Zac Stacy at NFL Rookie Symposium

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
symposium-sophomores-960.jpg

Courtesy of the NFL

So This is the NFL, Part I
Every summer, the NFL's first-year players travel to a hotel in Northeast Ohio for a crash course on what life is really like in pro football. This year, we were there too. Here are Days 1 and 2 at the Rookie Symposium
By Robert Klemko

AURORA, Ohio — The Rookie Symposium is not the first test of an NFL player’s resolve, and it is never the last. Its importance is ambiguous; a matter of individual realization. You can sleep through it, as Ryan Leaf did during the second symposium in 1998. Or you can take pages upon pages of notes, as one intrepid neophyte, the one drafted in front of Leaf, did that same year (a rare sight; organizers still recall Peyton Manning’s week fondly). There’s not one right way to do the symposium, just like there’s no perfect path through an NFL career.

There is, of course, a wrong way.

This time around, the stage is Aurora, Ohio, at the Bertram Inn, a three-star spot that goes for $69 a night during weeks when the NFL hasn’t booked it exclusively and posted security guards at both street entrances. Rookies from the 16 NFC teams have flown in from all over the contiguous U.S., and on Sunday night they find themselves together in a dark ballroom seated in leather chairs organized in rows according to team.

Former Chiefs general manager and current Falcons assistant GM Scott Pioli takes the stage in a white dress shirt, tan blazer, dark brown pants and darker brown leather shoes.

“Some of you might say, I’m just a football player; I don’t see myself as a role model,” he says. “You will find that young people look up to you. There are people with jobs much harder than ours who look up to you.”

Secluded in a corner pocket of the ballroom, the next speakers wait their turn. All three of them were here as students a year ago, and all three became starters in their rookie seasons. Gio Bernard, the clean-cut speedster from North Carolina via Ft. Lauderdale, will join the former black sheep son of an NFL legend, Bears guard Kyle Long, and southern-fried Rams running back Zac Stacy in the opening panel. The three of them crack jokes and watch Pioli’s 30-minute presentation on a flat screen in the green room, ducking out occasionally to check on the USA-Portugal soccer match in another room.

Just before it’s the sophomores’ turn, Bernard turns serious.

“No matter what you say, there are guys who are going to listen, and some who just aren’t.”

DAY 1
This is the most elaborate and expensive orientation in American professional sports. The league previously held the symposium in a different town every year, but in 2012 decided the final day should end in a visit to nearby Canton and the Hall of Fame. This isn’t the league filling out some human resources checklist. For the men and women who work the event, this is an effort to better the lives of its athletes by letting them know exactly what’s available to them, and what’s expected of them. It’s part of the league’s effort to see fewer DUIs, concussions, drug charges and suspensions, incidences of off-field violence and post-career poverty.

The location has changed, but the timing of the symposium is non-negotiable. The league wants to reach its first-year players before each decides what to do in July, the month with the greatest potential for both growth and misbehavior.

“Right now,” Pioli says, “is the most dangerous time of your rookie season.”

After Pioli’s 30 minutes, and a brief Q&A session, are done, the panel of second-year players begins. Long, Bernard and Stacy are joined by mediator Ross Tucker, a former NFL offensive lineman who is 15 years older than the sophomores. Before long, they’re schooling him on something called Tinder.

“Don’t give your number out,” a sophomore says, “or you’ll have to change it.”

They recall how one attendee of the 2013 symposium invited a woman to his hotel room and was fleeced of his valuables.

Said Long: “There’s a business in taking advantage of guys like us.”

The moral: “Don’t trust people.”

The sophomores are blunt and, often, tongue-in-cheek. Stacy steals the show.

On cooking: “Try to cook something. I ain’t the best cook. Throw some hot pockets in the stove or something.”

On the rookie wall: “I hit mine during OTAs.”

On women who pursued players in college: “Cut ’em off.”

Long follows: “Throwback Thursday.”

Bernard piles on: “Flashback Friday.”

Bears rookie running back Ka’Deem Carey sticks his teammate with a tough question: “How do you deal with the success your family had in football?”

Long, brother of Chris, son of Howie, pauses to think.

“That’s a good one Ka’Deem,” he says, “I just have a chip on my shoulder. I’m still mad that my brother’s high school jersey got retired.”

Tucker is an old pro in this realm, having hosted radio shows and podcasts as a full-fledged member of the all-encompassing “media” so often discussed and derided among these players. With Tucker on his feet and playing point, the panel moves from online dating to head injuries to the virtues of mobile banking alerts.

Says Stacy with a drawl: “You’ll be surprised if you wake up and five G’s are missing from your account. You’ll be lookin’ ugly.”

After the panel breaks up and the rookies head into their breakout groups, Stacy departs the symposium for the second time in his career. The panel was a time for jokes, he says, because the rookies looked half-asleep. The breakout groups, on the other hand, are something serious. Rams rookies were paired with the Vikings a year ago. In that intimate setting, Vikings defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd shared part of his story of family tragedy and abuse.

Despite my unique access to the inner-workings of the symposium, the breakout is a setting not open to the media. Teams worry that a media presence, no matter how discreet, could stunt the progress happening in the room. Thus, I have to ask insiders what it’s like.

Says Stacy, “It wasn’t no light, funny thing.”

rookie-symposium-2013.jpg

Rookies at the symposium, shown here in 2013, face long days of lectures, with various former players heading up each session. (John McDonnell/The Washington Post/Getty Images)

DAY 2
Every team has a player engagement rep and a clinician present, and many send more than that. In recent years, teams have staged similar rookie seminars prior to the symposium and throughout the season. Many team reps believe the league symposium should be longer, or broken into two sessions, before and after the season. Some wonder why the league’s many undrafted rookies aren’t here in Aurora. All take a great deal of pride in their work.

