2 Draft Picks That Excel, 2 That Disappoint

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Name the two picks the Rams drafted who you think will exceed expectations, and name the two whom you think that will fail to meet expectations.

The two who I think will exceed expectations are Micah Kiser and Brian Allen

The two that disappoint Trevon Howard and John Franklin-Myers

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Their first pick was in the third round....I don't think any can disappoint even if they struggle mightily.

dang

Legend
By Exceeding or Disappointing expectations I will base these on which round and number they were picked:

J Kelly - R6.176 - he has plenty left in the tank after college and appears to have a lot of the tools needed to contribute (vs just providing relief) to our offense
O Okoronkwo - R5.160) - how did this guy last this long. I know he is not the biggest/strongest EDGE player but I expect him to start by mid-season

The Unknown Soldier - R2 - Rams have nothing to show for their R2 pick traded to Buffalo for Sammy Watkins last year so its easily the biggest disappointment of the draft
J Franklin-Meyers - R4.135 - He may very well develop into an excellent addition to the DL corp but he appears to be severely over-drafted so disappointment (hopefully temporary) is in his forecast

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Exceed: Obo and John Kelly

Disappoint: Franklin-Meyers and Demby.

I do think there will be several productive players from this draft, including Boom, Allen, and Kiser.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Their first pick was in the third round....I don't think any can disappoint even if they struggle mightily.
I meant will they disappoint or exceed our expectations, for the round they were drafted in. Sorry I wasn't more specific.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Name the two picks the Rams drafted who you think will exceed expectations, and name the two whom you think that will fail to meet expectations.

The two who I think will exceed expectations are Micah Kiser and Brian Allen

The two that disappoint Trevon Howard and John Franklin-Myers
Do you mean Trevon Young or Travin Howard? (Confusing, right?)

fearsomefour

Legend
I meant will they disappoint or exceed our expectations, for the round they were drafted in. Sorry I wasn't more specific.
Who knows?
I didn't pay any attention leading up to this years draft.
It will be different have zero preconceived notions about any of these guys.
Lots of guys competing for OL depth which is good.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Jamil Demby will be a stud, mark my words....As to who will disappoint? Like others, I like to refrain from posting in a negative fashion, but I will go this route instead. IMO, the Rams will get several starters from this draft, however, the likes of John Kelly & Travin Howard will be complimentary players and special team guys.

Todd Gurley is a stud, who comes around once a decade, he'll be on the field on first down, second down and third down. We will see Kelly in blowouts, but keeping Gurley healthy is a key and I expect Malcolm Brown to also be a road block for Kelly. Howard's a tackling machine, but unsure he'll see the field as well, but I expect Howard to make big plays on special teams and be a favorite of John "Bones" Fassel.

As to exceeding expectations, well, I can't post Ogbonnia Okoronkwo because I expect him to be one heck of a player for the Los Angeles Rams, so I will go with Trevon Young from Louisville. He was a stud before hip surgery and just was getting his game back at the end of last season, so I have a feeling we bought low on him at the right time. And I believe in Demby, a tackle that will play guard and will showcase his ability early on to be the number one guard off the bench...You can't play at Maine and not be tough, the weather alone. Some of you West Coast surfer dudes, would drown in the waters of the Atlantic because it's just never warm, even in early August after a scorching July and that's just the summer.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My expectations are not High or Low on any of them. I'm only looking at them as Rotational Players anyway. Our starters from last year, along with Talib, Peters, Suh and Cook are who I'll be watching!(y);):D

Last edited:

…..

Legend
I figure we drafted a bunch of depth with 1 possible future starter on the OL.

I also think all our starting LBers are not on the team yet. We got one more key signing remaining.

Hard to be disappointed in the draft. I can only be impressed. pleasantly surprised if a gem shines in the rough. I have zero expectations from round 4 on down. It's all a dice game.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
If Noteboom, Allen and Demby play better than DWilliams, Dunn and Neary, the Rams draft was a huge success.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hard to be disappointed when 4th-7th rounders don’t pan out.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
John Franklin-Myers will surprise many exceeding expectations.

Funny I was thinking on this earlier this week Ram65...More I can find about this John Franklin (surprise 4th rd selection) the more I go:santa:.

When Brockers went down early 2nd quarter of the playoff gm the Rams chances went with him. The Falcons ran through our first line of defense with ease & our LB'ers Quinn/Ogletree/Barwin & Barron were in total "fail mode" in all their clean up actions from the porous front line. That contained veterans MT Tyrunn Walker, Ethan Westbrooks & Aaron Donald with Morgan Fox & Tanzel Smart in back up assignments. Walker & Smart's performances was dismal @ best. Veteran Walker was sent packing along with vets Quinn/ Barwin & Ogletree. Westbrooks/ Smart & Fox tried to fill in for Brockers. Smart had zero stats, Westbrooks did manage 2 tackles AD & Fox both had 5 combos & 4 tackles each along with a sack.

Last season DL'er Ethan Westbrooks started off with bad situation after bad situation....with LEO's. In TC & Pre season EW earned his first starting post in the NFL.Soon afterwards EW signed a two year, $3 million contract with the Rams on September 9, 2017. Very Soon afterwards EW lost his starting post to Brockers. It wasn't till week 10 when Wade inserted EW in @ NT to start. This was a stop gap starting assignment for EW & the last month of the 2017 season EW only managed 1 tackle:shocked:.

EW is not a NT period, but he was the best of what the Rams had collected @ 6-4 283 pounds EW is a solid 43 DE or possibly a 5 tech 34 DE. The drafting of John Franklin speaks volumes to me as towards where the Rams DL is headed in the future.

EW is slated to earn a near $ 2.3 million this seasons & become a UFA in 10 months. Wade has Brockers as the starter @ the 5 tech post for the next 2 seasons until UFA in 2020, along top reserve young Morgan Fox who played in all 17 Rams gms with 1 start for his first time. Now rookie John Franklin joins the cadre. I do not see much room here for EW. I would not forget about McKay Murphy either a UDFA rookie who looking for a job here in LA. Murphy is 6-4 295 pound 5 tech DL'er who is very powerful against the run .Murphy has pumped off 39 reps of 225 numerous times. Is there place for EW here or is this a area where the Rams can find some cap savings & go younger?

Rams invested some serious cap cash for a legit starting NT (Suh). Followed up by drafting NT Sebastian Joseph on day 3. Wade also has the largest girthy DL'er returning named Omarius Bryant 2nd yr over 6-2 320 plus pounder. Where does EW fit here? Wade is also well fortified & stocked @ the 3 tech post with Donald/ Easley & Smart & the Rams are looking @ UDFA Dalton Keene

I also have been scavenging the roster to see where Demoff & Snead can possibly find some cap savings too.....(nothing but crumbs) this is where I think this new 5 tech DE John Franklin will come in handy...where does ROD see EW this season in this Ram DL?:thinking: & can the Rams afford to trade EW for some draft asset in 2019 NFL draft to clear the road up for John Franklin?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
John Franklin-Myers will surprise many exceeding expectations.
My feelings too....I guess everyone sees a Brian Quick type....number but wtf???? I get it

Franklin Myers....exceeds....Noteboom too, but he's a 3rd rounder......
Here's one....I like Young...but he's injured....Steven Young (edit: Is his name Thompson?)..udfa Safety outta Oklahoma....4 names...all players...
2 to disappoint....
Og Odo....what ever....he's a lil on the slow side for me....another.....oh, that RB Kelly....another slow guy.

go ahead...diff. opinion...chill...whatever...

really, picks in the 4th, 5th rounds are NOT disappointments...but in a deep draft with many options......oh...one more....little Allen