Youth movement at CB behind veteran starters

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams training camp preview: Youth movement at CB behind veteran starters​

Cameron DaSilva /July 20, 2022

1658328939077.png

Even though the Rams don’t often extend their own homegrown defensive backs, cornerback is a position they value greatly. They acquired Jalen Ramsey in 2019, they brought back Troy Hill this year, they drafted Robert Rochell, Decobie Durant and Derion Kendrick in the last two years and also added David Long Jr. in 2019.

The result is a collection of both youth and experience, with the latter leading the way atop the depth chart. The younger guys will need to step up because the Rams only have two locked-in starters.

Here’s a preview of the cornerback group as training camp is set to get underway.
1658328921656.png

• Jalen Ramsey
  • Troy Hill
  • Robert Rochell
  • Decobie Durant
  • David Long Jr.
I truly don’t see any of these players getting cut before the season begins. Ramsey and Hill should be the two starters at cornerback when the Rams are in their base 3-4 defense, with a third cornerback rotating in for nickel packages.

Who that third cornerback will be is still TBD, but Rochell, Durant and Long are all in contention. Rochell is primarily an outside cornerback, Durant is likely to play mostly in the slot, and Long can play both spots.

Likely to make it​

1658329026825.png

• Derion Kendrick
Kendrick was a sixth-round pick, which puts him in a position between roster lock and on the bubble. Teams have certainly cut sixth-round rookies before, and just last year, the Rams cut Earnest Brown IV as a fifth-round rookie.

I think Kendrick has a great chance to make the team and be the fifth or sixth cornerback, as well as a special teams contributor, but he’s not a lock the same way Durant (a fourth-rounder) is.

On the bubble​

1658329061438.png

• Grant Haley
  • Tyler Hall
  • Caesar Dancy-Williams
  • T.J. Carter
  • Duron Lowe
There’s a lot of unproven talent in this group. Hall is the most experienced, while Haley is the only other non-rookie among this collection of players. Dancy-Williams, Carter and Lowe all went undrafted this year and were signed by the Rams as free agents.

It’ll take a standout performance in training camp and the preseason for any of these players to make the 53-man roster, given the talent ahead of them.

Battle to watch: Rochell vs. Long vs. Durant vs. Kendrick​

63adc85461c24fd09cf97d48a0e784ec.jpg

This will be one of the best camp battles to watch this summer. It’s a complete toss-up for the third cornerback spot behind Ramsey and Hill, and the Rams have some quality – yet, unproven – options available.

Rochell started a handful of games last season before getting injured, and although he experienced some rookie growing pains, his size and athleticism make him an intriguing outside cornerback.

Long has the most experience of this trio, having started six games in the last two seasons. He played well in the postseason, picking off one pass and returning it for a touchdown against the Cardinals.

Durant is the sleeper in this group, being a slightly undersized cornerback who has excellent ball skills. Even Kendrick could factor into the mix as a sixth-round rookie, given the coverage skills he showed in college.

Potential sleeper: Kendrick​

USATSI_17437482.jpg

A rookie draft pick may not be considered a sleeper by some, but in a crowded cornerback room, Kendrick is certainly someone to watch. What he lacks in speed and overall athleticism he makes up for with good coverage skills and instincts.

He was a great value in the sixth round and if put in the right situation as primarily a zone cornerback, he could excel in the Rams’ scheme.

Projected depth chart​

USATSI_15370674.jpg

• Starters: Ramsey, Hill, Long
  • Backups: Rochell, Durant, Kendrick
The Rams went thin at cornerback last season, only keeping four cornerbacks initially – plus a few safeties who could also line up at corner. This year, I think that changes. With the injuries the Rams suffered at corner last year and the inconsistency some players had, they should go deeper at this position.

Six might seem like a lot, but only Ramsey, Hill and Long have multi-year experience in the NFL. The other three are still in prove-it mode, so the more bodies they have at the position, the better chance someone will emerge as a quality starter.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Add to the fact the Rams have one addition of an Assistant Coach and one promotion plus another that moved from Coaching Intern to Defensive Assistant.

