15 Yard Penalty For Using The N-word On The Field?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
By the way, Richard Sherman said the word thug is the new N word and I agree with him a little bit there depending on how it's used.

A bit of a tangent here, but I highly disagree with Sherman here. Thug has to do with behavior and lifestyle, not skin color. There are African-Americans I would classify as thugs, but there are plenty of African-Americans who are not thugs, and plenty of thugs who are not African-American.

I mostly associate with the gang lifestyle, and that is sadly not limited to any ethnic group.

Making this claim comes off like back when Vick got in trouble for (but never served a day in prison for, his sentence was for racketeering) dog fighting. Some claimed it was part of the culture he grew up in, so we had to respect it and not judge it or we were racist.

A55VA6

Legend
Not sure I agree with this... Most black men call each other the n word almost like "nice tackle n*****" which basically means "nice tackle brother"... the n word is rarely used by a white guy towards a black guy on the field otherwise I think we'd hear about it a lot more. Stupid penalty if you ask me.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I understand what they are trying to do, but it's something that should be up to the coaches, and expressed as unsportsmanlike conduct if a ref deems it's out of hand. When you document something as this, you set a standard for other derogatory terms of that nature to be compared to, such as gay -- especially since NFL players are open about that.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It's an unenforceable rule of course, I still loathe the word. There isn't going to be a way to do this correctly.....the only thing they can do is ask players to refrain but that's not likely to happen I would guess. This is something they didn't put a lot of thought into and it's pretty easy to see that.

Anyone ever sat close enough to hear basketball players talk trash at each other. That's some shit that would have the NFL freaking out lol.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Freedom of speech shouldn't be taken away, no matter how offensive the language is. You're sliding down a real slippery slope. If somebody calls you a name you don't like, just handle it on the next play.
OK test here: Should the coaches be able to say it then?

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Not sure I agree with this... Most black men call each other the n word almost like "nice tackle n*****" which basically means "nice tackle brother"... the n word is rarely used by a white guy towards a black guy on the field otherwise I think we'd hear about it a lot more. Stupid penalty if you ask me.

Agreed. Imo from personal experiences there is a HUGE difference between the word n***er and n***a. As you said n***a means "brother" among blacks. I have no problem with blacks not wanting people of other colors saying n***er or n***a.

I don't think its EVER ok to say n***er, whether you're black or of another color. It is a clear derogatory term with a lengthy history behind it. But I think if n***a is used between blacks there shouldn't be a problem. The term was altered to have a positive meaning. Many people don't get that. There are examples of words or symbols in the world that have been historically negative or positive, and have been changed to mean something completely different. Take the swastika for example, which didn't have a negative perception until the 20th century.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I don't think its EVER ok to say n***er, whether you're black or of another color. It is a clear derogatory term with a lengthy history behind it. But I think if n***a is used between blacks there shouldn't be a problem. The term was altered to have a positive meaning. Many people don't get that. There are examples of words or symbols in the world that have been historically negative or positive, and have been changed to mean something completely different. Take the swastika for example, which didn't have a negative perception until the 20th century.

I don't think you can, on a professional level, differentiate between the word's use in a good context for those with "privileges" and those either using it as a slur or those who erroneously think they have "privileges". I remember some nonsense early on with Incognito that supposedly he thought of himself as black, and maybe some teammates did. It's not like you can stop a game and have a style expert decide whether or not the word was appropriately used.

I personally don't think the word should be reclaimed. I think it just needs to die. The swastika is a different case because Buddhists had been using it (reversed from what Hitler did with it) for centuries before him. While I was in Korea, it freaked me out to see swastikas displayed until I realized what was going on.

This also begs the question of what about other racial slurs. While there are few that are as loaded as the N word (though there are some), use of any slur shouldn't be allowed. And you can bet that if this goes through, there's going to be a whole new level of uproar about the Redskins' name (although that opens a whole other pile of worms that is best left closed.)

The more I think about it, while I appreciate the intent, this seems like a really bad idea.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
OK test here: Should the coaches be able to say it then?
I can see your point, I just know that the minute you make a rule like this others will soon follow. Pretty soon you won't be able to even swear.
The way I look at it: not enough rules is far better than too many.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Agreed. Imo from personal experiences there is a HUGE difference between the word n***er and n***a. As you said n***a means "brother" among blacks. I have no problem with blacks not wanting people of other colors saying n***er or n***a.

I disagree. I think it's become acceptable for people within that race to say it but people outside that race cannot without it being offensive. You say that yourself.

We cannot change the pronunciation and undo the history and meaning and intent of a word.

Kike would mean the same thing if it was suddenly pronounced kick. It's the same thing.

The problem is that young black people, mostly male, never have had a shit ton of white people throwing that word in their face and don't understand what that would be like. They don't understand the history, or possibly they feel contemptuous I don't know.