“This isn’t just about educating them,” says one NFC clinician, “it’s about empowering them.”

After a buffet breakfast in the hotel’s conference center annex, the players reconvene at 7:45 a.m. for a trivia session with former Giants wide receiver, and current NFL employee, David Tyree. Using remote keypads, players answer questions pertaining to yesterday’s lectures with prizes ranging from footballs to Bose stereo equipment for the individual and team winners. They will do this at the beginning of each large session.

“Rap with me, rap with me,” Tyree says, quieting the room. “What percentage of you won’t be around by Year 4?”

The answer was part of Pioli’s presentation: 40%.

The morning is filled with breakout groups splitting the rookies into amphitheaters for four sessions: Respect at Work, Financial Strength, DUI Prevention and Emotional Wellness.

stallworth.jpg

Donte Stallworth’s career never rebounded after pleading guilty to DUI manslaughter charges in 2009. (John McDonnell/The Washington Post/Getty Images)

Next up is a panel on “total wellness” led by former NFL players Donte Stallworth, James Thrash and Patrick Kearney. Stallworth led the two smaller group sessions on DUI prevention. In partnership with MADD, the session is essentially a reminder to use a combination of the many resources, such as Uber, and common sense to avoid a fate like Stallworth’s.

It is Stallworth’s first time at the symposium following his 2009 arrest—and jail term—for DUI manslaughter in the death of 59-year-old Miami man Mario Reyes. The moderator is Dwight Hollier, an NFL linebacker from 1992 to ’99, the bulk of it with Indianapolis. He’s not as engaging as Tucker, but he knows his subject matter intimately, steering the conversation to Stallworth.

“Only a fool learns from his own mistakes,” Stallworth told them. “The wise man learns from the mistakes of others. Let me be your experience. Let me make the mistake. Learn it today from me, not on your own. You don’t want to think, every single day, that you were involved in ending someone’s life.”

Thrash details his encounters with homeless men in Washington, which gave him a new perspective in privilege. Kearney talks about the importance of considering life after the game. Stallworth offers insight on the NFL’s plan to phase out use of the N-word on the field.

“Bill Belichick won’t allow those words at all,” he says. “The more you train yourself, the better off you’ll be.”

Another breakout follows, then lunch, then another large session. This time it’s Rams team physician Dr. Matthew Matava, who reads off warnings from a laundry list, and recites a doctor’s suggestion that makes perfect sense, but simply doesn’t translate to the gridiron.

“If you see a guy who may have a head injury, notify the medical staff,” Matava says. “Let them know that the guy next to you is not himself.”

Blank stares.

“If you combine anti-inflammatories, you may lose blood through your gastrointestinal system resulting in anemia.”

Blanker stares.

At 3:15 pm, the doctor is out and the ex-player parade returns. Eddie George, Donovin Darius, Ricky Williams and Brian Banks will lead a panel on “reaching out,” meant to spell out the resources available to rookies. The players are familiar with each man’s story before it’s spelled out in NFL Films clips on the big screens. George, the Ohio State legend, played nine NFL seasons and graced the cover of Madden when most of the rookies were in elementary school.

Few rookies would have remembered the blockbuster trade that made Ricky Williams a Saints draft pick in 1999, but all should recall his marijuana suspension and subsequent early retirement in 2004, before a return to the Dolphins and a CFL stint. Darius was a first-round pick of the Jaguars in ’98 and last played for the Dolphins in 2007, and now works in Player Engagement.

Banks is the only wild card. There is no Films reel to explain his story, so he does it himself: He was falsely accused of rape as a high school junior, spent five years in prison before being exonerated, and was a preseason member of the Falcons last season.

For the first time in this symposium, the room seems captivated with one person.

A rookie asks, “Have you forgiven the woman who falsely accused you?”

Banks: “For me all I ever wanted was my freedom back. I didn’t seek revenge. I’m done with this completely. I could forgive her or I could keep hating her, but I just have to move on.

“What am I gonna do with this small window of opportunity? Am I gonna wait for somebody to give it to me, or am I going to take it? Running out of that tunnel with the fireworks and the crowd screaming, that’s an experience you’ll never feel again. Take advantage of it.”

brian-banks.jpg

Brian Banks lived out his dream in 2013, attending training camp and playing in preseason games with the Falcons. (David Goldman/AP)

Darius alludes to his post-career depression and pointed to Junior Seau’s case as a warning against internalizing angst. Williams and George warn against the same.

“It behooves you,” George said, “to begin this journey with the end in mind.”

More breakout sessions. More food. Long tables filled with fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, salad bars, greens, fruits, chips and M&Ms with tiny NFC team logos printed on them.

Former NBA player Chris Herren is the night speaker, and his story is a familiar one to NFL staffers who are captivated nonetheless. Herren’s addiction to narcotics, including Oxycontin and heroin, saw a promising NBA career dashed and his life threatened on numerous occasions. Wearing a dark blue suit and nursing a cough for his third symposium, Herren paces back and forth in the green room with his hands clasped. Upon introduction he skips to the stage and fist bumps a production assistant.

He describes his first hard-drug experience: “That one line would take 14 years to walk away from.”

Forty-five minutes later, the rookies file out with mixed expressions of “wow” and exhaustion. It has been the longest day of the symposium, and there’s another breakout session remaining. For 12 hours, they’ve learned about addiction, DUIs and depression from men who experienced them, all former players.