1. Jonathan Cooley....Cooley the Assistant Defensive Back Coach last season, now holds the title of Defensive Back Coach and was blocked by the Rams, when the Vikings requested permission to interview Cooley. Cooley was given the credit of designing the scheme the Rams utilized late in the season and had success throughout post season. Glad the Rams kept the John Carroll University Alum (Same School as London Fletcher.)
  2. Chris Shula...It a somewhat surprising move, Shula went from OLB Coach to Pass Game Coordinator/Defensive Back Coach to give Shula not only supervisory tag, but also more exposure overseeing the secondary. This is a big move up for the Grandson of Don Shula and let's hope he's up to the task.
  3. Lance Schulters...Schulters goes from a Coaching Intern to securing a job as Defensive Assistant with focus on the Secondary/Safety. Schulters pretty good safety in his day and now will aid & assist the duo of Cooley & Shula to hopefully continue the improved secondary play.
1658330873797.png

1658330909578.png

1658330936673.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Last year's secondary would have been run out of the playoffs if we hadn't added Von. We were weak in the slot whenever Ramsey wasn't lined up there. Forget where I saw the stats but we were in the bottom group in slot yards allowed.

So the Rams drafting two slot corners and bringing Hill back were not coincidences. They know they need to be better this year in coverage. They can't be giving up easy completions across the middle with a lesser rush.

Generally slot corners can play/contribute quickly as rookies. So there is zero chance any of the holdovers move into that job. It's gonna be a rookie or Hill. And between the two we know what Hill is, which is a guy who does some dumb shit at times. I think that job will go to Durant and he'll do well with it on the coverage side. Just need to rotate him out vs the power run teams on the sched.

Long and Rochell both need to be fully invested in that other outside hash job. Hill is a fallback there too but hopefully one of those holdovers has a great camp and makes a move to own the job. Ideally Hill serves in a nickel role, giving us one of the best depth pieces around in terms of flexibility as a plug and play nickel/dime.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Rams stand a high probability of not having 2 of their 3 starting corners David Long & Troy Hill here after this season both are UFA's in March.

The safety unit will also have the same issue with 2 of their 3 top safeties departing for free agency. One might summarize there is a strong chance that 4 of the Rams top 6 DB's could be gone in March of 2023.

Thus most Ram fans would think there is a good chance all four of Snead's 2022 drafted DB's should make this team due to the above pending upcoming secondary changes.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's what I expect things to look like post-camp: Ramsey > Long > Durant (Slot) > Hill (First rotation for multiple packages) > Rochell. You can flip Durant/Hill if the rook isn't ready to take the slot, and ideally Rochell takes that job outside the hash, so depth-wise they look solid I just wish they were a bit better at that spot opposite Ramsey. That last roster spot will be down to teams and who shows what. I think Williams might get a long look due to his zone ability and size but hopefully whoever is in that CB6 slot offers some teams potency.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Here's what I expect things to look like post-camp: Ramsey > Long > Durant (Slot) > Hill (First rotation for multiple packages) > Rochell. You can flip Durant/Hill if the rook isn't ready to take the slot, and ideally Rochell takes that job outside the hash, so depth-wise they look solid I just wish they were a bit better at that spot opposite Ramsey. That last roster spot will be down to teams and who shows what. I think Williams might get a long look due to his zone ability and size but hopefully whoever is in that CB6 slot offers some teams potency.

My expectation would be Ramsey, Rochell, and Long (to start with). Hill's a solid backup, and Durant and Kendrick will likely learn behind them. Durant is arguably my favorite player drafted; were he two inches taller, he'd be considered in the first round. You simply don't see many players with his speed, coverage ability and ball skills. If Kendrick has his head screwed on right, he could be great as well. Still, I think Rochell is quite underrated; he, BB3 (once he returns from suspension, of course. It irks me that a serial predator like Watson could get a lesser suspension for his actions than BB3 did for his.), and Harris aren't the shiny new toys anymore, but they all still have loads of potential.

