1st Round | Pick 10, Rams select: RB Todd Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Okay. Somebody has to ask: Did they clear this pick with JT first? At least give him a personal heads up, so he feels wanted?
Watch the beginning of the Fish/Snead interview about our first pick. You might find your answer there. Clearly these guys do not like JT. I get the feeling JT is being a total douche to them and it is not working in his favor.

Athos

Legend
We didn't get the chance at White or Cooper. Or Scherff like others (not me) wanted.

Gurley will help the run game and brings a passing catching element to, which Mason hasn't really shown much of yet.

Still plenty of draft left.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Britt Mchenry (yes, that one) just reported on ESPN that Fish and Snead told her ahead of draft that they'd take him at 10 if he was there. Anyone else see this?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Easy, Mem. We all know that all ACL injuries are not created equal. Gurley's is supposed to be a clean tear with very little collateral damage...the type of injury that lends itself to heal well and stay healed with little to no residual issues that would affect burst or speed or durability.

That said, at first I was shocked at the pick, but thinking about it, I REALLY like this pick.

Why?

We have Tre Mason and Bennie Cunningham to start the season. Remember, Mason didn't start the season because he had to pick up pass pro. So, I don't think the time will hurt Gurley because he'll be getting mental reps and learning pass pro.

As for passing on Peat, he was my guy and I called his name and then listened slack-jawed to the commish say Gurley. That said, it's not over.

Lastly, I've watched Gurley and he's no "rich mans LeGarrett Blount". He's by far, the most talented back to come out since AP and a fair bit better than Gordon who has tons of carries already as is typical of Wisconsin backs. Gurley is a one cut home run hitter who will not only put 8 in the box, but will force teams to spy him on every play. Tre Mason isn't that guy. He's a nifty runner, but if you're being honest, you gotta know that Gurley is the best back we've had since SJ and I think we'll find out that he's the best back we've had since ED.

And for the best back in horns since ED, yeah, you pass on the OT and find value in the later rounds or FA.

Gurley is really that special. Watch again if anyone doubts. Snisher had him at the top of their board #1 for a reason.

Now, if we take no OL in the draft and sign no OL in FA, then I'll join the crowd in raising Cain, but I still think the Gurley pick is a good pick.

A55VA6

Legend
Yep. That's why I'm not mad. We wanted a top tier talent on offense and we wanted a guy that qualifies as the BPA or BVA (in my case).

That's what we got.

I would have ranked Gurley with Cooper and White hands down if I was unconcerned with the knee. But I don't have access to the medical information. Purely on film, though, he's one of the few blue chip prospects in this class.

I just hope we can find a way to get Clemmings. Coming away with Gurley and Clemmings would be beyond my wildest imagination. That would be an amazing draft. Hell, Cann or Clemmings would be amazing.
100% agree.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I can't believe we made the pick either but while I was pleased with Tre Mason last year, he didn't show me anything that made me believe he could be a top 10 back. Definitely top half of league, but not top 10. Gurley could be top 10.

I'm very curious to see what Snisher does tomorrow and Sat. If they really did plan for this, they should be able to make some things happen on the Oline. Let's see. There's serious talent at Guard at top of round 2 still - at least.

iced

this pick has grown on me - Gurley does look like a special talent, and I hope he's healthy for the next 8+ years in horns.

If healthy, I think Gurley could be one of those top 5 backs in the NFL.

Speedr@m

Rookie
Another RB.... Hmm I love this kids highlight film. I have heard folks say Adrian Peterson (I don't see that ...he doesn't have that kind of vision) but he better be Peterson

Fisher is arrogant. He coaches arrogantly ....the thing is when you don't win. The arrogance grates on fans. Fisher coaches like he has not a worry in the world

Gurley
Mason
Cunningham
Stacy who was nearly a 1k RB in a 12 game rookie season
Oh.... And Pead :sick:

The Rams have gone from never drafting a RB when Jackson was here to bringing in more Arabs than footballs. I mean Trey Watts looked like he could play last year too.

I don't dislike Gurley ....I have run out of patience with Fisher and I think there is risk in this choice.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
This is just a terrible pick. The NFL has passed Fisher by. He is stuck in NFL of 20 years ago. This NFL is a passing game and the Rams draft RB's right and left and neglect the OL. Plus the RB's were already set!!!!! Who is going to open holes for him? crickets... ... ... Now they will probably sign Barksdale and Blalock who will have them over a barrel because they neglected the OL and are not that great to begin with. Just unbelievable. I will be shocked if they draft even 2 OL the rest of the draft.
Glad they got a great RB just like Steven Jackson, having him won a lot of Super Bowls. But they had a great back. (Not knocking Steven Jackson at all, just making a point)

As a previous poster also said, I've had it with Fisher.