This was not always the design of the symposium. It began under a director who favored skits in which counselors would act out scenarios that might occur in players’ lives. When Troy Vincent was hired as VP of Player Engagement in 2010, the former Eagles cornerback re-hauled the format. Vincent, who had spoken at the symposium every year since ’98, brought in recent retirees who were his contemporaries. He put an emphasis on identifying former players who hadn’t walked the straight and narrow, making them uniquely equipped to offer insight.

“Troy was a visionary in terms of the way he structured this thing,” Hollier says. “With the peer to peer process, when you see a guy who’s worn the boots, the connection is powerful.”

Vincent was in the process of planning this symposium when he was promoted to Executive VP of Football Operations in March. The philosophical shift opened the door for a Pacman Jones a year ago, and Stallworth and Player Engagement rep Tank Johnson, a former defensive tackle who was arrested multiple times during his career. After Monday night’s breakouts, Johnson, 32, stopped to laugh, “Who would’ve thought Tank Johnson would be here giving advice?”

Vincent’s vision carried on without him.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Lot's of excellent bad examples, wonder what the long term effects of all this will be.
Don't get me wrong it's a noble effort by the league, but it's pretty late in life to try and change attitudes with a symposium of that duration.
JMO most guys that age are full of the confidence of ignorance and will make their own pratfalls before they learn the hardest lessons if they don't already know them.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
That was excellent. And good to see you, Thor...hope you are well.
Great seeing you too man ,yes I'm doing quite well,I was hoping you'd make your way over here welcome old friend welcome in deed

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Only has to change one to be a success.

That being said, I suspect the greatest effect is that it might get a couple of rooks to give less influence to hangers on from their pre-pro days.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Only has to change one to be a success.

That being said, I suspect the greatest effect is that it might get a couple of rooks to give less influence to hangers on from their pre-pro days.
It's already a success because what it really is amounts to the league addressing a public outcry that THEY are somehow responsible for showing these guys how to handle themselves because they pay them so damned much,and it's the employers responsibility to keep them from going broke etc.
I've been through a bunch of these symposiums to position the organization as responsibly apprising people in their employ how the org. expects them to act.
This is IMO about PR more than concern ,Joe Guilliam is an embarrassment to the league,some people actually THINK the money destroyed him,I say he used it to destroy himself,the money only magnified the light of his burn out.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Good, Les- You?
Off topic, Just curious, and maybe a Little jealous, How does a "New Member" with only 8 Messages get 2.7M+ In Credits? What's you trick? or do you Know somebody!? I could use that kind of money for Football Bets this Season!:D

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
No complaints ozone good to be posting with you again

Dave51 I've been telling everybody that Rams and Gators misappropriates funds...... there should be an investigation :whistle:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Off topic, Just curious, and maybe a Little jealous, How does a "New Member" with only 8 Messages get 2.7M+ In Credits? What's you trick? or do you Know somebody!? I could use that kind of money for Football Bets this Season!:D
He's not a new member. He signed up Feb of last year, so his interest has been accruing.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
He's not a new member. He signed up Feb of last year, so his interest has been accruing.
Once I can invent time travel, I can sign up back when the ROD Cash was first instituted and thus be richer than the dreams of Croesus... in ROD dollars.

Irish

Starter
The offseasons are mine fields littered with bad decisions. The sooner these kids can understand that their decisions affect not only their immediate earning potential, but the rest of their family's lives, the better the game and more importantly what happens after the game to will be for them.

Stallworth's story is always incredibly sobering

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The RB from Cinnci seems pretty sharp...Wonder who let the skeezer swipe all his jewels at last years symposium? This Stacy kid, starting to really like him. Bench 500+ lbs, from Vandy....Rookies aren't like the used to be, rather, there are a lot more of the good rookies than before....or maybe Snisher & scouts are finding some great ones, more often, esp in the later rounds....5th round rb? After D Rich, I almost expect every 7th rounder to make the team...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Once I can invent time travel, I can sign up back when the ROD Cash was first instituted and thus be richer than the dreams of Croesus... in ROD dollars.

that would be the first thing I would do with a time machine too :ROFLMAO:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
redskins-play-60.jpg

Tony Dejak/AP

So This is the NFL, Part II
Every summer, the NFL's first-year players travel to a hotel in Northeast Ohio for a crash course on what life is really like in pro football. This year, we were there too. The rookies took two field trips and were hit with some blunt advice from Hall of Famers during Days 3 and 4 at the annual Rookie Symposium
By Robert Klemko

AURORA, Ohio — The players are exhausted on all fronts. Some are even annoyed.

This has been the message for as long as there’s been a rookie symposium in the NFL: Odds are, you won’t make it in this league.

It’s Day 3 of the league’s annual orientation in Aurora, Ohio, and Niners VP of Football Affairs Keena Turner can see the mental fatigue setting in: “Players get tired of hearing that the average career only lasts three years, but it’s like my kids; I can’t just tell them something once and expect them to get it.”

Says former player J.R. Tolver, a Tuesday panel speaker, “You hear that three-year thing and you say, That’s them, not me. After a while they keep saying it and you’re like,Next.

From the time they arrived Sunday, one rookie estimates he’s heard the three-year stat no less than 30 times. There’s good reason: These four days are up against, in some cases, a lifetime of poor mentorship and the impending summer of idle hands and fat checkbooks.

DAY 3

Money is a constant theme here, whether it’s the earning, saving, investing or spending. In a morning session on media relations, Tucker tells the rookies a normal 30-second radio commercial costs $5,000, but players get interviewed on the radio for free. They ought to take advantage of the free marketing. NFL Vice President of Football Communications Michael Signora joins Tucker onstage, unintentionally alternating pronunciations of “media” when reading off a teleprompter and not.

“Remember that you’re talking to fans,” says the Long Island native, “not the medi-er.”

