Zeurlein Extension???

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am starting to just throw around the 'Maybe we don't re-sign Zeurlien' theory in my head.

I like him a lot, and he is a weapon, but maybe we go in a different, cheaper direction.

Just a thought that has started swirling around in my head.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
I am starting to just throw around the 'Maybe we don't re-sign Zeurlien' theory in my head.

I like him a lot, and he is a weapon, but maybe we go in a different, cheaper direction.

Just a thought that has started swirling around in my head.
Ask the bears how that worked out for them. GZ stays.

jjab360

Legend
You go cheap at K and you pay the price when it matters. The TNF miss was an anomaly, we stick with GZ.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I wouldn't get crazy paying him but it would be nice to lock him up and have one less concern for this upcoming offseason. Try to get him locked up at a reasonable price, sure, I'm good with that.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's not easy to find a good one IMO, the Panthers did in Joey Slye, however, even though I am still pissed at Zeurlein missing the very make-able kick against Seattle, he's been one of the best and I would keep him.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
This could easily become Zuerlein's final NFL contract, I doubt he expects to break the bank on us.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that we should not re-sign him if we can do it at a reasonable rate.

Just looking at all of the big contracts, the salary cap situation we are in, and the fact that we are going to have to NOT re-sign some guys, I am just wondering if this is maybe a direction the FO goes.

You could make an argument to re-sign every single guy, in a vacuum. But somebody is (And likely several guys are) going to be left standing when the music stops. There just aren't enough chairs for everyone.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just wondering what an extension would look like for him. He signed an extension in 2016 for $2.25M per year, after a really bad 2015, but a pretty good 2016.

Tucker is making $5M per year. If GZ is looking for something around that, do you guys think he will be extended? I mean, with all of the other guys we all want to re-sign.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Tucker is making $5M per year. If GZ is looking for something around that, do you guys think he will be extended? I mean, with all of the other guys we all want to re-sign.

That's just the thing, the only other player besides Zuerlein that some of us want to re-sign is Littleton. I've already come around to believing that Whitworth, Fowler, Brockers & Talib are history. jmo.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's just the thing, the only other player besides Zuerlein that some of us want to re-sign is Littleton. I've already come around to believing that Whitworth, Fowler, Brockers & Talib are history. jmo.

In that scenario, I would think that GZ is very do-able, even if he is looking for $4-5M/year.

But if you want to start looking at ways to potentially keep other guys, is more what I am thinking about, like a Fowler. Just thinking about ways the FO Might go.

Littleton is another interesting one. While on the surface, resigning him is a no brainer. And, I love him at his current price. Wade's defenses have typically not had high dollar Inside Linebackers. Would the FO shake things up like crazy and not re-sigh littleton? And look to replace him with a new version of Littleton (Unknown young player)? It sounds crazy at first, but I have been around long enough to see things WAY crazier than that.

Again, I am not pushing or hoping for these things. The trades and the salary cap implications have my brain tossing stuff around.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
There is a reason his nickname was Money.

And I have never seen a kicker so excellent at on-sides kicks in my entire life.

I liked Mike Lansford better than Jeffrey Allen Wilkins , however, he was great at the on sides kick.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Just wondering what an extension would look like for him. He signed an extension in 2016 for $2.25M per year, after a really bad 2015, but a pretty good 2016.

Tucker's also the most consistent kicker in the history of the NFL with one of the biggest legs to boot (no pun intended).

He's the Johnny Hekker of place kicking...

But yeah, GZ might get a modest raise, but it wouldn't be much. I really don't think he wants to go to a new team. Lots of kickers change teams, get the yips for a minute and find they're out of the league. Kickers spin out of the league maybe faster than any other position.

tklongball

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Without him, we didn't go to the superbowl. Keep him.
Again, not in a vacuum.

Yes, I would like to keep him too, but my question is deeper than talking about one guy (in a vacuum) who has been really good. We can't keep everyone.

I, personally think we keep GZ, but I wouldn't be floored if we went with a younger kicker to save around $3M/year. Remember, we have a lot of REALLY expensive guys and it will take losing some good players to fit the ones we are keeping under the salary cap.