Your top 2013 FA for the Rams to pick up

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
I dont think the Rams are going to bring in any FA of real consequence, instead focusing on signing their own guys.
However, of all the FAs out there the guy I would like to see them pick up more than any other (that they might have a chance of signing) is Brandon Moore, G. He would fill a need by stepping in at LG right away. He knows our OC having played for him in NY (where he made a couple of Pro Bowls if memory serves). He is over 30, but, salary ranges for even top paid guards are not super high, the two Gs on Tampa Bay are the two highest paid in the league and drive up the average....but all told there were only three Gs in the entire NFL that made over $5 M last year in base salary. It would see reasonable to be able to get a guy like Moore for around what Harvey Dahl is making ($3 M base last year). The Rams have plenty of their own FAs to sign and not much money. I would put adding a FA behind resigning guys like Turner, Hayes and Amendola....but, if they can find the money this would seem like a not terribly expensive way to upgrade a need.

Being realistic, who do you guys want the Rams to try and pick up?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who would I WANT the Rams to pickup? Jairus Byrd or Mike Wallace. Now being realistic, I'd say Dashon Goldson, Kenny Phillips or Glover Quin would be great additions. Just would like us to have a proven, talented safety.

As for Moore, I will disagree on him. He's a career RG and from talking to Jets fans and watching Jets games, his play is in decline. Jets fans are ok with letting him walk because he was only a solid player at best last year and his skills are on the decline.

If we're going OG, I'd hope we'd go after Levitre. But I'd peg Safety or WR as our biggest FA need. Probably safety due to the WR depth in the draft.

wolfman84

Rookie
If we had the cap space to bring in two outside free agents, I'ld like to see them get Jairus Byrd S, Buffalo, and Philip Wheeler OLB, Oakland. Both are probably high priority resigns for their respective teams and I wouldn't want to get in a bidding war for them but I believe the Rams would be an attractive landing spot for them as both would step into starting roles on a team on the rise. I see these two as the final pieces to our D, outside of depth, which can be addressed in the later rounds of the draft.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jrry32 said:
Who would I WANT the Rams to pickup? Jairus Byrd or Mike Wallace. Now being realistic, I'd say Dashon Goldson, Kenny Phillips or Glover Quin would be great additions. Just would like us to have a proven, talented safety.

As for Moore, I will disagree on him. He's a career RG and from talking to Jets fans and watching Jets games, his play is in decline. Jets fans are ok with letting him walk because he was only a solid player at best last year and his skills are on the decline.

If we're going OG, I'd hope we'd go after Levitre. But I'd peg Safety or WR as our biggest FA need. Probably safety due to the WR depth in the draft.

If we do a version of your mock offseason;

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12100

It would seem we would have the money to make a run at Wallace or Bowe.

I'm having a hard time thinking the Rams will go into 2013 without some type of near guaranteed upgrade at WR or TE.

The 2013 season and any chance to make the playoffs means we HAVE to score more points. It is not an option and the team is void of legit weapons on offense.

That said; IMO the FA priorities are; S, OLB, WR... and I like the names mentioned in by others above.

fearsomefour

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jrry32:

Fair enough on Moore. The only Jet game I watched and paid attention to was when they played the Rams. I was trying to find a mid price guy that could fill a need. Bryd is interesting for sure. If they are able to land either an OLB, S or G via FA it frees up one of the two first rounders.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
jrry32 said:

I could live with Byrd. They play 4-3 right?

But please, not Wallace. That dude wants a ton of money.

Isn't Phil Loadholt a FA? Why not...if...

the-price-is-right_feature.jpg

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
It's got to be Jairus Byrd for me. The guy's a top free safety, covers well, is a ballhawk, is willing to get involved in run support, and to top it all off, he's a native St. Louisan. Who wouldn't want him?