After the morning session the rookies pile onto buses for their first trip away from the Bertram compound. Traditionally, the third day of the symposium is spent at an NFL Play 60 event hosted by the Browns at their Berea practice facility. Reminded by observant NFL staffers to flip their backwards and upside down visors to the proper position, the rookies join about 100 elementary school kids on the practice field for a series of improvised football drills hosted individually by each team. The results were fantastic.

You know those Play 60 commercials with exuberant kids and grinning football players running around in slow motion as if they’ve never been happier? It was like that, but in real life… for two hours. Chris Borland, the 49ers’ fourth-round linebacker, dazzled a group with a tumbling routine including three backflips. Vikings rookies took turns placing playful jams on mini-receivers. Washington rookies bashed children with orange handheld pads, looking sheepishly back at NFL chaperones for approval as the kids tumbled to their bellies.

logan-thomas.jpg

Cardinals quarterback Logan Thomas and the rest of the NFC rookies had the chance to play around at a Play 60 seminar. (Tony Dejak/AP)

Some 20 reporters waited for Michael Sam to submit to an interview, one of few since his coming out prior to the 2014 NFL draft. Yet none of the assembled scribes worked up the nerve to ask a question overtly related to his sexuality, much less mention the word “gay.”

Local media swarmed Teddy Bridgewater, who was asked to defend comments that he’d told his agent Cleveland was not where he wanted to go on draft night.

When the interviews are done and the children have had enough, a BBQ awaits at the end of the field. The kids have a chance to sit and admire players up close, but halfway through lunch the long-posturing clouds open up and the party’s over.

By 2:30 p.m., the rookies are back in the big room. Dr. John York, co-owner of the 49ers, is talking about the NFL’s expansive efforts to track injuries and make the game safer. It’s the first time in 17 years they’ve had an owner at the symposium. To the chagrin of several organizers, a restless rookie shouts “What’s up Doc!” when York takes the stage.

A lack of couth is nothing new at the symposium. Many on the production crew have been working the audio and visual components of the event since 1998. They can recall, from nearly each symposium, the players they thought would suffer in the NFL based on behavior here. Sean Taylor, who was fined for leaving the 2004 symposium, was an obvious choice. When he wasn’t skipping sessions, Pacman Jones actually turned his back to the speakers and slept for some of the symposium.

At the 1998 symposium in Denver, Ryan Leaf stretched out across three chairs and slept, then left. Meanwhile, a few seats away Peyton Manning filled his notebook. Guess which one is a Super Bowl champion and which one currently sits in a Montana prison.

There are sleepers in 2014, too. One observer counted three snoozers during the 8 a.m. media session. And while a rules session with Dean Blandino brings excitement over highlight-reel hits, a dozen questions and some dry wit from the NFL’s officiating boss, there are more sleepers by the time Tolver, Ryan Mundy, Jordan Palmer and Deion Branch step up for a panel on life after football.

Tolver, whose wife and young daughter listen in the green room, describes how he turned earnings from six pro football seasons into a successful Panamanian commercial recycling business. Branch describes his experience shadowing a homicide detective in Albany, Ga., in 2004—and the subsequent realization that he never wanted to be a homicide detective.

All talk about the importance of networking, with Palmer clarifying: “The bottle service guy is not part of your network.”

michael-sam.jpg

Not surprisingly, Michael Sam was a popular man during media availability during Tuesday’s outing. (Tony Dejak/AP)

As the panel wraps up, the league’s breakout facilitators prepare their conference rooms for the second-to-last session of the symposium. Donovin Darius, hired by the league a year ago, lights a Yankee candle and plays A Tribe Called Quest’s mellow classic “Check The Rhime.”

The lights are on when the Rams and Buccaneers rookies arrive in a room with about 15 chairs arranged in a semicircle facing inward. There’s no sleeping here. The conversations in the private setting are engaging and informative. Panel speakers occasionally drop in to answer questions, but this is about the players figuring it out for themselves.

“I just facilitate,” Darius says. “As they come out of here they’re going to have a game plan for success, not because I gave it to them, but because they learned and listened.”

Taped up on the walls of the room are seven large pieces of paper with categories of challenges the rookies will face: Family, Friends, Financial, Character, Relationship, Rookie Year and that all-important Next Month. By the end of the session, the pages will be filled with specific challenges, solutions and resources.

Near the end of his second symposium, Darius rattles off the most consistent concerns of players:

How do you deal with females understanding that you’re now a target?

How do you deal with the entitlement of family members who now see you for what you can give them?

Who can I trust to support my interests in the NFL?

“This generation is much more aware than we were,” says Darius, a 1998 first-rounder who played 10 NFL seasons at safety. “They’re more confident than we were, because of technology and everything available to them. The danger is too much information. You can get paralysis by analysis.”

Dinner is Bubba Q’s boneless ribs, a revelation to the SEC rookie contingent. Bubba (former NFL defensive end Al Baker) has developed a way to remove the bone from the rack of ribs without damaging the integrity of the meat, an innovation that landed him on the reality show Shark Tank and propelled his Avon, Ohio-based business into a regional power.

But Bubba is just an appetizer for the symposium’s main course. Hall of Famers Cris Carter and Warren Sapp have agreed, for a small fee, to lead the last panel discussion. They are introduced on the big screens with a video montage; each of them watches from the green room. There’s a clip from early in Sapp’s career, a Bucs-Vikings game with the pair going head-to-head. In it, Carter sidles up to a corn-rowed Sapp after a play and says, “Big fella, I’m gonna give a you a little bit more time to use what God gave you. You a leader. God wanna’ use you. You ain’t get all that talent for yourself!”