I also noted that this doesn't include Daniel Isom, whom I think is an extremely talented - if slightly volatile - defensive back (along with Caesar Dancy-Williams, I think those two make the practice squad and have the best chance of making the active roster with guys like Duron Lowe, T.J. Carter, and Jairon McVea (safety) competing for a spot.) Maybe they consider him more of a safety than a cornerback? I don't know.

In any case? I see us having eleven defensive backs on our roster. I'd hate to lose Lake or Yeast because I see potential in both of them. Wouldn't be surprised to see Rapp dealt to a team for a future pick or as part of a package to get an edge rusher because we aren't keeping six safeties.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Rochell is my pick for Rams breakout defender this year. I really like what I've seen from him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My expectation would be Ramsey, Rochell, and Long (to start with). Hill's a solid backup, and Durant and Kendrick will likely learn behind them. Durant is arguably my favorite player drafted; were he two inches taller, he'd be considered in the first round. You simply don't see many players with his speed, coverage ability and ball skills. If Kendrick has his head screwed on right, he could be great as well. Still, I think Rochell is quite underrated; he, BB3 (once he returns from suspension, of course. It irks me that a serial predator like Watson could get a lesser suspension for his actions than BB3 did for his.), and Harris aren't the shiny new toys anymore, but they all still have loads of potential.

I also noted that this doesn't include Daniel Isom, whom I think is an extremely talented - if slightly volatile - defensive back (along with Caesar Dancy-Williams, I think those two make the practice squad and have the best chance of making the active roster with guys like Duron Lowe, T.J. Carter, and Jairon McVea (safety) competing for a spot.) Maybe they consider him more of a safety than a cornerback? I don't know.

In any case? I see us having eleven defensive backs on our roster. I'd hate to lose Lake or Yeast because I see potential in both of them. Wouldn't be surprised to see Rapp dealt to a team for a future pick or as part of a package to get an edge rusher because we aren't keeping six safeties.
There was a time when I thought Long might be an answer in the slot. But given the way things went last season I don't see anyone offering an answer there unless they were brought in this year. It's a wide open job IMO. If Hill gets it I'll be a bit disappointed but we'll definitely be better there vs last year.

I want a guy in the slot who teams don't like challenging. This is why I think Durant offers so much for us this year, he's sticky and risky to throw at which alone make us better there day one if he wins the job.

Rapp all I can say is his value now that we are two deep at ILB degrades. And also I think Hummel might surprise, watching his film in that defense it's hard to imagine him not being able to win a depth role. He's got a nice game to him, seems like he's in position so he's a smart dude and he covers good ground. But yeah still surprised Rapp wasn't moved, which means Raheem must really like his strengths.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
There was a time when I thought Long might be an answer in the slot. But given the way things went last season I don't see anyone offering an answer there unless they were brought in this year. It's a wide open job IMO. If Hill gets it I'll be a bit disappointed but we'll definitely be better there vs last year.

I want a guy in the slot who teams don't like challenging. This is why I think Durant offers so much for us this year, he's sticky and risky to throw at which alone make us better there day one if he wins the job.

Rapp all I can say is his value now that we are two deep at ILB degrades. And also I think Hummel might surprise, watching his film in that defense it's hard to imagine him not being able to win a depth role. He's got a nice game to him, seems like he's in position so he's a smart dude and he covers good ground. But yeah still surprised Rapp wasn't moved, which means Raheem must really like his strengths.

Long actually played quite well in the slot during the playoffs. Not to say that Durant won't eventually get it, because I totally agree with you, but I think Long earns the spot at the start of the season.

Hummel is good, but I still prefer Rozeboom for special teams. It'll be an interesting battle for the last ILB spot for sure.

I think Rapp will get moved eventually; this is his last year under contract, and they just drafted two versatile safeties (albeit in the later rounds).

oldnotdead

Legend
I don't see Hill as a starter. I think he's more of an option for them for Deayon. Long would start before Hill.