What I do know is this. The word was created to be destructive and insulting by white slave owners and used widely for decades in a vicious manner. The version with the A on the end is no more than a slightly different pronunciation that stemmed from American ghettos and was originally used by black people as an insult too.

Anyone, black or white, that calls a person a dumb black or a dumb nigga is not handing out a compliment. This isn't debatable. Saying "your my nigga"......which I have heard and I'm sure others have......what does that mean? What up nigga? Where does it end? At what point is the flagrant abuse of a slur just too much.

I can assure you that if you say nigga to a black person over 40 they will most likely be insulted. This generation has co-opted it and is using it as some sort of bullshit street cred bravado.

Not one of these guys using it or selling it on an album seems to understand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Can they still say that they had sex with their opponents mother against her will.....and she liked it ?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I can see your point, I just know that the minute you make a rule like this others will soon follow. Pretty soon you won't be able to even swear.
The way I look at it: not enough rules is far better than too many.
I see no problem with cleaning up the on field language,there's no function to it ,IMO it should never have been allowed

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
BTW can we dispense with the free speech BS it is nothing close to that

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
what r u say?
It's not a free speech, free speech is only free in free forums owned forums can restrict speech,same issue as players wearing unapproved licensed merch,the NFL could make a rule NO TALK and make it stick

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
It's not a free speech, free speech is only free in free forums owned forums can restrict speech,same issue as players wearing unapproved licensed merch,the NFL could make a rule NO TALK and make it stick
Well, the entire concept of free speech has been so turned on its head that I think one has to reframe the entire concept before we can really even have an intelligent conversation about it. But yes, I see what you're saying - these are private contracts between legal entities, and they can agree to whatever they wish to. On the other hand, these contractual relationships do infact have tremendous social impact on the general population.

iced

I've actually said it jest to my friends that are black, just fuckin' with them. They laugh and don't care; it's not what you say, it's how you say it

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Well, the entire concept of free speech has been so turned on its head that I think one has to reframe the entire concept before we can really even have an intelligent conversation about it. But yes, I see what you're saying - these are private contracts between legal entities, and they can agree to whatever they wish to. On the other hand, these contractual relationships do infact have tremendous social impact on the general population.

I dunno Stranger I don't think they have that much impact on the population. Not allowing players to drop n-bombs and f-bombs is probably not going to change the use of those words among the masses.

I'm wondering if this is a result of mics being so close to the game that it's picking up things that aren't palpable to the public.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I don't like it. Freedom of speech shouldn't be excluded from a sports field. We don't have thought police or language police putting people in jail for using nasty words and we should never do so. These are grown men and they can use whatever words they like - no matter if people find them offensive or not.

In terms of penalties or sportsmanship - offensive use of racial slurs is already covered by an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty - 15 yards. So there is no need for this new rule because its already in the rule book. Enforcing this rule is a stinking example of political correctness over common sense. So now players cant say the n-word but they'll be able to shout anti-Semitic language at each other? Or anti-muslim slogans? Etc Etc. I could go on.

If someone racially abuses another player they should be given a 15 yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct and ejected. To introduce a new rule and forbid the mention of a particular word in the English language (no matter how negative its connotations which I accept the word has) regardless of context is an unenforceable and ridiculous rule.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I will say this IF they only care about the use of the n-word then f-word them.
I would hope that this does have an impact on the population at large, free speech is fine but incivility is just that ,if people exercise no civil restraint the results to a society are fracture beyond belief,we have come to believe unfortunately that our free speech rights make us immune from objection and being ostracized,certainly we have the right to say things but the rest of the world has the right to tell us we're dicks if we do.

This Fritz Pollard bunch seems to care only about the sensibilities of black people and that's disturbing , but IMO if NFL players aren't allowed to use that word ,any of them and it lessens the use in society at large,I'd say the social impact is a positive one,I love the idea of eliminating the "we can say it but you can't" hypocrisy

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I will say this IF they only care about the use of the n-word then f-word them.
I would hope that this does have an impact on the population at large, free speech is fine but incivility is just that ,if people exercise no civil restraint the results to a society are fracture beyond belief,we have come to believe unfortunately that our free speech rights make us immune from objection and being ostracized,certainly we have the right to say things but the rest of the world has the right to tell us we're dicks if we do.

This Fritz Pollard bunch seems to care only about the sensibilities of black people and that's disturbing , but IMO if NFL players aren't allowed to use that word ,any of them and it lessens the use in society at large,I'd say the social impact is a positive one,I love the idea of eliminating the "we can say it but you can't" hypocrisy
Time to watch the Supreme Court scenes in the movie "The People v Larry Flynt". The NFL (and powerful forces) are tying to regulate decency, and that's always a horrible idea.

and as Flynt showed, we never gave the gov't said power, even though they try to usurp their powers all the time and conviince the public that our freedoms are somehow limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.