Watching the clip from a green room couch, Sapp bursts into laughter and falls to his side as if he’s been shot.

The longtime friends take the stage as the rookies applaud. Carter, wearing black and white dress shoes, lays his Hall of Fame jacket across the back of his chair. Sapp wears a polo and jeans, sans jacket. They spend about 30 seconds in the chairs before advancing to the edge of the stage. Before they were legends, both stumbled on and off the field. Tonight, they deliver a message of practicality.

“Do not believe them when they tell you [your team] is a family,” Sapp says. “When you go to Disney World with your family and the baby is falling behind, everybody stops for the baby. That’s what a family does. But this is a brotherhood of men. You’re going to have to be accountable to the men that you line up with.”

Sapp’s delivery is understated. He clenches a fist, pounding it into an open hand with a fatherly look on his face. Carter is animated, pacing and shouting with the cadence of a Southern Baptist preacher. He brings up Rams rookie Lamarcus Joyner, whom Carter mentored in high school, and invites him to try on his Hall of Fame jacket to the oohs of the crowd.

“If somebody told you right now, at the end, you could be in the Hall of Fame,” Carter says, “what would you do? Because you need to answer that question in five weeks. If somebody had told me what that jacket would mean, I wouldn’t have gotten in trouble. I wouldn’t have been suspended. I would be a better teammate. I wouldn’t have been doing that dumb s— if somebody had told me what this jacket would mean.”

Their advice is visceral and blunt.

Carter: “There’s no hiding crimes anymore. Everybody is TMZ.”

Sapp: “Even the ones in your crew.”

Carter: “Say that again, bro.”

Sapp: “Even the ones in your crew.”

Carter and Sapp’s formula of braggadocio as motivation works well with this audience. They talk about their jackets and their rings, how their mothers are permanently retired, how Carter has never made less than $250,000 a year since ’87. Sapp once had “as many cars as the garage would hold.”

“These grown men in the league,” Carter warns, “aren’t trying to give that up.”

sapp-carter.jpg

Carter (left) and Sapp were seated when their talk started. They didn’t stay seated for long. (Courtesy of the NFL)

They start the Q&A right away, and Redskins rookie Lache Seastrunk asks a question that riles up the speakers: “What made you push every day?”

Says Sapp, “Boy, do you know they’re out there striking over $10 an hour?”

Carter: “What more motivation do you need? I want you to imagine being at Cowboys Stadium, back at home, and they say starting at running back: YOU. Back at home? Imagine how you’d feel! That’s the way you need to feel every morning. Because you’re blessed to even wear that logo, to even have your butt here… There’s only a few of us who’ve ever did this.”

Michael Sam asks for advice in conquering training camp, and Sapp delights in the opportunity to provide confidence.

“I watched your tape all day long,” Sapp says. “You know how to rip. I’ve seen you rip to the sky. Trust me, it still works. Go in with the same thing every day, and get a little bit better.”

Panthers first-rounder Kelvin Benjamin asks about dealing with family demands, and Carter takes the opportunity to call him out. He brings Benjamin on stage and attempts to slip the jacket on, but the 6-5 Benjamin is too long to get the second arm in. Carter drapes it over his shoulders instead.

“I’m gonna tell you,” Carter says, “you’ve got rare ability. You need to love the game, like when you were a boy. I didn’t always see that at Florida State. You might love your mama, but you don’t love football like I love it.”

Vikings rookie quarterback Teddy Bridgewater asks the best question of the day: “For many of us, football was the only way out. Do you have any advice on transitioning out of the game?”

Carter’s advice seems to contradict that of previous panelists.

“This is the best job you’re ever going to have,” he says. “I don’t like to get too much into your second career, because this is the hardest career you’re ever going to have. They can bring in somebody else to talk to you about your [next] career.”

They go on for an hour and a half, at times speaking to individual players as if they are the only ones in the room, at times screaming at the top of their lungs. They finish to a standing ovation. This is as honest and energetic as the symposium gets.

Carter sums it up, stomping and wild-eyed: “Do what the next man won’t.”

clinton-dix-800.jpg

Green Bay Packers first-round pick Ha Ha Clinton-Dix snaps a picture of Deacon Jones’ Hall of Fame bust. (Phil Long/AP)

DAY 4

The final day is Hall of Fame day. The rookies clear out of the Bertram at 7 a.m. and load onto five charter buses headed down the Ohio turnpike for Canton. A marching band from McKinley High greets them at the entrance, playing a rendition of Waka Flocka Flame’s “O Let’s Do It” that delights Lions tight end Eric Ebron.

The 10th pick of the draft is the most visible rookie at the NFC symposium, with a gold-frosted mohawk fade and a constant, magnetic grin. The Lions’ resident rookie storyteller puts the homie in bonhomie. If there was an NFC symposium prom king vote, he would win in a landslide.

The rookies hear a message from HOF president Dave Baker before embarking on tours. The Lions and 49ers are paired together as one of the final groups.

Niners third-round center Marcus Martin, the youngest member of the team at 20 years old, arrives as the tour begins at 9:04 am. He overslept and had to catch a ride with NFL staff. The group passes an exhibit featuring an archaic football helmet from 1901 featuring a nose protector that is said to have done more harm than good.

“I swear on everything,” says Ebron, “I’d have been playing basketball.”

They happen upon a mural boasting Art Shell as the first black head coach in the NFL’s modern era, in 1989. The rookies are incredulous.

“That’s crazy,” mutters one. “1989?”

