10 worst and best offseason free agency moves

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The way NFL teams make moves now, low risk is often more important than low reward. So even when they make a mistake with a signing, often a big name at a critical position, it’s not an expensive one. Thus, even the bad free-agent signings could be worse. Here are the worst free-agent moves of the offseason.

1. Knowshon Moreno, RB, Dolphins

Even with the short shelf-life for running backs these days, Moreno is showing signs of reaching his limit already at age 27 in July. Brilliant in Denver’s Super Bowl run, he stayed on the market a while and ended up in Miami on a one-year, $3 million deal—all because of health concerns, which are showing already with offseason knee issues.

2. Ryan Fitzpatrick, QB, Texans

After all the drama of Houston possibly leveraging the first overall pick to get their quarterback of the future, they ended up with one for the immediate present (and a total project for the future in fourth-rounder Tom Savage). On his fifth team in his 10-year career, Fitzpatrick has been a decent seat-warmer, but it’s not obvious what he’ll do there that Matt Schaub couldn’t—except do it cheaper.

3. Julius Peppers, DE, Packers

Green Bay is betting $27 million ($7.5 million guaranteed) that at 34, Peppers isn’t finished. He was too pricey for the Bears based on his production and cap number, but the production —7 ½ sacks for a terrible defense—is the real concern. Improved defense could propel Aaron Rodgers and Co. into Super Bowl contention, but that’s asking a lot of Peppers at this stage of his career.

4. Miles Austin, WR, Browns

His Pro Bowl days in Dallas seems eons ago, even though he just turned 30. Besides needing to prove he’s healthy for the first time in years, he’s landed in an uncomfortable place, with a quarterback duel and a thin receiving corps that got no draft help and almost certainly won’t include Josh Gordon. Austin could disappear quickly in Cleveland.

5. Michael Oher, T, Titans

Never lived up to the hype that came with him from the best-selling book and blockbuster movie “The Blind Side.” In fact, he didn’t end up on the blind side in Baltimore, moving to the right side and, last season, becoming a revolving door and a penalty machine. Oher’s in the top half of the league and he’s now closer to home, but four years at $20 million is quite a price for someone whose name exceeds his play.

6. Jason Hatcher, DT, Redskins

Showed up from the Cowboys with the tag “if healthy” attached. Naturally, he’s already undergone knee surgery that will delay his start of training camp with his new team. He could upgrade Washington’s line tremendously … if healthy. He somehow nearly doubled his career sack total last year in Dallas with 11, but he’s moving from a 4-3 to a 3-4, and he’s 32.

7. Brandon Spikes, ILB, Bills

Spikes moved to Buffalo (again, for just one year at low money) after clashing with Bill Belichick in New England; it had all the earmarks of a fresh start and a chance to show what an impact he could make. He was going to help make the move of Kiko Alonso to the outside pay off, but Alonso is now out for the year with a torn ACL. Spikes needs to do more than carry a grudge against his ex-team to make this work.

8. Champ Bailey, CB, Saints

The future Hall of Famer tops this year’s class in needing to prove he’s not washed up. After his injuries and struggles the last two seasons, Bailey had to wait a while before the Saints grabbed him for $3.75 million over two years. He’s 36, he’s surrounded by youngsters in the Saints secondary, and they’re talking about going back to the Super Bowl. The fear is that Bailey will make everyone wish he’d just start his countdown to Canton as soon as possible.

9. Toby Gerhart, RB, Jaguars

It could be a familiar trap— the backup looking good in place of the injured superstar, then proving he’s still nothing more than a backup. Or it could be a revelation, that averaging 4.7 yards a carry in less than 300 career carries in four years backing up Adrian Peterson is a sign of good things to come. Not only does Gerhart have to step out of Peterson’s shadow, he has to replace Maurice Jones-Drew. Interesting gamble, but also a costly one (three-year contract, $4.5 million guaranteed).

