasRam. I do believe McVay will have this team ready on Thursday

TexasRam

Legend
Agree with this, but also have to note that Murray's speed is unbelievable, and it showed today. I don't think an aging Wilson would have gashed us as bad as Murray did today.

Just now watched a vid of Murray sprinting against a guy who ran a 4.31 forty at the combine, and Murray was with him every step of the way.

Also have to note that as bad as our D looked today, at least it was against the #1 offense in the NFL. Cards are averaging 35 points and 440 yards per game... today they scored 37 and gained 465. So a slightly better than typical day for them.

That Cards offense is going to start getting the recognition it deserves.. they are scary talented. So if our D is going to get exposed, at least it was against the #1 offense in the NFL.

True but Murray also came into this game with 4 interceptions, he's prone to big time mistakes if you don't give him wide open WR's with bush league coverage and contain the edge. He has always been that way. But if you do not contain the edge he will take it for a first down every time he's in trouble. There is no excuse whatsoever for that. It's peewee league concepts.

This is why he always fades at the end of the year. Once teams get enough practice containing the edge with discipline his game disolves.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
DEFENSE:
1633318524369.png

OFFENSE:
1633318648084.png

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
The Rams had their heads handed to them.

At the same time a win @SEA on Thursday would not surprise me in the least.