1st Round | Pick 10, Rams select: RB Todd Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
But he has it nonetheless. An ACL no less. And we already had a damn running game. We still need an offensive line, but apparently, Fisher still thinks that you only need six players on the freaking field to win.

The running game was not really that good. It was pretty average

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
But he has it nonetheless. An ACL no less. And we already had a damn running game. We still need an offensive line, but apparently, Fisher still thinks that you only need six players on the freaking field to win.

Dude. Seattle?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Gurley choked up during his interview after the selection. Anyone see that?

Tells me something about the man's heart. I am a fan already.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When they had arguably the best offensive lineman on the board and they passed on him for a guy who isn't fully healthy (because regardless of what Gurley is compared to, Adrian Peterson, he is not.) He's going to take a while to recuperate. They want Blalock and Barksdale. Fisher himself said that he's not concerned about the offensive line.

He doesn't have to be Adrian Peterson. I see Edgerrin James. And Edgerrin James in his prime was a game changer.

I don't rate Peat as highly as you do. Personally, I think Clemmings is the best OL in this draft and they still have a shot at him. The draft isn't over.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Average because of a below-average offensive line. Average because Tre Mason didn't start immediately.

Agreed but let's not act like Mason is a super star. He is a nice little player but he is not an elite talent or a player you build your offense around IMO

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Barksdale and Blalock are starting, I highly doubt that.

WHAT? You think we're going to be worse off with two proven NFL starters starting than a rookie? Are you kidding me? Barksdale and Blalock are average NFL starters at LG and RT at worst. Most rookie OLs aren't even that good. Not to mention the fact that the top OTs this year are raw and inconsistent in pass pro.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Average because of a below-average offensive line. Average because Tre Mason didn't start immediately.
Mason was a 3rd round pick who scored 4 td's and had a 4.3 ypc.
I like him too but the idea that he cant be upgraded by the best rb in the draft is silly.
How many WR have the Rams signed and drafted in the first 3 rounds lately? A bunch. Why some feel that its ok to add a WR to the crop is smart but adding a rb to a mediocre stable is a bad idea doesnt make sense to me. ITs no secret that Fisher wants to run the ball

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Marshall Faulk and Kurt Warner are going gaga over the pick. I'm gonna trust them on this one

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It's hard not to like it based on what was available. When in doubt - stay true to your board. If we have AP a decade younger - that's a pretty good fit.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
He doesn't have to be Adrian Peterson. I see Edgerrin James. And Edgerrin James in his prime was a game changer.

I don't rate Peat as highly as you do. Personally, I think Clemmings is the best OL in this draft and they still have a shot at him. The draft isn't over.

Not what I meant. I meant that he's not Adrian Peterson in that he's going to recover quickly from an ACL and dominate. He had it pretty recently. I don't expect him to come in and dominate like you guys do.

WHAT? You think we're going to be worse off with two proven NFL starters starting than a rookie? Are you kidding me? Barksdale and Blalock are average NFL starters at LG and RT at worst. Most rookie OLs aren't even that good. Not to mention the fact that the top OTs this year are raw and inconsistent in pass pro.

I'd take Peat over Barksdale easily. If you wouldn't, then I really don't know what to say to you. As for Blalock, he's over thirty. I don't want a goddamn stopgap at the O-line AGAIN.

Mason was a 3rd round pick who scored 4 td's and had a 4.3 ypc.
I like him too but the idea that he cant be upgraded by the best rb in the draft is silly.
How many WR have the Rams signed and drafted in the first 3 rounds lately? A bunch. Why some feel that its ok to add a WR to the crop is smart but adding a rb to a mediocre stable is a bad idea doesnt make sense to me. ITs no secret that Fisher wants to run the ball

And how is it a good idea to add a running back who already has an ACL with a fucking top ten pick?

Agreed but let's not act like Mason is a super star. He is a nice little player but he is not an elite talent or a player you build your offense around IMO

He'd be better if we had a fucking offensive line to speak of. Our entire fucking offense would be better if we didn't have Swiss cheese for an offensive line.