10. LaMarr Woodley, LB, Raiders

In the Steelers’ run of two Super Bowl trips in three years (2008-10), Woodley totaled 35 sacks. In the three years since: 18, while missing 14 games. Not a good trend, especially with his 30th birthday looming this season. Signing vets to beef up the defense was smart (mainly Justin Tuck), but for two years and a possible $12 million, this has too much potential to be a swing and a miss.

Best Free Agency Moves
By David Steele

NFL training camps will open next week, and virtually every high-profile free agent is under contract. So which teams made the best deals? Who should expect to get the most bang for their bucks? What players will pack the biggest punch on their new teams? Here are the 10 best free-agent moves of the offseason.

1. DeMarcus Ware, DE, Broncos

The Cowboys gave the rest of the league a gift by cutting Ware at the March deadline for salary-cap reasons, and the Broncos swept in with $30 million over three years. They’re betting that even at 32 (next week), his streak of double-digit sack seasons, broken at seven last year, will re-start.

2. Darrelle Revis, CB, Patriots

Revis Island shifts to New England, the Patriots’ counter-move to Denver’s early free-agency binge. The ex-Jet (by way of Tampa Bay, briefly) steps in where Aqib Talib had patrolled — and he’s hungry to prove something to the league about who’s the best shutdown corner.

3. DeSean Jackson, WR, Redskins

Another surprise gift, this time from the Eagles and Chip Kelly, who decided Jackson's contract and personality clashes were not worth it. Division rival Washington quickly decided that, yes, having a healthy Robert Griffin III throw to him was worth the bargain price of $16 million guaranteed over two years.

4. Aqib Talib, CB, Broncos

Talib is now teammates with the receiver (Wes Welker) Bill Belichick believes hurt Talib on purpose in the AFC title game. Belichick now has bigger problems — his big lockdown corner is now playing for the biggest obstacle between his Patriots and another Super Bowl trip.

5. Kevin Williams, DT, Seahawks

The Seahawks are betting that after 11 seasons and at 34 (next month), Williams still has something in the tank and will fill the gaps on the line. It’s a safe bet. Williams is of more use here than he would have been on rebuilding Minnesota. At a little over $2 million for one year, it’s extra-safe.

6. LeGarrette Blount, RB, Steelers

The Steelers like to run with big bruisers, and Blount can bruise with the best of them, as he proved down the stretch for the Patriots last year. A brilliant pick-up for Pittsburgh from the devalued running back market. Potentially a cheap blunder for New England, who didn’t think that under $4 million over two years was worth it to keep him.

7. Steve Smith, WR, Ravens

He’s just what the Ravens were missing when they let Anquan Boldin go last year — tough, clutch, someone the whole team, especially Joe Flacco, could count on. Not only do they not care that he’s 35, they relish it. The question: Will Flacco enjoy him more than Cam Newton will miss him down in Carolina?

8. Antonio Cromartie, CB, Cardinals

Purely a cap move by the Jets, for whom Cromartie played well and re-established his reputation with Darrelle Revis gone from the other side. Being 30 shouldn’t be a problem. Being part of a loaded secondary led by Patrick Peterson on the other side really won’t be a problem.

9. Jared Allen, DE, Bears

Even after 11 years and a slight drop-off last season in Minnesota, Allen is just what the Bears need. The defense was injury-riddled and atrocious, and this is a great cornerstone on which to rebuild. His contract is structured so that he’s a total steal this season (just $3 million in salary).

10. Michael Vick, QB, Jets

Vick has voiced concerns about whether he’s getting a true chance to win the Jets’ starting job, but the reality is that it’s there for him to take from Geno Smith. It’s practically a can’t-lose for the Jets. If he pushes Smith to make the leap in his second year, great. If Vick wins it outright and stays healthy (always a big “if”), they get probably his last great run as a starter. All for just $5 million.

FRO

Legend
I like how we handled free agency this year and I like that Demoff said this is how free agency will be handled from here on out. The guys we got are low cost and some could be very high reward. We have been the "winners" in free agency many years just to cut the guys we signed after 2-3 years of service.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Ha, I was expecting to see Gregg Williams on this list for some reason... :LOL:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I agree, flv. Looks like a nice deal for Cleveland to me!