Very sad to watch other teams snap up all those OL like Arz grabbing one and signing Iupati.

Last edited:

RamBill

Legend
With Todd Gurley, St. Louis Rams go all-in on run game
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...dd-gurley-st-louis-rams-go-all-in-on-run-game

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Five minutes after the St. Louis Rams selected Georgia running back Todd Gurley with the 10th overall selection in the NFL draft Thursday night, coach Jeff Fisher's phone lit up.

Amongst the many texts Fisher received was a simple one that read "Congratulations, great pick." On the other end of the text was former Tennessee Titans running back Eddie George, the same running back who spent eight years carrying the load for Fisher's Titans.

While their playing styles may be different, the Rams now turn to Gurley to take a running game that's been more bark than bite, and lead it to the lofty heights that George once spearheaded.

"He’s special," Fisher said. "Their running styles are different. [But] when their careers are all said and done, he could be that guy, yes."

Since Fisher and general manager Les Snead arrived in St. Louis, they've consistently pointed out that they'd like their offense to center on a power running game. Despite some half-measures taken through the draft -- the Rams took four running backs in the first three years of Fisher and Snead's tenure -- they never fully committed to making it happen.

Which is why the results have been mediocre at best. In three seasons under Fisher, the Rams have averaged 106.3 rushing yards per game and 4.1 yards per carry, ranking 19th and 17th in the league, respectively. Although backs Tre Mason, Daryl Richardson, Zac Stacy and Benny Cunningham have flashed potential, none have been able to consistently perform against the tougher defenses in the NFC West.

In 2014, the Rams averaged 77.8 yards and 3.36 yards per carry in six division games. In their 10 other contests, the Rams rushed for 116.8 yards and 4.56 yards per rush.

Of course, those numbers can't be exclusively pinned on the running backs. A porous offensive line that still has glaring holes at center, one guard spot and right tackle is equally responsible. Now that the Rams have invested so heavily in running back, they must do the same with the front five. Re-signing tackle Joe Barksdale, signing guard Justin Blalock and/or spending some of their remaining five picks on the line would be a good start.

Some might argue that Fisher is still stuck in the past and clinging to the days of George as a way to win. There's merit to that argument but there's also recent evidence that a generational talent at running back can be a difference maker. It's why Minnesota doesn't want to part with Adrian Peterson, the player that many at Rams Park point to as the best back to enter the draft before Gurley.

Undoubtedly, there's a certain amount of risk that comes with picking Gurley, who is still rehabilitating from a torn left anterior cruciate ligament. But if he's healthy, there's no denying his talent.

At Georgia, Gurley averaged 3 yards per rush after contact and gained more than 1,500 of his 3,285 rush yard after contact. He also had 114 carries that gained 10 yards or more since the start of the 2012 season.

Gurley, who didn't visit with the Rams before the draft, doesn't know much about St. Louis other than his friendship with linebacker Alec Ogletree, who played with him at Georgia. But he does know one more thing.

"I know they like to run the ball," Gurley said Thursday night.

And with Gurley in place, finally perhaps the Rams can do it as well as Fisher has long hoped.

Moostache

Rookie
And for the best back in horns since ED, yeah, you pass on the OT and find value in the later rounds or FA.
C'mon man!?!? Better than Faulk? No way. Not even close. Faulk was the most unstoppable weapon in NFL history between '99 and '01. He was the REAL MVP of all 3 years of the GSOT peak and without him, the GSOT never happens the way it came together.

I am a mess tonight...I actually find myself agreeing with Stephen A. Smith (which is a sure fire sign that you need fresh air)...

View: https://youtu.be/4S5YAvM1_y8?t=233

Gurley pick is something I hope like hell I am totally wrong about, I hope he sets the world on fire, but he tore the ACL in NOVEMBER, despite the fantasy in the post-Adrian Petersen surgery, he won't be able to play at peak ability until 2016 IF HE HEALS 100%. Watching Bradford and Long both go down to reinjured ACLs BEFORE the 1 year mark in their "recoveries" apparently was not enough visual evidence to dissuade Snisher from the luxury pick mentality.

I'm still upset that I agree with Stephen A. about something...LOL!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
This is just a terrible pick. The NFL has passed Fisher by. He is stuck in NFL of 20 years ago. This NFL is a passing game and the Rams draft RB's right and left and neglect the OL. Plus the RB's were already set!!!!! Who is going to open holes for him? crickets... ... ... Now they will probably sign Barksdale and Blalock who will have them over a barrel because they neglected the OL and are not that great to begin with. Just unbelievable. I will be shocked if they draft even 2 OL the rest of the draft.
Glad they got a great RB just like Steven Jackson, having him won a lot of Super Bowls. But they had a great back. (Not knocking Steven Jackson at all, just making a point)

As a previous poster also said, I've had it with Fisher.