RamBill

Legend
Rams select "unique talent'' in Georgia RB Gurley at No. 10
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_f4c45e9f-3cc1-50a6-b218-dcbc2db96f24.html

The Rams came up with a bit of a surprise, selecting Georgia running back Todd Gurley at No. 10 overall.

The 6-foot-1, 226-pounder played in just six games as a junior last fall after suffering an ACL tear in November — after serving a four-game suspension at midseason for taking money for signing memorabilia.

In those six games, he ran for 911 yards on 122 carries (6.4 per carry) and scored nine times. In addition, he caught 12 passes for 57 yards and returned four kicks for 179 yards and a touchdown.

Gurley, 20, said that rehab has gone well but does not to put a timetable on his return. Can he be back in time for opening day?

"Oh yeah, I think that's a realistic goal,'' he said during a teleconference call with St. Louis media. "Everything's on schedule and I'm looking forward to coming back.

"I was a little surprised, but I'm just happy, happy to be part of the Rams.''

Both Rams head coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead are thrilled with their top pick of 2015.

"We thought he was a definitely a unique talent that only comes around once in a while,'' Snead said. "Could've gone earlier if it wasn't for the injury, so it was kind of bonus sitting there at No. 10. Hey, we've got a lot of things we need to do, but it was a consensus that that player helps everybody _ our defense, our offense, our offensive line, our receivers and our QBs. That's the pick in a nutshell.''

Fisher agreed: "His body of work speaks for itself.... It was clearly setback because of the injury, but the athletic ability, the strength, the explosion, the acceleration, the instincts that he has as a runner and he also has great hands out of the backfield. He's a complete back. We have a good group, we really like our group, but this is an opportunity, as Les said, that we could not pass up.''

Gurley rushed for 989 yards and 10 scores in 10 games as a sophomore in 2013, when he also caught 37 passes for 441 yards and six touchdowns. As a freshman in 2012, he played in 14 games and made 12 starts, rushing for 1,385 yards and 17 touchdowns. That season, he also caught 16 passes for 117 yards and returned seven kickoffs for 243 yards and a score.

Gurley, the first running back to go in the first round since 2012, started in 28 of 30 games he played for the Bulldogs. He had 18 100-yard games and one 200-yard game. His 44 career touchdowns (36 rushing, 6 receiving and 2 kickoffs) rank second in school history to Herschel Walker's 52.

Like Gurley, Fisher has not timetable for Gurley's return to the football field.

"We do know that he's not having any issues right now and the docs typically say he's ahead of schedule,'' the coach said. "This is one of those players at the position that really only come around once in a great while. We're very excited about it.

"I'll tell you this, we're not going to rush it. We may be a little on the conservative side. You know, this is the running back of our future and it makes no sense to subject him to or put him in a bad situation sooner than we have to.''

___

Check back soon for more on Gurley and any other first-round moves by the Rams.

Check out pick-by-pick updates of tonight's draft.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not what I meant. I meant that he's not Adrian Peterson in that he's going to recover quickly from an ACL and dominate. He had it pretty recently. I don't expect him to come in and dominate like you guys do.

I'd take Peat over Barksdale easily. If you wouldn't, then I really don't know what to say to you. As for Blalock, he's over thirty. I don't want a goddamn stopgap at the O-line AGAIN.

Solely next year? No, I wouldn't. Maybe you missed Peat getting his ass kicked repeatedly in the Utah game.

He doesn't have to be Adrian Peterson. Just come in and give us quality play.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Solely next year? No, I wouldn't. Maybe you missed Peat getting his ass kicked repeatedly in the Utah game.

He doesn't have to be Adrian Peterson. Just come in and give us quality play.

In the future? Like I said, I don't want a goddamned stopgap. I want to actually fix what's been a problem ever since Pace left.

You're completely missing my point. He has a recent ACL tear. Do you expect him to even be ready by Opening Day? I do not.