SanAnRam

Just an educated redneck
Best Free Agent Move:
Rams cutting that waste of a uniform Darian Stewart
Worst Free Agent Move:
The team that signed that waste of a uniform (where the heck did he plop again??)

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
DeMarcus Ware is way past his prime. There is no way he is the best free agent pickup.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Best Free Agent Move:
Worst Free Agent Move:
The team that signed that waste of a uniform (where the heck did he plop again??)

Baltimore haha. He might start there.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Yep and they get nailed to the Worst list, Yet Seattle gets put on the Best list because they signed an over 30 DT, who has not produced up to his past abilities for a few years already. Funny how that works with the media.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Best Free Agent Move:
Worst Free Agent Move:

Baltimore

and anybody familiar with Toby Gerhart should know, since pop warner, that kids been a monster...I'm interested to see what he can do

SierraRam

Recreational User
5. Kevin Williams, DT, Seahawks

The Seahawks are betting that after 11 seasons and at 34 (next month), Williams still has something in the tank and will fill the gaps on the line. It’s a safe bet. Williams is of more use here than he would have been on rebuilding Minnesota. At a little over $2 million for one year, it’s extra-safe.

I'll bet anyone Carrington has a better year as part of a much better line

The way the media have been going I'm surprised the top 10 worst moves aren't all by the Rams, we may not have made 10 moves but I'm sure they could have made some up.

FRO

Legend
Notice how the guys on the best list are ancient? Old free agents often don't work out.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
There are a few of these that a fan can quibble with but this is the biggest head scratcher to me.

3. Julius Peppers, DE, Packers

Green Bay is betting $27 million ($7.5 million guaranteed) that at 34, Peppers isn’t finished. He was too pricey for the Bears based on his production and cap number, but the production —7 ½ sacks for a terrible defense—is the real concern. Improved defense could propel Aaron Rodgers and Co. into Super Bowl contention, but that’s asking a lot of Peppers at this stage of his career.

Thats a lot of money for one spot when you have a defense as bad as they do......and giving that money to a guy that's been slowly declining due to age is not real bright.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Notice that the majority of the teams on the worst list, are pretty crap teams(aside from maybe Green Bay) and the teams on the best list are all high profile teams? Weird eh? Kinda like teams are favored by the people that make these lists.......

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
There is not much to like about those best moves. Of the 4 guys under 30 on the best moves, Revis is the only one that doesn't have character concerns.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I like how we handled free agency this year and I like that Demoff said this is how free agency will be handled from here on out. The guys we got are low cost and some could be very high reward. We have been the "winners" in free agency many years just to cut the guys we signed after 2-3 years of service.

I agree. Handling free agency how we did works, but only if the team drafts well. So far our drafts have been very promising with this year's draft class potentially having the most upside of all three.

They've built a very solid foundation and in doing so, they've set themselves up for sustained success rather than trying to catch lightning in a bottle by adding a handful of aging free agents.

It's going to be a fun ride, and luckily for us, it appears they've started building a winning culture that should last much longer than the GSOT.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I have a feeling that Britt will be a huge pickup for the Rams. I think maybe he's finally getting his head straight and enjoys playing for Fisher. I think he finally realizes this is probably his last shot and he's got the talent. Would be huge for us to have a WR actually have a big season.

FRO

Legend
I agree. Handling free agency how we did works, but only if the team drafts well. So far our drafts have been very promising with this year's draft class potentially having the most upside of all three.

They've built a very solid foundation and in doing so, they've set themselves up for sustained success rather than trying to catch lightning in a bottle by adding a handful of aging free agents.

It's going to be a fun ride, and luckily for us, it appears they've started building a winning culture that should last much longer than the GSOT.
If you don't draft well consistently it doesn't matter what else you do you will fail in the salary cap era. I think Fisher and Snead have shown they are solid drafters. Let's hope they can string some quality drafts together.

Alan

Legend
I'm surprised that the signing of Saffold didn't make the list of top 10 best. If I was ranking the moves using their top 10 and Saffold, I'd put his signing at #3 behind Revis and Jackson.