Zac Stacy - Starter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SierraRam

Recreational User
images

iced

and yet they kept in to pass block 90% of those cases. I liked Pead because I saw his ability for what it was. That has nothing to do with my liking him more than the others. I thought he has a skill set that makes him the best all around RB on the roster. I also never sugar coated his issues or lack of maturity.

I'm 100% with you. I feel like I'm one of the few that doesn't undervalue Pead or appreciates what he does bring to the table in the mean time. There isn't a running back on the roster with the combination of skills that he has: he's a space player w/ good hands that can run routes and also be solid in pass pro. Not to mention he was a great asset in having one of the better/top coverage units on ST's in the 2nd half of the season.

reggae

Ever since we drafted Tre Mason there seemed a groundswell that he'd share carries with Stacy. After watching two PS games, it appears Mason will be a legit factor in the running game once he adjusts to the pass protection requirements.

But... This post is about a general vibe I sense among some that Zac is the starter by default with Mason or Cunningham poised to take over.

Look; I love Cunningham and Mason. Both could fill in, and start with success. But; Stacy is the starter and hands down our best RB.

I get that his preseason numbers (like all RB) is not all that flashy... But Stacy is a special runner. Low to the ground. Quick/choppy feet. Positive yards. Falls forward.

I hope all the backs kick ass... but Stacy is our starter for good reason. He's the wrecking ball.

Thoughts?
Maybe. But, he hasn't shown at all.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
Ever since we drafted Tre Mason there seemed a groundswell that he'd share carries with Stacy. After watching two PS games, it appears Mason will be a legit factor in the running game once he adjusts to the pass protection requirements.

But... This post is about a general vibe I sense among some that Zac is the starter by default with Mason or Cunningham poised to take over.

Look; I love Cunningham and Mason. Both could fill in, and start with success. But; Stacy is the starter and hands down our best RB.

I get that his preseason numbers (like all RB) is not all that flashy... But Stacy is a special runner. Low to the ground. Quick/choppy feet. Positive yards. Falls forward.

I hope all the backs kick ass... but Stacy is our starter for good reason. He's the wrecking ball.

Thoughts?
Situational with Stacy the default with the schedule we have. If our Oline is opening big holes and its there for the taking then put in Mason majority. Hes got the moves and speed (save Stacy). But games like most in the NFC West will be one in the trenches where Stacy will need to grind. Dont forget Benny. I hope they turn into the Saints committee in their peak. Thomas Ingram and Sproils

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Cunningham has put up better YPC last year, and this year in the preseason. I would think that he should get a shot at the starting job.
How about when he fumbeled against the Falcons when nobody even touched him with a clear path to the endzone? No.... I'll stick with stacy the BIG bAD bEETLE bORG!

Couldn't Harkey replace Pead? Great blocker, good receiver, not sure about his running, but hell Pead never ran the ball anyway, and we're only talking about 1.5 snaps per game going off Pead's game 5-16 average.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Cunningham has put up better YPC last year, and this year in the preseason. I would think that he should get a shot at the starting job.
His YPC is well above Stacy's, yes that is true. But the sample size is also greatly different, a 3:1 ration in Stacy's favor. The more carries a back gets, the more they tend to break down. Not to discredit Cunningham, I like him, I think he could eventually start elsewhere. He is the SPELL back, once Stacy wears down the D SPELL him with a faster back, Cunningham. Cunningham had one good run against Indy, and a good 2nd half against the Bears, who are lousy in run D. If you took those two away his stats are a lot less impressive. To end by an example, both Pead and DRich had a better YPC than Steven Jackson in the 2012 season.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Also I think that Stacy will have a better season overall. (Fingers Crossed) He will be running behind a healthy, and talented, and consistent O-Line. At some points last year Stacy was running behind Smith, Williams, and Barnes on the inside, an underwhelming inside unit. (I think Barnes will be better with experience). Also he will have Bradford throwing the ball. Stacy only started with Bradford in a quarter of his games. Having Bradford in will force defenses to play pass coverage, and not just stopping the run on 1st and 2nd downs. Kellen Clemens was not scaring anyone last year, maybe Indy? With Clemens in last year Stacy saw a lot of 8-man boxes.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Mason is a complete liability in Pass Pro. Benny is our best blocking RB. Untill mason can block, I cant see him moving up the depth chart. Great agility though

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think Cunningham will be much improved. He was good last year coming off of a broken leg. He now has a year of healing and building strength. He is going to be good.

Cunningham and Stacy should split reps to alleviate the pounding Stacy takes with his bruising running style.

If the line starts blowing up some big holes I prefer Benny's speed to break some longer runs.

Last edited:

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Situational with Stacy the default with the schedule we have. If our Oline is opening big holes and its there for the taking then put in Mason majority. Hes got the moves and speed (save Stacy). But games like most in the NFC West will be one in the trenches where Stacy will need to grind. Dont forget Benny. I hope they turn into the Saints committee in their peak. Thomas Ingram and Sproils

I agree, all three are similar in stature but have their own style. Keep them fresh and go with the hot hand when the situation calls for it. Let’s face it, it all starts with the o-line, if Long and Robinson two behemoths can open up holes that a Mack truck can run through they could have Kadeem Jones back there.

Ram4life11

Rookie
Great point I never knew that, CoachO said Pead got a lot more reps at RB down the stretch of the season. I didn't remember if it was true, so I didn't debate it...

Irish

Starter
Stacy and the Rams RB situation presents an interesting conundrum in fantasy. Last year, Stacy was absolutely the lead dog, getting the majority of the carries and leading the team in all major statistical categories for the position. Owners that drafted him, or picked him up early in the waiver process were rewarded with one of the best fantasy seasons at the position relative to the amount of games he was "the guy".

But there are lots of things to look at to suggest that Stacy is going to have a rough 2nd year, at least from a pure fantasy perspective. The first is the addition of Tre Mason. Mason, a heisman trophy finalist, has more of a pedigree than Stacy did, and so far has shown great burst on some runs, albeit against lesser talent. Benny Cunningham, undrafted last year, has a year of NFL experience under his belt and looks the part of "bruiser" that Fisher covets: big, physical dominating physique, and runs behind his pads better than anyone on the roster. Not to mention the Rams feature a very fragile Rodger Saffold at right guard and a rookie LT playing guard for the first time in years on the left side, and a center situation that is much more fluid than many care to admit point to the Rams experiencing (some) difficulty on the interior line, and so far the offensive line has lacked any notable surge on running plays early in the preseason.

The main thing that points to a regression for Stacy, however, is the possibility of Sam Bradford playing 16 games, and of having a more talented back up in case Sam goes down again in Hill. Necessity dictated a power running game come about simply because the Rams did not have the talent to throw the ball successfully. That has changed in a BIG way this year, with Sam looking the part of talented, poised pocket passer and the emergence of WRs who either were not difference makers or are new to the roster.

A crowded backfield, question marks at the "running game" positions on the offensive line, and a change in philosophy from the second half of last season all suggest that Stacy is headed for a decline from a numbers standpoint.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
:eek:

Just got a chance to read this thread in its entirety since posting.

Look; I think we've got 3 solid guys. Truthfully, once Mason gets his blocking down they are all capable starters - isn't that a good thing? (Pead isn't in the convo due to injury)

When I started the topic my intent was to express "don't be so quick to replace Stacy". The other guys will get their share of carries but Stacy proved last year capable of being a 1000yd back. I think that's what the coaches saw... And want!

If Stacy gets banged up, we've got 2 guys who can step up. The depth at this position is excellent!