“That’s like when Tupac got shot,” says another (he’s only seven years off).

ebron-webster.jpg

Ebron, the most outspoken rookie in the NFC group, is on the receiving end of a hug from fellow Lions rookie Larry Webster. (Phil Long/AP)

The tour moves slowly as the groups ahead create a backlog, but soon the Lions and 49ers enter the Hall’s holy grail—the dark, dome-roofed room filled with the bronze busts of every man enshrined. Most of the players skip the 1930’s, 40’s and 50’s and go straight to Lawrence Taylor, Class of 1999. A few hang back and click through the video boards showing highlights of every enshrinee. Lions defensive lineman Caraun Reid zooms to Colts legend Art Donovan, who attended his high school in the Bronx. In another group, Panthers defensive end Kony Ealy paced his teammates and supplanted the tour guide, rattling off positions and college and statistics for Hall of Famers going back to the 60’s.

Turner stops to admire the bust of Bill Walsh, the late 49ers coach. “I always have to see my guy when I go on,” he says.

Turner played linebacker for the 49ers from 1980-90, when Walsh and Dr. Harry Edwards started a resource for players’ lives off the field. At first, Edwards focused on degree completion, bringing in professors from the University of San Francisco to teach classes at the 49ers facility

“The whole idea of a resource at the club was Bill Walsh and Dr. Edwards,” Turner says. “At some point down the road the league adopted player programs, which became player engagement and spawned all of this.”

In another room, encased in glass, sits the next Lombardi trophy, which will remain in Canton until Super Bowl week in Arizona. Niners rookies agree to take a picture with the trophy, their team having been within a game of winning it in each of the last two seasons. Bruce Ellington thinks there in fact taking a video and breaks into a Nae Nae to everyone’s delight.

At Ebron’s urging, the Lions skip on posing with the trophy. “We don’t even want to get near it,” he says. “We don’t want to jinx it.”

They file up a curving ramp and into an amphitheater with two big screens and a rotating base of seats that spins the viewers 180 degrees as they take in NFL Films’ account of the 2013 playoffs, and the Seahawks’ domination of the Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII. The Niners rookies file out uninspired. Someone else won the trophy half of them had just posed with. Why should they marvel again at the Legion of Boom four months after the fact?

Fourth-round cornerback Keith Reaser is especially annoyed: “I’m tired of hearing about the damn Seahawks.”

Back in the big lecture hall the players are getting antsy, wondering when it will all be over. Ebron, relaying a story to a fellow rookie 20 feet away, is reminded not to say n—–. In light of the league’s effort to eradicate the word, Player Engagement reps scold young black players on their word choice dozens of times over the course of the symposium.

“My bad,” Ebron says, “my brotha…”

The charter buses wait outside and several dozen autograph seekers have lined up along barricades guarded by smiling police officers.

aneaus-williams-800.jpg

Aeneas Williams ended the symposium with a speech that differed from those of his fellow Hall of Famers. (Phil Long/AP)

When Troy Vincent revamped the symposium, he brought in recent retirees who were his contemporaries. He also put an emphasis on men who shared his strong Christian faith. Hall of Famer Aeneas Williams, who will give the symposium’s final address, fits the bill on both counts.

“Think about how you want this thing to end,” says Williams. “Warren and Cris talked about making changes outwardly and not inwardly. When God changed my spirit, it wasn’t that I was made perfect. The difference that Christ made is that there’s now a thought before my actions.”

There are contradictions at work here, which Williams is bold enough to point out, and which seem to be inherent to the symposium. Beware of all women one speaker suggests, but treat all people as equals, says another. Do the right thing vs. Maintain the appearance of doing the right thing.

That the NFL has no problem with presenting these contradictions belies the homogenous reputation of the league. As the disparate career path of Hall of Famers Sapp and Williams will tell you, there’s more than one way to skin a cat. And in putting both speakers in front of the rookies, the NFL recognizes the value of a shotgun approach in education, and concedes that asking this group to assimilate to one way of doing things is as arrogant as it is flawed.

He finishes with a request that all participants stand and chant after him, “Begin with the end in mind!” At his urging, it crescendos after a dozen repetitions, then fades as several in the back of the room begin to look at one another incredulously. Surely, this thing must end soon. It does, after maybe two dozen chants.

Four days after it started in a darkened hotel ballroom, the symposium ends at the doorstep of football’s cathedral, under blue skies. The rookies file onto the buses, which will take them to the airport, which will lead to that critical month they’ve been talking about. They can smell what’s left of the summer.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Inviting the Nightmare
Donte Stallworth killed a man while driving drunk, a horror that will always be a part of him. Five years later, the former NFL wide receiver is telling his story to other players to ensure they don't make the same mistake
By Robert Klemko

stallworth-before-after.jpg

Stallworth was all smiles during training camp in 2008, having just signed a lucrative deal with the Browns. Eleven months later, he was being sentenced in a Miami court room. (Mark Duncan/AP; Walter Juste/AP/The Miami Herald)

AURORA, Ohio — Donte Stallworth wants to be in the correct frame of mind for tomorrow morning. Alone in a northeast Ohio hotel room, he flips open his laptop, pulls up a web browser and Googles himself.

“Donte Stallworth 911 call”

Stallworth: Ok, listen, listen … This guy just ran in front of my car and he’s [expletive] laying in the street dude … I, I …

Dispatcher: So you hit somebody in the street?

Stallworth: Yeah, you gotta send an ambulance right now man. He ran in front of the car sir, he like, jumped in front of the car.

Oh no. [Expletive]. Oh my God, this guy is … oh …

This is the second time he’s listened to the tape. The first was several months after it happened. On an early morning in March 2009, Stallworth killed a man while driving drunk.

