15 Yard Penalty For Using The N-word On The Field?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10500657/nfl-expected-penalize-players-using-racial-slurs-games

NFL to penalize use of racial slur
ESPN.com news services........Updated: February 22, 2014

The head of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, which monitors diversity in the NFL, expects the league to institute a rule where players would be penalized 15 yards for using the N-word on the field.

John Wooten, the head of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, anticipates that the NFL's competition committee will enact the rule at the owners' meeting next month.

Wooten, who previously has urged all players to stop using the N-word, thinks the NFL will rule an automatic 15-yard penalty for first-time offenders and an ejection for second infractions.

"I will be totally shocked if the competition committee does not uphold us on what we're trying to do," Wooten said, according to CBSSports.com. "We want this word to be policed from the parking lot to the equipment room to the locker room.

"Secretaries, PR people, whoever, we want it eliminated completely and want it policed everywhere."

Wooten thinks the competition committee will officially agree to the rule next month before presenting it to the owners.

"I think they're going to do what needs to be done here," he said. "There is too much disrespect in the game."

Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
And... Cue the over-reaction police, again.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Good move...I agree. I hate it when I hear people use that word as a slang for homeboy.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Good move...I agree. I hate it when I hear people use that word as a slang for homeboy.

I don't disagree the word has no place... But what's next? Shit? Fuck? Cracker?

It's stupid! The league wants to control what the guys say? Put tape over their mouths!

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Which is why this rule will never fly. The zebras won't consistently enforce it. Kinda like the rule with RBs droppin their heads last year, did that ever get called?
If they will universally enforce it I think it's great for the game, but if they won't then it's just fodder for the nfl to grab a few headlines with.

Ram_of_Old

This may only be the beginning of overreaction from the Martin-Incognito fiasco.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Maybe I should've explained myself more.

The words like shit, fuck, etc are words that have no arbitrary meaning...we just make them bad.

The N word tho was coined and used to dehumanize humans during a dark, dark time in this country's history. It's sole purpose to was to classify slaves and even free blacks as inferior. Now these days when I hear people use it (regardless of race) I cringe on how that word used to degrade human beings is now a term of affection. It's stupid.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I don't disagree the word has no place... But what's next? crap? freak? Cracker?

It's stupid! The league wants to control wlturalhat the guys say? Put tape over their mouths!
Nah it's out of hand ,needs to be policed,they let it get that way out of misguided "cultural tolerance" I'm fine with reasserting sportsmanship in this game.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It saddens me that a generation of black people refuse to see the evil that word possesses, and when I hear people defend its use with things like they are taking away it's power by using it I effing cringe.

By the way, Richard Sherman said the word thug is the new N word and I agree with him a little bit there depending on how it's used.

Words have meanings, the N word has a nasty history and inserting it into rap music and other things in order to exploit and profit does not, and cannot ever, alter that history or it's real meaning and intent. It's a hideous and heinous slur and the casual use of it is something I wish would stop. What's worse is that a fairly significant portion of a generation is growing used to using it and don't have enough respect to realize their fathers and mothers had that slur flung at them and were mostly powerless to stop it.

It's a bad thing and it shows a lack of respect of the history that I have a real problem with, but that's just my opinion.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
NFL = No Fowl Language.

How soon before players have to enroll in Sensitivity Training, Commandant Goodell?

iced

on a serious note - i understand the precedent they're trying to set, but this is just going to get out of hand.

Another ill-consistently enforced rule that is probably going to change the outcome of games based on non-football related activity...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
"Use of the N word, defense... 15 yards... First down!"

:confused:

"Told another player he had bad breath, offense... 15 yards... First down"

"Said my pants were too tight, defense... 15 yards... First down"

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Another ill-consistently enforced rule that is probably going to change the outcome of games based on non-football related activity...
Precisely. Is it going to be enforced every time someone says that word? Is it going to be enforced equally among black and white players?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
More rules is always a bad thing when the current rules can't be properly enforced by the idiots with the flags.
I doubt they needed a new rule for that,the reason it was happening anyway was lax enforcement of existing rules is my bet.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Awe F-word! Can these D-word-heads get the F-word out of our mother F-word-ing lives yet? I F-word-ing hate this S-word! What a bunch of C-word-s!

And can I say that I agree totally with Louis C.K. here? Anytime someone uses "N-word" all they're doing is forcing the rest of us to think of the actual word. F-word-ing cowards.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I doubt they needed a new rule for that,the reason it was happening anyway was lax enforcement of existing rules is my bet.
Isn't that what our government does every freaking day to justify their mere existence?

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Freedom of speech shouldn't be taken away, no matter how offensive the language is. You're sliding down a real slippery slope. If somebody calls you a name you don't like, just handle it on the next play.

Status
Not open for further replies.