Very sad to watch other teams snap up all those OL like Arz grabbing one and signing Iupati.

Or is coming back to him. Seems to me that passing juggernaut known as the shecocks have been in the SB two years straight - no? The NFL is a passing league until you get into the playoffs. Granted we still have to get there but once you do, you have to run the ball and play great defense.

Moostache

Rookie
The NFL is a passing league until you get into the playoffs. Granted we still have to get there but once you do, you have to run the ball and play great defense.
I agree whole-heartedly that the idea of the NFL becoming a total "passing league" only is bunk. Defense and running games DO win titles and without both in the NFC West, the Rams are sunk in starting gates...I just can't shake the idea that Gurley's knee is going to change what he clearly WAS (a dynamic playmaking beast at UGa) into an unknown that may or may not recover all of his speed, all of his shiftiness, all of his explosiveness.

Gurley's highlights do exactly what an elite player's tape SHOULD do...it jumps out at you and makes the other players look like pikers. I will forever remember Torry Holt's performance against Miami (back when he was at NC State and Miami was 'Da U' and dominant) - in that game Holt exploded off the screen. He was the best player on the field and it wasn't close. I can see that on pre-injury Gurley, but risking the #10 pick on the hope that his knee really does come fully back is a tough one to take on faith...no choice now, he is with the Rams and no one traded to get him from us, so good luck Todd...until we know more about you and the O-line that will be in front of you, you just may need it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I agree whole-heartedly that the idea of the NFL becoming a total "passing league" only is bunk. Defense and running games DO win titles and without both in the NFC West, the Rams are sunk in starting gates...I just can't shake the idea that Gurley's knee is going to change what he clearly WAS (a dynamic playmaking beast at UGa) into an unknown that may or may not recover all of his speed, all of his shiftiness, all of his explosiveness.

Gurley's highlights do exactly what an elite player's tape SHOULD do...it jumps out at you and makes the other players look like pikers. I will forever remember Torry Holt's performance against Miami (back when he was at NC State and Miami was 'Da U' and dominant) - in that game Holt exploded off the screen. He was the best player on the field and it wasn't close. I can see that on pre-injury Gurley, but risking the #10 pick on the hope that his knee really does come fully back is a tough one to take on faith...no choice now, he is with the Rams and no one traded to get him from us, so good luck Todd...until we know more about you and the O-line that will be in front of you, you just may need it.
Fair enough. Those were my reservations before the draft and not much has changed that.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I don't get some of the anti-bark talk. Some people act like any rook tackle can out preform him. Barks first year starting here he was a top 10, top 12 RT. Last year you put him next to a black hole of suck in Davin and he struggles a bit in pass pro, but is still one of the best run blockers in the NFL bar none. Barks is a good tackle and some of you guys would rather just let him walk. Blows my mind. Get him, Blalock, and some rooks in the building. Did I also mention that Barksdale is consistently healthy? I want that man back on this team and have someone talented next to him.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Reasons I like the pick

1. Good player
2. Everyone I really wanted was already gone
3. We didn't do anything stupid like trade up.

Reasons I don't

1. Running back hasn't been the offensive problem for ten years.
2. He's injured.
3. He's going to put another good player on the bench when we have positions that aren't staffed with good players. Or staffed at all.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lastly, I've watched Gurley and he's no "rich mans LeGarrett Blount". He's by far, the most talented back to come out since AP and a fair bit better than Gordon who has tons of carries already as is typical of Wisconsin backs. Gurley is a one cut home run hitter who will not only put 8 in the box, but will force teams to spy him on every play. Tre Mason isn't that guy. He's a nifty runner, but if you're being honest, you gotta know that Gurley is the best back we've had since SJ and I think we'll find out that he's the best back we've had since ED.

Was that actually said? Blount is a talented guy but the things holding him back are his lack of burst (needs to get up to speed before he can really use his power and he takes time to build up to speed), his complete inability to contribute to the passing game (poor pass catcher and disinterested blocker), and his fumbling problem.

Gurley has none of those issues. He's just nothing like Blount. I also don't see Marshawn Lynch, though. Lynch has more wiggle and lateral agility. Like I said, the guy I see in Gurley is Edgerrin James. Big HB with burst and long speed that will run with power with a little bit of wiggle and outstanding hands in the passing game.