The nightmares have come and gone for five years now, and the daytime flashbacks sometimes return when he rides in a car. (All he does is ride now—he can’t obtain a driver’s license in Florida for the rest of his life.) Tonight, on the eve of his appearance as a speaker at the NFL’s Rookie Symposium, he invites the nightmare.

“It brought back the feeling of looking down and seeing a man lying on the ground motionless,” Stallworth says. “I needed to feel it again, if I was going to instill that image.”

What Stallworth did and didn’t do five years ago is a more complicated story than many of us care to know. There’s the story he tells the rookies, the story he tells me, and the story he tells himself. Somehow, all of it’s true.

Everything starts with Mario Reyes. He and Stallworth share permanent residence in one another’s obituaries. Stallworth accepts this. He views all of his own problems in the shadow of the Reyes family. His fingers are mangled and knobby, but Reyes is dead. His sleep is haunted, but Reyes is dead. He lost all of the money he’d made in the NFL, but Reyes is dead. He has post-traumatic stress disorder, but Reyes is dead.

He’s reminded of this fact every other day on Twitter. The keyboards of anonymous strangers point it out whenever he tweets a controversial opinion, as if he’s forgotten all about it. To be fair, I was once like everyone else. I always wondered how Donte Stallworth, NFL player, did just 30 days in prison for DUI manslaughter, and I could only guess at the degree of audacity required for such a man to tweet opinions and debate politics in the open.

Then I met the man, bubbly and grinning before turning serious over lunch at the Rookie Symposium two weeks ago.

“The insults come a few times a week. It comes with being open,” says the ex-wide receiver, now 33. “I respond every now and then but never in a negative way. It’s a lose-lose battle for me.”

Two weeks ago Stallworth tweeted his excitement over the opportunity to address rookies on the consequences of drunk driving. A woman shot back: You’re a hypocrite. How can you tell them not to do that when you did it?

He responded: So I can help my bros avoid the same fate.

Stallworth took the podium in an amphitheater at the Bertram Hotel four times last week, flanked each time by the president of Mothers Against Drunk Driving. He delivered the talk he’d rehearsed in the hotel room. It has been nearly a year since he was last on a roster (Washington cut him last August), and he’s five years removed from March 14, 2009, the morning that delivered him here.

Stallworth was a member of the Browns, having signed a seven-year, $35 million deal the previous March. It was the last weekend before the start of Cleveland’s offseason program, and he was spending it in Miami, where he still lives today. At 2 a.m. on Saturday morning, a friend called and said it was his birthday, inviting Stallworth out for drinks. Stallworth showered, dressed, and took his Bentley to the Fontainebleau hotel, about 15 minutes away from home.

“That was mistake No. 1,” he tells the rookies. “I knew I was going to drink, because it was a friend’s birthday, and I drove anyway. I had driven drunk before. It’s that feeling of having it under control.”

Stallworth enjoyed several drinks of Patron, then drove home and was in bed, asleep by 5:30 a.m. He slept until 7, then woke up hungry. He knew of one place open that early, the News Café, 15 minutes away.

“Right as I was crossing the bridge,” Stallworth says, “not even five minutes from walking out of my apartment, was when Mr. Reyes was running across the street to catch the bus. That’s when I hit him.

“Sometimes in your mind, you may think that if you’re not ‘wasted’ then you’re okay to drive. That’s the issue. You’re never okay to drive when you’ve been drinking.”

That’s the version Commissioner Roger Goodell heard last November at the league’s New York offices when Stallworth laid out what he might say at the symposium if given the opportunity. It’s cut and dry. But that’s not to say it didn’t resonate. Buccaneers tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins got chills listening to Stallworth talk, bringing him back to his own DUI last year.

“You play that What if? game,” Seferian-Jenkins says. “What if I had killed someone? I was lucky that I didn’t die or hurt anyone. But Donte wasn’t, and it’s incredible that he can talk about it.”

Seferian-Jenkins and the rest of the NFC rookies didn’t hear the rest of the story, which is nearly as misunderstood as the man telling it.

He doesn’t look like an NFL player, with his slight frame and cheesy grin, until you get to his hands. They’re deformed the way a pass-catcher’s hands deform over the course of two decades in football, with crooks and bumps and bends all over. His left pinky is twisted and bowed outward, a victim of Bears cornerback Charles Tillman’s famous bump-and-run technique. During a preseason game in 2004, Stallworth’s finger lodged in Tillman’s facemask and when he yanked it loose it dislocated, tearing ligaments throughout. The brace hurt more than the original injury, so he decided to let it heal naturally; it didn’t.

Black tattoo ink spills from under the cuffs of his dress shirt, dotting his wrists and hands. He has a wedding ring tattooed on his left ring finger—a reminder that he’s married to himself, applied after a relationship went sour in 2012. “There was too much focus on her and not enough on me,” he says.

Introversion is near impossible for Stallworth. In Cleveland, he’d blast Frank Sinatra from the stereo in his locker as teammates rolled their eyes. In Washington, he advised teammates to examine Obama’s politics, and not to vote for him just because he’s black. He’d share political conspiracy theories during lulls in the workday, or buy a dozen copies of the latest government-related book he’d read and hand them out among teammates and staffers.

stallworth-wide.jpg

Donte Stallworth was a Brown when he was suspended by the league in 2009. He’d go on to play for three more teams after he was reinstated in 2010, but only caught 24 more passes. (Paul Spinelli/AP)

“He was always trying to make guys more aware of what was going on in the world and trying to get people to ask questions,” says former Browns director of communications Amy Palcic, who remains close with Stallworth.

When he hit Reyes, a construction worker trying to catch a bus home, it hadn’t occurred to him that he’d be investigated for DUI until they handed him a Breathalyzer at the scene. He blew a 0.126, above the Florida limit of .08. After his blood was drawn, he texted Palcic, “I need your prayers more than ever.”