Rochell was the starter opposite Ramsey last year and I think he will be again this year. Robert certainly did not play himself out of his position. Durant was taken in the 4th round as was Rochell, and I feel that before the end of the season he will be the #3 CB. Next year it will allow whoever is DC be it Morris or anyone else, the flexibility to move Ramsey where ever they want. All three can play all three CB positions. Durant has excellent speed to play outside, and he won't be outrun inside as well which is where I see him getting most of his snaps as he gains experience. SCB is the most difficult DB position to play.

I don't see Long or Hill on this team next year.

I can see Kendrick getting a redshirt year unless he really shines in TC. That said I think going forward beyond this year that Ramsey, Rochell, Durant and Kendrick are expected to be the core 4 CBs on this roster. I see Rapp gone after this year with Lake taking his place.

IMO this is the transition year for this secondary. Starting next year it's going to be completely revamped.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Don't think any of the young rookies will earn a starting position until possibly mid to late mid season unless the injury bug bites. More likely we see them rotated in slowly but surely to get them some game reps. Excited to see who possibly steps up.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Rams stand a high probability of not having 2 of their 3 starting corners David Long & Troy Hill here after this season both are UFA's in March.

The safety unit will also have the same issue with 2 of their 3 top safeties departing for free agency. One might summarize there is a strong chance that 4 of the Rams top 6 DB's could be gone in March of 2023.

Thus most Ram fans would think there is a good chance all four of Snead's 2022 drafted DB's should make this team due to the above pending upcoming secondary changes.

It’s a long way from that.

Everyone can have there OWN view.
This article was CRAP saying The Rams don’t sign their CB’s

Freaking Sean Mcvay had to FRANCHISE Tru Johnson for a 2nd time. I that doesn’t speak VOLUMES?

The Rams & McSnead started there Comp picks from there & making deals. All while cleaning house.

IMO Bonifay’d you need to stay in the moment. If your looking until next season your looking to FAR!Your missing the point & what is really going on.

I’ve watched enough to have a strong opinion.My example of what I’m saying as far as looking to far is last season with The Offensive-Line

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Don't think any of the young rookies will earn a starting position until possibly mid to late mid season unless the injury bug bites. More likely we see them rotated in slowly but surely to get them some game reps. Excited to see who possibly steps up.

Finally a real voice of reason. I won’t say it won’t happen either that a rookie starts. It’s still only total off-season. Next week there will be more 411.

Ernest Jones is a good example of a early/late rd pick making an impact as a rookie.

—Adding RR31 & Troy Hill are my favorites right now.Training Camp without #5 is perfect to see who takes over The Leadership role.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
YEAH - let’s put some ROD-COIN down. Just the crap about Hill ticks me off.

Think a lot of Ram Fansbhave these opinions & forget about injuries & the process of 2021.

I see Merlin you have the blinders on & just want to see the DARK-SIDE of the past & look into the future with a made up image.

Either way Incould be totally wrong.

I’m a big Fan if 3 T’s on D!!

T. Hill who Mcvay LOVES. For a the crap you say. He got paid,gave The Rams a Comp Pick,brought him back for cheap. Had 3 TD’s in 2020!BTW Dude is a stud & works hard.Wants to be a Ram & Jalen looks up to him more than any of The Rams CB’s.

T. Lewis - I don’t know, there was a rumor once again dissing on the guy. IMOnhe is a DAWG! The Rams have there meaning & know what’s up.

T.Burgees- think Ram Fans forget about him. He has those nice cover & zone skills. He is a Veteran Niw that knows this Defense well. If anyone goes to Training Camp you will see T. Burgees out there calling out plays & reading the offense. A skill he learned from being taught by one of the best coaches at it in Aubrey Pleasant.

These 3 T’s are part of the CORE ofnThe Rams defense & there development.

There is so much more than just the 3T’s,but that is just a little connection that help support the foundation & structure of WE not ME that add to a piece of the pillars.

