Youth movement at CB behind veteran starters

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend

Jalen Ramsey excited about Rams' CB depth, calls Decobie Durant 'sneaky super athletic'​

You know, I was always sold on Ramsey's talent... that's not hard to do. But the Jaguar issues really covered up how great of a teammate this guy is and how much he loves his team being the best as possible. He has been such a huge addition for this defense beyond his freakish ability on the field. Love seeing how dedicated he is to improving everyone and not just himself. And he's so smart that I'm hoping he can stay around for a long time to come. Even if he slips a little at CB as he ages he can always do an Aeneas situation and have him at safety to end his career. Whatever it takes to keep him in our backfield as long as possible will be a benefit to our team.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah and Jalen's probably maturing too. That has a lot to do with it I think. I mean even with some of his immaturity in his early years he was always a fine player and produced on the field. Now he's more of an adult and you see it with the way he's leading that room.

If these kids come in and help quickly the secondary is going to be a lot better this year. And Jalen might see a shift in how he's used too, depending on how good those other secondary pieces are. For an example of what I mean if someone can lock the slot down then Ramsey won't be moving there unless it's for run game support or when there's a dangerous slot matchup threat with good size.

What will really be fun is if they get upgraded at both those corner posts alongside Ramsey. Long way to go before we can say that might be the case, but it's possible and I find that to be exciting for now.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You know, I was always sold on Ramsey's talent... that's not hard to do. But the Jaguar issues really covered up how great of a teammate this guy is and how much he loves his team being the best as possible. He has been such a huge addition for this defense beyond his freakish ability on the field. Love seeing how dedicated he is to improving everyone and not just himself. And he's so smart that I'm hoping he can stay around for a long time to come. Even if he slips a little at CB as he ages he can always do an Aeneas situation and have him at safety to end his career. Whatever it takes to keep him in our backfield as long as possible will be a benefit to our team.
The early clips of Ramsey out there coaching up guys when he isn't cleared to full practice are great and something everybody needs to see. It's great for our secondaries future IMO.

Love that they've addressed the position recently with youth and I really really like the players added. Rochell was one of my guys last year as a target for CB pickups in the draft like Durant was this year, though neither were top of the list type guys they were guys I liked. I totally whiffed on the Safeties but these young CB are a great sign for our future.

MachS

Hall of Fame
You know, I was always sold on Ramsey's talent... that's not hard to do. But the Jaguar issues really covered up how great of a teammate this guy is and how much he loves his team being the best as possible. He has been such a huge addition for this defense beyond his freakish ability on the field
McVay's best asset arguably is getting elite level players to buy into one team, one goal and do all the right things. Which is pretty incredible given how great of a playcaller and offensive mind he is. If the player doesn't fit for whatever reason we dont hesitate to move on and bring in more talent.

It's been great to see Jalen mature and reach his potential. I expect him to have an excellent season this year after the two tough playoff games vs TB and CIN. And ironically those two "bad" games was really like 3 bad plays. Which comes with the life as a corner I guess.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hoping BIG that things work out positively for the Rams with these new secondary coaches & the four newly drafted DB rookies during TC & preseason. With the experienced of Long & Hill, the 3 other younger corners (Robert Rochell, Decobie Durant & Derion Kendrick) can be slowly stewed for much bigger roles in 2023 to be teamed with Jalen Ramsey.

Jalen Ramey was a great deep safety for the Noles in college!

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Hoping BIG that things work out positively for the Rams with these new secondary coaches & the four newly drafted DB rookies during TC & preseason. With the experienced of Long & Hill, the 3 other younger corners (Robert Rochell, Decobie Durant & Derion Kendrick) can be slowly stewed for much bigger roles in 2023 to be teamed with Jalen Ramsey.

Jalen Ramey was a great deep safety for the Noles in college!
Could save some valuable cap space $ too next year (& 2024+) allowing Love/Hill to leave via FA and have the young (cheap) CBs man the secondary with Ramsey.