Palcic joined Stallworth’s inner circle, which included attorney Chris Lyons, pal Steve Boucher and Rebecca Howard, an attorney married to Desmond Howard. Each exhausted their resources to keep him free. At first, he was facing more than a decade in prison if convicted of the charges at face value. But his squeaky clean background was considered, and he reached a settlement with the Reyes family, who would weigh in on the sentence.

Then the state’s prosecution analyzed a still-sealed traffic camera video, which showed Stallworth braking his vehicle immediately after Reyes ran into the street, outside of the crosswalk.

“The way everything happened,” he says, “I do feel that I would have hit him even if I was sober.”

So why, then, take full blame in front of the rookies and anyone else who asks?

“At the end of the day, I was wrong,” he says. “I was driving under the influence and should not have been. Anything after that doesn’t matter. I’ve accepted responsibility for it. If I wasn’t on that road it wouldn’t have happened, and if I wasn’t driving under the influence I wouldn’t have been on that road.”

There’s a strange, coincidental connection between Stallworth and one of the rookies he’s speaking to at this symposium. Bears rookie Brock Vereen, younger brother of Patriots running back Shane, was a high schooler enjoying his summer vacation when he got a call from his father the morning of March 14, 2009. The Vereens grew up in California, but Henry Vereen was in Miami for work as a video engineer. He was one of the first bystanders to see the aftermath, before police removed Reyes’s body.

“He was in shock,” Brock remembers. “He said he saw a body, and he was just amazed at how far away from the car it was. You see that kind of stuff in movies, not in real life.

“To hear Donte talk about everything at my symposium was crazy—the girl, especially.”

stallworth-inline.jpg

Stallworth in court in 2009 (Carl Juste/AP)

“The girl” is the lone surviving child of Mario Reyes, now in her early 20’s. Stallworth is forbidden from contacting her or her family, due to a court order. In 2009, Stallworth agreed out of court to pay an undisclosed sum to the family. It meant giving up virtually everything he’d earned since the Saints drafted him in 2002—and yet, it didn’t feel like enough.

“She’ll be living with that for the rest of her life,” Stallworth says. “Her high school graduation, college graduation, she won’t have her father walk her down the aisle. People won’t necessarily talk about that, but it’s not just about Mr. Reyes or me. It’s a ripple effect. He had a family as well. I had a family.”

To pay the Reyes family, Stallworth last year had to sell the home he’d bought for his mother (she now lives with his brother). He continues to look for a job in media, having mentally—if not officially—retired from football.

When he thinks about the Reyes family, though, it’s not about the settlement. Two weeks after the accident, a representative for the family reached out to Stallworth’s attorney and asked to pass along a message: They were appreciative of how Stallworth owned up to his mistake.

“That gesture was one of the things that really helped the healing process,” he says.

Stallworth planned out the rest of his life: First, earn forgiveness from God, then from the Reyes family, then from his own family, then from the NFL. Finally, save fellow NFL players from making the same mistakes.

“That family made me feel like I had to get the message out,” he says, “because if they can forgive me, then I have a responsibility.”

Blue ink on white notebook paper. The prison letters were written in a solitary cell at a Miami-Dade jail. Stallworth spent nearly every hour in isolation during his 24 days because he was too high-profile for general population. Over the first few days, he spilled his heart to Palcic on paper, having accepted that his name would be attached inexorably to the manslaughter.

I not only have to battle being known only as a pro athlete, but as a pro athlete who pled guilty to DUI manslaughter. It’s all good, though. I’m in here cooking up a game plan on how I can get that done, so when my time expires, it will be Donte Stallworth, a man who accomplished great things while he was here, had a speed bump, but excelled through the controversy and left a great impression on the world.

The way to that goal, Stallworth acknowledged, was not clear then, and still isn’t now. He didn’t anticipate the nightmares five years later, or the NFL-mandated therapist who would become his full-time resource. Four years after the league suspended him for a full season, and the Browns cut him one year into that big contract, he’s still on probation (until 2017) and still struggling financially. When Washington cut him last August, he sulked around his place in Miami for a few weeks before committing himself full-time to media opportunities and projects like the symposium.

“I think he’s finally able to wrap his arms around the responsibility he feels,” Palcic says. “I think he can look back and understand all the mistakes that led him to that night. Being done with football is part of that.”

Stallworth is in preliminary talks with the NFL about signing on as a speaker for individual teams. In past seasons, he’s addressed the Ravens, Patriots and Washington in much the same way he did the rookies last week. The reception has been good so far, though it’s rare to see his efforts immediately validated. After Stallworth expounds on the consequences of his actions, there aren’t typically enough questions for a Q&A. The subject matter is just too raw. It’s in quiet moments in locker rooms and cafeterias that Stallworth gets feedback, and hope.

After his Tuesday symposium sessions, an NFC first-rounder approached Stallworth quietly to ask several questions. Among them: “Did you feel drunk at all when you woke up at 7 a.m.?”

“No,” Stallworth told him. “If I had been asked to walk a straight line, I would’ve walked it.”

Stallworth finished his final presentation at the AFC symposium with a quote from 19th century German chancellor Otto von Bismarck: “Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others.”

The story Stallworth tells himself is simple: Play the fool, save a life.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Two weeks ago Stallworth tweeted his excitement over the opportunity to address rookies on the consequences of drunk driving. A woman shot back: You’re a hypocrite. How can you tell them not to do that when you did it?

He responded: So I can help my bros avoid the same fate.
People like this woman are why we need sort of common sense test before you're allowed on the Internet.