KJD_Ram

Rookie
Lance Schulters...Schulters goes from a Coaching Intern to securing a job as Defensive Assistant with focus on the Secondary/Safety. Schulters pretty good safety in his day and now will aid & assist the duo of Cooley & Shula to hopefully continue the improved secondary play.
all I can hear is Chris Berman's lame "SGT Sculters" shtick....must be PTSD....

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Last year's secondary would have been run out of the playoffs if we hadn't added Von. We were weak in the slot whenever Ramsey wasn't lined up there. Forget where I saw the stats but we were in the bottom group in slot yards allowed.

So the Rams drafting two slot corners and bringing Hill back were not coincidences. They know they need to be better this year in coverage. They can't be giving up easy completions across the middle with a lesser rush.

Generally slot corners can play/contribute quickly as rookies. So there is zero chance any of the holdovers move into that job. It's gonna be a rookie or Hill. And between the two we know what Hill is, which is a guy who does some dumb shit at times. I think that job will go to Durant and he'll do well with it on the coverage side. Just need to rotate him out vs the power run teams on the sched.

Long and Rochell both need to be fully invested in that other outside hash job. Hill is a fallback there too but hopefully one of those holdovers has a great camp and makes a move to own the job. Ideally Hill serves in a nickel role, giving us one of the best depth pieces around in terms of flexibility as a plug and play nickel/dime.

We’ll and Bobby Wagner is as massive coverage upgrade over the middle. He’s the single biggest reason why the Seahawks beat up on the 9ers when we struggled… run and pass D over the middle… should make the job of the slot much easier

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Also, remember, McVay tends to bring rooks along SLOWLY.

Both because we don’t have 1st round picks and due to coaching influences, McVay has yet to throw rooks into the deep end in either side of the ball. They may play, but as depth and generally only seeing significant time later if they’ve earned it or due to injury.

This ain’t the old days… we develop rookies now.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Long actually played quite well in the slot during the playoffs. Not to say that Durant won't eventually get it, because I totally agree with you, but I think Long earns the spot at the start of the season.

Hummel is good, but I still prefer Rozeboom for special teams. It'll be an interesting battle for the last ILB spot for sure.

I think Rapp will get moved eventually; this is his last year under contract, and they just drafted two versatile safeties (albeit in the later rounds).

I’m getting so amped for this season, I’ve been rewatching highlights and full games from last year. I have to say, Long was playing well in the beginning, prior to injury. He played well in the playoffs.
He’s my odds on favorite to start opposite Ramsey. Hill probably starts in the slot game 1.

Not sure the season will end with those 3 all starting, nor do I think they will start every game. It’s a long season if we’re going back to back. Looking at those early games, it’s impressive to see how much change the Rams endured to go all the way. I forgot we had dj at WR before releasing him!
All of those DBs will see the field in one capacity or another, depending on how fast they learn their jobs—if for no other reason, the Rams have to know how many more they will need to draft next year.

As for Rapp, I don’t see the Rams getting any more for him via trade vs a comp pick next year. Again, long season, keep him.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
We’ll and Bobby Wagner is as massive coverage upgrade over the middle. He’s the single biggest reason why the Seahawks beat up on the 9ers when we struggled… run and pass D over the middle… should make the job of the slot much easier

The interesting thing will be how Raheem Morris adapts to Wagners
style in his defense.

The DB’s will be able to be able to make switching things easier.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I want Rochell to win the job opposite Ramsey. That would give the secondary it's best shape, imo.
Durant is undersized.. but has a physical profile very similar to Darious Williams, and I believe JR mentioned that coaches are high on his ability to play inside or outside.
I'm much more enthusiastic about the secondary depth this year.. and think the starters could be a step up from last year as well. It just depends on growth.
Another thing I'm excited about is seeing the flexibility in that secondary. I think there's a good chance we see more frequent use of secondary personnel groupings specifically designed for specific opponents. Like bigger groupings against the Niners, for example.. to out-physical them at the point of attack.